Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 6, 2010, 04:52:44 PM
Haxorus

Default Why there's not a MOTHER thread yet, I don't know

YAY~!!!!! I FEEEEL GOOOD FOR MAKING THIS THREAD~!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 6, 2010, 07:07:13 PM
Shaymin

...uhm. You apparently failed at making an actual productive statement in the making of this thread, so I'll do it for you.

The MOTHER series of games, developed by CREATURES and APE, began with a hit NES game simply titled MOTHER, featuring a boy with psychic powers named Ninten (after his flagship company) and his quest to save the world from the grasp of the alien Giygas.

MOTHER 2 was released in the US as EarthBound, albeit with poor commercial response. However, those that did play it ended up praising it. Now it's considered one of the greatest RPGs of its era- in fact, one of the greatest to exist. It was an SNES classic featuring Ness (named after the previous console, and also an anagram of SNES), hinted to be a descendant of Ninten, on a journey to stop Giygas from once again trying to destroy the world.

MOTHER 3 was a Japan-only GBA game featuring the timid Lucas and others on their journey to prevent the Pigmask Army (led by a main antagonist from EarthBound, Pokey) and the Masked Man from pulling the Seven Needles of the Nowhere Islands, and destroying the world. This game, despite raving fan chatter from the US/PAL/other territories, has been denied translation for localization, as have the other two games and their possible remakes.

Any and all discussion about these games can go here.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:09:25 PM
Haxorus

Well actually the alien from the first game is Giegue
Old June 6, 2010, 07:10:33 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueumbreon View Post
Well actually the alien from the first game is Giegue
Giegue is the Romaji translation of the Japanese name for Giygas. In English his name is translated as Giygas.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:25:27 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
This game, despite raving fan chatter from the US/PAL/other territories, has been denied translation for localization, as have the other two games and their possible remakes.
1) http://mother3.fobby.net They translated MOTHER 3, so you can play MOTHER 3 in English if you want.
2) Uh, you said that the other titles were denied translation/localization, when they both were. It's obvious about MOTHER 2 being translated & being brought to the US being renamed, "Earthbound."
MOTHER 1 actually did get fully translated by NoA themselves, however they never got to release it(they were gonna call it Earthbound), because they knew that if they did, it wouldn't sell considering it would've been released really close to the SNES release. A long time later, one employee sold the prototype he had while working for the game on eBay, this then was sold a bit before someone got & kept it. A ROM site owner, Demiforce, got up with it's then owner, and paid a large sum of money so he could borrow the game so he could dump it's contents & produce a ROM of it. Now, this was a while after the Earthbound(SNES) release, and the game was titled Earthbound, so Demiforce added the subtitle Zero on the main title screen, so it is mostly know in English as Earthbound Zero.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:00:50 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
1) http://mother3.fobby.net They translated MOTHER 3, so you can play MOTHER 3 in English if you want.
2) Uh, you said that the other titles were denied translation/localization, when they both were. It's obvious about MOTHER 2 being translated & being brought to the US being renamed, "Earthbound."
MOTHER 1 actually did get fully translated by NoA themselves, however they never got to release it(they were gonna call it Earthbound), because they knew that if they did, it wouldn't sell considering it would've been released really close to the SNES release. A long time later, one employee sold the prototype he had while working for the game on eBay, this then was sold a bit before someone got & kept it. A ROM site owner, Demiforce, got up with it's then owner, and paid a large sum of money so he could borrow the game so he could dump it's contents & produce a ROM of it. Now, this was a while after the Earthbound(SNES) release, and the game was titled Earthbound, so Demiforce added the subtitle Zero on the main title screen, so it is mostly know in English as Earthbound Zero.
I know, I didn't phrase that properly. MOTHER 1 and 3 weren't officially released in the US. What I meant was that an actual release of MOTHER 1 + 2 (a compilation game) was never released in the US, which were remakes of the first two games, and MOTHER 3 wasn't released in the US apart from ROMs and Tomato's fantranslation.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; June 6, 2010 at 08:01:10 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 02:21:01 AM
Haxorus

Mother 1 is a fantastic game with great music, a great plot, and graphics that look like they were made from MS paint. The movement wasn't the best, but I loved this game, and the final battle with Gyigyig, or Giegue still ups everyone on my top 10 best boss list. It's just the concept behind Giegue that's fantastic.

Mother 2 is when I started to, not like it in a sense. The musics were cheesy, the graphics were average, and the game play was just slow. It didn't really spark my attention. That until one of the biggest punch in the balls comes named "Giygas". Some many stupid theorys have upmerged for this red ****er that it's terrible. Aside from the fact that it's funny to watch people cry hat it wasn't released on virtual console, and it feels good to have the actual copy instead of the virtual one or whatever, it just makes me happy.
SHADENFREUDE

Mother 3 was by far my least favorite in the entire franchise, but, it wasn't bad. It was better then Earthbound, and, I guess you could cry at it. I guess.Meh, I really had a hate for that timid ******* "Lucas". I could care less if he died in a fire, hey, he'll probably do that now that
HIS MOM DIED, CLAUSE IS THE MASKED MAN AND HE KILLS HIMSELF, AND HIM AND HIS DAD ARE THE ONLY ONES ALIVE.
Spoiler Alert.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:20:26 AM
Haxorus

Wouldn't it be OSSIM if Ninten, Ana, Llyod, Teddy, Ness, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Lucas, Kumatora, Boney, Flint, and Duster all teamed up fur one TOTALLY OSSIM GAME OF MOTHER-NESS?
Old June 10, 2010, 03:38:11 AM
Haxorus

I havent played any of the series but please tell me why Giegue is defeated by a song.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:26:10 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaRaichu View Post
I havent played any of the series but please tell me why Giegue is defeated by a song.
Here's why:
Spoiler Alert:    
His "mother"(the lady who lost her memory in, as Loids are not Christmas calls it, Cloudland) sung it to him, however he hated it, plus it brings back memories of her.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:43:21 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueumbreon View Post
Wouldn't it be OSSIM if Ninten, Ana, Llyod, Teddy, Ness, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Lucas, Kumatora, Boney, Flint, and Duster all teamed up fur one TOTALLY OSSIM GAME OF MOTHER-NESS?
They were all part of different moments in history. The main characters in the first two MOTHERs would probably have died due to aging at that point. (The only reason that Pokey survived is because he travels through time.)