Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 21, 2010, 04:57:25 PM
Linoone

Default Your Opinion. That Golden Feeling

Is it just me or has that feeling of Pokemon disappeared. Remember when you were a little kid and you played Pokemon and felt that rush of excitement when you beat the Champion. Is that feeling gone for you too? I remember when I first beat Blue/Gary in Red and I felt so good. But now it seems like Pokemon has been corrupt by all the competitiveness of battling in real life. With the tournaments and prizes for battling in real life, it takes away from the main focus of the game and focuses on just using it to get that title or prize. I think Pokemon should return to what it once was, a game that everyone understood and people could have fun playing it. I just had to make this a point. Please tell me how you feel about this subject.

~Spitfire
Old August 21, 2010, 05:12:45 PM
Administrator

Perhaps Black and White might change that around?
Old August 21, 2010, 05:16:28 PM
Rayquaza

I first think they should come up with a better reward then just a cretificate for catching them all.

Personally I don't get a huge feel out of it since I didn't become an obsesive player until a couple years ago and I beat the game a lot so it doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited by Magmaster12; August 21, 2010 at 05:19:11 PM.
Old August 21, 2010, 05:16:52 PM
Regigigas

The last time I had an epic in game battle was against Wallace in Pokemon Emerald. My pokemon were REALLY under leveled and it came down to the wire, Breloom VS Ludicolo, each of us constantly using healing items.

However, most of pokemon's main plot is fairly easy. If you try you can get through it in a couple of days. It's the metagame that keeps the game fun. People are just trying to have fun, though some people do take themselves way too seriously. But it's fun to come up with teams and battle against real, unpredictable people. It's only when the battles become predictable again that they stop being fun.
Old August 21, 2010, 05:20:13 PM
Giratina

I think Pokémon's always been about battling and trading with your friends, it's just that, with the arrival of wireless battles and Wi-Fi battles, they've become a much bigger part. I still find it great fun, though, in fact, battling with others has far improved the game for me. I still love to play through the story of every game, as it's one of the best things to do! However, when you start to train competitively and battle with others, the game really expands! I still get a buzz when fighting the champion, especially if it's hard to get there, and I get a buzz when fighting a really tough battle with a friend! I think everyone can understand and have fun with Pokémon. It's easy to pick up and play, but when you get deep down you find that it's much more challenging to master.
Old August 21, 2010, 05:28:53 PM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I first think they should come up with a better reward then just a cretificate for catching them all.

Personally I don't get a huge feel out of it since I didn't become an obsesive player until a couple years ago and I beat the game a lot so it doesn't really matter to me.
Yea I have been playing Pokemon since I was 3. Lol it is what inspired me to read.
Old August 21, 2010, 05:34:51 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post

The reward for catching them all in Diamond isn't even a certificate. Oak tells you he's glad he became your friend.

Thanks, Oak, now where's my real reward?
Old August 21, 2010, 05:47:21 PM
Linoone

It takes forever to catch all of the Pokemon. However it is a fun task in the end.
Old August 22, 2010, 01:27:29 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
I think Pokémon's always been about battling and trading with your friends, it's just that, with the arrival of wireless battles and Wi-Fi battles, they've become a much bigger part. I still find it great fun, though, in fact, battling with others has far improved the game for me. I still love to play through the story of every game, as it's one of the best things to do! However, when you start to train competitively and battle with others, the game really expands! I still get a buzz when fighting the champion, especially if it's hard to get there, and I get a buzz when fighting a really tough battle with a friend! I think everyone can understand and have fun with Pokémon. It's easy to pick up and play, but when you get deep down you find that it's much more challenging to master.
I couldn't have put it any better. The excitement you get when you're climbing your way up to the champion is different than the excitement you get when you're battling competitively. Wi-fi battles and tournaments do not take away the fun from Pokémon, they add a whole new dimension to it. Also, with these additions, older fans have something deeper and more challenging which motivates them to play Pokémon. This is what makes Pokémon great: it is suitable for both young and old players due to the variety of its games and their mechanics.

Last edited by Shadow; August 22, 2010 at 01:32:25 AM.
Old August 22, 2010, 02:17:11 AM
Rayquaza

As fas as it has been said, Pokémon Black and White are going to be a new adventure, although as a Gen V. They said that it is going to be as exciting as Red and Blue were. Perhaps, the excitement you missed will be reformed with the release.

As for me, I still enjoy the game no matter what happens. The fact that you are raising a team is itself amazing.
Old August 22, 2010, 02:36:22 PM
Kyurem

Player: Oak! I caught all the Pokemon in the world!

Oak: Oh, congratulations! I am blessed to have a friend such as you.

Player: ...

Oak: ...why are you still here?

Player: Uh...don't I get a reward? I just spent countless hours playing this game, so I should at least get some recognition...

Oak: You probably should.

Player: ...

Oak: ...so...will you be on your way now?

Player: -_-
Old August 22, 2010, 02:38:06 PM
Landorus

Falkner looks like he has problems...
Old August 22, 2010, 02:53:28 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
Player: Oak! I caught all the Pokemon in the world!

Oak: Like it matters, in a few years we'll discover another 100 and your achievement will be useless.

Player: FFFFUUUUU!!!!!
Fixed it.