Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

 
 
  #1  
Old June 3, 2010, 12:23:41 PM
LoPun's Avatar
LoPun LoPun is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: >w>
Posts: 789
Default "Videogames can make you do bad stuff"

Don't you just hate that?
Kids, all over the world, now can use weapons and basically shoot some heads. And they're parents are like, "WE BLAME THE GAME PRODUCERZ"
Well..I blame the parents. Why the hell do you guys even spend your own money purchasing these rated M/T games for your own kids? Do you parents like, don't know any other way to shut your kids up? Does it really have to be this way? If you know your kid is irresponcible and you know that he might be totally influenced, then don't waste your money.
I absolutely hate it when the parents blame the producers, that's why we got a god damn rating that no one pays attention to anymore. We've got warnings dammit, the game producers are not trying to start a whole war between children and have them carry guns, they're just doing this for entertainment. Its the parent's fault, not the kids, not the producers.

Am I right?

Plus there are MANY more games that are actually SUITABLE for children. Not this COD stuff, not the Left 4 Dead, there's Kingdom Hearts and Spyro plus Crash Bandicoot. Those aren't terribly influential.
  #2  
Old June 3, 2010, 12:31:56 PM
OMGITSJAD OMGITSJAD is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,652
Default

Seriously, video games don't harm the brain and make you do horrible things like everyone thinks. There's no scientific studies proving it, and I myself play video games that are pretty violent and surf ***** on occasion and you don't see me killing anybody!besides spambots and n00bs

It may help along an insane person who thinks they can do it in real life, but an everyday normal person knows the difference between reality and video games.
  #3  
Old June 3, 2010, 01:18:37 PM
Ningamer's Avatar
Ningamer Ningamer is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South-East England
Posts: 3,539
Default

I'm not allowed to get any Call of Duty games. Halo's fine, though! =P

And yet I know people not older than 8 years old, playing Resident Evil and Call of Duty. I say shame on the parents!

Last edited by Ningamer; June 3, 2010 at 01:19:04 PM.
  #4  
Old June 3, 2010, 01:46:54 PM
blueumbreon's Avatar
blueumbreon blueumbreon is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Up, down, all around
Posts: 482
Default

Most of the kids in MY GRADE play this junk. I'm in 5th grade. Seriously, if your 11 you really shouldn't play it.
  #5  
Old June 3, 2010, 02:27:51 PM
Ayunnuya's Avatar
Ayunnuya Ayunnuya is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terrafirma, USA. Google it.
Posts: 850
Default

Videogames don't MAKE me do these things. Just because I sneek around like a ninja, pretend I'm mowing down zombies with a machine gun, and say random catch phrases doesn't mean video games are the cause.
  #6  
Old June 3, 2010, 02:55:29 PM
LiteTheIronMan's Avatar
LiteTheIronMan LiteTheIronMan is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Final Destination
Posts: 2,908
Default

The only things video games have made me do is save a princess or twelve, blow up Metroids, catch 'em all, stab Ganondorf in the chest, race to the finish, beat up zombies, re-enact the Normandy landing, level up, and copy my enemy's abilities. I seriously doubt I can even do any of this stuff in real life, so how do video games influence me to beat the crap out of people?

I understand it's only fiction. If video games can make people violent, then movies, books, comics, music, and all other forms of media can do it too. Because that's what it is. It's simply a form of entertainment media. I've been playing/buying T games since I was 11, and although I haven't owned any, I've been playing M games a while before that. (Although, now I do own CoD WaWii and RE4 for Wii, and a few other M games) If someone is seriously deluded enough to actually think that video games are real, then that's not insanity, or murderous rage. That's just idiocy. The people who think that people will kill because a video game told them to are even bigger morons.
  #7  
Old June 3, 2010, 06:34:51 PM
LoPun's Avatar
LoPun LoPun is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: >w>
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Seriously, video games don't harm the brain and make you do horrible things like everyone thinks. There's no scientific studies proving it, and I myself play video games that are pretty violent and surf ***** on occasion and you don't see me killing anybody!besides spambots and n00bs

It may help along an insane person who thinks they can do it in real life, but an everyday normal person knows the difference between reality and video games.
True quote.
It really doesn't harm the brain at all, it can be somewhat educational. It actually helps me as an insane person.;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
The only things video games have made me do is save a princess or twelve, blow up Metroids, catch 'em all, stab Ganondorf in the chest, race to the finish, beat up zombies, re-enact the Normandy landing, level up, and copy my enemy's abilities. I seriously doubt I can even do any of this stuff in real life, so how do video games influence me to beat the crap out of people?

I understand it's only fiction. If video games can make people violent, then movies, books, comics, music, and all other forms of media can do it too. Because that's what it is. It's simply a form of entertainment media. I've been playing/buying T games since I was 11, and although I haven't owned any, I've been playing M games a while before that. (Although, now I do own CoD WaWii and RE4 for Wii, and a few other M games) If someone is seriously deluded enough to actually think that video games are real, then that's not insanity, or murderous rage. That's just idiocy. The people who think that people will kill because a video game told them to are even bigger morons.
DING DING DING!
RIGHT! I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm tired of people thinking that way, because the people that are influenced are pretty dumb not insane. They're just stupid for doing this. And basically most of the entertainment is fiction and can be influential, but it doesn't mean they're trying to get kids to kill people. That's not their goal. And people who think this narrow way are just as dumb, like you said, probably even stupider.

Last edited by LoPun; June 3, 2010 at 06:36:01 PM.
  #8  
Old June 4, 2010, 02:05:14 AM
Magmaster12's Avatar
Magmaster12 Magmaster12 is offline
Rayquaza
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: You would know
Posts: 4,960
Default

“Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto
  #9  
Old June 4, 2010, 02:31:57 AM
Dragiiin123's Avatar
Dragiiin123 Dragiiin123 is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 355
Default

This is a ****ed up debacle we've got on our hands. So, here's THE TRUTH.
WHEN THE PARENTS FINALLY RELISE THAT IT'S THEMWHO ARE LETTING THERE KID PLAY THE GAME, I ****ING SWEAR, PIGS WILL FLY.
How bout this, what if you pay more attension to your kid? You know, moderate what he's buying and ****. BECAUSE IT'S ALL THE GAMES FAULT AHHHHHHH.
****
  #10  
Old June 4, 2010, 04:57:04 AM
LoPun's Avatar
LoPun LoPun is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: >w>
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
“Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto
XDD Oh Mag.:3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragiiin123 View Post
This is a ****ed up debacle we've got on our hands. So, here's THE TRUTH.
WHEN THE PARENTS FINALLY RELISE THAT IT'S THEMWHO ARE LETTING THERE KID PLAY THE GAME, I ****ING SWEAR, PIGS WILL FLY.
How bout this, what if you pay more attension to your kid? You know, moderate what he's buying and ****. BECAUSE IT'S ALL THE GAMES FAULT AHHHHHHH.
****
*chuckles* So true. Parents are so irresponsible and lazy these days they have no clue what they're doing. And they'll never admit their faults.;P
  #11  
Old June 4, 2010, 02:40:27 PM
LiteTheIronMan's Avatar
LiteTheIronMan LiteTheIronMan is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Final Destination
Posts: 2,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
“Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto
My two most favorites!

I'm going to put THAT into my quotes as well.
  #12  
Old June 4, 2010, 04:38:08 PM
FreezeWarp's Avatar
FreezeWarp FreezeWarp is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,192
Default

In all truth there is more truth to this than you may think. There is really no doubt that video games /can/ result in more violent tendencies. Obviously, this depends on how mature the person is - seriously, a 9 year-old should NOT be playing Call of Duty. All the same, most well-educated people shouldn't see any cognitive changes.
  #13  
Old June 5, 2010, 07:08:45 AM
LoPun's Avatar
LoPun LoPun is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: >w>
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
In all truth there is more truth to this than you may think. There is really no doubt that video games /can/ result in more violent tendencies. Obviously, this depends on how mature the person is - seriously, a 9 year-old should NOT be playing Call of Duty. All the same, most well-educated people shouldn't see any cognitive changes.
Yeah. If the kid is totally aggressive and easily influenced yeah then it would be bad.
I really REALLY hate it when kids play COD or other games and they're on Xbox Live. I remember the time when I still had my Xbox 360 and I was playing the 4th one, this kid kept cussing and he's like 8 years old I was like, "Kid. Gtfo." :U
Well anyway, kids shouldn't play these games. That's why we gawt pokemanz.XD
  #14  
Old June 5, 2010, 07:11:54 AM
Ningamer's Avatar
Ningamer Ningamer is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South-East England
Posts: 3,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPun View Post
That's why we gawt pokemanz.XD
Surely, if anything, Pokemon is just as violent? It encourages you to train your dog/cat/mouse/lamp/watermelon/etc. for fighting. And that's bad stuff, amirite?

Last edited by Ningamer; June 5, 2010 at 09:34:14 AM.
  #15  
Old June 5, 2010, 09:33:42 AM
Dragiiin123's Avatar
Dragiiin123 Dragiiin123 is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Surely, if anything, Pokemon is just as violent? It encourages you to train your dog/cat/mouse/lamp/watermelon/etc. for fighting. And that's bat stuff, amirite?
I hate bat stuff!
  #16  
Old June 5, 2010, 10:06:45 AM
LoPun's Avatar
LoPun LoPun is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: >w>
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Surely, if anything, Pokemon is just as violent? It encourages you to train your dog/cat/mouse/lamp/watermelon/etc. for fighting. And that's bad stuff, amirite?
...>w>

Well...XDD

Dammit.
Your point is totally given.XD But its not like your busting heads and kicking the ***** out of zombies.
  #17  
Old June 5, 2010, 10:47:48 AM
Alakazamaster's Avatar
Alakazamaster Alakazamaster is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: My own Private Idaho
Posts: 2,400
Default

VIDEO GAMES SCREW KIDS UP!!!!111!!!

Actually, tests have been done that show shooter games increase hand-eye-coordination, so surgeons that grew up playing video games are actually able to go through surgeries faster, and more accurately!

Although, to claim that video games only have positive effects would be silly. My younger cousin is about... 7? And he plays shooter games all the time. I really wish that his parents would choose more age appropriate games, because when I was 7 I was racing at Moo Moo Farm and kicking the CPUs' butts at Clefairy Says. My cousin is kinda violent-ish and hyperactive, and I am sure that the games are contributing somewhat, so my belief is that such games should not be played until a certain age is reached.
  #18  
Old June 5, 2010, 07:41:59 PM
Jason_Henge's Avatar
Jason_Henge Jason_Henge is offline
Celebi
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,269
Default

It's not the videogame, most of the time. It's the person. Actually, I think it's the generation. Kids today are getting almost anything they want. I remember my when my 2nd cousin turned 7. She got a brand new cell phone. And when her little brother turned 6, he got a brand new PSP. It wasn't like that when I was growing up. I got my first cell phone (the cheapest one) when I was 16, when I was allowed to stay out until 10pm. I don't know what happened.

And the video games are getting worse. Playstation and Xbox are making things too detailed. It's like they're letting the kid practice up before they hijack a car and kill people. Nintendo isn't like that. It tends to stay cartoonish and comical.
  #19  
Old June 5, 2010, 08:35:07 PM
SK's Avatar
SK SK is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Munna Land
Posts: 3,482
Default

Haha yeah, like Kaz said, hand-eye-coordination is most definitely improved with video games. I'm sure that Guitar Hero also helps that out a bit. ;D

And Jason, you are very correct, the world has changed a lot. There are 7-10 year olds who got cell phones before me, and I finally got mine when I was 14 1/2. I wouldn't have had it right now f I didn't play basketball at school, which was why I needed it. Kids these days have no reason for cell phones and they don't need violent video games either. It's like younger kids are being treated like they are more mature when in reality they are less then they should be.
  #20  
Old June 5, 2010, 08:50:47 PM
Jason_Henge's Avatar
Jason_Henge Jason_Henge is offline
Celebi
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,269
Default

Kids today don't use cell phones. They play on mobile devices. Yeah, they're great and all... but kids think they're toys. It's disgusting.
  #21  
Old June 5, 2010, 11:37:53 PM
Buizel456's Avatar
Buizel456 Buizel456 is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Buizel Dimension
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
“Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto
Heyy, I remember that from the Guiness World Records 2010 Gamers Edition book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueumbreon View Post
Most of the kids in MY GRADE play this junk. I'm in 5th grade. Seriously, if your 11 you really shouldn't play it.
Same with my brother. Most of the kids in his class play Deadspace, Left 4 Dead, Grand Theft Auto, Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc. Apparently, anything that's not rated M is for babies.
Pokemon = Gay to them
Kingdom Hearts = "OHH! THAT IS SO AWESOME! YOU PLAY THAT STUPID MICKEY MOUSE GAME! YOU ARE SO COOL!...NOT"

-_-


Anyways, they have made me do bad stuff when I was younger, so bad you don't want to hear it
  #22  
Old June 6, 2010, 01:06:39 AM
Armed Floatzel's Avatar
Armed Floatzel Armed Floatzel is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greener Pastures
Posts: 517
Default

My parents let me play M rated games when I was little. They had no problems; I had no problems.

Personally, I think that it's the way kids choose to act. I think it's the usual: "Oh, that's so cool! I want to do that!" attitude.

If I had that attitude, I wouldn't be able to play half of the games I own.

Game makers - We make the games, we put warnings on them to discourage kids from getting any bad ideas.

Parents - We'll let the kids play the games as long as they are mature enough to handle the content.

Kids - If we want to continue playing video games, we'd better not cross the line if we decide to take some of the ideas to reality.

Personally, I think a kid should only be banned from a game if he/she can't handle it in terms of maturity. A parent should only be to blame if he/she encourages the child to misbehave. I think a game company should be to blame only if they included things in their games that wasn't released to the public.

Who are the ones making the final decision to carry guns and shoot them as if they're in that video game? Not the parents, not the companies. It's whoever carries the guns -- usually the kids.

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; June 6, 2010 at 01:08:21 AM.
  #23  
Old June 6, 2010, 06:01:09 AM
LoPun's Avatar
LoPun LoPun is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: >w>
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
VIDEO GAMES SCREW KIDS UP!!!!111!!!

Actually, tests have been done that show shooter games increase hand-eye-coordination, so surgeons that grew up playing video games are actually able to go through surgeries faster, and more accurately!

Although, to claim that video games only have positive effects would be silly. My younger cousin is about... 7? And he plays shooter games all the time. I really wish that his parents would choose more age appropriate games, because when I was 7 I was racing at Moo Moo Farm and kicking the CPUs' butts at Clefairy Says. My cousin is kinda violent-ish and hyperactive, and I am sure that the games are contributing somewhat, so my belief is that such games should not be played until a certain age is reached.
Now that supports the fact that videogames can be educational.
It can be positive and it can be negative too. My cousin plays COD but he's not really that violent. He's just hyperactive that's all.
  #24  
Old June 6, 2010, 06:26:50 AM
Dragiiin123's Avatar
Dragiiin123 Dragiiin123 is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPun View Post
Now that supports the fact that videogames can be educational.
It can be positive and it can be negative too. My cousin plays COD but he's not really that violent. He's just hyperactive that's all.
I will meet your cousin and when I do
  #25  
Old June 6, 2010, 11:00:18 AM
Turtwig's Avatar
Turtwig Turtwig is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 378
Default

Well, seeing what had happened in my elementary school (long ago), People would be influenced by Dragon ball z resulting in kids beating up each other. So I guess some video games can effect people in different ways.
  #26  
Old June 6, 2010, 01:41:43 PM
RK-9 RK-9 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: tacoville
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPun View Post
Now that supports the fact that videogames can be educational.
It can be positive and it can be negative too. My cousin plays COD but he's not really that violent. He's just hyperactive that's all.
Oh my god, that sounds like me. I once played COD (and my older brother watched me... >.>) when I was 8 and I'm REALLY hyperactive. And no, video games can't make you bad stuff. Like lite said, I can't jump on goombas, train my dog/cat/whatever, inhale people and use their abilities, fight with dinosaurs and talk to an ancient tribe. *talks to someone* Huh? I can? Lies.

Last edited by RK-9; June 7, 2010 at 12:14:26 PM. Reason: New ideas.
  #27  
Old June 9, 2010, 06:49:21 PM
Sub-zero's Avatar
Sub-zero Sub-zero is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lin Kuei Temple, Arctika
Posts: 754
Default

It's all in the mind. They must already have some sort of feeling in order to finish it off, meaning video games sometimes "trigger" an inner problem some people already had. There's really no blaming anyone.
  #28  
Old June 10, 2010, 07:16:37 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,327
Default

It's interesting that someone brought up this topic because this is exactly what our school's debate was about. Needless to say, the side against banning violent video games won because we were able to convince the judges with several strong points that we made.

Here's my speech which was centered around scientific evidence to prove my team's point. It made me get the "Best debater of 2009-2010" award in my school:

Spoiler Alert:    
According to several studies made by groups such as The Harvard Medical School Center for Mental Health and The British Medical Journal, violent behaviour has not and cannot conclusively be linked to violent video games. Researchers concluded that there’s no causal relationship between aggressive behaviour and violent video games. Not only that, but no studies had found such games as being a primary factor in turning a normal person into a ‘killer’. In fact, most studies only found a correlation between the two, which could simply mean that habitually aggressive people like aggressive entertainment.

It has also been shown that lab research done on gamers does not accurately reflect real-life situations; subjects are asked to experience content that they would not normally see, and may not understand. In addition to that, the laboratory environment itself is very different from the environments where games would normally be played. This has caused many people to criticize such researches and their reliability.

In return to the opposing team, research has shown that even if those games created violent thoughts to the player, there’s no reason for these thoughts to display themselves in actions. Only the small number of people who already are aggressive in their nature might be affected by such thoughts. To back that up, only 19% of parents say that such games have visible negative influences on their children, of the total 54% who play violent video games. This has been stated in a research by Pew Research Center in the USA. Also, if the influences of criminals were playing aggressive video games or watching intense TV shows, doesn’t that mean all people are or can be criminals?

Lastly, let’s not forget the positive aspects of playing violent video games; a research undertaken by the Office of Naval Research in the USA is showing that violent videogame training is having “surprising” results in helping military personnel. It is helping them adapt to the challenges of fighting terrorists and teaching them new tactics to use in battle.

If research proves that no firm connection between violent games and aggressive behaviour has been established yet, and that violent games still don’t have a major negative impact on the player’s actions, this means there is no evidence.


In spite of my speech, which was made a little bit more extreme to prove the point being made, it is inevitable that video games can cause negative effects, but not on all people; to be more specific, games which are made for teenagers cannot possibly be played by younger kids because the content is not suitable for them. Every game has a rating to clearly mark the audience it is directed at, and when these guidelines are ignored by today's generation, then serious consequences might take place. This carelessness towards the ratings of the games is to be blamed on the parents and the children themselves. Amidst so many other things to do, parents are least concerned to monitor the games which their children purchase. This has caused a lot of young kids to play games, such as Call of Duty, without paying attention to their rating. What exacerbates the problem is that the general preferences of games among young children today has shifted towards violent, inappropriate, more mature games. Of course, kids playing such games will be affected by their content because they're not mature enough to handle them.

I hope I made my point clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
“Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto
One of my favourite quotes of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
In all truth there is more truth to this than you may think. There is really no doubt that video games /can/ result in more violent tendencies. Obviously, this depends on how mature the person is - seriously, a 9 year-old should NOT be playing Call of Duty. All the same, most well-educated people shouldn't see any cognitive changes.
I agree with you 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragiiin123 View Post
I ****ing hate those sunnava ***** kids who have a cell phone at ****ing 9.
Spoiled kids ****ing PISS ME OFF.
How about you calm down and stop throwing cusses almost in every thread you post in?
  #29  
Old June 10, 2010, 10:01:58 AM
Jason_Henge's Avatar
Jason_Henge Jason_Henge is offline
Celebi
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
How about you calm down and stop throwing cusses almost in every thread you post in?
THANK YOU!!!!

But, you know, this topic is true. I just played Animal Crossing, and there's nothing I want to do now but go to the local store and talk to a raccoon. =3
  #30  
Old June 11, 2010, 08:52:48 AM
Ayunnuya's Avatar
Ayunnuya Ayunnuya is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terrafirma, USA. Google it.
Posts: 850
Default

From more reading, parents just need to monitor and control what their kids play. The ratings are there for a reason!
  #31  
Old June 15, 2010, 07:23:22 AM
omnizard's Avatar
omnizard omnizard is offline
Mudkip
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Henge View Post
It's not the videogame, most of the time. It's the person. Actually, I think it's the generation. Kids today are getting almost anything they want. I remember my when my 2nd cousin turned 7. She got a brand new cell phone. And when her little brother turned 6, he got a brand new PSP. It wasn't like that when I was growing up. I got my first cell phone (the cheapest one) when I was 16, when I was allowed to stay out until 10pm. I don't know what happened.

And the video games are getting worse. Playstation and Xbox are making things too detailed. It's like they're letting the kid practice up before they hijack a car and kill people. Nintendo isn't like that. It tends to stay cartoonish and comical.
well, you point there all what you say happend to me too, i got my cell phone a lot of earlyer that my older sibling. but video games can infuleance(great spelling) children. A boy in our class plays a lot of violant games and is also violant to other children in the class, he "loves" to hit/hurt others in our class and well, he is not the most popular child in our class.
  #32  
Old July 20, 2010, 01:05:25 PM
The Tropius of Tropiuses The Tropius of Tropiuses is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Litwack's Arcade
Posts: 660
Default

Just because in Sonic you jump on a computer to get invincibilty, dosen't mean i'm gonna jump on my laptop thinking i'm going to be invincible! How can this stuff influnce killing and stuff? I think it's just an ecxuse so parents don't have to go to court if there kid does something REAL bad.

EDIT: I mean "thier kid does something real bad."

Last edited by The Tropius of Tropiuses; July 20, 2010 at 01:07:56 PM.
  #33  
Old July 20, 2010, 01:45:57 PM
isbragg's Avatar
isbragg isbragg is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tropius of Tropius View Post
Just because in Sonic you jump on a computer to get invincibilty, dosen't mean i'm gonna jump on my laptop thinking i'm going to be invincible! How can this stuff influnce killing and stuff? I think it's just an ecxuse so parents don't have to go to court if there kid does something REAL bad.

EDIT: I mean "thier kid does something real bad."
I was influenced by Sonic games a bit when I was younger, but never that influenced. I'm now 18 and no longer influenced by any media. I can still get a little hyper when playing, though. My view on this debate is that there should be stronger enforcement on the sale of M rated games.
  #34  
Old July 20, 2010, 02:04:10 PM
Idno58's Avatar
Idno58 Idno58 is offline
Landorus
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Human tongue can't pronounce it.
Posts: 1,780
Default

"If video games affected kids, adults today would be running around dark rooms eating steroids and saying 'waka waka waka'". - I forget but He was probably pretty important.
  #35  
Old July 20, 2010, 05:57:23 PM
JC JC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,021
Default

video games, if you get in to them too much, yeah bad things will happen, but if you are looking but a chemical answer, a game of chess gives you the same inbalance as video games, you probably aren't going to knock people down because you played a game of chess
  #36  
Old July 24, 2010, 09:09:24 AM
Winter Winter is offline
Charizard
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 106
Default

Video games don't make an already bad child do anything and the kid was messed up from the beginning though heaven forbid the parents ever admit that anything is wrong with their little angel.
  #37  
Old July 24, 2010, 12:47:20 PM
mariothecellist's Avatar
mariothecellist mariothecellist is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In your ____, ____ing your ____.
Posts: 366
Default

Parents should determine whether or not their kid is mature enough to handle videogames. if you kid is a crazy 9 year old who mimics everything, maybe videogames aren't the best choice. However, if your parents have raised you up normally, videogames should be okay.

My parents have raised me as best they can, which is pretty well. I've played SSBB the day I got it (after two release date changes and waiting a week when I was grounded) for fourteen hours. Yes, it was a long time, but my dad lectured me on how I was going to go kill someone if I played it any longer. He raised me to know that killing is bad, so I wonder where that logic came from. I'm a normal (normal for me), non-killing cellist!

That 9yr old who played the realistic shoot 'em up game for 14 hrs is way more likely to kill someone.
  #38  
Old July 24, 2010, 12:53:20 PM
Jaredvcxz Jaredvcxz is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,233
Default

Videogames don't make kids violent AND IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE I'LL TEAR OUT YOUR SPLEEN.


Now to be serious: I honestly don't know how people can think these games are able to influence people.
In GTA IV, if your car exploades after falling off a 300 story building with you in it, what happens? Six hours precisely at the hospital and a fairly small bill. I don't know about some of these people, but that's well beyond the reaches of reality to me, despite how realistic this game makes it out to be.


And I don't see how CoD could be bad. Especially the WWII games. They teach kids how tough wars are, give them the encouragement to fight for their countries, and remind us of the horrors of humanity's past.

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; July 24, 2010 at 12:54:33 PM.
  #39  
Old July 25, 2010, 07:11:43 PM
SpaceManPlusPlus's Avatar
SpaceManPlusPlus SpaceManPlusPlus is offline
Zoroark
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 288
Default

There are many different parenting styles, and they can correspond to different government types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenting_styles .
If every teens heard that fact, they will demonize their parents by comparing the parenting styles to the dictatorship in China.

Some teens feel unfair when his mom doesn't allow him to play CoD.

My mom refused to buy CoD, so I downloaded a free FPS game called OpenArena, it has blood and gore (called gibs), but I can turn them off.

I also played GTA and even Jacka-- games, and found them funny, but I'm rational, I will never perform the stunts.

I'm not a brave person, because I never lived with my biological father, once, I went to the playland for the field trip and did nothing, money wasted, if I'm not brave, how am I going to steal cars, frag people and perform dangerous stunts?

First person shooting games can sharpen your motor skills, and even improve your vision (as in detecting contrast).

I forgot the source (maybe in Slashdot), the benefits of FPS games can be extracted by replacing soldiers with princesses with magic wands.

Installing flight or space combat games in computers of flight schools and military schools also helps.

Readt this, http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...u-destined-sin
it says that when you did too many good things, you may be tempted to do something bad as a compensation, (the reverse can happen)
and video games can become the releases when you want to do something bad. (see also: http://mindprod.com/ethics/apemind.html, The Ways Out: Displacement section)

See also: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../03/29/2058239

Last edited by SpaceManPlusPlus; July 25, 2010 at 07:33:06 PM.
  #40  
Old July 29, 2010, 04:38:42 AM
Cam Chomp's Avatar
Cam Chomp Cam Chomp is offline
Charizard
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 148
Default

the violent games can
  #41  
Old August 9, 2010, 11:47:19 AM
SpaceManPlusPlus's Avatar
SpaceManPlusPlus SpaceManPlusPlus is offline
Zoroark
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 288
Default

Violent games train criminals. I've heard Microsoft Flight Simulator trained 911 terrorists, and the game is rated E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual...with_terrorism
Later, Microsoft removed the World Trade Center on the map.
However, they train you only if you want to get trained. For some people, they are unconsiciously trained into committing crimes. Video games are like tools, they can be used for evil.
Imagine Grand Theft Auto on holodeck.
  #42  
Old August 9, 2010, 12:26:38 PM
piexing's Avatar
piexing piexing is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 653
Default

So I can learn how to fly a plane by playing flight simulators? :O
  #43  
Old August 9, 2010, 12:47:22 PM
LiteTheIronMan's Avatar
LiteTheIronMan LiteTheIronMan is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Final Destination
Posts: 2,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMan++ View Post
There are many different parenting styles, and they can correspond to different government types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenting_styles .
If every teens heard that fact, they will demonize their parents by comparing the parenting styles to the dictatorship in China.

Some teens feel unfair when his mom doesn't allow him to play CoD.

Hell, I'd be pissed if I was grounded from playing video games but I wouldn't have an adverse outward effect by going on a murderous rampage and killing everyone I see.

My mom refused to buy CoD, so I downloaded a free FPS game called OpenArena, it has blood and gore (called gibs), but I can turn them off.

...You know, you CAN minimalize the amount of gore in Call of Duty...

I also played GTA and even Jacka-- games, and found them funny, but I'm rational, I will never perform the stunts.

I'm not a brave person, because I never lived with my biological father, once, I went to the playland for the field trip and did nothing, money wasted, if I'm not brave, how am I going to steal cars, frag people and perform dangerous stunts?

...uhm... what were you even saying? That's not bravery, that's mental insanity.

First person shooting games can sharpen your motor skills, and even improve your vision (as in detecting contrast).

I forgot the source (maybe in Slashdot), the benefits of FPS games can be extracted by replacing soldiers with princesses with magic wands.

I don't even think we're still talking about the same subject.

Installing flight or space combat games in computers of flight schools and military schools also helps.

So now we've stopped talking about how video games are bad for children and we've begun to discuss simulators the military uses to train their soldiers. (Air Force uses what is essentially a virtual cockpit to train their troops in aerial combat)

Readt this, http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...u-destined-sin
it says that when you did too many good things, you may be tempted to do something bad as a compensation, (the reverse can happen)
and video games can become the releases when you want to do something bad. (see also: http://mindprod.com/ethics/apemind.html, The Ways Out: Displacement section)

...uhm... Now, I play a lot of video games where the good guy is the pure-heart-of-gold character with a penchant for hating evil and stuff like that. Doing all these good deeds never made me want to do bad stuff. Hell, in FPS games when I am shooting people I never actually go into a rampage or anything. Even in games like GTA where killing random people is encouraged I hardly ever actually do so; as a matter of fact yesterday I spent my time racing trains in the subway while driving in a Corvette.

See also: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../03/29/2058239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMan++ View Post
Violent games train criminals. I've heard Microsoft Flight Simulator trained 911 terrorists, and the game is rated E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual...with_terrorism
Later, Microsoft removed the World Trade Center on the map.
However, they train you only if you want to get trained. For some people, they are unconsiciously trained into committing crimes. Video games are like tools, they can be used for evil.
Imagine Grand Theft Auto on holodeck.

Using a QWERTY keyboard to fly a plane... and using an actual cockpit to pilot something... are two VERY different things.

Like I've said before, the people who are somehow influenced to do "bad" things (I put bad in quotes since I didn't have much of a better term) aren't being trained by the video games, nor influenced by them, or whatnot; they're just stupid. The people who blame violence in kids on video games are also stupid, because video games are just one of many media outlets that can "have an influence" on the viewer. Movies, television, books, all of those can expose the viewer to violent or otherwise explicit material. So what? You're going to have a protest against fiction? Fiction IS NOT REAL. THE READER KNOWS THAT FICTION ISN'T REAL. Using that interpretation we can determine that since the "violence" isn't actually occuring the viewer is not being harmed, nor does the viewer want to do anything because of this. They're only presented with at best a visual interpretation of what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piexing View Post
So I can learn how to fly a plane by playing flight simulators? :O

I lol'd

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; August 9, 2010 at 12:48:57 PM.
  #44  
Old August 9, 2010, 12:58:32 PM
piexing's Avatar
piexing piexing is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 653
Default

If any thing, playing violent video games keeps children from violence. It allows them to manage their anger without actually doing any of the violent things they may do otherwise.
See this: http://www.whattheyplay.com/features...-games/?page=1
  #45  
Old August 9, 2010, 02:13:41 PM
Jaredvcxz Jaredvcxz is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,233
Default

So wait Spaceman first you praise videogames, then you say that they're bad?

You're pretty good at understanding both sides of the argument.
  #46  
Old August 9, 2010, 03:09:19 PM
A'bom's Avatar
A'bom A'bom is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 539
Default

Perhaps it's not the videogames that make people violent. Maybe violent people choose violent video games.
I've never liked "shoot-'em-up" games, and I don't like the idea of hurting others. That being said, I like sparing for fun. Pokemon and SSBB are two games that could be considered violent, but neither of the games put an emphasis on gory graphics. In Brawl, at the end of a fight, the characters are seen clapping, indicating more of a friendly competition than a malicious war. Even so, I feel bad beating up Jigglypuff or Princess Peach. The only character I can beat up without any remorse is Falco, and I can't figure out why--but I digress.

Then again, I've seen firsthand how violence and excessive gore can affect a child. It had more to do with youtube than video games, but I think the same rules apply. My younger brother went through a blood-drawing stage about half a year ago, and we found out he was watching youtube videos with stick figures' heads getting blown off and blood spattered everywhere.

Ultimately, though, it depends on the individual playing the games.
  #47  
Old August 9, 2010, 03:42:56 PM
LiteTheIronMan's Avatar
LiteTheIronMan LiteTheIronMan is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Final Destination
Posts: 2,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'bom View Post
Perhaps it's not the videogames that make people violent. Maybe violent people choose violent video games.

I play a lot of FPS games, and I don't consider myself violent. Nor am I outwardly or physically violent in real life.


I've never liked "shoot-'em-up" games, and I don't like the idea of hurting others.

Again, I don't like hurting people either, but I think FPSes are very fun if not incredibly overrated.

That being said, I like sparing for fun. Pokemon and SSBB are two games that could be considered violent, but neither of the games put an emphasis on gory graphics.

The graphics don't mean much, but the intent does. Things like Call of Duty are meant to give the player an indepth and exact visual representation of what's going on around them- After all, all Call of Duty games (with the Modern Warfare titles being the only exceptions) take place in actual wars fought in actual places.

In Brawl, at the end of a fight, the characters are seen clapping, indicating more of a friendly competition than a malicious war.

You can tell not all of them are genuinely happy or friendly. Look at Bowser in his loss pose. He's clapping very slowly but he doesn't appear very amused.

Even so, I feel bad beating up Jigglypuff or Princess Peach. The only character I can beat up without any remorse is Falco, and I can't figure out why--but I digress.

Then again, I've seen firsthand how violence and excessive gore can affect a child. It had more to do with youtube than video games, but I think the same rules apply. My younger brother went through a blood-drawing stage about half a year ago, and we found out he was watching youtube videos with stick figures' heads getting blown off and blood spattered everywhere.

What you just said here is not only contradictory to the topic at hand and your statements, but is also what's proving my point, or rather is the point that I'M trying to prove. It's not just video games that are an influential form of media; there's video, audio, and literary media out there as well, and it's not like you see people targeting those. There's no reason for video games specifically to cause people to be violent, it's what they choose to do based on what they see. It's not a subconcious decision either. Therefore, the same rules do NOT apply. Your younger brother saw videos he thought were cool and decide to mimic them. It wasn't like voices in his head were like YOU MUST DRAW BLOODY THINGS AND END UP KILLING MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE.

Ultimately, though, it depends on the individual playing the games.

Again, you just contradicted yourself, first saying that it's what they're exposed to and now you're saying it's what they take from it. I'd support this statement normally but under the circumstances based on what you just said I don't see the point in doing so.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; August 9, 2010 at 03:49:14 PM.
  #48  
Old August 9, 2010, 06:13:52 PM
A'bom's Avatar
A'bom A'bom is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 539
Default

Yeah lite, I contradict myself a lot--especially when I'm trying to give the condensed version of what I'm thinking. I'd rather not write a ten-page paper explaining my view (or views, as the case may be).
  #49  
Old May 15, 2012, 04:18:16 AM
Shadow-lucario's Avatar
Shadow-lucario Shadow-lucario is offline
Mudkip
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the Shadows
Posts: 36
Default

honestly in my opinion, the parents are just as much to blame as was stated before because in the end they are the ones buying 18 rated games for the children, but saying that i have been playing 18 rated games since i was 10 years old.

this just puts the thought out in the open about kids having something wrong in their heads to even try and recreate something they saw in a video game on someone else.

a good example is this case here, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3934277.stm

so really it is the fault of the person who bought the game and the person playing the game, i really dont think that the developers can be blamed.

"when the weapon is made, and the person who buys the weapon kills someone with it, you cant blame the weapon or the person who made it, it is the person who wields the weapon that is too blame"
  #50  
Old November 14, 2013, 08:37:03 PM
Sub-zero's Avatar
Sub-zero Sub-zero is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lin Kuei Temple, Arctika
Posts: 754
Default

I kind of think so. I mean, c'mon! Who else doesn't feel kinda funky after leaving the movie theater or playing GTA or something? I'm pretty strong mentally and I can feel the effects from switching from fantasy to reality. I can do it, but I notice the difference.

I think it could change how you perceive and take your problems in life if you aren't prepared mentally. If you play video games or watch movies, you've got to ensure you understand the difference between fantasy and reality.
  #51  
Old November 14, 2013, 08:44:30 PM
Dragonite's Avatar
Dragonite Dragonite is offline
Keldeo
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Your refrigerator.
Posts: 1,095
Default

In my school, at least, there's a pretty strong correlation between the people who play shooting games daily and the people who violently overreact to everything and anything.

With that aside, this is not a debate I like to take part in because there are a few hundred other things that I don't know about may or may not be a factor. It's like trying to argue that sleeping with your head next to an electrical device causes health problems in the age of digital everything.

Edit: This isn't really relevant, but if a game like GTA has been rated M for as long as I can remember . . .

WHY WAS EVERYONE IN MY 5TH GRADE CLASS PLAYING IT?

Last edited by Dragonite; November 14, 2013 at 08:45:44 PM.
  #52  
Old November 15, 2013, 11:06:25 AM
kakashidragon's Avatar
kakashidragon kakashidragon is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where i belong
Posts: 2,055
Default

My 12 year and 11 year old brothers play Call of Duty. (I do as well) but ya 8 year olds shouldnt play them. (And how does a 8 year old get hold of ps3 and xbox hacks?)
  #53  
Old November 15, 2013, 11:18:54 AM
Tarellethiel's Avatar
Tarellethiel Tarellethiel is offline
Floatzel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In my own little world
Posts: 194
Default

Kids want to be "cool", especially in the more awkward (in my opinion at least) preteen stage. For them, "cool" means "adult-like". This in turn means that anything kids aren't supposed to have/do becomes amazingly interesting and "cool". This is mostly why teens drinking alcohol is a thing. This is mostly why teens start smoking. This is also why teens, preteens, and even younger children are attracted to anything that has a rating suggesting they shouldn't play it. At first it may be the Teen-rated games like SSBB that are violent but not especially so, but in no time at all the only "cool" games are those that read M. My new school actually has a decent amount of pokémon players and the like, but at my old school the only "cool" games were CoD and GTA. The nerdier groups played Halo and Minecraft. Anything else was often called "gay", which irritated me to no end.

So I want to have cute, cartoonish creatures fight in mock battles against each other that *gasp* don't have any gore? Obviously there must be something wrong with this fourteen-year-old.

Interestingly, those CoD players in my school (and there were a lot) were often poor students, and it wasn't uncommon for some of them to flip off a teacher. Remember, this was sixth to eighth grade. The nerdier groups had some violent tendencies, but they were never that extreme. Me? I got my first game with blood at all (Darksiders) and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I tend to turn off gibs or at least keep them on a low setting if I can.
  #54  
Old November 15, 2013, 11:37:06 AM
Wolfbane5001's Avatar
Wolfbane5001 Wolfbane5001 is offline
Linoone
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
My 12 year and 11 year old brothers play Call of Duty. (I do as well) but ya 8 year olds shouldnt play them. (And how does a 8 year old get hold of ps3 and xbox hacks?)
Who knows? Internet? That's why I like Tf2 though, no hacks and actually GOOD gameplay. (Also less small children or, as I call them "ear-bleeders")

Last edited by Wolfbane5001; November 15, 2013 at 11:40:47 AM.
  #55  
Old November 20, 2013, 08:20:50 PM
Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~'s Avatar
Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~ Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~ is offline
Mudkip
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38
Default

Me, my little brother and sister have all played M rated games since we were about 3years old. And we wouldn't want to hurt someone, since we know all the awful consequences. My parents taught us to not kill or hurt innocent people. The parents are responsible for telling the children about why you shouldn't do the stuff in violent video games in real life, since they contain dire consequences.
 
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Victory Road ©2006 - 2020, Scott Cat333Pokémon Cheney
Theme by A'bom and Cat333Pokémon