Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

 
 
  #1  
Old December 14, 2011, 06:31:11 PM
Gatorade's Avatar
Gatorade Gatorade is offline
Servine
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever you like.
Posts: 67
Default Marijuana Numbers up to highest ever been in history

This is horribly scary. 1 out of 15 teens are taking marijuana on a daily basis. 1 o/ of ten smoke pot. Scary numbers, eh?

Let the debate begin: Is it right for medical uses? Or is it just plain wrong in the first place.

I say it is okay for medical uses but not for anywhere else.
  #2  
Old December 14, 2011, 06:44:57 PM
Platinummaster1's Avatar
Platinummaster1 Platinummaster1 is offline
Linoone
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Forge Of Creation
Posts: 88
Default

I think that people should be allowed to use it for medicinal uses because it has been proven to slow down the pain receptors in the brain.
  #3  
Old December 14, 2011, 06:46:40 PM
teamplasma's Avatar
teamplasma teamplasma is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,762
Default

It is wrong; let me tell you a story about my sister, Julia.

Julia was an A+ studnet, she made honor roll and was quite and shy. She was in the band, played flute and was really good at it. She was even in competions (which she won with her mad flute sills). Anyways, She was nice, always helping the family and trying to learn new things, like other instruments. She was active in the community theater, and was a pitcher in softball. One Saturday night evening a bot named Adam (a grade lower than her) had asked her to come over. Julia was right on it, she sneaked out and say him, 7 times. Then went to go see ADAMS BROTHER 16 times, all of the times she went the did not waste time (if you know what I mean). Later in the year after she was severely punished for her unacceptable ways, David (Julia and I's brother) went snooping in her room and found weed. She is now an addict and has my former step mom (Maggie) addicted. She smokes a cigarette everywhere and nightly lights a joint. She in now out of band, out of the plays, out of golf and softball, out of her mind, and out of honor roll. She is getting straight D's. I keep in touch with them over Facebook. Maggie is trying to recover but isn't punishing Julia. Adam and his cousin sneak over to Julia's new house every weekend for the usually late night up. Julia is only 16 and will be turning 17 in January.

I will never touch drugs and I think that Julia has showed me what it really does. This is a real story, no made up names or anything, I will tell you all, but never touch drugs.
  #4  
Old December 14, 2011, 08:33:35 PM
Squirtle102's Avatar
Squirtle102 Squirtle102 is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Black Mesa
Posts: 2,326
Default

Actually there is a similar thread here: http://victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=4314

I believe it covers your topic and more.

Last edited by Squirtle102; December 14, 2011 at 08:35:11 PM.
  #5  
Old December 16, 2011, 05:51:25 PM
Shiny Shiny is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,529
Default

I'm honestly really pro legalizing it.
Marijuana isn't more dangerous of a drug than tobacoo or alcohol, if it is even that dangerous. Plus states like California could use potential money that could be made from taxing and regulating it.

Plus you got it's medicinal uses as painkiller, which I highly doubt is worse than the morphine that's used in hospitals.
  #6  
Old December 17, 2011, 08:32:37 AM
Armed Floatzel's Avatar
Armed Floatzel Armed Floatzel is offline
Volcarona
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greener Pastures
Posts: 517
Default

Even if it were legalized, who in their right mind would smoke marijuana if it screws up your mind? I wouldn't. Plus, so many people who haven't committed a violent crime are jailed for smoking marijuana. This war on drugs is only costing us money, time, resources, and lives, when anyone with a shred of common sense would think twice before smoking something that's bad for your brain anyway.

I agree with teamplasma, it's an addicting and mind-altering drug. My dad is constantly wasting money on just tobacco, money that we could have saved for Christmas this year.
  #7  
Old December 17, 2011, 09:09:56 PM
hinorashi's Avatar
hinorashi hinorashi is offline
Zoroark
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mahogany Town
Posts: 199
Default

If people want to get high, they should say they want to get high and people have no right what to tell them what to do with their body. That's the only argument I've heard that makes sense.

Back door arguments claiming it's super-healthy ( spoiler: it's not ) and can be used for ( random use here ) make it sound like you don't even believe the fact you have a right to do what ever you want with your body isn't a compelling reason.
  #8  
Old December 18, 2011, 01:36:06 PM
Quadcentruo's Avatar
Quadcentruo Quadcentruo is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Unknown area
Posts: 3,734
Default

I don't have a problem with it being used for medicinal purposes, but the excuses some of the "patients" use are just unacceptable.

I don't care about your sore back, you can take some Advil and be on your way. Medicinal Marijuana should be used for people with severe pain and terminal patients.
  #9  
Old December 18, 2011, 09:11:24 PM
JC JC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Floatzel View Post
Even if it were legalized, who in their right mind would smoke marijuana if it screws up your mind? I wouldn't. Plus, so many people who haven't committed a violent crime are jailed for smoking marijuana. This war on drugs is only costing us money, time, resources, and lives, when anyone with a shred of common sense would think twice before smoking something that's bad for your brain anyway.
Hmm, if this is so, then lets get rid of alcohol then, the effects are similar.
Personally I say let them screw their lives, it's not needed and also hemp can make better ropes than the sub-par materials used in today's ropes.

Last edited by JC; December 18, 2011 at 09:13:07 PM.
  #10  
Old January 4, 2012, 06:58:31 PM
Marching12step's Avatar
Marching12step Marching12step is offline
Shaymin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,981
Default

Legalizing marijuana is extremely controversial in today's society, however I believe it would beneficial on the economy, crime rate, and even the addiction level. Let us look at the economic aspect. Taxing marijuana would stimulate the economy. Having the tax would provide money for the government, the new job outlet would decrease unemployment. The crime rate would decrease because a major legal problem is out. Marijuana is also cause a pshycological dependence, not a pshyical dependence, which is better than tobacco and alcohol. If regulated and age-restricted, there is no reason marijuana can not be legalized.
  #11  
Old August 19, 2012, 07:13:05 PM
JeffTheKiller's Avatar
JeffTheKiller JeffTheKiller is offline
Zoroark
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 289
Default

Okay, here is my OPINION. Marijuana Should be just as legal as cigarettes are, if not switch the laws around entirely. Marijuana has never, and this is in government censuses, killed anyone directly or indirectly, where as cigarettes have killed people directly and indirectly. They only reason it was ever banned was because it became the US governments scapegoat in the 60s. The had propaganda spread out to instill the fear of communism. They said if you smoke it, it'll turn you into a commie. In conclusion , Marilize Legauana!
  #12  
Old November 14, 2013, 05:52:47 PM
Sub-zero's Avatar
Sub-zero Sub-zero is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lin Kuei Temple, Arctika
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marching12step View Post
Legalizing marijuana is extremely controversial in today's society, however I believe it would beneficial on the economy, crime rate, and even the addiction level. Let us look at the economic aspect. Taxing marijuana would stimulate the economy. Having the tax would provide money for the government, the new job outlet would decrease unemployment. The crime rate would decrease because a major legal problem is out. Marijuana is also cause a pshycological dependence, not a pshyical dependence, which is better than tobacco and alcohol. If regulated and age-restricted, there is no reason marijuana can not be legalized.
You pretty much hit the nail there. My only problem with Mari is that it adds a new bad chemical for our infants. Lol, also keep in mind it increases your chances for brain tumors due to nervous system wrecking. Buuut, that's up to those who want to use it.

Indeed, Mari is a problem in crime, though it isn't as targeted as the media makes it to be. What this will take care of is Cartels that are making a HUGE profit on this drug. However, there will be a blackmarket of Mari so time will tell how that turns out. Note, the real targeted drugs are Meth and Synthetic Marijuana (worst thing EVER).
  #13  
Old November 14, 2013, 07:54:21 PM
Magmaster12's Avatar
Magmaster12 Magmaster12 is offline
Rayquaza
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: You would know
Posts: 4,960
Default

I'm not surprised, I just found out recently my sisters been smoking pot for who knows how long but whenever she'd do it she'd be annoying or overly happy, I feel like a moron for not noticing the signs earlier.

Even though everyone and I mean EVERYONE I know around my age has done it I'm just not interested in it, if I want to relax I just try to take my mind off of what's driving me insane. If I want to see insane things I can just look that up on youtube. And if I want to act socially awkward I can that's already my choice.

I really don't have a problem with it though some of the people I know who use it are really nice people and it keeps them calm if they're willing to waste there time because of some emotional trauma let 'em because they're just going to do something even stupider if they're not. As for it being a gateway drug I think that completely untrue it's only a gateway drug BECAUSE it's illegal just like what happened with prohibition.

Plus if it where legal we could tax it and save money on court room stuff. So yeah even though I don't care about I'm all for it being legal.
  #14  
Old November 14, 2013, 08:17:58 PM
Dragonite's Avatar
Dragonite Dragonite is offline
Keldeo
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Your refrigerator.
Posts: 1,095
Default

I feel like legalizing marijuana wouldn't really change anything. Sure, they could tax the living daylights out of it. But wouldn't that just encourage people to grow it in their kitchen windows illegally but more cheaply?
  #15  
Old November 14, 2013, 08:22:02 PM
Sub-zero's Avatar
Sub-zero Sub-zero is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lin Kuei Temple, Arctika
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
I feel like legalizing marijuana wouldn't really change anything. Sure, they could tax the living daylights out of it. But wouldn't that just encourage people to grow it in their kitchen windows illegally but more cheaply?
That'd be bad since having it in the window is plain view and that's just asking for cops to swarm your home, lol. But yeah, I can see your point about it being grown. Many ways to get detected, though. Dogs, planes, Google Maps...
  #16  
Old November 20, 2013, 10:48:46 AM
PureAurorae's Avatar
PureAurorae PureAurorae is offline
Haxorus
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 444
Default

It should be legal, it is less dangerous than cigarettes. (Just so you know I think all forms of smoking are bad, but they should be taxed highly)
  #17  
Old November 20, 2013, 03:44:11 PM
Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~'s Avatar
Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~ Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~ is offline
Mudkip
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38
Default

1) Legalize it
2) Put taxes in it
3) Have our economy back to normal
4) Less crime and gang wars
Plus, it's less damaging and addictive than tobacco.
Now let's talk about how it's legal in Amsterdam, and how little users there are there.

Last edited by Karpy ~aka Zoroarklover~; November 20, 2013 at 03:47:05 PM.
  #18  
Old November 20, 2013, 06:53:25 PM
Shade's Avatar
Shade Shade is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: World of Darkness
Posts: 890
Default

Even if they do legalize mari, there will still be a market to traffic it illegally just to avoid paying the high taxes. This is exactly what happened when they legalized moonshine.
  #19  
Old November 20, 2013, 07:04:11 PM
Magmaster12's Avatar
Magmaster12 Magmaster12 is offline
Rayquaza
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: You would know
Posts: 4,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Even if they do legalize mari, there will still be a market to traffic it illegally just to avoid paying the high taxes. This is exactly what happened when they legalized moonshine.
But there's no real trafficking for beer or cigarettes although that's probably because tax differs per state.
  #20  
Old November 20, 2013, 07:45:54 PM
Sub-zero's Avatar
Sub-zero Sub-zero is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lin Kuei Temple, Arctika
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Even if they do legalize mari, there will still be a market to traffic it illegally just to avoid paying the high taxes. This is exactly what happened when they legalized moonshine.
Those are my thoughts as well, but at least we'll be able to get most of those who are in jail for marijuana out to leave more room for those who actually do harmful crime. Lol, if people avoid those taxes by purchasing from the black market, I'm sure the feds will love tracking them and busting places.

Same for those who sell alcoholic beverages who pop the seals on bottles to refill them with cheaper alcohol, but sell for the high priced labeled drink.
  #21  
Old November 21, 2013, 04:06:15 AM
Shade's Avatar
Shade Shade is offline
Regigigas
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: World of Darkness
Posts: 890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
But there's no real trafficking for beer or cigarettes although that's probably because tax differs per state.
Maybe not everywhere in the country, but there is a rather large trafficking for moonshine in the southeastern US, at least as far as I know. Besides, there's a huge difference between beer and "spirituous liquor", the former being legal to homebrew but the latter not so much. Then there's the taxes imposed on spirituous liquor [which moonshine is considered as]. Who would want to pay $30/gallon in taxes for something that's cheaper by getting it through not-so-legal ways?
 
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Victory Road ©2006 - 2020, Scott Cat333Pokémon Cheney
Theme by A'bom and Cat333Pokémon