Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 14, 2013, 04:41:27 AM
Kyurem

Default App sideloading

So, let's talk about sideloading apps here.

We all know that we can sideload apps in most Android devices as you please, in addition to downloading things from the Google Play Store. Meanwhile, Apple doesn't allow any sideloading unless you jailbreak your iDevice. Then there's Microsoft which just gave anyone with a Microsoft account the ability to sideload two uncertified apps (perhaps, homebrew) on one phone.

Do you sideload apps on your phone? Why?

I just use sideloading functionality for, well, apps that I wrote and want to use on the go.
Old August 14, 2013, 06:39:56 AM
Giratina

I do it on my iPod, which is in fact jailbroken. I don't know why I do it, I guess I just wanted more freedom. I mainly use apps that allow me infinite space for folders and the dock. Then there's a free one for an Android lock simply because it looks cool and I don't want people looking at my music library.

On my phone, ehh not so much. I'm not really an app person so I have everything I need. I might make an app one day so there may be a use yet.
Old August 14, 2013, 11:29:00 AM
Administrator

Only app I think I've sideloaded on an actual device was Pandoroid, which is a port of pianobar (less restrictive Pandora client) for Android. Doesn't matter because it doesn't work, though.

However, when messing with the official Android emulator (which is more reliable--but slower--than my tablet) I had to sideload Words With Friends and SongPop Pro, both of which I bought through Google Play with my tablet. I'm actually surprised how easy it was to find the .apk cache on the tablet.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 14, 2013 at 11:29:29 AM.
Old August 14, 2013, 11:49:48 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Only app I think I've sideloaded on an actual device was Pandoroid, which is a port of pianobar (less restrictive Pandora client) for Android. Doesn't matter because it doesn't work, though.

However, when messing with the official Android emulator (which is more reliable--but slower--than my tablet) I had to sideload Words With Friends and SongPop Pro, both of which I bought through Google Play with my tablet. I'm actually surprised how easy it was to find the .apk cache on the tablet.

Your tablet couldn't run them?
Old August 14, 2013, 11:54:29 AM
Administrator

No, my tablet is slow and everything a smartphone isn't. I think it needs to be reformatted, as now it refuses to accept touch half the time. Wonder if it'd work better with a mouse. (Note to self: find my USB mouse.)
Old August 14, 2013, 02:59:25 PM
Regigigas

I have sideloaded a few apps in the past. Mainly ones that were removed from the Google Play market for one reason or another.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:07:10 PM
Regigigas

I've sideloaded many apps, most notably older stable versions of apps (youtube) and ones not on the google play market.