Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 23, 2010, 02:38:57 PM
Regigigas

Default Stereo Mix: What is it, and how do I use it?

Okay, I've noticed a lot of you have been asking lately how to get Stereo Mix operating correctly in most cases, Vista and 7, so here's a guide.

Quote:
What is this "Stereo Mix"?
Stereo Mix is pretty much the internal equivalent of a normal, physical microphone. Also known as "What U Hear" on some sound cards, this can use any sound output you would normally get through speakers as a alternative recording source, most notably, streaming.

Quote:
How do I enable it in <insert os here>?
In Windows Vista (and most likely 7) you should have a speaker icon used to control the master volume for your computer.

>Right Click on it
>Recording Devices
>If you don't already see stereo mix in there, right click on the white space and make sure "Show disabled devices" is enabled.
>You should look somewhat like this.

Now, set it as the default device (you'll have to set this back later if you use a real Mic in most cases) Play some music or something, and if the bar beside the stereo doesn't go up (this is pitch/how loud) then that means your stereo mix may be muted.

Quote:
If your stereo mix is enabled, but has no output:
>Go to the Playback tab in sounds, right click on your speaker, click properties, then go to levels, then make sure Microphone (or anything for that matter) is not Muted. This is how I solved mine.

Thanks, and enjoy streaming or whatever. Also, this can be used for ***** (options>audio settings>stereo mix) Just don't abuse it.

Last edited by DashArmy; July 23, 2010 at 02:54:13 PM.
Old July 23, 2010, 02:50:39 PM

This helped me solve my problem because it caused me to notice that my playback was set to the wrong soundcard.
Old July 23, 2010, 05:12:40 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshArmy View Post
Quote:
How do I enable it in <insert os here>?
How about OS X Leopard (10.5)? It would sure come in handy if I knew how to do it.
If I can't, how about Windows XP?
Old July 23, 2010, 10:22:39 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
How about OS X Leopard (10.5)? It would sure come in handy if I knew how to do it.
If I can't, how about Windows XP?
Mac, I have no clue. XP should have it already enabled from my expirience. It should work for you. :/
Old September 18, 2010, 11:55:10 AM
Kyurem

Okay, so on Windows 7 I'm getting different options than on yours, and enabling everything doesn't seem to affect the stereo mix.

I need help. :I