Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 29, 2010, 03:09:38 PM
Shaymin

Default I am the most technologically impaired moron to ever exist of all time.

So is AT&T, but we'll get to heckle THEM later.

Last Saturday at 6:30 PM, my internet cut out and wouldn't reset. I was baffled at this predicament: My AT&T DSL modem showed all of its lights flashing, save for Internet. (The Internet light didn't flash because I had a D-Link Wi-Fi router connected to the DSL modem, and my internet's status was displayed on the lights there.) So, I decided I would wait a day to see if my internet would come back on. I attributed this problem to AT&T's servers crashing.

24 hours later, my internet's still dead. This cycle would continue to repeat itself for another day. On the night of the third day (12 hours remaining) I got pissed off and called AT&T's tech support. The English phone tree sucked so I had mom go through the Spanish phone line and talk to them. They wanted us to buy things that would "fix" our problem (they wanted us to buy a $100 dollar updated modem) and we hung up on them. So, I called the English phone line and got redirected to an Indian woman (yay outsourcing. Seriously AT&T? I LIVE next to one of your damn buildings! Why can't I talk to the dudes there?!) who asked me if any devices were connected to the modem, and to remove them and try using the internet on my computers.

I removed my D-Link and plugged the ethernet cable from the modem into my Macbook. It automatically logged me onto Steam and ***** without warning. I then shut off the Macbook Pro and plugged it into my Windows XP Pro '03 desktop. Although the computer itself started up slow I had a connection to the Internet.

...What the hell, man. For three days the source of the problem was right in front of me yet I almost blatantly refused to try and fix it. I thanked the lady on the other end and hung up.

Now I have a new problem. How the hell do I fix my D-Link router so that I can still have it linked to the DSL modem and go onto the internet?
Old September 29, 2010, 05:10:26 PM
Giratina

You could try resetting it by unplugging it for 10 seconds or more. That will fix most problems, and if it doesn't, you can find a router to replace it for under 60$.
Old September 29, 2010, 07:16:17 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
You could try resetting it by unplugging it for 10 seconds or more. That will fix most problems, and if it doesn't, you can find a router to replace it for under 60$.
... Did you really just quote the automated AT&T help service? Don't think I haven't already tried resetting it. And this router was good quality for $35 so I'm not buying a replacement for >$50.
Old September 29, 2010, 11:39:33 PM
Haxorus

Another one of my weakness': AT&T. >.< Buncha mother*****ng ***hats, that.

Uhm. Instead of resetting your router, try plugging everything as it was before you jacked your ethernet directly into your tower, and pulling power from your modem, router, and possibly cable box, if you're tapping it. If not, just unplug your router/modem.

I say give it ten minutes, fifteen max. Take a dump, make a sandwich [Not both as the same time, mind you], something that takes a quarter of an hour.

Power everything back up.

Bill's in the mail. /./Noms Pockey././
Old September 30, 2010, 03:11:09 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
Another one of my weakness': AT&T. >.< Buncha mother*****ng ***hats, that.

Uhm. Instead of resetting your router, try plugging everything as it was before you jacked your ethernet directly into your tower, and pulling power from your modem, router, and possibly cable box, if you're tapping it. If not, just unplug your router/modem.

I say give it ten minutes, fifteen max. Take a dump, make a sandwich [Not both as the same time, mind you], something that takes a quarter of an hour.

Power everything back up.

Bill's in the mail. /./Noms Pockey././

Erm. I'll try that. And I'm not paying for this service, unless the five bucks goes towards your MII cartridge.
Old October 3, 2010, 08:51:34 AM
Shaymin

Double post.

So uh. I took Techno's advice (with a few adjustments of my own) and lo and behold it worked. Not only that but I also got my Macbook wirelessly connected to the internet, so no more having to use multiple Ethernet wires and less of a mess below my computer desk.

Now I gotta try my DSi and Wii...

EDIT: So, apparently I can only have either my DSi, my Wii, or my Macbook connected to the internet at one time because my Macbook states that dual IP addresses are detected and I have to change the IP address of the other device, or the IP address of the Mac.

What do I do now help.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; October 3, 2010 at 09:08:06 AM.
Old October 3, 2010, 02:59:33 PM
Haxorus

I told ya it'd work. :3

For that, I can only help you by telling you to abandon your Mac and get an actual computer.

Macs are notorious for being "Stand-alone", "The only machine you want or need or can use". Get an Asus with Win7, and it'll work.

Otherwise, your Failbook will tell you that multiple devices are connecting to the same internet, WHICH SHOULD BE ALLOWED, and kick everything off.

I can help you no further than telling you to just leave Macs behind and get a real computer.
Old October 3, 2010, 07:04:57 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
I told ya it'd work. :3

For that, I can only help you by telling you to abandon your Mac and get an actual computer.

Macs are notorious for being "Stand-alone", "The only machine you want or need or can use". Get an Asus with Win7, and it'll work.

Otherwise, your Failbook will tell you that multiple devices are connecting to the same internet, WHICH SHOULD BE ALLOWED, and kick everything off.

I can help you no further than telling you to just leave Macs behind and get a real computer.
Actually my Wii would momentarily kick my MACBOOK off the wireless network (only to have my Macbook reconnect automatically) while my DSi would refuse to connect until I changed my Macbook's IP.

If my Windows XP counts as a real computer, I use that as my wired connectivity provider the DSL modem requires in order to get a connection to the internet.

Also now you're just being biased towards OS X users because you're Linux savvy :V
Old October 3, 2010, 10:48:18 PM
Haxorus

I'm bias against OSx because it's unnecessarily underpowered, over-expensive, and incompatible with everything that doesn't bear an Apple badge.

And your Wii is kicking your Macbook off because it's smart.

In all seriousness, look into accessing your router. It could be denying service to certain devices simultaneously due to system settings.