Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 5, 2013, 09:21:10 AM
Administrator

Default How to find a Doppelgänger Mii on the 3DS

Something rather freaky happened a little over an hour ago. First, for those who don't know how StreetPass works, your Mii is shared on your 3DS and sent to others over StreetPass Mii Plaza. Both systems normally must be physically within a few feet of each other for this exchange to occur. However, I have done something that seems physically possible.

A week ago, I had a 3DS that I've had for several years with the Cat Mii. Last month, I picked up a used 2DS so I could have a secondary system and gave it its own Zoroark Mii. A couple days ago, my 3DS was starting to have issues with the buttons so I performed a system transfer, migrating all the content from the 3DS to the 2DS. All previous data (including the Zoroark Mii) was erased on the 2DS, and after the transfer the data was erased from the 3DS. Thus, I was left with a freshly formatted 3DS and a 2DS containing the data that was previously on my 3DS. I put a new Mii on the 3DS, carefully copying the features from the previous Mii (I had sent it to the Cat system for safekeeping) and giving it the same name of Zoroark.

However, I took a look at the StreetPass Mii Plaza earlier today and noticed a doppelgänger:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mii0.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	5857
I somehow managed to find the ghost Mii?! Let's make sure...

Name:	mii2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	5854
Hm, the last played software was indeed the last thing that I used on the system (Mii Maker, to send the Mii itself over before erasing). Let's check the puzzle pieces.

Name:	mii3.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	5855Click image for larger version

Name:	mii4.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	5856
Huh. Even those are the same. Let's see if it's on the other system...

Name:	mii1.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	5853
34 tags? Well, that's definitely a confirmation that it picked up the signal of the previous data, as even a tiny difference would cause it to appear separately. (Notice the current Zoroark in the second row of Miis on the 2DS.)

Well, after thinking for a while, I think I figured it out. If you give up, check the spoiler.

The answer    

Nintendo upgraded their Nintendo Zone system a while back. Anyone passing by a Nintendo Zone with their 3DS will deposit their Mii into the system and pick up five Miis that that Nintendo Zone happens to be distributing, which I assume is random and changes every hour or so. I stop at a certain McDonald's (which hosts a Nintendo Zone) every now and then, so I somehow managed to, out of the thousands of Miis that must have passed that spot since then, receive my previous data.

Freaky.