Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 26, 2014, 03:45:43 PM
Administrator

Default Games you purchased at full price and regretted

Did you ever buy any games at full price (typically brand new) and later wished you either waited for a price drop or didn't purchase the game at all?

For me, in order of purchase:

Hey You, Pikachu! (N64) - This game was a complete disappointment. When looking back, I really wish I would've selected Mario Party 3 or found another store with Paper Mario.

Black Bass: Lure Fishing (GBC) - After really enjoying the NES game, I thought the GBC version would be an improved version. Nope.

Zoo Tycoon DS (DS) - I enjoyed the RollerCoaster Tycoon series prior and figured a zoo simulator would be fun. Well, it wasn't bad, but having it on the DS, especially with only a single save file, ruined it.

Borderlands 2 (360) - I really enjoyed the first Borderlands, and GreenMan really got me into the hype for its sequel. For some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as the original and wished I would've waited for the price to go down.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS) - Overhyped and lacked a lot of features. It's not terrible, but it really could've been better.

I've got a lot of used titles at significantly reduced prices that I never would have paid full price for, but the purpose of this thread is to only list the ones where money was wasted.
Old March 26, 2014, 04:20:35 PM
Volcarona

Project X Zone. NEVER will I trust a game with three companies with all the best franchises in one game.
Old March 26, 2014, 04:23:05 PM
Giratina

My Wii U: I mean, it was my birthday gift and all, but literally just days afterwards they reduced the price drastically and bundled it with NSMBU. Very angry at Nintendo for it.

Sonic Unleashed (Wii): This game was total trash. I bought it because I saw all the nice trailers and heard all the nice music and wanted to explore the nice scenery... but apparently that was the 360 version. I bought this with high expectations, had to wait 2 weeks since I didn't have a classic controller at the time, and was severely disappointed that Mazuri didn't have stages and that Empire City didn't even exist.

Pokémon X and Y (3DS): I fell into the hype. This was acclaimed by even non-Pokémon fans in my school months after the first announcement, so I believed it was worth buying both versions. Now I barely play either and I find Pokémon Battle Trozei to be 3 times as fun. I'll never buy another Pokémon game at launch.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon- Gates to Infinity (3DS): As the latest installment of my favorite series I had extremely high expectations for this game. It had a lot of cool features that I'd like to see carried onto future games, but it was almost a step back and very annoying. I don't play it too much anymore.

I never bought Sticker Star, but it was terrible and I really feel sorry anyone who DID buy it.
Old March 26, 2014, 04:47:37 PM
Haxorus

Epic Mickey 2 (Wii U): I liked the first one a lot. I've played this game literally once. I don't know why I've never picked it up again. I think it felt really unfinished and controlled badly.

Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS): I don't even know where to start here. I though maybe it would return to its roots and be a fun turn based RPG. I was wrong. The bosses were really hard, and I never felt it was a good time to use my premium stickers. If it were more like classic Paper Mario, it many of these problems could've been avoided.

Darksiders II (PC): It's not that In don't like this game, I love it. Au contraire, it's just that, if I had waited a couple more months, I could've got it in a Steam sale for like, eight bucks.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:37:18 PM
Keldeo

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

This was a long time ago, before I learned that the motion sensing capabilities of the Wii were limited to spelling out your name in Mii Channel and maybe the spin jump in Galaxy. Holy crap, that game was bad. Half of the controls didn't even work, at least not the way the on-screen directions said they would.

Honorable mention goes to Pokémon X, though I don't necessarily "regret" getting it just for the sake of keeping up-to-date with Pokémon history. Would have preferred waiting 2 weeks and saving 40% on Amazon, though. Also, what Turtwig said about Trozei.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:47:55 PM
Kyurem

Sega Superstars Tennis (Wii): I don't even know why I have this; I wasn't even into Sega when I bought it.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 (X360): It's not horrendous, but it is very boring at times and it cost me $50.

GRID (PC): As a racing game, it tries to find a middle-ground between simulation and arcadey (for $30 at the time I bought it) and fails horribly.

Various racing games (DS): I was young and didn't realize that handheld ports of console games were so inferior.

Pokémon Black (DS): I think Black & White is the lowest point the franchise has hit so far... so much so that it put me off of new Pokémon games for a few years.

My Sega Genesis: Yeah it was cheap, but I hardly ever use it anymore, the coaxial cable is barely holding itself together, and most of the games I have I also have on other platforms. (and yes, I am taking "full price" pretty loosely, more interpreting it as "a decent amount of money")

Last edited by NismoZ; March 26, 2014 at 06:50:28 PM.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:14:26 PM
Administrator

Those of you who have Pokemon XY, I'm surprised the other forum members haven't chased you off with flaming pitchforks yet

I'm just going off stuff I paid retail/near retail for and wished for a price drop or something:

Paper Mario Sticker Star - While I did get it new on launch for a discounted price of $30, I still feel it was a bit much considering... well you guys pretty much summed it up so far.

Yoshi's New Island (WHAT!?) - While a nice "remake" of the original game, it's pretty easy and doesn't take long to go through all the levels. For $20-30 it'd be alright, but not the full $40. For $15-20 you'd be much better off with the original SNES version (or GBA port).

OUYA console - I got a bit caught up with the hype of a nice cheap Android-based console that would have all these great indy games and stuff on it. I paid the $100 for it, and there's really only one exclusive game I play on it (and even then it's multiplayer so that limits my usage time). I'm sure it probably still has some interesting potential (though everyone is shifting to AR/virtual reality systems now), but I don't think I've used it for more then like 10 hours total.

Again these were just things I bought new and how much I got out of them.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:46:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
OUYA console - I got a bit caught up with the hype of a nice cheap Android-based console that would have all these great indy games and stuff on it. I paid the $100 for it, and there's really only one exclusive game I play on it (and even then it's multiplayer so that limits my usage time). I'm sure it probably still has some interesting potential (though everyone is shifting to AR/virtual reality systems now), but I don't think I've used it for more then like 10 hours total.
Oh yeah, I forgot that thing. It was a great concept but terribly executed. The biggest problem was that it was severely underpowered, so much that it was weaker than the majority of Android smartphones at the time of its conception, and many folks should know how quickly smartphones become outdated. As a game console, most of the developers jumped ship after releasing their one or two titles that they promised at announcement and moved on to more powerful or more used devices/platforms. Likewise, there are very few titles that are exclusive to the Ouya (or are on the Ouya + platforms I don't own) that aren't mediocre and that I enjoy. The UI is a mess, the system doesn't function properly, and it just doesn't do anything I would like it to. The terrible controller only cemented its problems, but thankfully you can use the Xbox 360 controller with some titles. Its niche purpose is mostly for folks wanting a media center, but at that point, why not just get a (cheaper) Roku? $100 wasted.