Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 27, 2010, 07:03:50 PM
Giratina

Default How to counter Pokemon haters

This is a thread for anti-anti-Pokemon fans to tell other Pokemon fans on how to counter Pokemon haters. Here is what I have to say.

1. Don't be afraid: Plain and simple, don't be afraid to say you are a fan of Pokemon. Pokemon is very popular around the world and some of your friends are most likely Pokemon fans as well. The number of Pokemon fans is much greater than the number of Pokemon haters.

2. Bash the haters likes: If a hater says "OMG you like Pokemon?! Why?! It's for babies!!", ask them what their likes are. If they say something like, Call of Duty, find a way to bash it.
Example: Call of Duty. What I would say: "What kind of person are you? You seriously enjoy killing people, real or not? What if that was you on the battle field? Those people haven't done anything to you, and you would kill them?! You are a sick and twisted person."

3. Out smart the hater: If haters at my school are anything like the ones in your school, they are dumb - gullible. Find a way to out-smart the no-knowledge hater. Haters will also typically have no idea what they are talking about. That means you could easily find flaws in their arguments.

4. Pull reverse psychology on them: This can also go with #3. If a hater says "why do you play Pokemon?", say to them "why don't you play Pokemon?". Then you can go on about how Pokemon is one of the greatest and best selling games ever made. And remember to completely wreck their minds by your mind/will power. You might even be able to convince them to stop hating Pokemon.

This is all I can think of. What counter tips can you people think of?
Old August 28, 2010, 01:19:34 AM
Keldeo

You forgot the method of not giving a damn. :V This only works if you really do not care, but if ya don't try and make it as obvious as possible.

Mock there attempts.
"Different people with different opinions. My god unbelievable!"
"Haters gonna hate *swagger away like a badass* "

Your first method works very well too. Infact if ya do know something there sensitive with ya can just troll em until there mad. But saying stuff like there heartless for killing in a video game is just...dumb. Seriously they could care less. Every gamers weak point is pointing out how utterly crap you think there game is if they care. Just diss whatever they play to oblivion even if your just BS'ing em. Actually if ya don't mean what ya say the better, as you laugh to yourself while there mad. Press on about how its overatted, it takes no skill, the unoriginallity ect ect. Of course only do this if ya wanna be mean. Honestly I just go with the method of not caring unless its some loser actually does care soooo deeply about a game. There easy to weed out and are VERY emotional if ya get at em. Just my 2 cent, but don't deliberately be a jerk...unless your bored. =3= And remember, say everything with a smile as if your amused. :3 (Usually I do this unintentionally because I really am amused. Messing with people is fun. =w

Last edited by Sunny; August 28, 2010 at 01:22:11 AM.
Old August 28, 2010, 05:31:51 AM
Servine

OMG YES

i was at school 1 day so me and my friend battled in class (we didnt get caught)

even though 1 kid saw me he started calling me G@y for likeing pokemon

i was like go home fatty go play some killing game like COD or MW
Old August 28, 2010, 07:04:32 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
This is a thread for anti-anti-Pokemon fans to tell other Pokemon fans on how to counter Pokemon haters. Here is what I have to say.

1. Don't be afraid: Plain and simple, don't be afraid to say you are a fan of Pokemon. Pokemon is very popular around the world and some of your friends are most likely Pokemon fans as well. The number of Pokemon fans is much greater than the number of Pokemon haters.

2. Bash the haters likes: If a hater says "OMG you like Pokemon?! Why?! It's for babies!!", ask them what their likes are. If they say something like, Call of Duty, find a way to bash it.
Example: Call of Duty. What I would say: "What kind of person are you? You seriously enjoy killing people, real or not? What if that was you on the battle field? Those people haven't done anything to you, and you would kill them?! You are a sick and twisted person."

3. Out smart the hater: If haters at my school are anything like the ones in your school, they are dumb - gullible. Find a way to out-smart the no-knowledge hater. Haters will also typically have no idea what they are talking about. That means you could easily find flaws in their arguments.

4. Pull reverse psychology on them: This can also go with #3. If a hater says "why do you play Pokemon?", say to them "why don't you play Pokemon?". Then you can go on about how Pokemon is one of the greatest and best selling games ever made. And remember to completely wreck their minds by your mind/will power. You might even be able to convince them to stop hating Pokemon.

This is all I can think of. What counter tips can you people think of?

These are some of the better points I've seen lately, especially #3 - as someone whose been doing AAP online for over a decade, I'm glad to see there are fans are still willing to stand up for Pokemon.

So on the subject, what are the current AP/AAP issues today? It seems that nowadays it's just more "haters" than parents and teachers...either way, makes me glad to be out of the school system...hang in there!
Old August 28, 2010, 07:18:19 AM
Giratina

You can also present facts as well as figures to prove that Pokémon is internationally popular, and that it is one of the best-selling franchises in the world. You could mention the 1 million pre-orders of Pokémon B/W, for starters.

Last edited by Shadow; August 28, 2010 at 07:20:37 AM.
Old August 28, 2010, 11:16:09 AM
Giratina

Yeah... No. Giving them facts and figures makes them hate you more. They'll call you a gay Pokémon fan with no live who has sex with Pikachu or something. Srsly.
Old August 28, 2010, 12:00:41 PM
Giratina

Nin has a point, but then you can make fun of the hater for thinking of creepy stuff like that.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:43:39 AM
Shaymin

For the ones who think Pokemon is for little kids and think you should be out playing Call of Duty, what I found worked for me was pointing out more little kids tend to play Call of Duty more than Pokemon, Turning their argument against them.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:46:19 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
For the ones who think Pokemon is for little kids and think you should be out playing Call of Duty, what I found worked for me was pointing out more little kids tend to play Call of Duty more than Pokemon, Turning their argument against them.
So that way, the haters are contradicting themselves. It all makes sense now: The haters want older audiences playing more CoD than Pokemon so they can get rid of the growing 8-year old population of CoD players! :O
Old September 10, 2010, 03:21:57 PM
Servine

In a way the pokemon haters are 100% right that pokemon games are suited for kids but teen or older then 18+ gamers love games that has more to strategy like chess and poker but Pokemon is not any different from poker and chess.

Pokemon is about using your team building skills to create your pokemon team in the games and to use strategies to help you win with the pokemon team you developed by using your team building skills.

It's perfectly clear that the pokemon haters didn't like school and have poor grades at school to not understand the word skills and strategy.
Old September 10, 2010, 03:41:30 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengar View Post
In a way the pokemon haters are 100% right that pokemon games are suited for kids but teen or older then 18+ gamers love games that has more to strategy like chess and poker but Pokemon is not any different from poker and chess.
Actually I think that the Pokémon games were also intended for the older gamers, but I know that because of IVs, EVs, and Natures. the average child that doesn't go online, wouldn't know about these things.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:15:06 AM
Giratina

When you look around, you notice that a lot of Pokemon haters also tend to be bullies. These kind of people are failing in everything - school, home life, social life, being a law-abiding citizen. What they do to make themselves feel better about their insecurities, is bash on other people's likes. They can easily aim for Pokemon lovers (or even people who just "like" them games) because there are a lot of people who play Pokemon. Its just, with all of the haters saying the things that they do, Pokemon fans are afraid to admit the fact they play Pokemon, or even a fan of it. If you know what is going on in the haters life, you can pick at it until the hater snaps and just leaves you alone. If you don't, try and tell them whatever is wrong in there life, just leave you out of it. All in all, Pokemon haters are just people whose life has had a wrong turn and they need a way to make themselves feel better.
Old September 18, 2010, 03:50:01 AM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
When you look around, you notice that a lot of Pokemon haters also tend to be bullies. These kind of people are failing in everything - school, home life, social life, being a law-abiding citizen. What they do to make themselves feel better about their insecurities, is bash on other people's likes. They can easily aim for Pokemon lovers (or even people who just "like" them games) because there are a lot of people who play Pokemon. Its just, with all of the haters saying the things that they do, Pokemon fans are afraid to admit the fact they play Pokemon, or even a fan of it. If you know what is going on in the haters life, you can pick at it until the hater snaps and just leaves you alone. If you don't, try and tell them whatever is wrong in there life, just leave you out of it. All in all, Pokemon haters are just people whose life has had a wrong turn and they need a way to make themselves feel better.
Don't worry the bullies don't last long and there will always be a place at prison cells and throw away the key so they don't pick on people ever again.
Old September 18, 2010, 07:18:39 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengar View Post
Don't worry the bullies don't last long and there will always be a place at prison cells and throw away the key so they don't pick on people ever again.
At least, not for another 20 years...
Old September 29, 2010, 03:06:22 PM
Magikarp

Ask them if they play Farmville.
Old September 29, 2010, 05:18:38 PM
Celebi

I agree with Gengar and JC. Pokemon really grew as the players did because in the orignal pokmon games all you did was catch/level up pokemon and beat the elite 4. Now there is EVs, IVs, Nature, Physical/Special moves, etc. So as the players get older the games get harder because now you can raise pokemon differently and there is competitive battling and strategies to come up with to defeat you opponent.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:08:06 PM
Volcarona

tsk, tsk, tsk. I both agree and disagree with this idea. Pokemon is as much important as the Sonic the Hedgehog. Plus, not to be a jackass or anything, but I think some pokemon games are a bit overrated. ( by no means do I hate Pokemon, trust me, I love it) You should accept the person for who they are. My two friends at school HATE pokemon. That doesn't mean I should make fun of them. If someone said " Sonic sucks" I wouldn't blame them it's their opinion. God dammit. And you should respect it. :/ (didn't mean to come off mean like that, it's just a point)
Old September 30, 2010, 12:54:18 PM
Giratina

Although I agree with that, I don't mean you have to bash on everyone who doesn't like Pokemon/Sonic/etc.

I'm saying these are counters to Pokemon haters. If someone says "I hate Pokemon" and then rambles on about baseless knowledge or unreasonable facts, that's what you would counter.

On the other hand, if someone says "I hate Pokemon because I don't find it fun", that's reasonable. That person may not be into RPG's or adventure games. I wouldn't bash someone who doesn't like Pokemon for a reasonable reason.
Old October 4, 2010, 10:10:09 AM
Joltik

Well, um... I think an evasive way of dealing with anti-pokemon people (if you MUST) would be...

Dealing with bullies:
Ignore them. If they get physical, that's grounds for a lawsuit or at least it gives you something to tell a teacher. Don't be silly and use "facts" or "witts" to combat a bully. Bullies honestly don't give a flying nun, so they'll just hear you say "Please hurt me! Please hurt me! Please hurt me!" whenever you try to explain ANYTHING to them. And of course, bullies are nice people, so they will cause you bodily harm since you kindly asked for it.

Dealing with friends:
Make a joke just to humor them. "Yeah, I'm actually 8, go figure." A real friend wouldn't proceed to humiliate you or physically harm you, so that shouldn't even be a problem. If it is a problem, just ignore them. Sure friends/people in general fight over the dumbest of things, but fighting over Pokemon being good or not is definitely not any less dumb.

Dealing with parents and other adults:
I'm 20 and still play Pokemon. My parents, luckily enough, are smart enough to know what the little "E" on the Pokemon box stands for. Thank goodness for having parents with IQs over 50!

Though if you aren't as lucky as me, then point out the fact it's rated E for "everyone". If they still don't get it, proceed to define what "everyone" means. It's a FACT that the game is acceptable for anyone to play - so says the bigwig game raters (AKA: the people who have more validity over the common man). Only a sillyhead would say otherwise. So you're not countering the person, you're just educating them and bringing them up to speed.

Dealing with other adults(when you're an adult):
I don't see this ever happening. After all, since when do people actually care about what other people are doing? If worse comes to worse, just ignore them. If for some reason they are losers and keep pestering you, tell them to get a life. If for some reason it turns physical...

Deal with it
File a lawsuit
?????
Profit!(of the monetary variety)

Dealing with folks on the internet:
The internet is made for free-expression, so go nuts! Though it would be so much easier to just ignore the offender. If a person "trolls" you for liking Pokemon in your own thread, just "troll" right back and make sure your trolling response doesn't have holes in it. This way you can leave it at that, and if (s)he posts back, then everyone can see how much of a desperate loser he/she is. Saying you like Pokemon and providing "facts" only makes their trolling attempt more successful, and in turn, doesn't make you look good at all.

When someone says they hate a game, they are entitled to their opinion even if it's for a stupid reason if they even have a reason. After all, saying someone's opinion for something superfluous is wrong and your opinion is right means... DOUBLE STANDARD(S)! WOOOOOOOOO! Mostly because there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to something that isn't an official study. IE: You can technically have a right or wrong opinion for things concerning History, Sociology, Science, etc. You can't have a wrong opinion for things concerning tv shows, books, games, etc. After all, those types of things are purely subjective.

Someone can back up his or her OPINION all he/she wants, but in the end, it's still just a game/book/tv show. Or to put it in layman's terms, "Nobody cares." Unless one considers winning an argument about something superficial to be beneficial to either party, then um, I hope he/she has fun with that. Personally, I don't think barking at someone (which seems as productive as talking to a wall) is all that great.

I mostly base my opinion off of what I think. I have "proudly" displayed my love for Pokemon, but if someone hates it, so be it. If someone loves it, hooray we can exchange friend codes! Either way, it doesn't make the game any less enjoyable for me.

TL;DR of this ridonculous text wall (there goes 4 minutes of my life!)
You can't exactly say an opinion about a video game is wrong. Try not to challenge someone's opinion when it's about something superficial. Ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore and play pokemon some more, some more, some more, some more, some more.

Last edited by Duran; October 4, 2010 at 10:12:01 AM.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:50:29 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
I've never tried that before.
Old February 4, 2011, 02:00:23 PM
Volcarona

One quote from a user: 6 year old kids go out and play Call of Duty Black Ops while growns up play Kirby's Epic Yarn. I absolutely agree with this. GAMES DON'T MAKE YOU COOLER! I played Resident Evil 4, I didn't feel any more cooler then I already am. Pokemon can have the same excuse as well.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:05:34 PM
Cyndaquil

Only thing I pretty much do is just not care. I remember when I was in high school and this kid was playing Diamond and the guy next to him belittled him for playing it I knew him so I told him leave him alone and said I like playing Pokemon to. He was immature so he keep belittling him but for some reason not me. Kid thanked me for defending him and became a friend of his.

Pretty much my advice is just don't let others get to you when you play, doesn't matter what they think it's what you enjoy.

Last edited by Tune; April 25, 2011 at 06:06:15 PM.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:53:53 PM
Pikachu

I've usually met people who say they left the fandom years ago, but they don't bash me for loving Pokemon as an adult
Old July 2, 2011, 04:09:15 PM
Joltik

If Pokemon's for babies... then how old were the creators?!
:3