Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 12, 2011, 01:02:41 PM
Regigigas

Default Anti-Anti-New-Pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The first poster in the comments for virtually any Youtube video relating to RSEFrLgDPPtHgSsBW
The new pokemon sux. they shud go back 2 teh original 151! thumbs up if u agree
Dear new Pokemon hater,

If there's anything I hate more than people who want a game with every region in it, it's the fans that hate the new Pokemon so much that they never buy and/or boycott the new games, anime, and TCG, etc. You are not a true Pokemon fan, and you're as annoying as hell (which, from what I've heard, is very annoying). And sadly, the number of "fans" that fall under this category seems to be going up every generation. I, of course, love the Gen V Pokemon. I even like the vast majority of the English names (Volcarona and Snivy are THE BEST names in the history of Pokemon). Each generation has a different theme to it than the last. The first two were simplistic in design, and they started becoming more and more complex until nowadays some of them don't even look like Pokemon, so I can kinda see why you're so against the new ones. Well, you just have to suck it the [expletive] up and adapt to the changing times.

Sincerely, Kurusu Lapras
Old February 12, 2011, 01:03:56 PM
Kyurem

Count me into this group xD
Old February 12, 2011, 02:23:28 PM

Ooh, I've a story related to this that I must share.
The other day, I was on Facebook, browsing as usual to see what was up with my friends. Well, one of them was mad that Guitar Hero was being shelved for the time being. She then posed the question of why they were still making Pokémon games, then commented how they "stop making digimon stuff when they realized it sucked." Which basically indirectly says that Pokémon sucks through her opinion. Being the type of Pokémon defender I am, I decided to whip out the facts on her. I reply that Black and White were the fastest selling DS games. She then sassed me on how she "knew a lot of people that are sick of the pokemon series cuz they suck." I almost gave up at that point. I tried a last ditch attempt in the form of this paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616
I'll try one more time...
Obviously, not enough people are sick of it, if it's the fastest selling DS game that exists. It's still one of the best RPGs that's out there. Some mechanics change over time, new Pokémon and moves are added, but it adds to the replay value. Oh, by the way, Digimon isn't quite over. IIRC, there's a new anime and a new pair of games coming out in Japan soon.
Then she said that if it bothered me that much that I didn't need to reply. I then said I felt the need to. She then said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by One of Ditto's "Purist" friends
idc whatr you think im feel like im right aabout this one
She then proceeded to delete the comments as I was about to say everyone was entitled to their own opinion. Not sure if I won that argument or not.
Old February 12, 2011, 03:08:54 PM
Volcarona

I'm with this, too. It's just annoying to see "OMG 151 IS TEH WIN!1!1" or "What? These pokemon look stupid. My 5-year-old cousin could do better!" almost everywhere.
Old February 12, 2011, 03:21:17 PM
Landorus

The only statement I disagree with here is that the best names are Volcarona and Snivy. I'm not saying that they're bad, but I've seen better. And Nintendo of America might want to take the public's opinion sometimes. And, yeah, the pokemon nowadays don't really look like pokemon anymore, but kinda more like they're from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. But hey, I love those games. The monster style in those games are great, too. Just the best thing to do with these conservative haters is laugh at them and enjoy the game yourself.
Like a boss.

Last edited by Idno58; February 12, 2011 at 03:21:42 PM.
Old February 12, 2011, 05:55:05 PM
Haxorus

I know, right? I mean I don't see why they even bother to hate on pokemon if they don't like them. Why don't they just leave it alone? We don't need them, we obviously have enough fans. But, I guess since this beautiful world has blessed us with differences, everyone has a different opinion. But like Idno said, just laugh at them and their need to hate on a children's video game...(not saying it's bad for us to play it, though)
Old February 12, 2011, 07:21:57 PM
Keldeo

Hmm, people just don't get it anymore; I love Pokémon, I "EVOLVE" with the franchise (Really it's the only way to go)

I love Pokémon and all additions, nothing is going to change that and Game Freak makes these games for us (the true fans) as they know that we are willing and accepting for any and all new additions.

That being said, I don't have any respect for those that think that we should have kept with the original 151; Come on! Ho-Oh (Dex no. 250) was in the FIRST episode of the Animé, which did indicate that there would be new additions no matter what.

Last edited by JC; February 12, 2011 at 07:35:02 PM.
Old February 12, 2011, 08:15:34 PM
Administrator

My typical counter-argument for these nuts is something I recall from (I think) Junichi Masuda's blog. There were over 500 designs drawn up before 151 of them were selected to be put into Pokémon Red and Green. Of the 350+ remaining designs, I'm sure we have seen them implemented in later games. Those who argue that the "original" designs should probably learn that there are most likely quite a few later 'mons that were in the original designs.

If I get these kinds of comments on my videos, I just ignore and delete them.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:35:27 AM
Regigigas

What I love is that people who complain about the new Pokemon have one of two arguments:

1. These new Pokemon are so unoriginal! They look exactly like the old ones!
2. These new Pokemon are too different! They look nothing like the old ones!

Personally, I think this Gen has some of the best Pokemon. My favorite is Gen 3, and I don't really like any of the Gen 1 Pokemon, but let's not get into that.
Old February 14, 2011, 07:36:50 AM
Giratina

Before presenting any other argument against such ignorant people, I'd like some person or group to come up with original designs for around 700 unique Pokémon (counting the different formes). If these people have any sense, they would've immediately realized how difficult a job this is.

Last edited by Shadow; February 14, 2011 at 07:37:15 AM.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:07:59 PM
Regigigas

To quote the furred fox cat guy thingy;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Like anything, games change and adapt with time. My old games were great, and I'll always have fond memories of playing them. I'm just happy to capture a bit of that sentimentality in a new game.
And I completely agree. Not on the later after-quote part, though, I'd still be mad at Mankey Paw for giving me an empty DNF box.
Old April 20, 2011, 04:09:44 AM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
What I love is that people who complain about the new Pokemon have one of two arguments:

1. These new Pokemon are so unoriginal! They look exactly like the old ones!
2. These new Pokemon are too different! They look nothing like the old ones!
Exactly! XD
My favorite is Gen 3 too. Well, now Gen 3 and 5. I really didn't like Gen 4, DPPt. When they came, and I found how horrible they were (to me) I stopped playing Pkmn. Until HG&SS were announced, then I could play again :]
Old April 20, 2011, 06:14:31 AM
Landorus

I showed my friend some of the new pokemon and he said "It's terrible!" to every single one. Then I showed him how equally unoriginal the first 150 are and he ended up complimenting them all.

example:

I show him Tepig.

Friend: "Oh, come on! It's just a fire pig! It's terrible!"

I show him charmander

Me: "Oh come on! It's just a fire lizard! It's terrible!"

Friend: "What are you talking about? It's awesome!"

I show him Sigilyph.

Friend: "What the hell is that thing!? It looks like Forretress with an extra eyeball and little wings!

I show him Cloyster

Me: "What the hell is that thing!? It looks like Gastly with a bunch of spikes!

Friend: "What are you talking about? All those spikes look really cool!"

I know he's probably trolling, but the guy keeps dissing the new pokemon, going on and showing me all these webcomics on how the new ones suck.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...kesMeFeelAngry
Old April 20, 2011, 07:08:59 AM
Linoone

Personally I find the whole "the English names suck" argument completely baseless as they always go back to the Japanese names.

You see the problem here is that the people saying this don't speak any Japanese (at least they may think they can, but they'd butcher the language if they tried) so the names don't make much sense to them, but it's Japanese, so it's cool right? Wrong - ask an actual Japanese speaker (I am not of this category, but I've heard this from them) and they'll tell you the Japanese names are as senseless and weird sounding as the English ones in Japanese. So in the end, this argument just flows from an over glorification of Asian culture from a group of people that understand nothing or very little about it.

As for the new art style I can't say I like it that much, seems really hit or miss with how the new ones turned out - some turned out great while others are a bit meh, every series has it's meh ones so it's understandable that some won't turn out so great. While there seems to more meh or just plain pointless subjects (icecream cones ftl) this time around that doesn't mean the entire series is bad. Often the "new ones suck" argument just stems from excessive nostalgia - nostalgia's great, just don't let it be the only basis for your argument.
Old April 20, 2011, 08:55:31 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WherewolfTherewolf View Post
You see the problem here is that the people saying this don't speak any Japanese (at least they may think they can, but they'd butcher the language if they tried) so the names don't make much sense to them, but it's Japanese, so it's cool right? Wrong - ask an actual Japanese speaker (I am not of this category, but I've heard this from them) and they'll tell you the Japanese names are as senseless and weird sounding as the English ones in Japanese. So in the end, this argument just flows from an over glorification of Asian culture from a group of people that understand nothing or very little about it.
I agree that this over glorification of the asian culture by a certain group exists, and the solution would be: Buy the games in japanese! But, as you said, they might not know the language very well, so the best they can do is whine about it.
There are nice names in japanese, english, french and german...I have my favourites. I never saw any of the spanish or italian names, though.
Old April 20, 2011, 09:02:33 PM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflanze View Post
I agree that this over glorification of the asian culture by a certain group exists, and the solution would be: Buy the games in japanese! But, as you said, they might not know the language very well, so the best they can do is whine about it.
There are nice names in japanese, english, french and german...I have my favourites. I never saw any of the spanish or italian names, though.
You see though, if everyone had your attitude things would be fine - sure it's a far stretch to say that ALL the japanese names sound terrible in japanese, and it's healthy to enjoy some of the japanese names simply for the fact that they're foreign and they sound cool to you - but there's just such vast numbers of ignorant people who know nothing about Asian culture and yet seem to think they know everything about it, that go around whining about pretty much anything in English. As you said, if they're going to complain they might as well just buy it in Japanese and suffer through not understanding most of the game.