Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 21, 2012, 10:41:51 AM
Administrator

Default Goodbye Nintendo Power

Anyone still have a subscription to Nintendo Power? Enjoy it while it lasts, because it'll be coming to an end soon. Future Publishing is getting tired of dealing with Nintendo saying they are difficult to work with, and Nintendo isn't showing any interest in renewing their contract or going into self-publishing.

And that my friends ends an era in gaming history. Nintendo Power has been around since the days of the NES and is finally going out 24 years later. While it's understandable with the internet giving you up to the minute updates making magazines obsolete (or any printed media for that matter), it's still sad to see one of the last things that has been with Nintendo since the beginning finally see it's end. Chris Hoffman (senior editor for NP) stated on Twitter that he is sad to see it go and will be doing their best to make the final issue something memorable.

I personally don't have a full subscription to NP, but I do have a few magazines from when they gave away free issues and a few random ones I picked up here and there. I'm certainly going to be purchasing the last issue when it comes out. How this will affect people with active subscriptions is still unknown.

With that, I leave you with the first commercial for Nintendo Power

Source
Nintendo Power's Twitter feed

Update 8/22
Just as an update, we got an official word from Nintendo:

Quote:
Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012. For Nintendo Power subscription inquiries, please visit nintendopower.com/customerservice. Check out Nintendo at nintendo.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/nintendo or on Twitter @nintendoamerica.
So December will be the last issue. Also something interesting, some of the tweets saying extra work will be put into the last issue to make it special have been removed.

Source

Update 8/22
Another update. For those of you whose subscription will go beyond the end of the year, Future Publishing is offering a refund for whatever remaining issues you won't receive.

Source

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 22, 2012 at 07:37:57 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:29:16 AM

This saddens me...I used to have a one-year subscription to Nintendo Power about 3 or 4 years ago, but didn't have the money to renew it (my original subscription was a birthday present). I'm not much into reading magazines or anything (or books for that matter...) but NP was one of the very few things I loved to read. I hate that I never subscribed to any of the future issues, and now the entire magazine is coming to an end? *sighs* I really will miss it.

Last edited by Cyrus; August 21, 2012 at 11:29:55 AM.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:35:47 AM
Shaymin

That's incredibly depressing. I loved the content and humour and the bonus posters they had on occasion made it even better than before. I had a subscription for two years, but neglected to renew it for the 3rd, so I basically just bought certain magazines here and there. Like Yoshi, I too will be getting a copy of the last issue. Any idea when this whole deal will happen, roughly? Obviously soon, but how soon?
Old August 21, 2012, 11:59:16 AM
Kyurem

well you know now that the last issue of nintendo power will be worth alot of money in a few years or more. As alot of old magazines or worth a butt load of money after 40-50 years.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:07:34 PM
Shaymin

Dang... Nintendo Power was one of the few magazines I actually waited out for... This really saddens me. :C
Old August 21, 2012, 12:35:47 PM
Administrator

Oh my. Well, I've had a Nintendo Power subscription for the last few years. It's always enjoyable to sit back and look through a magazine. I think I know why it's dying, though. The magazine used to be about the games and the community, chronicling high scores while showing off tips and tricks. Now, the magazine is loaded with content freely available on most game sites: previews, reviews, behinds-the-scenes information, and other factual stuff that's terribly out of date, sometimes stretching close to a year behind, with the most up-to-date information already revealed elsewhere. There is very little in the magazine dedicated to community or game tips anymore, with the former often reserved for the last three pages (not sheets). The magazine is effectively useless for most gamers with an Internet connection, and given Nintendo focused on information found online, it's rather expected that it failed. Now, if they revive it as a community magazine again, that'd be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
well you know now that the last issue of nintendo power will be worth alot of money in a few years or more. As alot of old magazines or worth a butt load of money after 40-50 years.
I should probably pick up ten copies and keep them in magazine protectors in that case.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:36:05 PM
Regigigas

Aww. Nintendo Power is the only magazine I still buy monthly. Too bad it's not going to be published anymore.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:03:15 PM
Administrator

Wait, I just noticed something in that commerical above. At 0:25, "Now, get Nintendo Power twelve times a year: six great issues plus six free strategy guides...that's twice the power for still 15 bucks!"

And now strategy guides are about $20 each. I wonder when they decided to stop giving the guides to subscribers and started putting them out separately.

I've attached a picture showing the progression of these strategy guides. It'd be cool to see one of Nintendo Power itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nintendo Power strategy guide progression.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	3506  
Old August 21, 2012, 01:44:11 PM
Haxorus

Ugh, this really stinks. Nintendo Power is my favorite magazine. It's nice to look forward to getting mail at least once every month. Plus, it helps me decide what games to get. The reviews are insightful, highlighting the good and the bad, the humor is good, the recent inclusion of Power Profiles was enjoyable and informative. I will sincerely miss this magazine.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:48:15 PM
Volcarona

I must say, while I'm not as much as an avid reader of Nintendo Power as many other people are, this still makes me sad. I always looked forward to seeing what was in store with the new issue, and I do have a few still laying around here and there (heck, I still have the 2011 wall calendar issue and the 12 posters that came with it in my bedroom). I just hope they can revive it in some way, because they had a good thing going for almost a quarter-century.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:54:10 PM
Regigigas

That sucks, really. Yeah, there wasn't too much in there that I could've found online faster and cheaper, but having a physical copy of true Nintendo news really brought me some of the novelty of the 80's lifestyle.

Now the only true gaming magazine we can rely on is Lame Informer, which seems to cater mostly to the FPS-obsessed, Dew-drinking society of "modern" "gamers".
Old August 21, 2012, 01:58:44 PM
Administrator

Hmm, I wonder, what if we made a magazine to replace NP?

Nah, that wouldn't work out.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:37:42 PM

Interestingly enough, 'Nintendo Power' is currently trending on Twitter. I guess news about it's downfall is spreading fast.

btwcatpleasedontkillmeforbringingupasocialnetwork D:
Old August 21, 2012, 06:18:36 PM
Zoroark

Aww man, They're my only source of finding out which games I want to get. I have a subscription to GameInformer, but the only talk of Nintendo they bring up is how they "make horrible games." Did I mention that I never read GameInformer after the first time I looked at it?
Old August 22, 2012, 10:19:56 AM
Administrator

Just as an update, we got an official word from Nintendo:

Quote:
Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012. For Nintendo Power subscription inquiries, please visit nintendopower.com/customerservice. Check out Nintendo at nintendo.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/nintendo or on Twitter @nintendoamerica.
So December will be the last issue. Also something interesting, some of the tweets saying extra work will be put into the last issue to make it special have been removed.

Source
Old August 22, 2012, 11:32:01 AM
Volcarona

Wow, this is actually depressing. I have gotten a few Nintendo Power magazines and I loved them. I especially love them for their strategy guides, which is what made them so popular in the past and truly added value to them. Back then, you were the "Cool Kid" to have a Nintendo Power magazine with a strategy guide to Super Mario 3 or some other NES game. Now they have changed too much into containing well-known information. I believe it was a Nintendo Magazine that got Dialga and Palkia's names switched up too which I saw in the library, it was amusing. x3

This also makes me think... will it happen to other popular gaming magazines? As the digital world becomes more and more mainstream and books are slowly loosing their popularity, will this be the same fate for magazines as well... to just... die off slowly? This is sad. I hope that it does not happen to books or magazines. There is just something special about seeing articles writing on paper as apposed to online. Not to mention that the magazines such as Game-informer have contests, not sure if Nintendo Power had those but if it did, then that's just another sad fact to add to the list.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:50:21 AM
Shaymin

I will sure miss this. At least we'll have one for when Pokemon Black/White 2 come out. I also hope we don't start losing other video game magazines after this. I've already had to see 1-up Magazine go under, which was sad. The more magazines we lose, the more I'm going to miss reading them when I'm not in front of a screen. I enjoy reading them outside in the sun too. D';
Old August 22, 2012, 07:37:01 PM
Administrator

Another update. For those of you whose subscription will go beyond the end of the year, Future Publishing is offering a refund for whatever remaining issues you won't receive.

Source
Old August 22, 2012, 07:39:16 PM

So December 4th is the day it hits newsstands? I'm definitely bookmarking this date. One way or another, I'm going to get my hands on the very last issue.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:23:39 PM
Administrator

Uhh, great, now I'm confused. I checked my subscription, and it simultaneously says it expired July 2012 and is pending to end July 2011, but it was set to auto-renew from when I ordered it in 2010. I have no idea if I was re-subscribed for August to December.

Edit: I checked my bank statements and Amazon order history, and neither have a payment for anything beyond my standard orders.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 22, 2012 at 09:29:39 PM.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:45:03 AM
Charizard

I gotta say, it's quite disappointing that such a good magazine is finally being put out of commission after a legacy such as this. I doubt this, but unless Nintendo changes their game plan to a sort of digital newsletter, things don't look too bright for Nintendo in the printed word.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:37:49 AM
Administrator

Just an update. Those of you with a subscription should be getting your final issue in the mail soon. Man it's depressing to see FINAL ISSUE there in big letters.

Source

For those of you like me who currently don't have a subscription but still want to get it, it'll be hitting stores Tuesday December 11th (one day short of two weeks from now). It should also be available for purchase directly from Future Publishing that day.

Last edited by Yoshi648; November 28, 2012 at 09:53:25 AM.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:45:16 AM
Giratina

I wonder how many people will store the Final Issue in a protective covering and keep it for many years down the line. You know? Like how some collectors do with certain comic books. Who knows? Maybe the Final Issue will become a very valuable collector's item 20 years in the future.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:04:34 AM
Administrator

So, here's the cover of the final issue:

Source

This is clearly a tribute to the cover of the very first issue of Nintendo Power. The cycle closes.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:14:22 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
So, here's the cover of the final issue:

Source

This is clearly a tribute to the cover of the very first issue of Nintendo Power. The cycle closes.
I suppose everything has to be bookended in the very end. It was certainly a long way in, and...

Good night and goodbye, Nintendo Power.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:51:38 AM
Administrator

Looks like I'll need to stop by Barnes and Noble and see if they have it in a few days. (I should probably look around for other recent issues, as I don't want to miss the final one with a Pokémon cover. )

THEY'RE LIKE TWINKIES.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:01:43 PM
Shaymin

I do love how they're paying a homage to the first issue with this. I'm still waiting on my copy though since I get things late for some reason.
This was literally one of the last magazines I'd buy, since it has something I like in it. :C
Old December 11, 2012, 12:50:45 PM
Administrator

Alright, the last issue hit stores today. I picked up two copies (one to actually read and enjoy and one to keep in the wrapper) from the store today. I'll put some pictures from the magazine up later today for those of you who won't be able to see it (or want a preview). It also comes with a poster with the covers of all 285 magazines.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:38:06 PM
Linoone

I'm going to go to Gamestop and get a copy before they sell out.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:00:39 PM
Administrator

I ordered both of mine (and most of the last few issues) online. I'll likewise provide some pictures. Sadly, most of the magazines are packed up, and I've only been a subscriber for a few years.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:25:36 PM
Giratina

I can't believe it's gone. This was THE magazine to me. I spent most of my time in 8th Grade just reading these with my friend (Because they were all his.) I never even got a chance to subscribe, and I was thinking about it as a New Year's Resolution. Well... now I'm finally gonna buy my first and only Nintendo Power, and I'm going to treasure it for all time.
On a positive note, that is an AMAZING cover, and I love the tribute to the first ever.

Last edited by TurtwigX; December 11, 2012 at 06:25:48 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:17:23 PM
Administrator

Alright, here is some low-light pictures/walkthrough of the final issue for you to enjoy:

There is cake in here    

*The cake was a lie

First is the pack-in poster that has the covers of every Nintendo Power magazine released.

Here's the cover. Again, this pays homage to the very first Nintendo Power cover with a clay Mario setup.

The Pulse section where fans can write in to talk with the editors. Here we got lots of messages from fans sharing their memories of Nintendo Power. 3DS page holder not included.

Next we go into Nintendo Power's top 285 games (since this is the 285th magazine). The top spot went to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Next is Great Moments in Power. This is a full-fledged timeline of Nintendo Power, along with milestones from Nintendo's history.

This is the Power Players section where all of the editors talk about their favorite memories from working on the magazine.

Even one of the ads gives a shot-out to Nintendo Power. Also something to note, seems there are a bit more ads in here then I've seen in previous ones (probably because they know every Nintendo fan will be picking this issue up in particular)

And the last major feature of the magazine is a Nester and Howard Max comic where Nester finally completes his Nintendo Power collection.

And the final page with a huge GAME OVER. Very appropriate.

This is most certainly a piece of history and should be picked up by anyone who is a fan of Nintendo. It is being sold at stores for $5.99, and can also be purchased (along with many back-issues) directly from Future Publishing

Goodbye Nintendo Power!

Last edited by Yoshi648; December 11, 2012 at 07:19:38 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:14:22 AM
Rayquaza

I must have looked all of the tri county area but I couldn't find anyone who was selling it.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:31:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I must have looked all of the tri county area but I couldn't find anyone who was selling it.
Yeah, even Future Publishing's online store is sold out also.
Old December 19, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
Zoroark

Now that it's gone I wish I had it. I feel like the guy who shows up to the party just after it ends