Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 9, 2011, 12:57:11 AM
Magikarp

Default Ethics (Philosophy on morals)

I've currently been reading up on Ethics, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion's were on Ethics. Everyone (or, most people I assume) has morals which they use to dictate their actions through life (weather it be giving to charity, helping an old lady across the street, or helping someone who's being attacked). Of course, not everyone has the same set of morals, the same kind of "right and wrong". Now my personal morals stem mostly from a particular theory called Utilitarianism (like a utility, from which the name comes from I think). In a nutshell, Utilitarian's believe that a moral decision should be made which would generate the most happiness/pleasure from the most amount of people (while minimilizing harm and sadness for the most people).

There are other camps of theories, such as Kant's theory and Virtue Ethics, and I'm wondering what kind of "law's/rules" do you follow form making moral decisions. Is it a gut feeling you have? And of course, the greatest question of them all. Why are you set of morals more superior than anyone else's? Or do we all agree here?
Old April 17, 2011, 10:31:49 AM
Servine

I don't do a whole lot of real reading on philosophy, but I do like to think about it. If I had to put my thoughts on morals into words, it'd sound a bit like this.

Morals are pretty much what people consider to be right and wrong, but I don't think, in the big picture, that anyone has the authority to judge what's right for everyone. I often describe my own ethics with the word "relativity." Everyone is different and has different needs, so any given person's ethics don't necessarily apply to everyone. Like in Kohlberg's Heinz dilemma, what one person considers morally good, someone else might not; and in the end neither person is right. Just like in cosmology, where spacetime is relative to the mass present in a given system, each person's ethics and morals are relative to themselves. No set of ethics is absolute; we all see everyone else's ethics through our own lens.

Because of that, I think the reason people consider their own ethics above everyone else's is simply that they understand their own ethics best. When it comes right down to it, because of relativity, people only have a limited understanding of each other's perspectives; the one perspective we can fully understand is our own. When it comes to making ethical decisions for others, we can only make guesses at what would work best for them. It's not always that people are actively selfish, but rather that we can only act based on that limited understanding.
Old April 21, 2011, 05:59:19 PM
Volcarona

People have different morals depending on how they live their life and their own experiences. A person who regularly have to fight for survival thinks differently than someone who doesn't believe in violence. One person would think killing someone is bad while someone thinks it's okay for to kill for survival.

This gets complicated when in a situation where you have a knife and someone is about to hurt one of your friends. You have a chance to stab the person to save your friend. The first that pops in your mind is to save your friend but does that make you a bad person? You have a purpose to kill that person which is to protect your friend. So it's not necessary a bad thing from your view. But does that make you lower your morals? It's better than to do nothing and regret from it. Most of the morals can fall between good and bad since there are many different situations that can fit for the reasons it's good and why it can be bad.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:15:49 AM
Cyndaquil

Well this is a interesting thread, well I think everyone has rights to judge the world in their own view and act accordingly but someone shouldn't discredit someone for their own ethics and judge the way other people do things. Though because of these differences disputes and conflict can occur and cause, oh lets say genocide, all because of different views. This is why I question why we have to separate the human RACE into categories and further distance between a compromise between the "different races".
Old August 19, 2011, 11:07:16 AM
Kyurem

Bumpumpumpump...

Just for the record, race is a phenotype that is linked to a variety of separate genes than can, for instance, increase the likelihood of high blood pressure or becoming lactose intolerant. If you merely see race as the colour of a person's skin than... well, I should leave it at that.

...Also, I'm pretty sure most genocide is culture-, not race-, related.
Old August 19, 2011, 02:09:12 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
Bumpumpumpump...

Just for the record, race is a phenotype that is linked to a variety of separate genes than can, for instance, increase the likelihood of high blood pressure or becoming lactose intolerant. If you merely see race as the colour of a person's skin than... well, I should leave it at that.

...Also, I'm pretty sure most genocide is culture-, not race-, related.
Genocide is related to any large group of people who share something in common. This could be race, culture, home country, or CoD clan.
Old August 19, 2011, 03:28:21 PM
Zoroark

Ethics are obviously different for every person. Humans *supposedly* have a conscience which helps them distinguish right from wrong. But in a psychological sense, a conscience is often described as leading to feelings of remorse when a human commits an action that goes against his/her moral feelings. Basically the same thing in a sense.

All, or at least most of us, feel the need to do the right thing. Most of us follow our Religion and what-not. Others are Atheist and don't follow any particular God. Which means there must be something that's telling them to do the right thing. Being nice to others usually insinuates that they will be nice to you, so that could be a liable reasoning behind treating others nicely.

A person's ethics usually come from their religious views and/or culture. Different religions and different cultures have different views on things, that's nothing new to some people. If everybody would just snap into reality and realize that people have different views, and it's very hard to make them change their views, the world would be a better place.
Old August 19, 2011, 04:18:20 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
All, or at least most of us, feel the need to do the right thing. Most of us follow our Religion and what-not. Others are Atheist and don't follow any particular God. Which means there must be something that's telling them to do the right thing. Being nice to others usually insinuates that they will be nice to you, so that could be a liable reasoning behind treating others nicely.
Eh, I've known a number of atheists who don't follow such reasoning... XKCD's forum board gives an amusing insight into what can be best described as a rejection of religion resulting in being a jerk.

Also, you have people like this.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:30:45 PM
Shaymin

My ethics are pretty simple. They involve swearing a lot. Or something.

:I

I don't really have any sort of philosophies and granted people may agree or disagree but I don't try to find a superior level of standing using my ethics as leverage.

The thing that tells me to do the right thing is other people's opinions of me. That said, I don't mind looking like a fool or an ass if I do something other people disapprove of.

My set of ethics come from life experiences. Basically I've learned that hell hath no fury like a woman even mildly upset and thus they should be respected accordingly, punching people out because you've got a problem with them is stupid, and people who don't swear have a huge ego.

See also
Old August 20, 2011, 05:30:49 AM
Rayquaza

Sorry for not being able to understand well, but is there a topic to debate about or are we supposed to list down our ethics and philosophy here?
Old August 20, 2011, 05:46:56 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Eh, I've known a number of atheists who don't follow such reasoning... XKCD's forum board gives an amusing insight into what can be best described as a rejection of religion resulting in being a jerk.

Also, you have people like this.
Ever heard of a vocal minority? Just because one person acts like that, don't just go and presume they are all like that. I know a few atheists who are really nice. It's like saying all gays are obnoxious and feminine. They aren't all like that.
Old August 20, 2011, 01:53:07 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Ever heard of a vocal minority? Just because one person acts like that, don't just go and presume they are all like that. I know a few atheists who are really nice. It's like saying all gays are obnoxious and feminine. They aren't all like that.
I never said otherwise.

Last edited by FreezeWarp; August 20, 2011 at 01:53:43 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 05:56:12 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
I never said otherwise.
...Pssht whatever. Well then it's to whoever who wants to post something saying that all atheists are mean and hateful.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:32:47 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
My ethics are pretty simple. They involve swearing a lot. Or something.

:I

I don't really have any sort of philosophies and granted people may agree or disagree but I don't try to find a superior level of standing using my ethics as leverage.

The thing that tells me to do the right thing is other people's opinions of me. That said, I don't mind looking like a fool or an ass if I do something other people disapprove of.

My set of ethics come from life experiences. Basically I've learned that hell hath no fury like a woman even mildly upset and thus they should be respected accordingly, punching people out because you've got a problem with them is stupid, and people who don't swear have a huge ego.

See also

xD I`m sure Lite was mildly referencing me, regarding the last paragraph, and if not then it was just an interesting coincidence based on his opinion of me.

Anyway, my ethics occasionally clash with those of others, as (at least some of) my ethics are based on what is fair. For example (and here`s another one Lite dislikes about me xD), if I female hits me, I don`t ethically have a problem with hitting her back in retaliation (granted, I`d give a warning to stop and only retaliate if it persisted, but still). This is because I dislike gender playing a part in morality, since I feel one should respond to the actions of others the same way irrespective of things (I find) as trivial as gender. While I don`t have a problem with chivalry, there really shouldn`t be much reason to be just as nice to everyone (though this is more of a gender issue-specific matter, so I won`t go to far lest I digress from the topic).

Regarding my ethics as a whole, I find that standing up for what one believes in is most important, though one should do it in a manner that shows respect for the beliefs of others as much as possible, as differing ideals often cause strife and conflict. Religion obviously also plays a role in determining one`s morality, and while practices involved can be taken as suggestions, I don`t feel that religion is always applicable or correct in regards to every different situation, and that people should think for themselves, instead of blindly following beliefs set forth by others for them.
Old September 1, 2011, 04:18:28 PM
Pikachu

Ethics are something that society has placed in us. I personally don't think that human beings are 'moral' creatures. We look after ourselves and our families in nature and thus, ethics do not exist outside of a society.

There are a species of ape in Asia, I believe, that howl whenever a Tiger approaches to warn nearby grazing dear. In return, the deer allow the monkey to feed on them, eating their ticks. This symbiotic nature is indeed a moral code that developed, but this is only because it's for the betterment of that 'society'.

Now whether you want to call a group of monkeys and deer a society is a different question, but they do it for their own self-benefit anyways. If the monkeys were 'moral' they'd protect the deer because it's right.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:29:43 PM
Regigigas

If ethics are society's way of determining what is right and what is wrong, then it is safe to assume that what you may consider ethical could be completely immoral to another, no matter how beneficial your ethics are.

Ethics are a set of self rules a person forms and develops as they continue on with their lives, using their experiences to form their own rules of life. Seeing ethics in this way shows that the ethics otf wo people may be similar due to the influence of society, but they are in no way identical. Your ethical rules are not completely the same as mine.