Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon X and Y
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 8, 2013, 02:18:51 PM
Rayquaza

Default The Graphics

So what do you guys think of the graphics so far?

Personally I'm really glad they decided to keep some of the 2-D animation by using cell animation.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:16:44 PM
Shaymin

I may not be big on the whole 3D animation kind of stuff to a series that has been relatively 2D it's whole series. But it does look good. And so far, it's not finalized so I'm assuming it'll look more polished.

Hopefully this whole 3D mess doesn't dwell into the other games 3D games being the realistic brown room simulator.

Then again, Nintendo has yet to cross that line. Which is why I still believe Nintendo has beautiful looking games.

Last edited by Fubab_107; January 8, 2013 at 03:16:51 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:45:35 PM
Giratina

So far the only thing I see wrong is how they made the trainers when walking around seem so stretched when looking up close. They look like pins... However, I LOVE the battling graphics. That X-Scissor that I presume it was, looked like a pretty sick animation!~
Old January 8, 2013, 04:59:14 PM
Charizard

I don't like how there's no idle animations in the overworld. Trainers look like standing corpses.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:02:35 PM

At first, I was a little indifferent toward the graphics since they looked a little odd to me, especially during the battle scenes. I might enjoy the graphics more when I actually get the game and have battles in 3D. The graphics are overall okay to me, but I think they can be a bit more polished. I haven't seen more footage of the game though, so my opinion will probably change in the future.

If I had to rate the graphics currently, I would give it a 7.5/10
Old January 8, 2013, 05:44:53 PM
Administrator

It looks very interesting. I hope to see more of it. Remember, we're also seeing videos on large displays when this is going to really be seen on a tiny 3DS screen.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:20:46 PM
Giratina

I think they look extravagant and I hope it's not false advertising like with Gen 5. Making me think every area was a Castelia City... still the whole thing was beautiful...
The entire video really reminds me of the Orre region from Colosseum and XD, and since XD ranks at #3 on my favorites list of all Pokémon games, I think this is gonna be one dynamite experience. Plus the fact that the graphics auto-improve with the 3D on. Cannot WAIT~

Last edited by TurtwigX; January 8, 2013 at 06:21:15 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:28:55 PM
Kyurem

The graphics does remind me of "What if Generation V were never for the DS in the first place". There are a lot of similarities between the style of V and VI - heck, you could say that it's just an evolution in graphics processing. You can definitely see the influence from Black and White, and especially Black 2 and White 2. This should also ensure that the graphics stay relatively consistent.

Also, have anyone compared the Bianca model in B2W2's starter selection scene to the protagonist models in XY?
Old January 8, 2013, 11:23:12 PM
Zoroark

Pokemon Colosseum Black and White.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:14:26 PM
Servine

All of what we've seen of the game is subject to change during the course of its development.

Just look at this prerelease picture of Castelia City from Black and White.

Compare it with this later shot.

You can see that a lot improved during the course of its development, even after its revelation to the public.

As for right now, the graphics in X/Y aren't the best I've seen; I think Game Freak's still trying to get the hang of the 3DS' hardware capabilities.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:44:24 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutsurf View Post
All of what we've seen of the game is subject to change during the course of its development.

Just look at this prerelease picture of Castelia City from Black and White.

Compare it with this later shot.

You can see that a lot improved during the course of its development, even after its revelation to the public.

As for right now, the graphics in X/Y aren't the best I've seen; I think Game Freak's still trying to get the hang of the 3DS' hardware capabilities.
It has improved to an error 403?
Old January 13, 2013, 04:05:54 PM

I have to refresh it at least once in order to get the picture to work.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:14:39 PM
Administrator

Is this the same pair of images? (The one on the right is newer.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiuncity-first.png
Views:	411
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	4379   Click image for larger version

Name:	BW_Prerelease_Castelia_City_3.png
Views:	416
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	4380  

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 13, 2013 at 09:16:58 PM.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:47:44 PM
Shaymin

Seriously needs a heavy dose of anti-aliasing and zooming out a ton like they're doing kinda ruins the addition of lines to everything. And as others have stated before, they seriously cannot just go with these new graphics but still use the same layout for routes and stuff. Tall grass and trainers look majorly out of place and just plain weird. The 3DS has a joystick, they can't say they have to stick to the old 4-way design because of the control pad too, they should actually craft a world and let you go at it. Obviously not as robust as Skyrim or something in the slightest, but something a bit more realistic. At least a bit of leading up to tall grass instead of just plopping it amongst very short floor grass. And the battles look okay, but having two spots and then just a plain boring void of nothingness between them looks awkward as hell, and the backgrounds need some livening up.

Overall the change is very appropriate and doesn't look like a bad transition from SNES to N64 or something, but a nice dose of tweaking before launch is needed.

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; January 16, 2013 at 09:52:19 PM.