Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Victory Road Gym League > Archived Gyms

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 4, 2010, 11:21:45 PM
Giratina

Default Gym League Support Thread

Do you have a question about the new Gym League system? Are you facing a problem with Pokémon (DISALLOWED)? Do you want something to be changed or modified? You're welcome to post all your suggestions and comments here!

Last edited by Shadow; September 12, 2011 at 07:57:41 AM.
Old March 5, 2010, 10:14:20 AM
Regigigas

So, I've read the rules... It sounds like we're doing this over Nintendo Wi-fi Connection through Pokémon DP/Pt+HG/SS. I hope not. Then I won't get all the fun...
Oh well, if that's how you're doing it, I won't be a stick in the mud and say that you can't because of me. Hope you have fun, everyone.
Old March 5, 2010, 10:36:15 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2257 View Post
So, I've read the rules... It sounds like we're doing this over Nintendo Wi-fi Connection through Pokémon DP/Pt+HG/SS. I hope not. Then I won't get all the fun...
Oh well, if that's how you're doing it, I won't be a stick in the mud and say that you can't because of me. Hope you have fun, everyone.
Well for gym leaders that have poke revolution, you can get a gym badge that way...or atleast in my gym i'll alow it~! I'll be one of the gym leaders and i'll be happy to hand over the badge...if ya can beat me that is~! =w=
Old March 5, 2010, 11:21:50 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2257 View Post
Well, you know we only do it through Pokémon D/P/Pt/HG/SS since they're the most common Pokémon games. However, if any gym leader allows for a match over PBR, I don't find a problem with it (as long as both of the members do have the game).
Old March 5, 2010, 11:43:45 AM
Rayquaza

I have two questions;

What time zone were you referring to for when we can apply?
Can we use less then six pokemon?
Old March 5, 2010, 11:51:51 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I have two questions;

What time zone were you referring to for when we can apply?
Can we use less then six pokemon?
1) GMT +4 is 9 hours ahead of EST, which, I reckon, is the time zone at Connecticut. Therefore, 9 PM (GMT +4) would be 12 noon for you.

2) You can use less than 3 Pokémon, but that would discourage several members from participating in your gym. Why? Because most people are used to playing with 6 Pokémon, so they have competitive teams of 6 members, not 3.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:12:59 PM
Shaymin

Just to make sure sign-ups for it start at 11:00 for me because, I am GMT -6?
Old March 5, 2010, 12:31:57 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxray13579 View Post
Just to make sure sign-ups for it start at 11:00 for me because, I am GMT -6?
Yes, sign-ups start at about 11:00 AM for you.
Old March 5, 2010, 05:17:27 PM
Kyurem

Are you, Cat, and Yoshi also going to be leaders? Or perhaps an Elite 4(3) of sorts?
Old March 6, 2010, 01:56:29 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Are you, Cat, and Yoshi also going to be leaders? Or perhaps an Elite 4(3) of sorts?
Yoshi, Cat and I can become gym leaders as well.
As to the Elite 4 part, the Elite 4 system has not been planned nor launched for the near future. We would like to initially start the current system successfully, then proceed to find new additions to it much later on.
Old March 7, 2010, 10:30:43 AM
Charizard

For the badges,
is there gonna be a badge case to display what we earned or something?
It would be nice to have...
Old March 7, 2010, 01:09:12 PM

Quick question for me:
Why is the Species clause in effect? I mean, even though this is Gym Leaders, some Elite 4 have doubles of the same Pokémon. Why can't we have it, but put a restriction on it, like only two of the same Pokémon?
Old March 7, 2010, 03:59:30 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
Quick question for me:
Why is the Species clause in effect? I mean, even though this is Gym Leaders, some Elite 4 have doubles of the same Pokémon. Why can't we have it, but put a restriction on it, like only two of the same Pokémon?
I think it makes sense, since it promotes diversity in Gym Leaders' Teams, and also makes it more difficult for challengers to sweep the team.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:36:43 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkmnmaster0603 View Post
For the badges,
is there gonna be a badge case to display what we earned or something?
It would be nice to have...
Well, the badges earned will be displayed in the "Awards" section of your profile. That's more or less the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
Quick question for me:
The Species clause is in effect because I've seen many of such teams:

Team 1
Blissey
Blissey
Blissey
Bronzong
Bronzong
Bronzong

Team 2
Blissey
Blissey
Blissey
Blissey
Celebi
Celebi

You have no clue how irritating those teams are, especially when you have Pokémon weak to them.
In addition to this reason, everything that Alakazamaster said is true.
Old March 8, 2010, 03:45:16 PM
Keldeo

Since these are gyms, just a though for the future, since in the game there are several trainers you have to beat to get to the gym leader mabye that could happen latter on.
Added:but limit it to the players who were previous leaders of the team possibly along with a limit of the number of people someone has to got through if this does come to pass
So say someone loses their gym instead of becoming a regular trianer you have to defeat them to get to the leader just like in all the games.

Last edited by GreenMan; March 8, 2010 at 10:56:26 PM. Reason: added information
Old March 8, 2010, 04:42:43 PM
Regigigas

I would like to make a request for a rule for all gym leaders: If a gym leader uses a pokemon that is not the type of their gym, said pokemon MUST know a move of said type. And no more than three of these pokemon. I don't want a "Electric" Gym being 2 electric types and a bunch of unrelated pokemon.
Old March 8, 2010, 04:56:05 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
I would like to make a request for a rule for all gym leaders: If a gym leader uses a pokemon that is not the type of their gym, said pokemon MUST know a move of said type. And no more than three of these pokemon. I don't want a "Electric" Gym being 2 electric types and a bunch of unrelated pokemon.
AW CRUD, I would like this rule better if ---------- actually LEARNED a Flying-type move... *sigh* All in all though, it does make alot of sense.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:22:15 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
AW CRUD, I would like this rule better if ---------- actually LEARNED a Flying-type move... *sigh* All in all though, it does make alot of sense.
Really, Kazam, you shouldn't have to deviate from your type at all. Flying is such a diverse type that you could easily make a team based solely on it.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:06:22 PM
Shaymin

By the way, Ala, you gave away Gyarados as one of the members of your team. It learns Bounce, though. That's a Flying type move.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:30:18 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
By the way, Ala, you gave away Gyarados as one of the members of your team. It learns Bounce, though. That's a Flying type move.
Ah, but that's not what I meant. I didn't say every pokemon should have to know a move of the type. I said any pokemon NOT OF THE GYM'S TYPE must know a move of the type. Therefore Gyrados would be fine with or without bounce.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:54:26 PM
Keldeo

From that rule it might cut off some of the other avialbe pokemon to help the team out. I don't see what the problem is if its one or two but only allowing 'diffrent' types to be part of the team because they can learn a move of that type for the gym seems little strange. I mean rock and ground go hand in hand ie Brocks Gym, and i figure that bug and grass are the same though i'm not sure if there is any bug types in a grass gym that weren't grass also
Old March 11, 2010, 06:54:22 PM
Regigigas

Question: Can gym leader challenge each other for badges? You know, to get everyone else's?
Old March 13, 2010, 03:01:11 AM
Giratina

Quote:
I disagree with this. If I have, let's say, 3 Electric-type Pokémon, I need other members to cover for my Ground weakness. Several Ground-type Pokémon cannot learn Electric attacks. Moreover, sometimes I would need a member as a wall or to lay hazards, and not as an attacker.
So, in conclusion, the 'cover' Pokémon have to be:
1) Covering your type's weakness.
AND/OR
2) Acting as a wall.
AND/OR
3) Laying hazards.
AND/OR
4) Having a move of your type.

Quote:
Question: Can gym leader challenge each other for badges? You know, to get everyone else's?
They can, but they will not receives badges, and the results are not posted in the gym leader's thread. Take it as an unofficial, friendly match. (It's up to both of them if they want to give out prize Pokémon/item or not)

Last edited by Shadow; March 13, 2010 at 04:18:57 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:28:19 AM
Volcarona

I'll post this here as well.
I'd like to see a rule in place where said challenger must use the same team for every gym. Not only would it test their ability to cover all types, but it would prevent teams built against the gym leader. I know there's the not all your pokemon types can go against the gym type, but you have move types as well. And abilities can hinder it as well. Ex: going up against the ground gym with 2 flyers and 4 levitators of different, non-super-effective-against-ground types.

Last edited by Flare Soru; March 13, 2010 at 09:29:04 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 11:08:04 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I disagree with this. If I have, let's say, 3 Electric-type Pokémon, I need other members to cover for my Ground weakness. Several Ground-type Pokémon cannot learn Electric attacks. Moreover, sometimes I would need a member as a wall or to lay hazards, and not as an attacker.
So, in conclusion, the 'cover' Pokémon have to be:
AND/OR
2) Acting as a wall.
AND/OR
3) Laying hazards.
AND/OR
I still think it kills the spirit of making TYPE gyms to include pokemon in no way associated with the type. Also, I agree with Flare's challenger idea.
Old March 13, 2010, 11:32:12 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Really, Kazam, you shouldn't have to deviate from your type at all. Flying is such a diverse type that you could easily make a team based solely on it.
I realize that the type is diverse, but most Flying-types share common weaknesses to the same moves. Thus, I could easily be swept by a fast sweeper that could BoltBeam me into oblivion.

Quote:
Not quite. I was referring to a non-flying type that learns no Flying moves.

Sorry for the late response :/

Last edited by Alakazamaster; March 13, 2010 at 11:32:30 AM.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:04:08 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare View Post
I'll post this here as well.
I'd like to see a rule in place where said challenger must use the same team for every gym. Not only would it test their ability to cover all types, but it would prevent teams built against the gym leader. I know there's the not all your pokemon types can go against the gym type, but you have move types as well. And abilities can hinder it as well. Ex: going up against the ground gym with 2 flyers and 4 levitators of different, non-super-effective-against-ground types.
This rule was actually included in the guide's draft, but was removed later on. I might state this rule again in the guide and make it official, but I'd like to add a small twist to it: you are only able to change one member of your team after 5 (or whatever number) gym battles. Other minor changes, like moves, can be done anytime the member pleases, as long as he doesn't do it too much, or to completely counter the next gym leader.

The reason why I'd like this modification is because improvement to one's team is an essential part in developing his critical thinking. It is also fair for both ends of the spectrum: the gym leader and the member.

What do you guys think? Should we implement this rule? If yes, then should we put a limit to it? (Example: Once a member defeats 5 gyms, he is allowed to change only 1 member of his team, etc)

Quote:
I still think it kills the spirit of making TYPE gyms to include pokemon in no way associated with the type. Also, I agree with Flare's challenger idea.
If you insist, you don't have to include any cover Pokémon. It depends on the gym leader's preference and need - we can't force everyone to do that.

Last edited by Shadow; March 14, 2010 at 07:37:35 AM.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:30:10 AM
Servine

I have a few questions:

1) I´ve read the rules and I didn´t find a rule that disables having other type than the Gym´s type. Does that mean leaders CAN use other completely other types too? (If it was that "covering your type´s weaknesses"-stuff, I might have misunderstood that. In that case I´m sorry to bother you.)

2) Are you supposed to be able to connect directly to internet from DS (not always having battles in PBR, that means)?
Old March 14, 2010, 07:34:15 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loechai View Post
I have a few questions:

1) I´ve read the rules and I didn´t find a rule that disables having other type than the Gym´s type. Does that mean leaders CAN use other completely other types too? (If it was that "covering your type´s weaknesses"-stuff, I might have misunderstood that. In that case I´m sorry to bother you.)

2) Are you supposed to be able to connect directly to internet from DS (not always having battles in PBR, that means)?
1) Indeed you have misunderstood it. Just in case, here's the role of those supporting Pokémon:

Quote:
The 'cover' Pokémon have to be:
AND/OR
2) Acting as a wall.
AND/OR
3) Laying hazards.
AND/OR
2) You can have the battles either on the DS and/or on PBR. It depends on your personal preference.

Last edited by Shadow; March 14, 2010 at 07:35:11 AM.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:21:59 AM
Servine

Of course! Now that all came clear.

I thought all leader´s Pokémon had to be Gym´s type.

Then I´d like to do some changes in my team...
Old March 18, 2010, 01:48:53 PM
Charizard

If we challenged and beat a gym leader, do we have to use the same team for ALL the other gym leaders? For me, I'd only switch out one pkmn per battle depending on the type of leader.....
Old March 18, 2010, 05:20:29 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
I agree, but would like add on a tiny bit... abilitys that give you benefits of a type need to allow you to use it as well.

Examples:

Sand stream - rock (for hippopatas/hippowdon)
Levitate - flying (under certain conditions, aka flygon/lati@s/Anything-that-actually-flys)
synchronize - psychic
Forecast - Fire/Water/Ice
Sand Veil - Rock/Ground
Huge Power - Fighting
effect spore - Poison
Poison Heal - Poison
etc.

In other words, an ability should be able to substitute a move, if it directly correlates to a type.

Last edited by Serenade; March 18, 2010 at 05:24:02 PM.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:26:31 PM
Keldeo

What can I do with the normal type? :V
I mean, there ain't much that resembles normal other then normal type itself. =p
Old March 18, 2010, 05:29:45 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
What can I do with the normal type? :V
I mean, there ain't much that resembles normal other then normal type itself. =p
Well, there are exceptions to everything, right?

Rivalry...? It kind of fits it, if we allow abillitys...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi..._%28ability%29

Besides, normal is so diverse that you really don't need anything else besides it.

Last edited by Serenade; March 18, 2010 at 05:31:19 PM.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:58:39 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
Well, there are exceptions to everything, right?

Rivalry...? It kind of fits it, if we allow abillitys...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi..._%28ability%29

Besides, normal is so diverse that you really don't need anything else besides it.
Very true. =p Normal has everything. Blissey, porygon z, snorlax and half the flying type kingdom. =w= I kinda wanted a ghost type to throw in though to wall close combat spam. D:
Old March 18, 2010, 10:37:03 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkmnmaster0603 View Post
If we challenged and beat a gym leader, do we have to use the same team for ALL the other gym leaders? For me, I'd only switch out one pkmn per battle depending on the type of leader.....
I think I'll do this: You are allowed to change one member of your team after beating 3 or 4 gym leaders. I'll decide later, then announce the rule.

Quote:
I kinda wanted a ghost type to throw in though to wall close combat spam. D:
No one said you can't. Actually, it's recommended that you add a Ghost-type Pokémon to your Normal team to protect yourself from Fight-type moves. However, like I said, don't overdo the support Pokémon.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:46:24 PM
Regigigas

Being a dark gym, I also need to counter close combat. I've got quite a few tricks planned.

Last edited by Sableyed; March 18, 2010 at 10:47:11 PM.
Old March 19, 2010, 01:35:39 AM
Volcarona

I think that I may have seen a folly in this.
-What if the gym leaders take too long to build a team? Then how do we beat them all?
Old March 19, 2010, 01:37:20 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
-What if the gym leaders take too long to build a team? Then how do we beat them all?
A subsitute will fill the gym leaders place if they take a month or longer to make there team. If they fail to find a subsitute I think there stripped of there gym leader position. =w=
Old March 19, 2010, 02:43:48 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Quote:
A subsitute will fill the gym leaders place if they take a month or longer to make there team. If they fail to find a subsitute I think there stripped of there gym leader position. =w=
Now we can clearly see who's aware of the GL guide and the thread in the "Announcements" section.
Good job, Sunny.

Last edited by Shadow; March 19, 2010 at 02:44:30 AM.
Old March 19, 2010, 09:22:05 PM
Regigigas

How long do we have? I should be ready the week after Easter.
Old March 20, 2010, 06:59:56 AM
Giratina

Quote:
How long do we have? I should be ready the week after Easter.
You have until April 7th to get everything up and running.
Old March 20, 2010, 09:06:50 PM
Giratina

One good question.
Can you be like Gym Leader Blue, and have an anytype gym? I'm not that good with theming.

Last edited by TurtwigX; March 20, 2010 at 09:08:07 PM.
Old March 20, 2010, 09:18:35 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
One good question.
Can you be like Gym Leader Blue, and have an anytype gym? I'm not that good with theming.
This question made me think of something. We don't have a champion. shouldn't the champ be like this? =p I think instead of replacing one of the gym leaders if they beat all of them, they should become the champion instead and use whatever pokes they want. y/y? =w=
Old March 21, 2010, 01:36:23 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
One good question.
No, gym leaders have to be themed.
*Look at my comment below*

Quote:
This question made me think of something. We don't have a champion. shouldn't the champ be like this? =p I think instead of replacing one of the gym leaders if they beat all of them, they should become the champion instead and use whatever pokes they want. y/y? =w=
Hmmm... This is a good idea. I'll take it into consideration.
Old March 21, 2010, 10:29:25 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Now we can clearly see who's aware of the GL guide and the thread in the "Announcements" section.
Good job, Sunny.
I tried to find it in there first actually, but perhaps I did not look hard enough...
Old March 22, 2010, 01:24:24 PM
Regigigas

@ Pkmnmaster0603 That question was already covered, seems Shadow`s considering it for an official rule with allowance for Pokemon to be switched out after every certain number of battles.

@ Shadow: Sounds like an interesting idea, but the way it somewhat "limits" at team, it feels more like a rule to use in a tournament, where it`s a one-time sort of thing. Like for example, if there was a VR Gym League "Tournament" for the month of March, people would be able to challenge Gym Leaders, with said rule in effect, the one with the most at the end of the month wins.

Where as the regular Gym League rules call for seperate battles, and some battles being completely optional, making this rule (in my opinion) feel too limiting to make each battle somewhat unique. I don`t disagree with the idea,
I`m just saying that the applications of it could be both beneficial and hindering. Then again, it other people may have various views on it, so it`s probably wiser for me to just wait and see what other opinions come up xD
Old March 23, 2010, 08:39:42 PM
Keldeo

Aww excuse me, but are gym leaders allowed to get other gym leaders badges?
=w=
Old March 23, 2010, 11:53:29 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraKshatriya View Post
@ Shadow: Sounds like an interesting idea, but the way it somewhat "limits" at team, it feels more like a rule to use in a tournament, where it`s a one-time sort of thing. Like for example, if there was a VR Gym League "Tournament" for the month of March, people would be able to challenge Gym Leaders, with said rule in effect, the one with the most at the end of the month wins.

Where as the regular Gym League rules call for seperate battles, and some battles being completely optional, making this rule (in my opinion) feel too limiting to make each battle somewhat unique. I don`t disagree with the idea,
I`m just saying that the applications of it could be both beneficial and hindering. Then again, it other people may have various views on it, so it`s probably wiser for me to just wait and see what other opinions come up xD
So, what is your final opinion on the implementation of the rule? (leaving all the tournament talk aside)

Quote:
Aww excuse me, but are gym leaders allowed to get other gym leaders badges?
=w=
For the time being, no. As stated before, they can only have friendly, unofficial battles.
(You will know why this is set later on)
Old March 24, 2010, 01:53:36 PM
Keldeo

I'd like to be filled in through PM if you will. This was my idea in this forum atleast, so I wish to be apart of it~! =p
Old April 4, 2010, 05:33:48 PM
Giratina

Is there going to be an elite four?
Or even an elite any number?

If so, how will the people for the elite four be determined?
Old April 5, 2010, 09:56:38 AM
Giratina

I'd like to hold that off for a while. *wink* *wink*
But relax and enjoy the current system. I already have 2 'extension' plans for it, but I'll need more activity in the gyms first.
Old April 5, 2010, 10:17:37 AM
Keldeo

Ahem. I've submitted ideas for the elite four and champions too. Im tired of not getting credit. Shadow, this gym league idea was submitted by me first, along with how it will work, how gym leaders will be chosen via the tournament ect, ect. Im tired of not knowing what your thinking. Please share it with me via pm.
Old April 5, 2010, 10:25:07 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Ahem. I've submitted ideas for the elite four and champions too. Im tired of not getting credit. Shadow, this gym league idea was submitted by me first, along with how it will work, how gym leaders will be chosen via the tournament ect, ect. Im tired of not knowing what your thinking. Please share it with me via pm.
Okay, firstly, I did give you credit for mentioning the idea before I came.

Secondly, there's a difference between submitting an idea, and executing it.

Thirdly, I never said I wouldn't want to discuss the future plans with you. Since I won't be releasing any sort of extension to the system until a bit later, we have plenty of time to work out our next idea.
Old April 5, 2010, 10:54:32 AM
Keldeo

I did more then just mention the league. I've been with cat this whole way through, developing the league from scratch. You give ideas too, but your also the one to submit them too the public. Thats why im kinda envious of everyone giving you the questions instead of cat or me. Also I did, ask you to PM me before in a post only 5 comments back in this thread. You never replied back to share ideas or tell me whats going on. I was left in the dark. .-.

Cat has executed everything.

Everything thought of from you and me was given to cat, not too each other. It can't continue like that.
Old April 8, 2010, 06:19:02 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I did more then just mention the league. I've been with cat this whole way through, developing the league from scratch. You give ideas too, but your also the one to submit them too the public. Thats why im kinda envious of everyone giving you the questions instead of cat or me. Also I did, ask you to PM me before in a post only 5 comments back in this thread. You never replied back to share ideas or tell me whats going on. I was left in the dark. .-.

Cat has executed everything.

Everything thought of from you and me was given to cat, not too each other. It can't continue like that.
Sunny, this is turning ridiculous in front of the members. Why don't you discuss this in the Mod Chat Thread? There, we can all discuss the whole thing normally.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:01:39 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
Sunny, this is turning ridiculous in front of the members. Why don't you discuss this in the Mod Chat Thread? There, we can all discuss the whole thing normally.
And this implies that you are better than 'The Members'? That you are above us simply because you are an admin or a mod? I'd like to know whats going on too, along with us 'members', who make forums move along. It really doesn't matter if you are an admin or a mod, or a 'member'. You must understand that you too are a 'member' here, and that even though you are able to lock my threads, and apply rules for your own personal reasons, it doesn't mean that you should consider yourself above us, or keep information from 'the members'.

I must say, that you in general disgust me, along with the idea of a 'Mod' chat thread. Anyone can have ideas, not just 'Mod's.

Last edited by Serenade; April 10, 2010 at 09:03:10 PM.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:11:26 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
And this implies that you are better than 'The Members'? That you are above us simply because you are an admin or a mod? I'd like to know whats going on too, along with us 'members', who make forums move along. It really doesn't matter if you are an admin or a mod, or a 'member'. You must understand that you too are a 'member' here, and that even though you are able to lock my threads, and apply rules for your own personal reasons, it doesn't mean that you should consider yourself above us, or keep information from 'the members'.

I must say, that you in general disgust me, along with the idea of a 'Mod' chat thread. Anyone can have ideas, not just 'Mod's.
that was........random. O.o
Old April 10, 2010, 09:58:42 PM
Shaymin

Woah, woah, this is getting a bit out of hand, here.

Okay, first things first.

Shadow, Sunny has been involved in a bit of this from the beginning, so maybe if he wants to be let in on some information, let him.

Sunny, it's great that you're trying to talk to Shadow about ideas, but in this circumstance, where it's begun to escalate (or at least I can see it evolving into something else), discuss it through PMs.

Spirit, there's not really much to discuss even in the Mod board. You could've taken it to PMs too.

Serenade, you misunderstood a bit. Moderators have a special board only certain people with permissions access where we discuss forum ideas.

Guys, just chill a bit. Please? Thanks.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:13:36 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Shadow, Sunny has been involved in a bit of this from the beginning, so maybe if he wants to be let in on some information, let him.
Well, I never refused to discuss ideas with Sunny, so that should wipe away any possible ideas of us being in dispute.

Now, I'd like to request everyone not to turn this into a thread for fighting with each other, but to keep it for what it's supposed to be. If you have any problems with other members, please solve them through PMs/VMs/whatever.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:53:45 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Well, I never refused to discuss ideas with Sunny, so that should wipe away any possible ideas of us being in dispute.

Now, I'd like to request everyone not to turn this into a thread for fighting with each other, but to keep it for what it's supposed to be. If you have any problems with other members, please solve them through PMs/VMs/whatever.
Yes, let's. If any more issues are laid out in public they'll become flames after a certain interval, so any more of it from -anyone- and it's infractions/bans.
Old April 11, 2010, 05:41:07 PM
Regigigas

@ Shadow I think the rule is easily implementable, but perhaps you should change it to every 3 battles. Given that there are 17 Gym Leaders, this would giive participants to eventually re-create their team if they`ve though of a more efficient overhaul. Of course, since they can modify teams over a rather extended period of time, it`s still important to make sure they don`t end up making an "Invincible Team" to battle a specific Gym Leader with in the process.
Old April 15, 2010, 09:47:17 PM
Administrator

Alright, I believe it's time for me to step in on this. Both Sunny and Shadow discussed various ideas regarding the Gym League to me, both in private and with others. I think arguing about this is pointless. You both worked on it, sharing ideas, regardless of whether or not you knew how much the other put in. The least you could do is work together.
Old April 17, 2010, 05:44:06 PM
Servine

How do you become a gym leader?
Old April 17, 2010, 07:49:49 PM
Zoroark

You have to apply. All the types are taken currently so no one can become gym leader now unless someone drops out. Before you apply, I suggest reading about EVs and IVs. Another thing is that you have to have wi-fi.
Old April 18, 2010, 08:36:07 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokewalker1205 View Post
How do you become a gym leader?
It is posts like this which make me feel like I've wasted tons of time and effort in writing this guide in so much detail :/

Last edited by Shadow; April 18, 2010 at 08:36:28 AM.
Old April 25, 2010, 02:07:07 PM
Zoroark

I have a question, i mentioned in the application thread that if the Ice gym postion becomes available i would like the job. I was looking at the gym and he seems to have played to games as of yet, has he just not updated or inactive? It was back in March he posted, it's May soon. I really enjoy playing my Ice team and would love to have a go at the gym leader position.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:49:56 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
I have a question, i mentioned in the application thread that if the Ice gym postion becomes available i would like the job. I was looking at the gym and he seems to have played to games as of yet, has he just not updated or inactive? It was back in March he posted, it's May soon. I really enjoy playing my Ice team and would love to have a go at the gym leader position.
I have sent the Ice-type gym leader a message discussing the issue with him. However, you have to understand that I cannot grant you the position if he still wants to run the gym after making it more active.
Old April 26, 2010, 09:32:22 AM
Zoroark

Yeah i understand that, just really want to be part of the gym system. So i thought i'd better ask.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:29:33 AM
Magikarp

you should have at least 3 gym leaders for each gym,in case one dosent show up you'll have two replacements to keep the gyms running all the time
Old May 16, 2010, 05:45:40 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmulisha View Post
you should have at least 3 gym leaders for each gym,in case one dosent show up you'll have two replacements to keep the gyms running all the time
There can be substitutes for gym leaders. You just have to be the winner of 2 Tournaments in this forum.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:42:32 AM
Giratina

The ground type gym. Is inactive, and has been for a couple of months. What gives?
Old May 16, 2010, 12:06:53 PM
Shaymin

It's not inactivate, just nobody's posting in it.
I think since it's at the bottom nobody sees it.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:46:37 AM
Giratina

I'll be working on the VRGL primarily to make it even better and more attractive. List of things that I plan to do:

-Proper implementation of the gym system (close contact with Cat needed)
-Elimination of inactive gyms (suggestions from specific people, whom I intend to contact, needed)
-Electing assistant helpers for the system.

I have other, big projects in mind, but I will keep them secret for now. Further discussions need to take place before anything is executed.

Last edited by Shadow; June 8, 2010 at 08:47:07 AM.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:15:35 PM
Kyurem

I have 2 question. First, why is Celebi, Jirachi, and Phione are not ubers? Second, will gym leaders allow players to use Black and White from Japan for a gym battle?
Old August 10, 2010, 12:49:30 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblast64 View Post
I have 2 question. First, why is Celebi, Jirachi, and Phione are not ubers? Second, will gym leaders allow players to use Black and White from Japan for a gym battle?
Because all 3 of those have counters that are very common in the OU metagame.
Jirachi may resist a ton of stuff, but its weakness to both fire and ground are both very commonly used attack types in the metagame. Jirachi is incredibly versatile but all of its sets have counters, infernape I think can counter all of his sets fairly well.

Celebi has one of the worst typings in the game. Grass psychic just nerfs his walling abilitys so much. Celebis versatile as well, but thats all jirachi and celebi are. There jacks of all trades, but nothing they do is so good that its ban worthy.

Phione is just horrible. xD All its base stats are 80, and its movepool is very limited. Its still usable but its not a big enough threat to be too concerned about.

As it currently stands right now black and white cannot be used to battle gym leaders, because not enough information is known about its wifi yet. I highly doubt black/white will be compatible with platinum/Diamond/pearl. If a gym leader does have black and white and allows the use of it, then yes it can be used.

Last edited by Sunny; August 10, 2010 at 12:51:45 PM.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:41:34 PM
Kyurem

There should be a couple more gyms so challenger have more to pick from. Why isn't there a gym for every type?
Old August 10, 2010, 05:46:12 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
There should be a couple more gyms so challenger have more to pick from. Why isn't there a gym for every type?
We used to, but most were inactive, or unnoticed so we lowered it to 10.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:50:14 PM
Kyurem

I was think of add two more because four is closed.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:12:55 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
I was think of add two more because four is closed.
If 4 are closed, then you have 6 to battle. Im sure the gym league will eventually PM inactive gym leaders about their extended period of time of their gym being closed sometime.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:21:32 PM
Kyurem

Well I want to become a gym leader because it seem cool.

Last edited by Aquablast; August 11, 2010 at 08:06:59 AM.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:30:51 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Well I want to become a gym leader because it seem cool. I can only battle 5 because Lite banned me because I ask him to reopen his gym.
Not because you asked, but because you were being annoying ABOUT asking me. If a gym's temporarily closed it'd be good for you to be patient and wait for the gyms to open.
Old August 10, 2010, 10:17:15 PM
Kyurem

As for now the we have decided to keep the current 10 Gyms. If any leaders drop down for any reason, then the Gym will be open to a new leader. However, until that day comes there will be no more gyms or leaders.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:37:57 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
The simplest answer for the first question is that we follow Smogon rules. What Smogon says, is followed here. I also like to ask you not to discuss B/W now, as no current information about WiFi battles are revealed.

I am also getting annoyed now with you . Lite has banned you for a reason. Stop discussing it everywhere. A gym leader has the right to ban any challenger when a good reason is given, and he actually gave one.

Regarding that 4 gyms are closed, I discussed it with Shadow, and we agreed to wait until the summer vacation is over, and then we can see about the gyms. Some gym leaders are on a vacation, so we must wait for them, and when they come back, we will see if they are going to open their gyms and when. All the GL staff agreed to keep the total number of gyms as 10 for reasons. When there are 17 gyms, there will be few challengers. With 10 gyms, there are more challengers. That's one of them. I would also like to ask you not to keep asking for becoming a gym leader. There are rules in this gym league, so please follow it. Applying for becoming a gym leader is currently closed. We will inform everyone if application to becoming a gym leader is open. Don't worry.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; August 11, 2010 at 01:38:14 AM.
Old August 11, 2010, 05:13:59 AM
Kyurem

I thought those Pokemon should be banned because they were banned in Pokemon World Championship.

Last edited by Aquablast; August 11, 2010 at 08:15:43 AM.
Old August 11, 2010, 05:29:48 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I do own a gym on my site and only got 1 challenger and I want to be a gym leader who have lot of challenger so it will be better. I thought those Pokemon should be banned because they were banned in Pokemon World Championship.
Check this thread. There is a reason for it to be closed. The reason is that no applications are taken now! Alkazamaster already told you that for the time being, there is no change in the gym league system. I also informed you with that.

As I told you before, we follow Smogon, only.
Old August 11, 2010, 04:30:26 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I thought those Pokemon should be banned because they were banned in Pokemon World Championship.
That would be like saying...
Spoiler Alert:    
Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Wobbufett, Wynaut, Garchomp, Salamence
should be legal because they were legal in Pokemon World Championship.

Like what spirit said, we follow smogon rules here. In fact, if you need the rules of standard competitive battling, thread is here
Old August 12, 2010, 09:29:32 PM
Volcarona

Just a heads up, Shoddy battle is good and all, but it is inaccurate PRNG wise- the chances for crits, misses, hits, the length of sleep, etc. etc. is off by quite a bit- I've tested it myself. If you want to, use it..

For that matter, all of these "online battle simulators" are not exactly the same as DS battling, as you simply type in the IVs, which, IMO we might as well just allow hacks. I breed/reset for IVs, and it gives an advantage to whoever tried hardest, as I know that others teams that haven't spent time on it have randomly good and bad IVs, which are suddenly made perfect by these programs. I guess you could put your IVs into the program, but hey, who can really check to make sure you don't cheat, right? I'd personally at least make sure DS battle is available, instead of, Pokemon (DISALLOWED) battles for all

Last edited by Serenade; August 13, 2010 at 03:50:09 AM.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:53:35 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Just a heads up, Shoddy battle is good and all, but it is inaccurate PRNG wise- the chances for crits, misses, hits, the length of sleep, etc. etc. is off by quite a bit- I've tested it myself. If you want to, use it..

For that matter, all of these "online battle simulators" are not exactly the same as DS battling, as you simply type in the IVs, which, IMO we might as well just allow hacks. I breed/reset for IVs, and it gives an advantage to whoever tried hardest, as I know that others teams that haven't spent time on it have randomly good and bad IVs, which are suddenly made perfect by these programs. I guess you could put your IVs into the program, but hey, who can really check to make sure you don't cheat, right? I'd personally at least make sure DS battle is available, instead of, Pokemon (DISALLOWED) battles for all
As a matter of fact, online simulators are used along with DS battles in our gym league system. We have included the most popular simulators to the list so that most of the people can battle the gym leaders. Shoddy Battle might be inaccurate (never confirmed), but there are people who prefers it, and as long as the gym leader and his challenger are all right with using Shoddy Battle, then I find no problem. I also understand, and obviously, agree with what you said regarding the IV spread of the Pokémon. Now there are two ways of navigating that; one is to put the exact IV of the team to the simulator, which is kinda hard for many obvious reasons. The other way is to have both the gym leader and the challenger using perfect IV set to their teams. Personally, I find the later easier, and fair. It might be hard to make a perfect team in an actual game, and that's why we introduced the simulators. We want it to be easy for others to challenge the gym leaders without putting much effort.
Old August 13, 2010, 01:05:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
We want it to be easy for others to challenge the gym leaders without putting much effort.
In other words, we want people to be lazy about their teams and challenge gym leaders regardless.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:37:30 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Sunny and The Spirit of Time answered the first question perfectly, so I do not need to reply to it.
As for the second part, I'd strongly recommend gym leaders not to allow battles using the Japanese B/W because of multiple reasons:
-As Spirit said, little information is known about the games competitive-wise, and so we are still unaware of any major changes to the metagame.
-I am certain that the changes to some abilities (like Sturdy) and to some moves (like Growth) will give an advantage to the player of B/W, which is unfair.
-There's no confirmation yet as to whether B/W will be directly compatible with D/P/Pt/HG/SS or not.

Quote:
As stated by a couple of members, when we had 17 gyms, many of them were inactive and just cluttered the Gym League uselessly. Therefore, it has been conclusively decided that the number of gyms should be reduced to 10.

Quote:

I don't know if gym leaders are aware of this or not, but the inclusion of DS bttles in the gym is obligatory, unless their Wi-fi is not working or their team is not available on the DS. Online simulators, on the other hand, are optional, and were added for 2 major reasons: to allow people who do not have Wi-fi to participate in the Gym League (which is pretty thoughtful), and to create/change competitive teams in an easier way, which can also be considered lazy, however way you want to take it. Our ultimate want is to increase the activity in the Gym League, and by allowing the usage of simulators, we have already achieved that.
As for the IV issue, the fairest way to settle this is for both players to input perfect IVs into all of their team members. To be honest, even with doing this, standard DS battles remain the fairest way for having a battle because everyone receives according to his/her personal effort. If you do not wish to use a simulator, then you can request the gym leader to have a standard battle, and I'm sure no one will refuse (as long as they do not have one of the excuses I mentioned earlier).

Last edited by Shadow; August 14, 2010 at 11:58:56 AM.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:53:39 PM
Kyurem

OMGITSJAD said hes to lazy to ev pokemon on the DS, and i cant download pokemon (DISALLOWED) cause my step dad wont let me download any online games to the computers here at my house, so i cant battle his gym unless he eved some pokemon on his DS.

Last edited by kakashidragon; August 14, 2010 at 08:54:03 PM.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:45:53 AM
Volcarona

Why is Latias an uber, even without the soul dew?

Last edited by Serenade; August 15, 2010 at 01:48:26 AM.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:04:51 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Ask Smogon, not us. :I
Old August 15, 2010, 02:10:16 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
OMGITSJAD said hes to lazy to ev pokemon on the DS, and i cant download pokemon (DISALLOWED) cause my step dad wont let me download any online games to the computers here at my house, so i cant battle his gym unless he eved some pokemon on his DS.
I reply to you after few discussions. We will see about it, although I advice you to find a way of downloading it, as it is more useful and easier.

Quote:
Just what Jad said.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:33:55 PM
Kyurem

Nvm about the dang gym then i might never battle him, so i'll just battle the other gyms for now.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:43:52 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
Ask Smogon, not us. :I
Are we smogon?
Old August 15, 2010, 02:46:56 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Are we smogon?
http://www.smogon.com/
http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber
Old August 15, 2010, 07:33:40 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Are we smogon?
No, but when it comes to competitively battling nearly everyone follows Smogon's tiers, including us.
Old August 16, 2010, 06:39:19 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Ok I think I can answer that, thanks to some experience against my friend.

Latias, despite the fact has slightly less attack/sp. attack power than it's counter-part Latios, can easily be a major threat to any Pokemon in the OU tier thanks to it's high Sp. attack and Sp. defense.

The biggest thing you have to worry about in a Latias is it using Calm Mind, and that is what my friends would always use - Calm minding Latias.

With this very common set, people could easily set up a sweeper that can out speed almost every counter in OU and de-wall anything.

I think that's why Latias is Uber, I could be wrong of course, but this is my guess.