Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old October 8, 2012, 10:39:32 AM
Volcarona

Default PETA turns its attention towards Pokémon

PETA, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, have pointed their fingers at Pokémon. With this comes a parody game, similar to what they did when they were attacking Super Mario 3D Land's Tanooki Suit. There is a screenshot of the game here. The game itself can be played here. (Very NSFW, you have been warned)
Old October 8, 2012, 11:11:20 AM
Giratina

PETA... *sigh*. PETA, do you know the meaning of "fantasy" and "adventure" and even the phrase "video game"? When you put them all together, it essentially means "this never happened and will never happen." Were you all brainwashed as kids so you think any sort of human interaction with animals is the worst sin imaginable and therefore no man should ever dare touch an animal without special permission from you, PETA?

But how could PETA have missed the obvious spin-off of themselves in Pokémon Black and White? Team Plasma is essentially the Pokémon world's PETA, where TP is trying to get everyone never to interact with Pokémon while they hypocritically break their own cardinal rule of never interacting with Pokémon.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:11:42 AM
Volcarona

Why don't we see these people going after professional boxing? I don't watch the anime, but I know that the plot antagonizes people that abuse pokemon, as does the game itself. I guess that's not good enough, huh?
Old October 8, 2012, 11:17:47 AM
Volcarona

Now that I am allowed to voice my opinion here, I will. PETA has gone after all the wrong ideals. It's a wonder they are still around. Can't they learn to go after issues that actually happen in reality and stop living in a fantasy world?
Old October 8, 2012, 11:19:07 AM
Kyurem

When someone posted images of this wretched "parody" on some other forum without warning, I found myself in severe need of brain bleach and Zorua time. There are some things that should never existed in the fisrt place, and this is definitely one of them. Nightmares, huh?
Old October 8, 2012, 11:20:24 AM
Kyurem

It's a known fact by this point that PETA is just hopeless with this kinda stuff. I wouldn't really expect any less from them. Anyone remember the whole SM3DL debacle?

Last edited by NismoZ; October 8, 2012 at 11:20:50 AM.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:44:54 AM
Administrator

PETA cares more about publicity stunts (such as this) then actually doing stuff to save animals (Fact: They euthanize more animals then they "set out" to save)
Old October 8, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
Volcarona

I am both horrified and amused by that spin-off of Pokémon Black and White. Seeing Cheren covered in blood was bad***. I kinda loved every second of it. x3

Still, I don't know much about PETA, but I find this whole conflict totally fascinating. I guess that spin-off really caught my attention.

Last edited by GalliumGrant; October 8, 2012 at 12:08:55 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:01:41 PM
Shaymin

Everyone has already said what I was going to say, so I only have 1 thing on my mind.

What took them so long?
Old October 8, 2012, 02:22:55 PM
Kyurem

I was more traumatized by the videos of animals being abused.

WHAT KIND OF A PRIZE IS THAT
Old October 8, 2012, 02:37:34 PM
Zoroark

Let them do what they want. No one takes them seriously. I myself am a member of PETA. Not that sissy group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals has a lot more pull then the first one.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:01:02 PM
Celebi

Well, I actually played it after I heard about it this afternoon
that game assaulted my eyes...
PETA...You Dun Goofed, Again
Old October 8, 2012, 03:07:17 PM
Regigigas

Here's a short list of questions and opinions I have about this;
  • How did PETA even get the rights to make a game like this?
  • If you actually play the game, they get a lot of details wrong. (One of them; Ash's Pikachu doesn't even have a Poke Ball anymore. And I suppose PETA is willing to overlook the fact that in the anime Ash made many offers for Pikachu to go free, and that Ash isn't even IN the games. No, Red is not Ash.)
  • Oh gosh, the non-Pokemon scenes make me sicker than the regular game.
  • Pikachu holding a sign that says "I love Team Plasma" is just hilarious.

And oh boy, I just love PETA's work ethic.
"Hey, I have a great idea on how we can stop animal abuse!"
"Golly, Mister PETA, what's that?"
"Let's just take all of the animals away from people, and kill them so they can't be hurt anymore!"
"OH MY GOSH, THAT IS THE MOST GENIUS IDEA SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME!!"

Seriously, PETA. Seriously. This is just making even more people laugh at you.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; October 8, 2012 at 03:07:56 PM. Reason: 'Seriously' sounds more mature than 'srsly'
Old October 8, 2012, 03:09:55 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor78 View Post
Here's a short list of questions and opinions I have about this;
  • How did PETA even get the rights to make a game like this?
  • If you actually play the game, they get a lot of details wrong. (One of them; Ash's Pikachu doesn't even have a Poke Ball anymore. And I suppose PETA is willing to overlook the fact that in the anime Ash made many offers for Pikachu to go free, and that Ash isn't even IN the games. No, Red is not Ash.)
  • Oh gosh, the non-Pokemon scenes make me sicker than the regular game.
  • Pikachu holding a sign that says "I love Team Plasma" is just hilarious.

And oh boy, I just love PETA's work ethic.
"Hey, I have a great idea on how we can stop animal abuse!"
"Golly, Mister PETA, what's that?"
"Let's just take all of the animals away from people, and kill them so they can't be hurt anymore!"
"OH MY GOSH, THAT IS THE MOST GENIUS IDEA SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME!!"

Seriously, PETA. Seriously. This is just making even more people laugh at you.
Simple.....PETA uses PETA Logic
if we take away your animal so you dont hurt them, we'll hurt them anyway
Old October 8, 2012, 03:42:56 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxImpetus View Post
Well, I actually played it after I heard about it this afternoon
that game assaulted my eyes...
PETA...You Dun Goofed, Again
I've also played the game. Have you seen the moves list? Protest/Group Hug/Petition

Not only do these things not work in real life, they also make you like an idiot. no one wants to gather in a group and chant rhymes. No one wants people to smother them and squeeze the air out of them. That sounds painful. Petition... really? Have those ever truly worked?
Old October 8, 2012, 04:42:19 PM
Kyurem

To add further confusion:

http://pixelatedgeek.com/2011/02/pok...nimal-cruelty/

Here's the part that I'm pointing out:

Quote:
PETA’s Response
If you have been living under a rock, PETA is an animal rights organization that is well known for taking their cause to the extreme. Keeping in mind the previous and the accusations against Pokemon, I contacted PETA to see their stance on the popular children’s game.

Quote:
Pokemon deserves praise for promoting good care and affection for other living beings–even imaginary ones. However, real animals in the real world shouldn’t be confined to small spaces against their will–whether it’s a Poke Ball or a cage for egg-laying hens. The world of Pokemon is clearly fictional, and we trust that most kids can see this distinction. However, parents may want to ensure that their children understand that while cartoon animals living in imaginary Poke Balls is all in good fun, real animals should always be treated with compassion and respect and should never be condemned to life in a cage. -PETA’s official response when asked their stance on Pokemon.
I had to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by their view. I really couldn’t agree more with them.
(by the way, this was back in February '11, so it has no relation to the game thing)

Last edited by NismoZ; October 8, 2012 at 04:43:36 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:56:40 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
PETA cares more about publicity stunts (such as this) then actually doing stuff to save animals (Fact: They euthanize more animals then they "set out" to save)
Hey, Yosh, any chance you can cite proof of this fact? I'm not challenging it, I just want to use this for a Protest speech against PeTA that I'm putting together, and if I can get a source, it'd be appreciated.

As for my take...well...you should wait until Saturday. Then I might have a little more than a paragraph to say on these people...
Old October 8, 2012, 07:48:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuvatTenlii View Post
Hey, Yosh, any chance you can cite proof of this fact? I'm not challenging it, I just want to use this for a Protest speech against PeTA that I'm putting together, and if I can get a source, it'd be appreciated.
Have fun
Old October 8, 2012, 08:24:34 PM
Administrator

I'm quite surprised by the accuracy of parts of the battling, like the paralysis/poisoning.

Also, Snivy looks funny with that needling sticking out of its head.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:37:29 PM
Giratina

PETA going overboard again? Oh come on, do they even expect to be taken seriously anymore? Were they ever taken seriously? I don't know what's up with them, but I know people who could save more animal lives while being sensible.
Even though this is really stupid, there are things I like about this, just like Super Chick Sistahs. It's got some good music, the battling is fun, and although the excessive use of blood almost makes me sick, the battered characters are amusing to look at.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:46:42 PM
Volcarona

Oh gawd, I never laughed so hard at a PETA creation. I'm going to give them credit though. They really payed attention and studied their Pokemon since the whole design is accurate, even the battle system is accurate with Physical and Special attacks (see Pikachu's Quick Attack and Thunderbolt plus his status reducing moves). The music is original as well, I can tell that it's trying to parody the classic Pokemon style but does it in a sort of laughable way I find personally. The character designs make me chuckle as well, it does not disturb me one bit. I have to say though that Snivy's design probably is my favorite. Oh, and did you notice the Slowpoke meme? They did pay attention in Pokeschool afterall! This game obviously is just to gain popularity, even if it is negative. They feed off of publicity and feeding you with nightmares of cruel images. They don't seem to be proving anything for their "cause" other than they're just desperate idiots now.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:44:43 AM
Rayquaza

The whole point is laughable. Nintendo will sue them, I believe. And I think they should focus more on saving real animals than wasting their time on fire-tailed bacon.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:46:24 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
The whole point is laughable. Nintendo will sue them, I believe. And I think they should focus more on saving real animals than wasting their time on fire-tailed bacon.
Has Nintendo already sued them before? This is about the 4th or 5th parody of their games. Last time with the Tanooki Suit (Which had nothing to do with animals) they claimed they were just kidding. What's their excuse this time?
Old October 9, 2012, 01:07:54 PM
Zoroark

You have to admit, the game IS pretty good.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:25:42 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheKiller View Post
You have to admit, the game IS pretty good.
Are you kidding me? It's great! I love all of PETA's stupid and psychotic "Save the fake animals!" games. Not to mention that they had to have studied both Black/White and Black/White 2 to get their facts spot on. The clothing of the parody characters is even identical when warped. Although the thing I want to know is what type the trainers are. It confused me, so I nearly lost the last 2 battles. And healing between battles would've been nice, too.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:32:53 PM
Volcarona

You know what's funny? (I know this is kind of off-topic and all, but...) I always wanted a spin-off of the Pokémon series that had a more mature theme, with blood and gore like Mortal Kombat, just not like this. It's a guilty pleasure to be honest, but kinda sad, really.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:20:06 PM
Volcarona

It's been submitted to Know Your Meme... Link

The game is embedded on that page. Click at your own risk.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:14:13 AM
Kyurem

Found this gem on Kotaku about someone pretty much blasting PETA. YouTube video contents not checked yet as I was on the phone when I saw this.

The best part is perhaps captured by the quote:

Quote:
Let me say to you right now, PETA, I love Pokémon. I would never hurt a fly. I would never hurt an animal. I would never hurt a dog. And I promise you that your misguided attempts will be met with nothing but contempt, because I stand against you—I and a million others—I and all my friends here: Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Pikachu. We stand in unity against you PETA, because you are sick and wrong.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:35:32 AM
Charizard

http://www.kimsites.net/pokemon/peta.html

Thank you.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:58:16 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Are you kidding me? It's great! I love all of PETA's stupid and psychotic "Save the fake animals!" games. Not to mention that they had to have studied both Black/White and Black/White 2 to get their facts spot on. The clothing of the parody characters is even identical when warped. Although the thing I want to know is what type the trainers are. It confused me, so I nearly lost the last 2 battles. And healing between battles would've been nice, too.
When I say it's good, I mean it doesn't look like it was made by the love child of a pile of rhino poop and Justin Bieber's music.
Old October 23, 2012, 03:52:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'm quite surprised by the accuracy of parts of the battling, like the paralysis/poisoning.
They're probably Pokemon fans
Old October 23, 2012, 04:05:56 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
They're probably Pokemon fans
If that's true, than the irony is mind-blowing. Then again, if they were real Pokémon fans, they wouldn't have flipped the Fearow at a franchise they'd like. Amusing thought, though. x3
Old November 5, 2012, 04:10:36 PM
Joltik

Not hard to imagine they actually did research. If it was too much not like Pokemon, people would call them out.

All in all I find it really sickening that PETA always drops to such low blows. I'm all for treating animals right, but how does this accomplish that goal? It is funny though.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:28:46 PM
Magikarp

PETA has always trolled around like this. (super tofu boy, cooking mana, et al.)

They do it for attention. I consider the organization similar to the Westboro Baptist Church. Some of their members are serious, but for the most part, it's a group that exists to create conflict and outrage.

(they really don't care about animals at all, considering they put plenty of adoptable animals to death if they can't find homes for them.)
Old November 14, 2012, 04:06:37 PM
Charizard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synay View Post
PETA has always trolled around like this. (super tofu boy, cooking mana, et al.)

They do it for attention. I consider the organization similar to the Westboro Baptist Church. Some of their members are serious, but for the most part, it's a group that exists to create conflict and outrage.

(they really don't care about animals at all, considering they put plenty of adoptable animals to death if they can't find homes for them.)
This is absolutely right.

...that, and have you ever seen those creepy banned PETA commercials? Pretty much every year they try to run a superbowl ad and get denied.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:36:08 PM
Mudkip

Never mind the fact that while playing the games, there are many NPCs that believe you love your Pokemon and that's the reason that you beat them. I know I haven't seen much of the anime, but it's hard to forget the compassion that most of the characters show to their Pokemon (Pikachu's goodbye is always good) but Peta is just now calling out on the fact that Pokemon battle each other, despite Pokemon being out for about 13-14 years now?

I sort of wonder if the reason PETA targeted Pokemon is because of the Pokémon Apokélypse trailer? Yes it's dark, but I believe it was made more for the fans that wanted to see the darker side to Pokemon.

Guess we need to go back in time and make the members of PETA play Pokemon before they decide to protest it.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:04:46 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Snow View Post
Never mind the fact that while playing the games, there are many NPCs that believe you love your Pokemon and that's the reason that you beat them. I know I haven't seen much of the anime, but it's hard to forget the compassion that most of the characters show to their Pokemon (Pikachu's goodbye is always good) but Peta is just now calling out on the fact that Pokemon battle each other, despite Pokemon being out for about 13-14 years now?

I sort of wonder if the reason PETA targeted Pokemon is because of the Pokémon Apokélypse trailer? Yes it's dark, but I believe it was made more for the fans that wanted to see the darker side to Pokemon.

Guess we need to go back in time and make the members of PETA play Pokemon before they decide to protest it.
Just remember that PETA will go after any company that shows an animal or animal-like creature being treated in any sort of way, good or bad. I remember there was one incident where PETA went after the Battlefield 2 developers because there was one scene where you kill a rat for biting you and you're trying to remain hidden in the sewers. Nevermind the fact that there's a war going on and thousands of people are dying, we have to protect the sewer rats - that's the more important thing in that situation.
Old November 28, 2012, 05:45:49 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Just remember that PETA will go after any company that shows an animal or animal-like creature being treated in any sort of way, good or bad. I remember there was one incident where PETA went after the Battlefield 2 developers because there was one scene where you kill a rat for biting you and you're trying to remain hidden in the sewers. Nevermind the fact that there's a war going on and thousands of people are dying, we have to protect the sewer rats - that's the more important thing in that situation.
Look out Trearch. PETA doesn't like it when someone acknowledges the fact that the military uses dogs in war, and that sometimes dogs get shot... now I has a sad. Also, why don't I need a mod to allow the posts anymore? I thought I was in purgatory.

Last edited by JeffTheKiller; November 28, 2012 at 05:46:27 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:22:33 AM
Haxorus

Tbh PETA need to get their facts right, in the pokemon games there is no scenes of any violent wrongdoing against the Pokes, I think they just try to get attention to their cause but fail.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:46:25 PM
Cyndaquil

The fact that P.E.T.A. focuses mainly on negative animal-human interactions and reality is just enough. Video Games are meant for entertainment and escaping reality to a cool, new world; not to just enter into a world just like ours. I bet they even hate Neopets. Oh well, They would just need someone in their life that can distinguish between a video game and real life.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:20:27 PM
Haxorus

Why is this thread still getting attention.
Pokemon, like MLP:FiM and Marvel Comics, is unkillable.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:22:39 PM
Regigigas

So they love animals but went out of there way to make gruesome dead animal pokemon stuff in the game and also yes they do just do put animals to sleep if they can't get them a home my friend got a dog they were gonna put to sleep cuz it had arthritis