Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Funny/Interesting Stuff
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 18, 2010, 10:50:43 AM
Regigigas

Default Sea Turtle Finds Camera, Films Self

Video Description    
 I found a camera and Ikelite waterproof housing washed ashore in Key West, FL. Pictures dated from November, 2009 indicate it floated all the way from Aruba over a period of 6 months. Two months in to the journey, this sea turtle came across it and probably tried to eat it, turning the camera on and recording himself. The owner has been located in Aruba and confirmed he lost it while diving off Aruba on November 11, 2009. The last thing the owner did was take a video, so the camera was in video mode. This incident with the turtle ocurred on January 15, 2010. The camera washed ashore in Key West on May 16, 2010 covered in growth.

Based on time, I estimate this video to have occurred in the vicinity of Honduras. As far as we know, and having confirmed the date of loss from the owner, this video was made with absolutely no human assistance.

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix L18. The waterproof housing is an Ikelite.

Battery Life - The camera was powered by 2 AA batteries. When the owner lost the camera, it was either turned off, or the camera went in to battery saver mode and turned itself off. The camera stayed off until the turtle happened upon it 2 months later. Makes sense. The batteries would still be good, as apparently they were. Otherwise, this video would not exist.

This is not the best video in the world, but what do you want from a turtle? This shortened video ends at the point the turtle and the camera separated. The video ran for another 15 minutes, looking straight up at the sky with water washing over it. The full 20 min video ends, I assume, because the batteries died. There was still room on the card.

Special thanks to the good people of Scubaboard.com, Cruisecritic.com, and Aruba.com for helping me find the owner. I could not have done it without their help.

Anyone interested in reading the case as it was solved, read here. This thread explains how we found the camera to be from Aruba and how we found the owner.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bas...-com-help.html

Discuss.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; June 18, 2010 at 10:52:22 AM. Reason: Aww, embed disabled :(