Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old August 1, 2016, 06:44:39 AM
Keldeo

Default Alola Forms, Z Moves and a Few Other Things

So we got a rather long Sun-Moon video today.

- A bunch of old Pokémon (namely Kanto Pokémon) get these new "Alola forms." I have mixed feelings about this. I'd rather Sandslash gets a legitimate new evolution than a special form only available in Alola. Like they did with Sinnoh.

- Alola Trials, one for each island. Finally, some serious sidequesting in Pokémon games. At least, I assume. We only got to see the bosses at the end today, though.

- A couple new Pokémon. Meh.

- Z Moves, which are basically the "attack" analogue of Mega Evolutions. You only get to use one a battle and they're supposedly ridiculously powerful, though I'm not sure what order of magnitude the base power's on. I don't like these. I didn't like Mega Evolutions 'cause power creep, and these look about the same. They look kind of cool, but I wouldn't be surprised if between these and the (undoubtedly more power creep-filled) Alola forms I never bother to get into Gen 7 competitive.

- Edit: oh yeah, you get to ride Pokémon too. This had better be what it looks like it is. *shakes fist in Nintendo's general direction*

Go.

Last edited by Dragonite; August 1, 2016 at 06:45:51 AM.
Old August 1, 2016, 11:57:59 AM
Administrator

I can't believe the alternate-typed forms from the leak actually proved to be real. Alright! *stares at Ice/Fairy Ninetales and wants now* Now where's my water-type Growlithe?

I'm betting that confirms the Gym League as gone.

Also, what am I seeing with the rideable Pokémon? Have they actually confirmed the removal of the hated-by-most HMs?!

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 1, 2016 at 12:02:45 PM.
Old August 1, 2016, 06:33:20 PM
Keldeo

I actually wouldn't mind the Gym League being gone, but I'm a little nervous that the reaction from the general public will not be quite as positive.

Lot of possibilities for the Trials, though. Can I have my Pokémon Dawnguard now?
Old August 2, 2016, 11:45:58 AM
Administrator

I think the Gym League has at least gotten stale in its past implementation. Refighting them was nice, new teams after becoming Champion was nice, the fancy 3D puzzles were quite nice, and Gen II's set of 16 gyms was very nice...but, they're all fundamentally the same thing.
Old August 2, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
Keldeo

Also if there's only four of them, it could give them a chance to pull a Black & White and make the boss characters actually interesting people. Ah, that would be nice.

Also it seems to me like the Trials have the opportunity to kind of spread out and wander all over the islands, instead of being confined to a single relatively enclosed area.

Edit: found this on Bulbapedia's facebook a little while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
There has been a lot of talk about the Island Trials and what they mean for Gyms. It should be noted that the Japanese site reveals that we have not yet seen all of the Trial Captains. If we are to assume this means that there are multiple captains per island, that would leave us with 8 Trial Captains at minimum. We can logically assume that there are only the four kahunas to coincide with the four islands. Afte that it's on to becoming the Alola Region's Champion.

If anyone was concerned that it appeared that gyms were leaving, don't fear. There may be many changes in Sun and Moon, but it still looks like the series isn't quite ready to abandon its traditions.

Last edited by Dragonite; August 2, 2016 at 01:50:59 PM.
Old August 10, 2016, 08:37:51 AM
Kyurem

I love that ahola form of meowth and marowak, at least marowak can be used again

Last edited by kakashidragon; August 10, 2016 at 08:38:18 AM.
Old August 12, 2016, 07:22:31 AM
Rayquaza

I'm worried only Gen I will get Alola forms, they've already gotten special treatments by getting the most mega evolutions and there are a lot of cool forms other pokemon could have.

Also
Quote:
Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!”
Wut

Last edited by Magmaster12; August 12, 2016 at 07:25:42 AM.
Old August 12, 2016, 12:49:14 PM
Administrator

Maybe it's like that one Orange Island episode on Pinkin Island where everything turned pink after eating the local berries?