Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 9, 2013, 06:18:40 PM
Keldeo

Default YouTube Has Been Google Plus-ified

Can't find a thread about this anywhere, so I assume that means there aren't any. For those of you who don't spend much time on YouTube, Google has decided to integrate Google+ into it. Meaning you sign in with Google+, leave comments with Google+, etc. This seems to be a rather divisive issue . . . or at least, divisive as in YouTube vs. the rest of the Internet.

Spoiler Alert:    
    I like to poke fun at YouTube's updates as much as the next person, but all jokes aside I really don't care. YouTube is a part of Google, and Google is just trying to integrate it with the rest of their services. I can't see what all the fuss is about. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier. It took me like fifteen minutes to set up a working Google+ the first time I saw them bug me about it. I'm still notified of all my comments, I still get my emails when someone I'm subscribed to uploads a video, I can still upload videos like I've been doing for 3 years now. I don't use Google+ as often as I use, say, Facebook or Twitter but it's not like they charge me money for it, use it to install spyware on my computer or do anything else I remotely would care about.

Sure, it's not perfect. It's not fun when they waste my time to they ask me to change my YouTube name (like, multiple times a day) but that's been something they've been doing longer than Google+ and, for the time being, I do have the option to say "no." The status of the comments has been all over the place, yes, but while they were almost pointless strings of text when they first updated everything I've started to see the Reply and Thumb Up/Down buttons return in the last few hours, making them look like the YouTube comments of old, and I assume everything like threaded replies and Flagging for Spam else will follow.

Hope I'm not alone on this.

Last edited by Dragonite; November 9, 2013 at 06:19:02 PM.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:05:24 PM
Kyurem

I hate social networking, so I hate how Google is constantly trying to turn YouTube into a social network. Enough said.

(this also pretty much depends on how you're sided in the big Google+ debate)
Old November 9, 2013, 07:06:24 PM
Administrator

[This message has been deleted to keep this thread safe for viewers due to ire of Google and forced social networks.]

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 9, 2013 at 07:06:46 PM.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:26:04 PM
Giratina

They've gone too far. YouTube is not a social network. But I don't bother with that, as long as I can upload and organize my songs I'm good.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:44:12 PM
Rayquaza

When I comment on a youtube video I don't want people to see my face or know my real name for obvious reasons.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:57:20 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
When I comment on a youtube video I don't want people to see my face or know my real name for obvious reasons.
I know. I don't care if I use my nickname for my Gmail account, it's still private to everyone besides people I... sorta trust, not YouTube trolls. Google has this crazy idea that they can just take over the world, and that doesn't sit well with me.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:57:27 PM
Regigigas

A few of you have known me to be irrationally supportive of Youtube and Google, and I've even supported the assertion that Google+ is the deceptively the best social network available, if only people actually used it.
Get this Google+ account Youtube comment system out of my face.
These people are very quickly turning a community against them.

Out of the desire to distance myself from useless internet drama, this is the extent of what I want to say or hear about the matter. Until something changes drastically, I'll just be avoiding the comments section and disregarding these issues that are quite frankly menial in the grand scheme of things.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:15:16 PM
Administrator

Y'know, if I had to pick the one thing I hate most about linking YouTube and Google+, it wouldn't be the fact that Google+ exists or that Google is trying to mine all of our data. It'd be the fact that it's practically shoved down our throats and hidden behind an OK button immediately upon signing into YouTube when it says something along the lines of, "No thanks, use my YouTube username." I know several people who have mistakenly created profiles on the thing, and once I showed them they were quite disgusted with how they unknowingly were forced to join. I've almost done it multiple times thanks to the box appearing different every time.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:25:36 PM
Kyurem

Kind of unfortunate that Google and its services are too well-entrenched at this point, how? I'm stuck having a Google account that I'll never be able to be able to truly bet rid of even when you consider that I don't use any of their services anymore.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:08:37 PM
Administrator

Hey, I'm stuck for several reasons:
  • YouTube account with over 11 million views
  • Reasonably decent advertising revenue (which pays roughly 60% of the server at this point)
  • Valuable Google Voice phone number I'd like to port to a real cell phone once I pay for my own plan
  • A couple purchases in Google Play (meh, $5 is nothing)

Everything else has already been taken off the service. Any e-mail has been moved to another account (and the Gmail account has been deleted).

In fact, it's amusing how they're trying to force everyone with a Google Account to join Google+. Just to check my dashboard now to gather that list above, I received three invites.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 9, 2013 at 11:14:25 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:57:23 AM
Administrator

Oh no, now they made it harder for me to read all the helpful positive insightful video comments.....

Also

Last edited by Yoshi648; November 10, 2013 at 07:07:09 AM.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:31:56 AM
Administrator

Oh, here's there official blog on the matter:
http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2...-comments.html

The lovely, not-so-ironic part? You need a Google+ account to comment there to tell them how much you don't like the Google+ integration.

I agree with this guy in particular in the comments:
https://plus.google.com/118264612076...ts/KQdb1VEqXsx

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 10, 2013 at 10:42:02 AM.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:55:32 AM
Haxorus

Well done Google, ruining everything like usual. They probably will use the Google+ system to spy on us even more.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:06:56 PM
Kyurem

Something tells me that it's Google and not YouTube themselves. They have actually blocked any attempt at a good YouTube app for Windows Phone even when the YouTube tram was willing otherwise.

Google = hamstringing others. Sigh.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:53:39 PM
Linoone

Also... why did they remove the character limit? I've seen people post 2000+ spaces of nothingness. Nice job Google, nice job.
Old November 10, 2013, 01:14:06 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfbane5001 View Post
Also... why did they remove the character limit? I've seen people post 2000+ spaces of nothingness. Nice job Google, nice job.
Because they are idiotic and don't realise that this just helps fuel more comment wars.
Old November 10, 2013, 01:40:26 PM
Kyurem

Hmm. G+ is full of a few people (who seem to mostly be working for Google themselves) having insightful conversations, and YouTube comments are mostly full of morons and trolls. Here's a great idea: let's force people on YT to make G+ accounts and get rid of most limitations on comments! That couldn't possibly backfire!

Hey, Earth to Google: you can't change people. The YT comment section is usually one of the worst places on the internet, and now you've just given them free reign over what they can post. Now there are links to viruses and shock sites running rampant, not to mention the huge backlash (and over 35,000 dislikes on the video announcing it).

And then there's the fact that Google are too full of themselves to notice. The big mess in the comments here (language warning) gives a good representation of how delusional they are; they act all high and mighty because they can delete comments that they don't like, and then spout some BS about how it should help deter trolls because it's linked to your Google account or something like that.

Yeah, good ****ing luck with that, it looks like they haven't seen the comments of any popular video lately.
Old November 10, 2013, 01:47:26 PM
Administrator

Looks like folks have already found ways to phish with the new system. You can create links with safe-sounding names that link to viruses and stuff. Good going.

Also, there's a petition with 83,000 signatures already:
http://www.change.org/petitions/goog...-original-form
Old November 10, 2013, 04:00:27 PM
Landorus

Yeah, I think they definitely should've thought this through more before putting this into action. Unfortunately, people won't stop making videos even with all of this, especially those who are the partners and get paid for making and uploading them.

Also, I was listening to this song and thought it'd be funny if someone made a parody around all of this:

0:53
They filmed their videos, they built their channels one by one,
And bit by bit they worked 'til the communities were done

It probably wouldn't work with the whole song, but the idea made me laugh.
Old November 10, 2013, 04:32:25 PM
Linoone

Google?! What is your reason to update in the first place?!
Old November 10, 2013, 04:45:37 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfbane5001 View Post
Oh please, I can one up you on that. Nothing but full song lyrics, ASCII art swastikas, I even saw a SHORT STORY. For WHAT?

Hey, this parody video (Very VERY NSFW I might add, kids) sums up the whole thing quite nicely.

If one thing good came out of this, I fell in love with that song through YouTube's original version.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:45:32 PM
Rayquaza

Sometimes I think companies do stuff like this just to keep there employees busy.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:28:04 PM
Rayquaza

So apparently one of the co-founders isn't to happy about this either.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jawed?feature=watch
Old November 11, 2013, 06:59:23 PM
Regigigas

Just when I think it couldn't get any worse, it does. I was avoiding it as much as possible. I'm still having trouble replying to comments on firefox.

Works on chrome though. Surprising.

edit: someone posted the entire script for Back to the Future in one comment

Last edited by DashArmy; November 11, 2013 at 07:08:36 PM.
Old November 11, 2013, 07:10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Any idea how much of a role the founders play in YouTube anymore? (I have no idea.)
Old November 11, 2013, 07:56:55 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Any idea how much of a role the founders play in YouTube anymore? (I have no idea.)
None. It's entirely Google run. You'd think they'd get some say in it though, don't you? Well, Chad Hurley is apparently an "adviser" but if he was really advising things it wouldn't be so terrible.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:21:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
None. It's entirely Google run. You'd think they'd get some say in it though, don't you? Well, Chad Hurley is apparently an "adviser" but if he was really advising things it wouldn't be so terrible.
Dang. Hm, I remember when Google bought the site. At least for the first two years, they ran it pretty well. I can specifically remember things they received flak for:
  • Required linking of a Google Account
  • Recommended new users to use a Gmail address and made it a pain to choose otherwise (which has since been lifted)
  • Arithmetic errors in the star ratings (at one point, 5 stars was only possible if absolutely nobody voted less than 5 stars)
  • Thumb rating system instead of star ratings
  • Removal of the honors system (#3 top rated animal video today in Norway)
  • Devaluation of "friends" to "contacts"
  • Layout changes, more so with channels and the homepage than with the video player
  • Channel boxes
  • Removal of groups (which nobody used anyway)
  • The focus on HD rather than making the site more stable
  • The original automatic volume leveling that made volume very unstable throughout videos (since changed to simply normalize the volume of the entire video)
  • The difficulty of using stereo sound
  • Search revisions to "algorithmically demote" videos they felt were not up to YouTube standards
  • The player itself, particularly the automatic selection of 144p whenever it desired
  • All the times the site only worked properly in Chrome
  • 30-second pre-roll advertisements
  • YouTube Partner Program becoming a business for corporations
  • The anonymity of the DMCA takedown form (see: CONJOPI)
  • Google+ integration
  • Complete devaluation of YouTube Partner Program to increase profits
  • Removal of the prominence of subscriptions on the homepage
  • The ease of accidentally joining Google+
  • The requirement of YouTube accounts to use Google+
  • The requirement of Google+ to post comments

They're not quite in order, but those are the things I remember. And the reason I rant so much about YouTube is because I loved the site a lot during its early years, but Google really betrayed me (and many, many others).

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 11, 2013 at 08:24:52 PM.
Old November 12, 2013, 03:16:53 AM
Giratina

I remember when I first got on YouTube. It was a scary site back in 2007 or so, and my mom brought me there to listen to Michael Jackson's Thriller. And I think I got overwhelmed by how many things the site had. Now I can barely enjoy myself by the emphasis on famous channels who get payed for barely any effort, all I can do is listen to music. And certainly not Vevo, they're worthless.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:49:40 AM
Haxorus

Quote:

Something tells me the account was hacked. I doubt he would actually post something like that for this particular case.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:45:06 PM
Shaymin

I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this... But...

I miss Youtube comments...

It all used to be stuff I didn't want to get involved in sure. But look hard enough and sometimes you'll find some of the best comments ever. And now it's either drowned out by Google+ Hate, Page stretching spam or still that serious nonsense. I miss my pointless comment chains and silly top comments... :C
Old November 12, 2013, 01:08:58 PM
Giratina

I don't care much about needing a G+ account or not being able to like since my likes would never show anyway, but I loved reading pages of comment wars. Now that they broke the replies I guess I can't do that anymore. I also liked the top comments but I guess with they're new "relevancy" system EVERY comment is a top comment.
Old November 12, 2013, 01:13:46 PM
Haxorus

Anyone else notice the time links are broken, too? Now they bring you to ANOTHER TAB to load the different time, making them pretty much obsolete since it's easier just to go to the time on the original page. :/
Old November 12, 2013, 01:18:20 PM
Administrator

I noticed the comments aren't even showing up (on any videos) if you're not logged in.
Old November 12, 2013, 01:24:08 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
Google+ Hate
Ironic that the only thing that it seems like YouTube comments can agree on is their stance on Google's works itself?
Old November 12, 2013, 09:54:07 PM
Administrator

...YouTube changed the homepage layout again (at least as a guest).
Old November 13, 2013, 02:28:27 AM
Haxorus

How so? I didn't notice any changes when I logged out.

Last edited by Eagles; November 13, 2013 at 02:28:42 AM.
Old November 13, 2013, 10:38:00 AM
Administrator

It's not a huge change, but the left and right sides look a bit different.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:51:54 PM

Am I the only one getting annoyed of seeing this?

Quote:
☻/ This is Bob. Copy and paste him
/▌ all over Youtube
/ \ so he can take over Google+
and return the old comment section!
Old November 13, 2013, 10:09:35 PM
Administrator

Oh great, Bob is back? I haven't seen that guy in years.

Also, the easiest way to fix your experience on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/feather_beta
Old November 14, 2013, 05:37:57 PM
Regigigas

I'm not much of an internet person anymore (I've found another career. I keed.), but I did notice this. It doesn't really bother me much since I only use Google+ for games or whatever (and as an alternate e-mail for junk), buuuut I don't like that my name will appear. Also, going through the process of creating a Google+ account just to gain the YouTube experience... Eeeeh no.
Old November 14, 2013, 06:51:29 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Oh great, Bob is back? I haven't seen that guy in years.
Bob is growing; I found a variation.

Quote:
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂░░░░░☻/︻╦╤─░░This tank & Bob are against Google+
ll███████████████████].░░/▌░░░░░░░Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..░░░/ \░░░░░░░YouTube if you are with us
That one's kind of amusing if you ask me. I wonder what other variations the internet is going to be able to come up with.

Last edited by NismoZ; November 14, 2013 at 06:52:30 PM.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:55:03 PM
Kyurem

This might be a little off topic, but youtube will be the 3ds sometime this month, i just dont know when though.