Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 11, 2012, 05:13:42 PM
Giratina

Okay, so like, I THINK I know what you mean about the pixels, and I could do a few quick edits on those to see how you like it. How about that? And I'll get on that by tomorrow.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 11, 2012 at 07:04:24 PM.
Old July 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Okay, so like, I THINK I know what you mean about the pixels, and I could do a few quick edits on those to see how you like it. How about that? And I'll get on that by tomorrow.
You dont have to do anything. Just what I assigned you. So if you want to do it for your own sanity, go right ahead
Old July 11, 2012, 08:52:42 PM
Giratina

I call this thing...THE SKITTINI! I wanted to change the colors on the top of its head, but every time I tried for Skitty's purple ears or another color, it just didn't go, so I left the various shades of white and gray. Sorry if that's a bad thing.
Attached Images

Old July 12, 2012, 06:32:44 AM
Shaymin

TurtwigX
You are right that it may be wrong. But I think you are thinking of disguises. That is another kind of spriting where you apply colors not according to the same colors and body shapes, but you apply according to what the pokemon that you are taking the colors from. But I will remind you in recoloring that it is just taking one shade (all the greys for example) replacing them with another shade from another pokemon. So you had enough tans from Skitty to make the ears and nose tan. I do think that you think you are doing some kind of disguise thing. But in concept of recoloring, that leaves me with no choice but to give you a C

Also if you are using Paint you should use the trick from the video I showed Blood Swampert. It really helps.

So lets keep it simple but make this one an A+ and we can move on!
Recolor a Trapinch with colors from Phanpy.
Old July 12, 2012, 06:27:13 PM
Giratina

I don't know about you, but I'm not really feeling this Phanphinch. The colors of it just look wrong, although I did the most basic basic of basic things.
And I've been using the eraser trick since That one assignment after I redid Stunlot.
Attached Images

Old July 12, 2012, 06:31:30 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'm not really feeling this Phanphinch. The colors of it just look wrong, although I did the most basic basic of basic things.
And I've been using the eraser trick since That one assignment after I redid Stunlot.
I would just like to point out that you read the assignment wrong, thats all.

But I do give that sprite an... A
Old July 12, 2012, 06:33:54 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplasma View Post
I would just like to point out that you read the assignment wrong, thats all.

But I do give that sprite an... A
...Aw dangit, I see it now. GOD I FEEL SO RETARDED. But I sweeeaaaar it said recolor Phanphy as Trapinch. LET ME DO IT PROPERLY.
EDIT: I apologize profusely for my stupidity and overall lack of common knowledge.
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtwigX; July 12, 2012 at 06:50:47 PM.
Old July 13, 2012, 07:11:23 PM
Shaymin

TurtwigX
This is really awesome. A

Ok. I cant test you now because there is still one more skill I haven't taught you. But I am going to give you a mini test on this part, because you have improved so much. If you get a B or higher we can start the new stuff.

So this is the minitest.

A Bellossom colored with colors from Kingdra
Old July 13, 2012, 10:35:09 PM
Giratina

Seriously? Kingdra colored Bellossom? You could not have picked anything harder. Kingdra has like 5 colors, and Bellossom has like 15. Oh well, I did the best I could. I don't think this is worth anything, however...
Attached Images

Old July 14, 2012, 05:27:45 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Seriously? Kingdra colored Bellossom? You could not have picked anything harder. Kingdra has like 5 colors, and Bellossom has like 15. Oh well, I did the best I could. I don't think this is worth anything, however...
The point was for you to figure out how to take the few colors with plenty of shades to do that. I don't have time now, but I will show you how I did mine later then grade yours.

I will edit this post when it is time.
Old July 15, 2012, 07:55:26 PM
Joltik

So, what is the basic Recolor exam? May I just take it right off the bat?
Old July 16, 2012, 05:13:24 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenVisionary View Post
So, what is the basic Recolor exam? May I just take it right off the bat?
Yes, the first post read tat you may ask for the exam whenever you would like, even before the teacher gives it to you.

But please you the proper forms and such before you enroll.
Old July 16, 2012, 04:54:25 PM
Joltik

Ah, right, don't mind me, I was just derping a little there.

Class: Basic Recolors
Do you have experience with this class: Yes, quite a bit.
What software do you have for spriting: MS paint is my main spriting software
Teacher of preference: No preference.

Also, the example for Advanced Fusions is no longer correct. At all.
Old July 16, 2012, 05:36:00 PM
Shaymin

TURTWIGX
Okay! I would to give good news... YOU PASSED!!!! With a B+. The only problem with anything would be the mouth and blush. So congratz.

Now I get to teach you something new... And harder. This is where you take one pokemon and recolor it with colors from more than one pokemon. It is harder to pick out where to put the colors and making sure everything is inline. So there it is in the simplest of words. NOw show me how flexible you are...

Please recolor Bagon with colors from Swablu and Joltic. Also, you dont have to use every color...

Also, to see what I did, at the bottom there is an attachment.

forgottenVisionary

Would you like to take the classes via the thread, PM, or VM?

And thanks SO MUCH for telling me that, I don't even know how it got that way.... seriously I didn't do anything.

After you answer me I will give you your lessons.
Attached Images

Old July 16, 2012, 07:47:53 PM
Joltik

Thread works for me~
Old July 16, 2012, 07:49:12 PM
Shaymin

Also, I know you are amazing. Wanna take the exam?
Old July 16, 2012, 07:59:37 PM
Joltik

Sure! Let's get right to it!
Old July 16, 2012, 09:01:01 PM
Shaymin

forgottenVisionary

Here is your exam.

Recolor Zekrom with colors from Pokémon Sprite 525 and Pokémon Sprite 118

Recolor Heatran as Pokémon Sprite 288
Old July 16, 2012, 09:45:06 PM
Giratina

Joltik? JOLTIK? WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME SO. I'm deathly afraid of spiders! But...I'll get to work on the recolor...in AGONY...
Old July 16, 2012, 09:51:52 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Joltik? JOLTIK? WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME SO. I'm deathly afraid of spiders! But...I'll get to work on the recolor...in AGONY...
LMAO! It is a tick not a spider... calm you undergarments.
Old July 16, 2012, 10:04:02 PM
Giratina

Quote:
LMAO! It is a tick not a spider... calm you undergarments.
Why don't you calm YOUR undergarments, whatever that means! It's still a tick that evolves in to a giant disgusting tarantula thing... which I'm not understanding. How would a tick turn in to a tarantula? Anyway, this is really hard and I'm not getting it. Any tips? (I refuse to show pictures of what I'm doing because they're too bad. Literally.)
EDIT: Actually, here you go. I still want my dang tips, but this is an example of what I BELIEVE to be my best. (Yes, I DID use Swablu's colors)
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtwigX; July 16, 2012 at 10:20:07 PM.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:16:18 AM
Shaymin

TurwigX

I think you doubt yourself too much, because you pretty much got it right. The things that were wrong are the outline look weird on the mullet (doesn't deduct points) and the third to lightest shade of grey on the mullet wasn't recolored (But it did almost fool me). So you get..... a B! And it is a really big B. Like it is right in between B+ and B.

Tips:
Us the colors in most suiting order.
The bode of Bagon is obviously Joltic. But on the lug you were forced to use an outline color on the base. That looks kinda weird and only should be done in a have-to-do situation. What you should do is pair up the colors that have same or similar number of shades. you should have used the yellow on the belly and the blue on the body. That would have made it so you didn't need to use the outlines when you are still working on shades.

Never leave a color uncolored.
We have talked about this before, because it has been an issue before. But when you are recoloring colors that look the same as the color you are coloring it as (that was confusing to type) it is difficult. So all I have to say is make sure it is right. You could do what I do to check if that has happened. Here it is...
Duplicate the finished sprite. And then paste the pokemon that you used to recolor it with right by it.

Left click on an color from the pokemon you took the color from and swipe and right click over the duplicated sprite.

Do this with every single color of every single pokemon used until the duplicated finished sprite isnt there any more

If it is still there, you need to go to the original sprite and fix it.

That help???

Now here is your homework. (and I do apologize, I did make it hard for a beginner.)

Pokémon Sprite 531 recolor with colors from Pokémon Sprite 498 and Pokémon Sprite 43

Choice Task: Recolor Pokémon Sprite 515 with any two pokemon you want, but one is steel typed.

EVERYONE:I am now going to follow in Syracuvet's footsteps and use a choice task in every homework.
Old July 17, 2012, 02:28:08 PM
Joltik

Mmkay, not completely keen on either of these, but Zekrom came out okay. I had to add an extra shade to Boldore's main color to make it work, but it should do. The white areas still look really flat to me.
Heatran took two tries to get it to where I liked it, and I'm still not fond of it. The white shades from Vigoroth just seem really flat to me.

In short, I just really don't like white pokemon's shading. Bluh.
Attached Images

Old July 17, 2012, 03:46:32 PM
Shaymin

forgottenVisionary

Yes they do look flat, but it is supposed to be hard, because it is the exam. You did well for something that hard. The jem-thing on Heatran's head looks a tidbit weird. But to just say it, you... Passed!

Now what would you like to do?
Old July 17, 2012, 04:37:12 PM
Joltik

Maybe I should've added more shades... Wasn't sure how much of that you'd let me get away with, though. /shrug
And I forgot to add the main highlight back onto Heatran's gem - It was going to be white, but I switched to the dark grey of Vigoroth's claws as a last-second decision. Oops.

Class: Advanced Recolors
Do you have experience with this class: Eeyup.
What software do you have for spriting: MS paint
Teacher of preference: No preference
How would you like to take the classes?: Thread

Onwards!
Old July 17, 2012, 05:02:47 PM
Shaymin

forgottenVisionary

Tis I am not sure how much of experience you have in this. But I assume you will cling to it. I will give you an assignment and then you can either do it or you can request the exam and not do it.

So the concept of this is to make a brand new pallet or colors and recolor a pokemon with it. It is kinda easy. So read the short guide and practice a little then do this...

Recolor Glameow like a black cat.
Choice task: Recolor Flareon like a sea snake.
Old July 17, 2012, 05:48:27 PM
Kyurem

Well, now that I have time to take a class, I suppose I might as well enroll. I passed Basic Recolors on the old thread, but do I have to take it again? If I do, enroll me in that. Otherwise, enroll me in Advanced Recolors.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:18:54 PM
Joltik

Both done! Flareon's Palette and markings are based off of the Yellow Bellied Sea Snake~
Combined both into one image this time, palettes included. Pure black and pure white are not included on the palettes, just so you know~
Attached Images

Old July 17, 2012, 06:37:13 PM
Shaymin

GrassPokemonFTW

You may have noticed somethings have changed since we have seen you last

You will not have to retake that class, but do please use the form supplied on the first post. Thanks! But I will put you down as enrolled.

forgottenVisionary
Yep you did really well with these and pretty much had the hang of it. But I didn't introduce the patterning yet and you already got into it D: But I am glad you dove into it. A on both. Oh, and the tuft on the head of Flareon looks a little strange. But what ever.

But here is you next... My only advice is make sure you really like your work before you post it.
recolored like a raccoon
recolored like a husky dog.
CHOICE TASK: REcolor any pokemon like a polar bear.

Last edited by teamplasma; July 17, 2012 at 06:41:58 PM.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:47:01 PM
Kyurem

Oh, ha, whoops. Didn't notice the form. I should probably do that.

Class: Adv. Recolors
Do you have experience with this class: Yes (Basic Recolors class completed)
What software do you have for spriting: MS Paint meets my needs sufficiently
Teacher of preference: teamplasma
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: The thread
Old July 17, 2012, 07:06:14 PM
Shaymin

GrassPokemonFTW

Okay. So this is the guide thrown together. That is the guide for part one of ADV. Recolors. There are two parts. The first consists or just basic recoloring, but you make your own pallet. The other is where you alter the pattern of the colors so it more closely resembles the thing you are recoloring it as. Also the first thing I do after I tell them what it is about is assess the person. And I just there them into the water and I cant make any exceptions... So please show me what you can do...

Make a Pokémon Sprite 190 recolored as a real monkey.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:31:55 PM
Kyurem

Okay, here it is. I hope it isn't too bland...it seems to me like it's too monotone...

Name:  VRspriteschool.png
Views: 469
Size:  1.5 KB

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; July 17, 2012 at 07:33:27 PM.
Old July 17, 2012, 08:05:37 PM
Joltik

I love patterns~ They're fun to do~
Based the Mightyena off of my pet husky (who might be part wolf?) So the markings may be a little wolfish. The main reference I used for the raccoon was a little more red than most raccoons, but I like it better.
I may have overdone the shading on the white part of Mightyena's outline, but the black outline looked wrong, so nyeh.
Yay, dithering!
No palettes this time. Mostly because I used so many shades on that outline.
Attached Images

Old July 18, 2012, 12:24:10 AM
Giratina

I think I did this one okayish. I call it (Get ready for a bad name of 3 Pokémon mashed together) Audinishpig!
Attached Images

Old July 18, 2012, 06:05:12 AM
Shaymin

THIS ISN'T MAD, I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO READ THIS, THE CHOICE TASK IS SOMETHING, THAT YOU HAVE TO DO, NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU CHOOSE TO DO. THAT MAY HAVE BEEN CONFUSING, AND I WILL LET IT SLIDE, BUT FOR NOW ON PLEASE DO THEM. THANKS!

grassPokemonFTW

You recolored everything, which was one of the main things I was looking for. Like you said it is a little bland and the colors are cool similar. It looks from the 100% zoom like it isn't even changing. So in the next one I would like to see you make it a little more poppy. And like i tell everyone, make sure you like it before you post it.

Oh, yeah, you get a B.

So are there anymore questions before I hand out more homework?

Recolor Muk like blue lake water.
Choice Task: Recolor any pokemon like Florida Gators (football) colors.

forgottenVisionary

Well hello!

You did good with the pallets on both. But the colors were really light on the first one. I thought raccoons were black and brown. But maybe there is some breed that is white and brown. You did pretty good on the patterning. But something I don't like... Is the overusing of tethering. That is where you pixel like a checker board. On the second one there is too much. The dark tether on the light looks realllly weird. And you did the same with the 1st one. So that is something that you should tone down I smidgem. So one the 1st one you get a.... B+ and on the second one you get a...... B. I forgot to say how much I love the colors on the husky. They fit it VERY will. Crap another thing is, I don't think a Husky nose is red... is it?

You are going good. There are only small things issues in each of them. So that is good! Here is homework.

Recolor Goldeen like an Angel Fish

Recolor Kirlia like a human ballerina.

Choise Task: recolored as any one rock.

Turtwig X

Yupp. You did good. The only prob is one color on the tail that isn't from any of the pokemon I asked for. So that is weird. But you did good on about all of it. So I think you get an A. Woot woot!

You just keep improving and I don't really know what to tell you. So if you have any questions during this, we will talk.

Now I am going to try to kick it up.

Recolor with and

Choice Task: with one psychic type and Poison type. State them when you post them

Last edited by teamplasma; July 18, 2012 at 06:38:19 AM.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:13:00 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Turtwig X

Yupp. You did good. The only prob is one color on the tail that isn't from any of the pokemon I asked for. So that is weird. But you did good on about all of it. So I think you get an A. Woot woot!

You just keep improving and I don't really know what to tell you. So if you have any questions during this, we will talk.

Now I am going to try to kick it up.

Recolor with and

Choice Task: with one psychic type and Poison type. State them when you post them
YES THE TAIL IS. IT IS THE COLOR OF TEPIG'S TAIL. And you should've specified what "Choice Task" meant. I thought it meant "You can choose this if you want" not "You can choose your own Pokémon for this"
Old July 18, 2012, 12:15:31 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
YES THE TAIL IS. IT IS THE COLOR OF TEPIG'S TAIL. And you should've specified what "Choice Task" meant. I thought it meant "You can choose this if you want" not "You can choose your own Pokémon for this"
I searched that, Turty, and the outline was the nose and the base wasn't.... BUT YOU STILL GOT AN A! Tell me when you want to be quizzed.
Old July 19, 2012, 04:23:50 PM
Linoone

AGGHH F*** I'M LATE!!! I'm never going on a vacation again!
Attached Images

Old July 19, 2012, 05:03:41 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyarceus4 View Post
AGGHH F*** I'M LATE!!! I'm never going on a vacation again!
I have no idea what the assignment was, who was your teacher or what close this is...
Old July 19, 2012, 05:13:52 PM
Linoone

To quote you:
Quote:
Recolor Raikou with colors from Roserade
Recolor Dialga with colors from Bouffalant and Ralts
Recolor Klinklang with colors from Empoleon, Electrode, and Cacturne, but make every gear a different color
Old July 19, 2012, 05:17:07 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
To quote you:
Awesome, and was that a test?
Old July 19, 2012, 05:40:14 PM
Linoone

Yep.
Old July 19, 2012, 05:57:20 PM
Shaymin

shinyarceus4

It is okay if you are late, we all are sometimes.

You did pretty good on this! The issues are the lighter streaks on Dialga look funny. You slightly misunderstood the Gear one, but that is fine. Cuz it turned out yummy anyway! Those are the only issues! The grades (which I usually don't do on exams) go like this... A, B+, B+!

That means only one thing.... YOU.... PASSED, my good sir!

What do you feel to do next? Also, somethings have changed since you were last here... please read the new stuff and use the form on the front page.

Last edited by teamplasma; July 19, 2012 at 05:57:36 PM.
Old July 19, 2012, 06:05:39 PM
Linoone

Alrighty, I'll take a new class!

Class: Devamps
Do you have experience with this class: No, though I have passed Recolors
What software do you have for spriting: MS Paints (Perfect tool )
Teacher of preference: TeamPlasma
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: This thread
Old July 19, 2012, 06:53:09 PM
Shaymin

shinyarceus4

Worship that video for now!

If you have any Qs just ask!

First I would like seeing this.

A Devamp http://www.dragonflycave. com/sprites/gen1/rb/113.png
A Devamp http://www.dragonflycave .com/sprites/gen1/y/019.png
Old July 19, 2012, 07:13:26 PM
Kyurem

FINALLY GOT MINE DONE!

Blue Lake Water Muk was definitely a challenge. It took me a while to get it the way I wanted, because simply recoloring it blue would just not do. So I took some time to give Muk a little rippling effect. Florida Gators Krokorok was pretty basic; I just needed to find a good color scheme that worked. I'm overall more happy with the results of these ones.

Name:  VRspriteschool2.png
Views: 1460
Size:  2.8 KBName:  VRspriteschool3.png
Views: 1466
Size:  1.5 KB
Old July 19, 2012, 07:33:05 PM
Shaymin

GrassPokemonFTW

Attachment 3267
This is awesome. The detail and pattern is really nice. You have improved! A

Attachment 3268
Now on this one I am a little less... pleased. I think you did good generally, but here is what I gotta say. The out line on some parts was basically messed up. The colors weren't spot one. They are bright orange, dark blue and murky green. So that was upsetting. Overall you get a B-.

ADVICE: A big thing for me is the outline. You didn't outline the tail spikes right. You made the color lighter than the spikes itself. So pay close attention to that. The colors, like I said, are kinda wrong. But the point is that you got colors on there, and that is all we expect out of you here XD

But for real, the colors should be as close to the real thing as possible.So you should be a little more picky on that one. I felt like there should be "shriller highs and low lower lows" on the Muk. It was all pretty close together, but you could definitely tell where they are. But just if you wanted to be pickier, that is something to look at.

Now go for this.

Recolor Meowth like a Tabby Cat.
Recolor Magcargo like GreenLiquid (yes the user)
Choice Task: Recolor Lunatone like any planet

Last edited by teamplasma; July 19, 2012 at 07:33:59 PM.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:11:31 AM
Linoone

I can't recolor the outlines with the eraser trick, is there any substitute?
Old July 20, 2012, 11:18:38 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
I can't recolor the outlines with the eraser trick, is there any substitute?
Why I gave you those links. I meant those pokemon, not the images.

Why cant you use the eraser trick?

That is what they recommend?
Old July 20, 2012, 12:08:01 PM
Linoone

That was easy!
Attached Images

Old July 20, 2012, 12:27:39 PM
Shaymin

shinyarceus4

To prevent you getting in trouble, please erase your first post.

Your first one is really cool. There are few flaws and it is good. But you also did shading. Which isn't good. The thing you should do if you want to shade is tether. Which I will not teach you now because it is too early. So shading is bad (for now). B

The second one isn't as good. You shaded (a no no) and you useda color that looks bad on it. The color tan didn't look good onthe rattata color which I think is grey. Purple is the color you should have done. Purple is the normal color for hiim so you should've kept purple and color the body purple and kept tan and colored the mouth tan. Also make sure you ONLY us black white and two other colors. B-

You advice was in the grades.

Next do this.
Pokémon Sprite 578 devamped
Pokémon Sprite 204 devamped
Choice: Devamp any third gen steel pokemon.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:20:11 PM
Linoone

These are going by quickly.
Attached Images

Old July 20, 2012, 04:44:10 PM
Shaymin

shinyarceus4

The first one looks good from the 100% zoom. But at like 1600% you can tell you didn't recolor some spots. So that will cost you. And let me remind you since this is one of our easier classes this is a little harsher. B

The second one was much too similar to the first one. When I zoomed it up almost all the outlines had the same Grey, not black. Out lines should only be black. You could use that dark grey like you did in both, but then you cant use black. B

Make sure that you aren't missing colors and you are only

One more thing... You forgot an assignment and I will wait til you do that one to send you the next message.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:53:40 PM
Linoone

I'm not really good at these, eh...
Attached Images

Last edited by shinyarceus4; July 20, 2012 at 04:54:00 PM.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:59:53 PM
Shaymin

shinyarceus4

Yup. I see you took my advice and you did good on this one. A

Next, I am going to make this harder, because it will help you.

devamped

devamped

Choice tasks: Devamp any 4th gen, fully evolved pokemon.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:08:26 PM
Giratina

Done with the 2 tasks. First, we have what you said: Samurarmouirtle. And for the Choice Task, Crocochamfing. Using colors from Medicham and Dogars Koffing.
Attached Images

Old July 22, 2012, 10:37:02 AM
Shaymin

TurtwigX

The first one looks okay. I will state the issues, so after that, please take note.
1) there you skipped a shade of tan. Lets use this as an example... The shade went like 1, 2, 3, 4. You went 1, 3, 4. If anything you should have went 2, 3, 4 with the shades/
2) You used a blue from the whiskers as a highlight on the tan.
3)The red body looked dramatically red... like you used shades that varied a lot.
B-

The second one; There was an outline problem one the tan. I would have used the gas for the belly. and maybe the purple for the body. I thought the body looked a little strange. So remember and think through all the possibilities for your recolors. B+

Next, I am going to make this more of a learning thing. And make it a little easier.

recolored with colors from and

Choice: recolored with and any normal typed pokemon.
Old July 22, 2012, 03:33:33 PM
Linoone

Alright, I'm done.
Attached Images

Old July 22, 2012, 05:55:56 PM
Shaymin

shinyarceus4

So This one was actually easy... it seemed so, but there were a few colors you had to improvise on. A

This one I really liked. The ears and eyes were really nice. you get an A

I dont know if it is my eyes or what, but thy jewel looks yellow, though I know it isnt. But It is also nice and you have improved. A.

And now, because you did so good on this. I will tell you a story about tethering. Which is where you color a small part of the sprite like a checker board... a good example is here.

Use tethering and devamp these pokemon.

Absol.

Choice: And flying pokemon. (not exactly a flying type.)
Old July 24, 2012, 06:51:59 PM
Kyurem

It's actually called dithering, and it's used as an alternate form of shading. Since the older sprites only allowed a max of 4 colors (White, black, and 2 other colors), they used dithering to shade the pokemon. White was usually used as a highlight and black as a shade.
You can see some examples of this with Pokemon that have really dark colors in them.
Old July 24, 2012, 06:59:25 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
It's actually called dithering, and it's used as an alternate form of shading. Since the older sprites only allowed a max of 4 colors (White, black, and 2 other colors), they used dithering to shade the pokemon. White was usually used as a highlight and black as a shade.
You can see some examples of this with Pokemon that have really dark colors in them.
I looked in the mirror today and found a blonde hair, thanks for the help, ShinyCro. And I am adding you to the list of teacher again.

I looked back to see what it was and I thought it was tether, haha!

Last edited by teamplasma; July 25, 2012 at 11:17:21 AM.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:48:16 PM
Mudkip

Sorry for Uber-Inactivity... -_- I completely forgot what My assignment was....
Old August 7, 2012, 03:00:19 PM
Regigigas

this looks fun...hmm am I allowed to try?
Old August 7, 2012, 08:58:32 PM
Shaymin

Yup, read the first post

Just use the form and sign up.
Old August 7, 2012, 09:03:26 PM
Regigigas

Class:Basic Recoulers(so I can do Revamp and Devamps)
Do you have experience with this class:I am a spriter
What software do you have for spriting: Paint(It gets the job done)
Teacher of preference:
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?:This thread because PM is too complicated

Last edited by john-li; August 7, 2012 at 09:03:40 PM.
Old August 7, 2012, 09:19:55 PM
Shaymin

John-Li

Ok, so I know you are okay at this already so I am going to give you a medium styles assignment just for assessment...

Recolor
- Kakuna
With colors from
- Beldum

Recolor
- Roselia
With colors from
- Ninjask

Last edited by teamplasma; August 7, 2012 at 09:20:05 PM.
Old August 7, 2012, 09:42:54 PM
Regigigas

I finished I had to improvise a little but it all worked out in my opinion
Attached Images

Old August 8, 2012, 05:28:28 AM
Shaymin

John-Li

You seemed to have done this pretty fast
You first one: The this of it was just to see if you can handle the many shades that these two have of one color. You handled it very well. I see what you did with the eyes and that shows that you have some good knowledge in your brain!
It was an overall A

The second one: This took a while to check This was to see how you dealt with a lot of different colors. Which you also did well with. Something you did that pleased me was when you ran out of a shade you just used the next darkest/lightest, which was sometimes being used already. So to make it less word and such You grade is a wonderful A!

This is your last assignment before you get into the second half of this class. That means this is a little harder. For advice I would like to say that you should match up colors perfectly. That will be a challenge in this one.

Recolor
- Drifblim
with colors from
- Charizard

Recolor
- Tauros
- Altaria

Oh and please please please put those two in different pictures!

Last edited by teamplasma; August 8, 2012 at 12:05:44 PM.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:37:12 AM
Regigigas

man I don't know how good it is I tried pretty hard but altaria only has two colors and tauros has three. But I don't think drifblim is that bad I am hoping for a pass but I am not impressed with myself
Attached Images

Old August 8, 2012, 12:23:43 PM
Shaymin

John Li
The first one:
Nice the color selection was good. It fit pretty well. And overall was nice. The part that makes it not that great is that you didn't recolor it all. You didn't recolor the cloud. You should have used the white and grey found in his eyes. I know it wouldn't have made a dramatic difference, but it would have made it right. So something you should really look for is making SURE that you haven't left any color behind. B-

The second one: This one was similar to the first one. There were many nice things that I could say about it but you forgot to color in a part of it again. This time it was a hove . Soo we are going to try something like this again. B

Recolor
- Finneon
With the colors of
- Solrock

Also...

Recolor
- Chimecho
With the colors of
- Zangoose

Since you didn't listen last time... Please put them in two different attachments.

Last edited by teamplasma; August 8, 2012 at 12:33:11 PM.
Old August 8, 2012, 12:52:14 PM
Regigigas

I hope I didn't mess up I think these are better I didn't expect to fail in recolor but oh well
Attached Images

Old August 8, 2012, 01:08:15 PM
Shaymin

Okay. Why aren't you doing as I say???? I told you to please put them n different picture So please do that and just to hint... Make sure that you DONT MISS any of colors (because you have, and in recolors you must recolor everything!). Another thing... You didnt recolor most of Chimecho, so please fix those issues and then repost it Then you will get a better grade .
Old August 8, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Okay. Why aren't you doing as I say???? I told you to please put them n different picture So please do that and just to hint... Make sure that you DONT MISS any of colors (because you have, and in recolors you must recolor everything!). Another thing... You didnt recolor most of Chimecho, so please fix those issues and then repost it Then you will get a better grade .
sorry about the in the same picture thing but I did recolor all of chimecho I used the darker shades zangoos if I used the white it would mess up the shading and I used zangooses red on the red parts if you would like I will redo it but itis fully recoulered
Old August 8, 2012, 05:16:02 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-li View Post
sorry about the in the same picture thing but I did recolor all of chimecho I used the darker shades zangoos if I used the white it would mess up the shading and I used zangooses red on the red parts if you would like I will redo it but itis fully recoulered
Ok, I was just awaring you of this...

JOHN LI

The first one was good. The shades were in mostly a nice order and it look okay from far away. The only thing that bothered me is that I couldn't find that shad of magenta (on the tail) on either pokemon any pokemon that was involved in that assignment. So that was odd for me... B
BTW, you never failed any class.

The other one was mostly good. I did make a mistake on grading it the first time. So sorry. Bur anyways. The only thing that is a little weird is the places you put the colors. A

Now I must teach you something sort of new. You have to use two pokemon to recolor one. That is the easy way to put it. This should occur when you don't have enough colors to recolor.

Recolor
- Snover
with the colors from the pokemon
- Oddish
- Alomomola

&

Recolor
- Lotad
with the colors from the pokemon
- Zubat
- Sunkern
Old August 8, 2012, 08:23:40 PM
Regigigas

actually I am better with using two to recouler
Attached Images

Last edited by john-li; August 8, 2012 at 08:24:19 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:05:54 AM
Shaymin

JOHN-LI

Lotad: You may think it is easy, but that was just the first assignment. The whole thing about this method of recoloring is for color selection. On this one it seemed easy, but the big thing teachers look for with this method is color selection. The problems that you did have with the color selection impacted the finished sprite. On the pad on the top of it, there was some bad things happening. You see how it goes from that light to the dark on the lotad? That is bad. It looks good, but on the rim, the lights and the darks get mixed together. You maybe should have done the blue and purple on the pad and then the yellow greens and browns on the body. Like I said this method is ALL about color section. B

Snover: Really good. the selection was awesome and the gloves blended in very well! That is what I was looking for and you gave it to me! So good job and you get an A. If there is anything (and this is being SUPER picky), there was a outline that looked like black, but it wasn't. It was a dark shade a grey and you didn't recolor that. I know this because that color didn't belong to any of the assigned pokemon.

So the next assignment will be...

Recolor
- Cresselia
with colors from the pokemon
- Blissey
- Elekid

&

Recolor
- Shiftry
with colors from the pokemon
- Silcoon
And any pokemon from Hoenn and is a dark type.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:59:24 AM
Regigigas

I personally love these recolors but I had to use some colors from sprites of the different generations I hope that isn't cheating
I used mightyena as the second dark type for shiftry
Attached Images

Last edited by john-li; August 9, 2012 at 11:00:19 AM.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:14:51 PM
Shaymin

JOHN LI

Cresselia: This is okay. But please dont use the other generation. I am going to post a sprite sheet on here that I want people to use for things like Spriting, Recoloring, and Revamping, ETC. So please don't... So I am going to give you a B. But you did pretty good otherwise and The chest maybe should be a little lighter.

Shiftry: You did good. I think that the hair need more... balance. The bright was to bright and the dark was too wimpy. You can barely tell the darkest shade in the hair from the middle. And the lightest in the hair is really bright. So that is a small deduction. I do like the leaves and what you did with the lines. The body looks nice and shiny. It seems that you added another shade of red. That is always frown upon, so tell me when you do that okay? So you have a total 1 point being taken off (0.5 + 0.5 = 1). resulting in a B

Do you feel like you are ready for the test? Or do you have questions?
Old August 9, 2012, 05:57:33 PM
Regigigas

Well I learned the wrong and right of this so I know what I am doing so I would like to try the test please.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:45:52 PM
Shaymin

JOHN LI

TEST TIME!

Recolor Pidgeot with the the colors of Gloom.

Recolor Black Kyurem with the colors of Larvesta and Metang.
Old August 10, 2012, 01:24:53 AM
Floatzel

Class: Basic Recolours
Do you have experience with this class: No
What software do you have for spriting: Paint.Net, Paint, GIMP(VERY temperamental)
Teacher of preference: Teamplasma
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: PM
Old August 10, 2012, 06:33:08 AM
Haxorus

Class: Adv. Fusions
Do you have experience with this class: I never took a class from VR but I sprite a lot.
What software do you have for spriting: Paint
Teacher of preference: SyracuvatTenlii (otherwise Teamplasma =w= )
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: Thread please.

Last edited by Super Pichu62; August 10, 2012 at 07:45:59 AM. Reason: CRAP! sORRY FOR FORGETTING FUSIONS! >.<;;;
Old August 10, 2012, 07:45:09 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pichu62 View Post
Class: Adv.
Do you have experience with this class: I never took a class from VR but I sprite a lot.
What software do you have for spriting: Paint
Teacher of preference: SyracuvatTenlii (otherwise Teamplasma =w= )
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?: Thread please.
May I ask advanced what? And if you haven't taken the classes required for the class you want, it is too advanced (right now). So if you want Advanced Recolors, but you haven't completed Recolors, you can just ask for the Recolor test to save time.
Old August 10, 2012, 07:47:13 AM
Haxorus

Right before you posted I corrected it...! My bad! >.<;;;
But yes, I would like to take the regular Fusions test for Adv. Fusions.

Last edited by Super Pichu62; August 10, 2012 at 07:48:09 AM.
Old August 10, 2012, 09:21:44 AM
Regigigas

I am submitting my test boy I hope I pass finally I messed up way to many times through this class I want to head to devamps and revamps so I need to pass this

also btw I did recouler all of black kyurem I recoulered the darkest black with larvesta's darkest outline just so you know
Attached Images

Old August 10, 2012, 10:01:40 AM
Shaymin

JOHN-LI

BK: It is good! I like the blue where you put it. Andnice job with the pink, that would have been hard to think of. And the brown was a little funky... But the only thing actually wrong was a small outline issue with only takes away half a point. That leaves you with a (amazing) A-! Very good work!

Pidgeot: Some good things about this is the colors selection, it is groovy! Some things that I dont like are the eye things, it was a little too light, but it still looked cool. Though it was creative of you to use the dot color on the foot, it still was too dramatic of a change from orange to light light tan. That leaves me to give you a B+.

And since you got above a C on bother of them you have... PASSED!
Old August 10, 2012, 10:09:54 AM
Regigigas

yeeeaaa
anyway time to do what I came here for my new class

Class:Revamps
Do you have experience with this class:Kinda I do recoulers fusions and Devamping I want to try this it looks interesting
What software do you have for spriting: Untitled Paint
Teacher of preference:I don't care just want a good one
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?:Still going with this thread
Old August 10, 2012, 10:17:24 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-li View Post
yeeeaaa
anyway time to do what I came here for my new class

Class:Revamps
Do you have experience with this class:Kinda I do recoulers fusions and Devamping I want to try this it looks interesting
What software do you have for spriting: Untitled Paint
Teacher of preference:I don't care just want a good one
How would you like to take the classes? PM. VM, or this thread?:Still going with this thread
Syra will have take you, for I have not taken that class.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:19:04 AM
Regigigas

Well I guess I'll be waiting for my professor to finally arrive

Last edited by john-li; August 11, 2012 at 01:11:39 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 06:34:19 PM
Regigigas

ouajfaiukysgefkluashygvfjyagbefkuygbalsifbkubhasrgoairughoauhbn
UOBHEWUFIHBANouahnsdfuygbaseoyIOYHBAODIURGHOAUIG
IOASUD
HNFOIUABSFOUIBAEDFJKBASIDUFHONAUSD
IGFBUAHBSDIHBASDFUHBAUKLBSHRFGADRH

...That was necessary.

Super Pichu62
Okay, so you're about to start with the Spriting School. Since you do have some experience with this, I'm going to start you off by giving you the opportunity to test out of the first class, Basic Recolors...
EXAM
For this exam, I want you to take the 4 pokemon listed on the left and match each one with one of the 4 on the right. Choose any combination you want. Then, recolor each of the 4 pokemon with the colors of the pokemon you matched it with...
Garchomp
Abomasnow
Dragonite
Thundurus
Kyogre
Moltres
Lugia
Virizion

john-li
Oh, BOY, revamps, I totally forgot how to do these, so...TIME TRAVEL TIME TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny
Revamps is when you get an older sprite from the R/B/Y or G/S/C games and edit its shading and colors to make it look like a newer sprite.
For some this can be quite easy, but it can also be a challenge. All it really requires is for you to know the basic concepts of shading.

Also, unlike the beginning classes, I want you to edit shading. It is actually required to edit the shading in Revamps.
Here's one thing that you should also note: The Gen I and II sprites used this thing that I call 4-color shading. Every sprite you see in those games had 2 different colors, black, white, and that's it. The result was a rather flat sprite: it didn't really have any depth because there was barely any detailed shading. Just look at the difference between any pokemon's Gen II sprite and it's Gen III sprite. It's a little difficult to explain beyond that, so we'll just jump into your first assignment and see if that makes sense...

Assignment #1
This assignment contains 3 tasks...
1.) First, I want you to take the Yellow Version Pikachu sprite and revamp it based on its Gen III shades.
2.) Gen II Chikorita --> Gen IV shades
3.) Gen II Teddiursa --> Gen V shades

Last edited by SyracuvatTenlii; August 12, 2012 at 06:37:39 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:20:41 PM
Regigigas

TADAH! This is my first Revamp btw but I think it is decent
Attached Images

Old August 13, 2012, 03:29:01 AM
Rayquaza

I got busy and totally forgot about spriting. I guess I am back for the time being, so shall I go on with the exam?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 21, 2012 at 02:37:00 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:22:10 AM
Shaymin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
I got busy and totally forgot about spriting. I guess I am back for the time being, so shall I go on with the exam?
It depends. How good do you think you still are? I can give you a placement test an then see how you do with that.

Just wondering , for the front page, what are the classes you have already failed and passed?
Old August 13, 2012, 05:49:18 AM
Giratina

After my long period of absence, I have returned! And I am bringing to you Alakalapmer and Donphostatank! I lost most of my skill, if I had any at all, this is probably bad.
Attached Images

Old August 13, 2012, 05:53:31 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
It depends. How good do you think you still are? I can give you a placement test an then see how you do with that.

Just wondering , for the front page, what are the classes you have already failed and passed?
Pretty good, actually. I tried one of the sprites, and it turned out great IMO. I find no need for a placement test.

I passed Basic Recolours only and I haven't taken any lesson other than Basic Recolours and Fusions.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:32:23 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Pretty good, actually. I tried one of the sprites, and it turned out great IMO. I find no need for a placement test.

I passed Basic Recolours only and I haven't taken any lesson other than Basic Recolours and Fusions.
Okay. So here is another EXAM!

Fuse three pokemon like this. This.

Sableye --> Mawile. Mawile -->Aron. Aron --> Lairon

So it is like a chain of pokemon and the last one in a fusion should be the same as the base in the next one. Do this with the same rule of BIG pokemon. So you will need 4 consecutive pokemon.

Turt

Alakalapmer: I like the name. Another thing I like is the selection. I liked that a lot. And really, no flaws were detected. You followed all apparent rules. So you get an amazing A+

Donphostatank: This is good. The only thing is you didn't tell me that you used a Miltank. D: But anyways... You only missed a single pixel and that isn't THAT bad. You did good. A

Now I am really pressed for time so this is just a thrown together assignment.

Recolor
- Flygon
With the pokemon
- Hydreigon

Also

Recolor
- Mothim
with the colors of
- Sawk
And any First Gen Unevolved pokemon.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:37:08 AM
Rayquaza

Do I do both exams, or just the second one?
Old August 13, 2012, 01:51:38 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Do I do both exams, or just the second one?
The second one, please.
Old August 14, 2012, 01:59:37 PM
Rayquaza

Here is my exam:

The Pokémon used are Rhyperior > Tangrowth > Electivire > Magmortar
Attached Images

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 21, 2012 at 02:39:41 PM.
Old August 14, 2012, 02:14:02 PM
Regigigas

Am I even getting graded...*sigh*.