Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 21, 2010, 12:35:46 AM
Haxorus

Default Will someone kindly answer me when I ask what's the point of an MIDI?

Seriously, every-freaking-time I ask someone what's the point of MIDI files, I get flamed then people start saying "u shud google it stopid" even though I HAVE googled it, yet the only result I get is "OMG FREE MIDI FILES JUST FINISH THIS AND YOU GET YOUR FREE MIDI!!!!!!".

So yes, what is the point of MIDI? If you answer, please someone make an MIDI of this song kthx:

Last edited by Yoshi648; July 21, 2010 at 07:40:16 AM. Reason: Try reading the description of what the YT tag needs to work
Old July 21, 2010, 07:44:42 AM
Administrator

Wikipedia has a pretty good summary of what a MIDI is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), pronounced /ˈmɪdi/, is an industry-standard protocol defined in 1982[1] that enables electronic musical instruments such as keyboard controllers, computers, and other electronic equipment to communicate, control, and synchronize with each other. MIDI allows computers, synthesizers, MIDI controllers, sound cards, samplers and drum machines to control one another, and to exchange system data. MIDI does not transmit an audio signal or media — it transmits event messages such as the pitch and intensity of musical notes to play, control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato and panning, cues, and clock signals to set the tempo. As an electronic protocol, it is notable for its widespread adoption throughout the music industry.
You can read more about it here, and if you are looking for video game MIDIs I highly recommend VG Music.

Last edited by Yoshi648; July 21, 2010 at 07:45:35 AM.
Old July 21, 2010, 05:54:35 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
I highly recommend VG Music.
But no one's made an MIDI of the song I provided.
Old July 23, 2010, 05:45:16 PM
Kyurem

The point of MIDI? Let's take three questions from VG Music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG Music
MIDI sucks.

No it doesn't. Also, that's a statement, not a question. Try rephrasing that in the form of a question.

Why does MIDI suck?

As I responded to the statement above, MIDI doesn't suck. If MIDI sucked, it would not have been around for as long as it has, nor would it have become the standard that it is. I know of no other standard that is so versatile and portable and that can be used by such a wide range of equipment as MIDI. MIDI allows a single person with a single measly keyboard to produce the sound of a single piano, a full rock band, or an entire orchestra, as well as give that person full control over the entire sound. There are three things that might suck, but MIDI isn't one of them.
The first thing is you, but I don't want to be insulting, so I won't dwell on that one, as it probably isn't the case anyway.

The second thing is your sound card. This is the most likely possibility. If your computer is like most computers, your soundcard is probably one of the most overlooked pieces of hardware in it. You need more RAM, you need a faster processor, you need more hard drive space, these things you notice, but your sound card works in games just as well as it did the day you got your computer. That's the problem. Many people with older systems or recycled soundcards will have a Sound Blaster 16 (or compatible) card in their system. A standard SB16 uses FM synthesis for MIDI, and that is what sucks. FM makes most drums sound identical to the seashore instrument, makes the gunshot sound like a drum, and makes most every other instrument sound horrible and not even close to what it should (Except for the Square wave, which it does quite accurately). If this is the case, not all is lost for you. There is something called wavetable that does a very good job at banishing the evils of FM. Instead of synthesizing instruments like FM does, wavetable plays actual instrument samples. The quality of the wavetable relies heavily on the quality of the samples, however, but you are almost guaranteed to get a better sound than FM (If you don't, complain to the person/company you got it from). You have several options on getting wavetable on your computer. The simplest (and cheapest) option is a software wavetable emulator (Addressed in a later question). But, if you have a little extra money, it would probably be best to upgrade to a Wavetable sound card. I have seen them for less than $30. Newer computers should come with wavetable already, either in the form of an actual card or through something such as the Microsoft Music Synth. These are of varying quality, but all should sound better than FM.

The third possibility is that the file itself is no good. A MIDI file is not a direct translation of the song, so something may be lost in the MIDI version. Usually this loss is ignorable (The flute doesn't sound quite right, the guitar hits the wrong note every time, the piano is too loud), but occasionally I have heard songs that have made me wonder if the sequencer was completely deaf when they sequenced it. These files transcend the differences between FM and wavetable or the differences between particular sound cards, these files are bad all around.

If even after all of this you still think MIDI sucks, well, you are entitled to that opinion, but don't come complaining to us about it. If you don't like them, don't download MIDI files and don't visit this site. It's that simple. MIDI was not designed to do some of the things you're probably thinking it should (Voices are an example). Complaining about that would be like yelling at a dog because it can't fly.

What can/can't MIDI do, anyway?

Well, General MIDI can do a good many things, include reproduce pretty much any piece of music played on a wide variety of traditional instruments and capable of being scored using traditional means. It's great for anything from pretending to be a garage rock band to pretending to be a full symphony. It has major instruments from the Western Classical music side of things, through Africa and India, to East Asia. As far as instruments go, if you want it, it's probably there (Or at least a close enough replacement). That's where its main weakness comes in. While it does the instruments it contains rather well, it mainly sticks to instruments. It has a few synth sounds, but outside of the square wave and a few others, the sound of them changes so drastically between devices so as to make them useless for anything that's going to be played elsewhere. So, however ironic it is, the greatest weakness of General MIDI is its inability to handle Synth/Electronic music well. General MIDI also doesn't do sound effects (Outside of a few rather useless ones, included in the standard). That means it doesn't do voices, either. Many people use this to point at MIDI and label it inferior. To them, I ask: "Can your car fly? Can your car float?" The answer is, of course (For most circumstances), "No." Does that make your car inferior to a boat or an airplane? No. They were designed to do totally different things. MIDI was designed to connect a number of devices and coordinate playback and recording and facilitate editing. It does that well. I'd like to see a digital audio format do that. So, by the same logic that MIDI sucks, MP3 sucks because you can't change that electric guitar to an oboe in the middle of a song.

Last edited by NismoZ; July 23, 2010 at 05:46:58 PM.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:00:28 PM
Haxorus

Well I'd REAAALLLLY like someone to make an MIDI of the song I requested...
Old July 25, 2010, 09:47:40 PM
Regigigas

*make a MIDI
Fix'd 4 grammars
Also I dun have MIDI software so sorry bout dat.
Old July 27, 2010, 05:00:56 PM
Haxorus

Well when I think of "MIDI" I think of "M.I.D.I." so that's why I say "an" and not "a"...

SO UHH WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, VELOCIRAPTOR?
Old July 27, 2010, 06:33:58 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternateshadow300 View Post
SO UHH WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, VELOCIRAPTOR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), pronounced /ˈmɪdi/

Last edited by NismoZ; July 27, 2010 at 06:34:23 PM.
Old July 31, 2010, 11:51:10 PM
Charizard

it is to show what the song sounds like
Old August 1, 2010, 12:26:07 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam (Chomp) View Post
it is to show what the song sounds like
You don't read the thread before replying, do you?
Old August 1, 2010, 12:32:11 PM
Landorus

A MIDI is a music file right?
Old August 1, 2010, 03:11:05 PM
Shaymin

Since MIDI's are essentially just a type of sound file you can use an audio file converter to make that song into a MIDI file, or you could arrange your own version of that song in a composer program that writes in MIDI files.

In the Mario Paint Composer community it's common practice for people to use MIDIs as sheet music of sorts.
Old August 1, 2010, 04:17:21 PM
Volcarona

MIDI files are not sound files, they are instructions to the device. A program called AmazingMIDI can transcribe from WAV to MIDI, but only one instrument at a time. If you want a MIDI file of a song with multiple tracks and don't have each individual track you must arrange it in a MIDI sequencer.
Old August 2, 2010, 02:16:11 PM
Giratina

SO BASICALLY a MIDI meant to be a perfect sound file?
Old August 2, 2010, 02:26:09 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
SO BASICALLY a MIDI meant to be a perfect sound file?
Erm...

No...

Not even close. You can't have speech, and the instruments aren't great quality most of the time.
Old August 2, 2010, 02:58:33 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Erm...

No...

Not even close. You can't have speech, and the instruments aren't great quality most of the time.
Then what's the point of it? Nostalgia for the SNES days?
Old August 2, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
Volcarona

Yoshi and Nismo both provided quotes that explain the purpose of MIDI. The sound is produced by the device that is playing the file, and the reason MIDI files don't sound too great most of the time is because most of the time they're played through computer sound cards, which are usually okay at best for this purpose. If I recall correctly, Cat uses MIDI files along with a Roland keyboard to make his remixes.
Oh, and the reason speech can't be used is that they're not sound files. It's hilarious that in you posted "SO BASICALLY a MIDI meant to be a perfect sound file?" right after I said "MIDI files are not sound files", Jared. In the case that you're not being serious here I'll destroy you kthx.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:01:57 PM
Giratina

Those quotes merely stated how MIDIs work, not their uses in programs and games.

Also, it is a file that contains instructions for making sound. That is a sound file.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:48:12 PM
Volcarona

It doesn't contain any sound. That is not a sound file by my definition.
Quote:
MIDI allows computers, synthesizers, MIDI controllers, sound cards, samplers and drum machines to control one another, and to exchange system data.
Quote:
MIDI allows a single person with a single measly keyboard to produce the sound of a single piano, a full rock band, or an entire orchestra, as well as give that person full control over the entire sound.
Quote:
General MIDI can do a good many things, include reproduce pretty much any piece of music played on a wide variety of traditional instruments and capable of being scored using traditional means.
A person cannot play a song perfectly every time, and a recording isn't nearly as versatile as a simple set of instructions. One can't replace an instrument in a recording with another, and one can't make changes to the music without having to make another recording.

Last edited by piexing; August 2, 2010 at 04:48:27 PM.