Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Victory Road Network Support
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Victory Road Network Support Suggestions? Errors? Comments? Questions?

Search this Thread
Old January 4, 2011, 04:19:31 PM
Charizard

Default Can we do something about the chat box?

It's annoying being on the main page and having it move up-and-down because of it. Can't you put it at the bottom, or have to enable it or something?
Old January 4, 2011, 07:26:51 PM
Regigigas

I second this. I think it happens in the program, too, and it annoys me when I want to read earlier posts.
Old January 4, 2011, 07:54:43 PM
Kyurem

Mind if I ask you to clarify? I read this mostly as you want it removed entirely from the main page of the forum, though AshArmy read it as though you were talking about an issue in the chat itself. ...I'm a bit confused now which it is.
Old January 4, 2011, 08:46:24 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
Mind if I ask you to clarify? I read this mostly as you want it removed entirely from the main page of the forum, though AshArmy read it as though you were talking about an issue in the chat itself. ...I'm a bit confused now which it is.
When the chat refreshes it jumps back to the newest posts. Make sense?
Old January 5, 2011, 12:48:21 AM
Charizard

Yeah, when it says "Refreshing Messages," it extends the page very slightly, which makes it sort of slowly bounce up-and-down as it appears and disappears.
Old January 5, 2011, 05:21:58 AM
Regigigas

Have you tried the full version of the chat? The problem's nowhere near as bad since more of the chat shows at one time:

http://www.victoryroad.net/misc.php?do=cchatbox
Old January 5, 2011, 05:54:18 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Have you tried the full version of the chat? The problem's nowhere near as bad since more of the chat shows at one time:

http://www.victoryroad.net/misc.php?do=cchatbox
Or download the chat program which has a feature that allows you to pause the chat from refreshing, that way you could pause the chat and read up without having to worry about it refreshing and shifting you down.
Old January 5, 2011, 07:17:40 AM
Giratina

Whoah, we're on about two different issues here.

AshArmy's talking about the fact that when you scroll up on the chat, or try to highlight something and the chat refreshes, it shifts the scroll bar back to the bottom (Which is annoying).

Mezase Master is talking about the fact that when the chat refreshes on the index page the "Refreshing Messages" thingy under the bit where you type nudges the whole page down a few pixels, and then back up (Which is also annoying).

Last edited by Ningamer; January 5, 2011 at 07:19:34 AM.
Old January 5, 2011, 07:25:31 AM
Shaymin

If you could allow me to clarify before deleting my posts... even though both Shade and Jad said what I did anyway...

The chat bump caused are due to the constant refreshing the chat does to prevent dead refresh. (Which usually happens anyway.) However, scrolling up to view the chat shouldn't be that much of a problem if you're using either A. the expanded, full chatbox, or B. the chat program.
Old January 5, 2011, 07:59:25 AM
Regigigas

Maybe both of the issues can be fixed. And yes, it's still a problem despite being on a 1366x768 resolution :/
Old January 5, 2011, 01:05:19 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezase Master View Post
Yeah, when it says "Refreshing Messages," it extends the page very slightly, which makes it sort of slowly bounce up-and-down as it appears and disappears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Whoah, we're on about two different issues here.

AshArmy's talking about the fact that when you scroll up on the chat, or try to highlight something and the chat refreshes, it shifts the scroll bar back to the bottom (Which is annoying).

Mezase Master is talking about the fact that when the chat refreshes on the index page the "Refreshing Messages" thingy under the bit where you type nudges the whole page down a few pixels, and then back up (Which is also annoying).
THANK YOU! You are now my favorite.

(How the heck do only two people read that right? I mean, I wasn't confused at all - and somehow 5 other people all assumed something else.)

The issue itself is not something I am capable of taking care of - I would recommend petitioning for its removal on the front page, and I have had the issue myself several times. In the meantime, I think clicking would hide the chat and solve the issue. At least its a possible fix.
Old January 5, 2011, 01:53:37 PM
Kyurem

Both issues rather annoy me. A solution for Mezase's issue would be - I'm assuming - the staff changing the height of the text area to be a couple of pixels smaller, while keeping the height of the frame, or vice-versa. A solution for Ash's issue is to click the scroll bar to scroll. While annoying, as soon as you move the cursor a pixel after a refresh, it re-scrolls.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:06:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
The issue itself is not something I am capable of taking care of - I would recommend petitioning for its removal on the front page, and I have had the issue myself several times.
You and I both know very well that it will be removed from the front page once VRIM is out.

Speaking of VRIM, as the way it's currently programmed, it handles highlighting in a much different way, and copying is much easier. As for scrolling to the bottom, I'll see what I can do.

As Freeze said, click the little minimize icon in the top-right corner of the chat box to hide it, causing that "bouncing" to not occur.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:11:34 PM
Charizard

Oh yeah, hiding the chat fixed it. Can't believe I overlooked that, thanks!
Old January 6, 2011, 09:38:54 PM
Administrator

Freeze said he pinpointed the chat on the forum homepage (visible to everyone logged in, not just those chatting) as the cause of a lot of slowness on the site. To reduce the load, I have removed it from there, and it can only be found from the ChatBox Full link at the top and through the program.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 6, 2011 at 09:40:46 PM.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:44:19 PM
Charizard

Even better, thank you!
Old January 6, 2011, 09:52:40 PM
Administrator

You're welcome. It seems like the site is already a bit faster, which means that yet another silly thing really cost in the end.