Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 9, 2012, 06:59:06 AM
Kyurem

Default Is there such a thing as too much mobile progress?

We have become accustomed to high PPI (pixels per inch) screens these days. I guess everyone at this point should know about the "Retina" displays in the newest iPhones and iPads, huh? One thing is obvious, and mobile devices are aiming for even higher PPI.

High PPI is a nice thing, but beneath the prettiness of not being able to discern the pixels in the screen, we're actually making our devices use even more power to drive a screen with four times the amount of pixels. Do we really need awkwardly high-end components in our mobile devices? Our batteries are not lasting as long as they should these days, and charging times are getting longer given battery size increases. Battery technology seems to have stagnated...

Im not even sure whether it's a good idea to keep pushing it higher... Not when we don't really have the batteries to give them the chops. Sure, having the screen look like print is a great thing, but is it beneficial to anything else? Electronic content? Web pages? We have still got many things optimized for low-PPI computer displays today.

I'm personally very happy with the low 200s that my Lumia 900 achieves, but who knows... One thing for sure is that maybe we should stop this race of pointlessness.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:08:59 AM
Giratina

As much as I like all these technological advances, I think phones can stay put where we're at. While we're not at true 4G speeds yet, the screens look amazing, but the batteries just aren't up to it. Somehow, those are the advances we need and also the ones being ignored. If we upgrade hardware advances and put more strain on the same type of battery and still expect it to maintain a long lasting battery life, I think that's just silly. My phone looks great, and it's not even one of the really good ones. If it seems to have better graphics than the Wii, I think it's good enough.