Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 18, 2012, 05:56:55 AM
Kyurem

Default Say, if you were forced to not use your main operating system on your computer...

...and you have to use some other operating system on your computer. Anything goes, as long as it's not your current operating system.

For Windows users, that would mean that one is able to use, for example, OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, Chrome OS, whatever, just no version of Windows, ever.

For OS X, that would mean that the user is locked out from any version of Macintosh operating systems, and have to settle with Windows or any other UNIX-based OS, and so on.

You know the drill for other operating systems. Now, what would you pick?

If I am unable to use Windows, I'd settle for OS X. If I can use neither, well, I'll be in a bind, no? If anything, I'll then just go for Android...
Old July 18, 2012, 06:54:07 AM
Shaymin

I would go Ubuntu. I always have liked saying the name.

(You guys! I just noticed the M and N are next to each other on a keyboard, and also in the alphabet!)

But I dont know much about it. My friend says that it isn't that great and a little complicated. But so is life.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:58:27 AM
Regigigas

I'd agree with Twiggy. I'm a PC guy myself, but if I were completely unable to use Windows, I would very quickly jump on the Mac Bandwagon and get OS X.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:06:08 AM
Volcarona

I am a Windows type of person, but if I were left with no choice what so ever to leave Windows behind then I'd most likely go with Ubuntu. This is because I have a friend who showed me some basics on it on both the graphic interface of it and the ol' code-only style of it as well. But I never heard of the Chrome OS, so I might give that one a go before Ubuntu in this situation.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:08:55 AM
Kyurem

I'm a Mac guy and I was somewhat forced to use Windows so of course I would jump straight to OS X.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:49:49 AM
Giratina

I'd probably go for Ubuntu. I've used it before, it's pretty simple, and it has a Windows emulator so you can still use your favorite programs without having to either search the deepest parts of the internet for a Linux version or wait months for the developers to make a Linux version. From what I know of, Mac systems are meant for the creative minds - digital art, various forms of music, and even video production. I'm not really skilled in making any of those things, so Mac wouldn't be for me.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:05:15 PM
Rayquaza

I have been using Windows since I first started using a computer; when I was four. It would be extremely hard getting used to any other operating system, but I guess I would compromise and use OS X, since it is more user friendly than the other alternatives.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:59:22 PM
Giratina

Although I've been using a PC since I was born, I have tried out Macs before. While it still feels weird getting used to OS X, I know people with Macs, and they could always enlighten me on how to work the insides and out. (And then later I'll steal their computers, but that's another story for another day.)
Old July 18, 2012, 03:46:42 PM
Administrator

Eww, Ubuntu... Ubuntu is awful now, but it used to be great. And Chrome OS is a train wreck that shouldn't exist.

I'd probably try out various distributions of Linux based on Unbuntu, like Linux Mint or Kubuntu...just not Ubuntu itself, or OS X.
Old July 18, 2012, 03:53:31 PM
Regigigas

Okay, HOLD ON A MINUTE.
Am I reading this right? "Fedora" is an OS type?
Alright, I don't even CARE if it's a horrible OS in reality, I'm changing my answer to Fedora.
Old July 18, 2012, 05:24:52 PM
Shaymin

I'm a Windows gal, but I do prefer OS X. If I were to be specific, I'd tooootally go for OS X Lion! Rawr.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:57:03 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuvatTenlii View Post
Okay, HOLD ON A MINUTE.
Am I reading this right? "Fedora" is an OS type?
Alright, I don't even CARE if it's a horrible OS in reality, I'm changing my answer to Fedora.
Remember the consumer version of Red Hat Linux? That'd be it.

I haven't even tried it out yet,though.
Old July 19, 2012, 06:39:17 AM
Charizard

I've used an OS X in my Vocational School before, so I honestly wouldn't mind using one of those again if I didn't have my current Laptop.
Old July 19, 2012, 10:32:07 AM
Haxorus

I've had a little bit of experience with a Mac, but my strong area is Microsoft Windows.

Speaking of...the college class I'm going into is going to have 100% brand new OS X's. I know that because I was in the incomplete classroom a few weeks ago and I just saw around 20 of them, only a few of them out of the box.

I don't want to uninstall Windows 7 from my laptop because I'm sure everything I need for the program is on there. And if I was required to, I'd make use of the Macs in there.

Last edited by GTP_NickSkyline; July 23, 2012 at 09:21:47 PM.