Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 17, 2012, 10:21:20 AM
Haxorus

Default Weird blocks of text?

Okay, so my computer has been displaying a bunch of random squares on things like youtube comments and I don't think they are supposed to be there. Is my computer just glitching out, or is there some kind of symbol or something that isn't showing up? I took a picture of it just in case you needed to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	errer.PNG
Views:	757
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	3460

And as you see, EVERY comment has a block in it. Can anyone help?

I use Windows XP, by the way.
Old August 17, 2012, 10:38:48 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimazone View Post
Okay, so my computer has been displaying a bunch of random squares on things like youtube comments and I don't think they are supposed to be there. Is my computer just glitching out, or is there some kind of symbol or something that isn't showing up? I took a picture of it just in case you needed to see.

Attachment 3460

And as you see, EVERY comment has a block in it. Can anyone help?

I use Windows XP, by the way.
Encoding, missing font data, try using a different browser... and setting the encoding to auto-detection wherever possible. That said, it shouldn't happen spontaneously... What browser?

(These blocks appear when a character does not have a representation within the specified font and all fallback fonts)

Last edited by Twiggy; August 17, 2012 at 10:39:29 AM.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:53:20 AM
Rayquaza

I have seen these blocks in twitter. I viewed twitter using my phone and these blocks turned out to be emoticons.
Old August 17, 2012, 12:20:04 PM
Regigigas

There's a block in like every comment. Whenever I copy and paste one into a text box, it either shows up as a block or is a blank character. Sometimes, it makes an empty space comparable to a tab in MS Word.
Old August 17, 2012, 12:54:08 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Encoding, missing font data, try using a different browser... and setting the encoding to auto-detection wherever possible. That said, it shouldn't happen spontaneously... What browser?

(These blocks appear when a character does not have a representation within the specified font and all fallback fonts)
I was using google Chrome. It only started doing this recently though. I switched to auto detect and it still seems to be doing it.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:57:48 PM
Regigigas

I haven't ever seen these blocks recently but I think with our old computer sometimes with emoticons but I don't have it happen anymore
Old August 17, 2012, 08:58:25 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimazone View Post
I was using google Chrome. It only started doing this recently though. I switched to auto detect and it still seems to be doing it.
One of the things that you do to isolate the cause: Switch browsers for now. If the blocks disappear in anything else, reinstall Google Chrome.