Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 6, 2012, 11:15:30 AM
Administrator

Default Tablets

So, who here has one of these oversized phones/undersized laptops? I just got one a few days ago, and apart from its dreadful Wi-Fi antenna and getting used to capacitive touch screens, I like it. It's incredibly light (about half a kilogram or around a pound with the case) and comfortable to hold. It's a Novo 7 Tornados, by a low-cost Chinese brand, Ainol (that's aye-nahl), so it's not quite as nice as, say, the Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad.

I originally bought it for a do-it-yourself boombox project, but I've gotten distracted by many other features.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 6, 2012 at 11:16:05 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:56:56 PM
Haxorus

The only two things in my household that are tablets right now is an iPad and a Kindle Fire. I like the Kindle, but the iPad is a little faster and more non-laggy. The kindle doesn't have much on it, but it's one of those things that when you try to open up an app, it doesn't let you open it and say that there was an error and can't open.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:13:40 PM
Giratina

I don't have a tablet, as they don't appeal to me much at all. I have a working iPod, and excellent phone, and an amazing laptop. What use could I have for a tablet? However, my mom does have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0. It looks okay, and it runs well, I guess. I don't like it much because it doesn't support the official Tetris app.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:20:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I don't like it much because it doesn't support the official Tetris app.
Off-topic, but that app is rather poorly designed. It's hard to use on a large screen.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:22:02 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pichu62 View Post
I like the Kindle, but the iPad is a little faster and more non-laggy.
The Kindle is shinier though. x3

As for myself, I'm in the same boat as Turt. When a simple mobile device is enough for me, I don't see much use.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:37:51 PM
Shaymin

I have a Kindle Fire. It is mainly for reading, view my instrumental music in a snap, and quickly viewing web pages. For me, it delivers! There are few things that it doesn't do that I would like it to. It is easy to use and has average audio, so nothing special (and I wasn't expecting something special). It also has another great thing and that is the Sketchpad Pro App. It is only 2 dollars and it is like using a pen and tablet for your computer it is great for both simple and complicated sketches. You can read more into that if you are interested, but those are the features that I like about the Kindle Fire.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:57:01 PM
Haxorus

I have an iPad (the original), since I don't like laptops (I find them too cumbersome and I dislike trackpads. I think that if I had a mouse with the laptop I might as well use my desktop). In my whole house, we have three for some reason. My dad has an iPad from work (he's in IT), we have a home one and then there's mine. The other two are the newest iPad. My parents like to use the for reading (I prefer physical books) and my brothers like playing Minecraft (if only I had enough space. ;~;) I like to use it for browsing the web and listening to music at home when I'm alone (since I only have an older iPod Nano). I used to use the apps a lot, but now that I've run out of space and I can't download apps I'd like to use. Why not just delete some others? Because I'm a packrat. *Sighs* I knew I should've gotten the 32 GB... I'm getting an iPhone soon (not sure if 4S or 5, though probably the former), so we'll see if I just end up using that more than my iPad.

... I used a lot of brackets for some reason.

EDIT: I just remembered that I actually prefer the shape (more square edges) and weight of my iPad over the newer ones. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm used to it though.

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; October 6, 2012 at 06:47:40 PM.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:55:28 PM
Kyurem

I've always wanted to have a tablet, but i think I don't really need one right now. Probably because I already have a capable smartphone and compact laptop, making the prospects of a tablet computer sound somewhat redundant. Not exactly what you want.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:00:00 PM
Administrator

Old October 6, 2012, 09:12:28 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
http://thedoghousediaries.com/comics/uncategorized/2012-09-12-92f7e97.png
Teehee. Tablets are meant to be portable. A kickstand and keyboard are good, but I'd rather have them as something integrated if I were looking for something like that. Something like Surface (RT).
Old October 6, 2012, 09:29:18 PM
Keldeo

I use a tablet somedays at school and that's simply becuase I have no need to carry around my laptop and it fills in nicely for what I need it for. Couple apps and browsing the internet, its andriod so means I can just hook up a USB keyboard so that's pretty kick. I still like my laptop better but I find that I actually have a use for a tablet, though just not an iPad as this Toshiba thrive seems to fill in quite nicely for me.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:51:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Teehee. Tablets are meant to be portable. A kickstand and keyboard are good, but I'd rather have them as something integrated if I were looking for something like that. Something like Surface (RT).
I liken the keyboard/mouse combo to laptop docks. They convert a less capable machine into something more capable only when needed. You can't exactly detach the keyboard on a laptop when you need it in a small space.
Old October 14, 2012, 05:03:39 AM
Kyurem

I caved in and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Whew. Finally, I don't have to look at a 4.3" screen when I'm out and about. Personally testing things out comes in very handy when it comes to tech purchases - no hands-on, no buy. Thank goodness. It's cheaper than the Nexus 7 (!) and came with a free 16 GB microSD card (!!).
Old October 14, 2012, 06:43:56 AM
Rayquaza

I don't like tablets. My dad offered once to buy me one, but I refused. I don't need one with an iPhone and a laptop. Plus, I prefer saving and then spending a good amount of money on an expensive, but useful Sony laptop, than to spend it on a tablet.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:19:39 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
I don't like tablets. My dad offered once to buy me one, but I refused. I don't need one with an iPhone and a laptop. Plus, I prefer saving and then spending a good amount of money on an expensive, but useful Sony laptop, than to spend it on a tablet.
You already have a laptop, huh? What is the screen size of the laptop?