Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 9, 2012, 06:33:03 AM
Kyurem

Default Wireless keyboards

My MacBook Air tends to get all toasty when I use the computer, and it's very awkward to stare at a half-closed lid when using my spiffy new IPS monitor, so I went out and bought a Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard.

I'm still getting used to typing on a completely different style of keyboard - there's now some elevation on the keyboard, there's more travel, there's no space between keys, the Control key placement... Well, at least I have a lot of time to get used to it.

I know that Microsoft makes quality keyboards, and although this may not look like it, the keyboard actually feels nice. A bit on the expensive side, but Bluetooth keyboards are already a mark-up from its wired cousins, so I guess I have to live with it. It also feels great to finally have standard PC-specific keys functional without too much keyboard-combination magic.

I think this will also make my life with Windows 8 or newer easier if I ever move from Windows 7

Apparently, it has full-size keys. Just have to get used to the lack of space between keys and maybe I'll stop typo'ing all my text.

Pictures for those interested:
1024x768 images    

Last edited by Twiggy; October 9, 2012 at 08:55:00 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:20:34 AM
Giratina

Never been a fan of wireless keyboards or wireless mice. It's not necessarily the delayed response time (although that is a factor seeing as I do use my computer for gaming), it's more of dealing with the batteries going out at the worst times. Although, I can see where it would be more helpful to have a wireless keyboard/mouse compared to a wired one, something like my brother's computer and monitor setup where the couch he sits on is a bit too far away from his computer to have a wired keyboard and mouse to reach.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:22:11 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Never been a fan of wireless keyboards or wireless mice. It's not necessarily the delayed response time (although that is a factor seeing as I do use my computer for gaming), it's more of dealing with the batteries going out at the worst times. Although, I can see where it would be more helpful to have a wireless keyboard/mouse compared to a wired one, something like my brother's computer and monitor setup where the couch he sits on is a bit too far away from his computer to have a wired keyboard and mouse to reach.
I'm pretty sure that modern Bluetooth keyboards are fast enough to work. I think that a pair of rechargables will do wonders... Besides, today's BT devices give you warnings about battery life.

As for me, it'd be because I'm running out of USB ports, and I don't want to have my desk look like a cabling nightmare.

Last edited by Twiggy; October 9, 2012 at 09:26:59 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:25:51 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I'm pretty sure that modern Bluetooth keyboards are fast enough to work. I think that a pair of rechargables will do wonders... Besides, today's BT devices give you warnings about battery life.

As for me, it'd be because I'm running out of USB ports, and I don't want to have my desk look like a cabling nightmare.
Even so, wired keyboards are preferred over wireless keyboards for the slightly faster response time and never having to worry over battery life. As for the USB slots, a computer built for gaming would have more than enough slots for the keyboard and mouse.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:00:45 PM
Giratina

I use a wireless keyboard for my computer, and I gotta say it's pretty great. Switching to a wired keyboard would feel too awkward for me, including mouse, because I like to move it around a lot. And the way my computer is placed, I wouldn't have much space to move it at all. I do have to say, it does have issues like skipping over large amounts of letters and sometimes keys refuse to work until I restart, bit it's still reliable. The mouse however... well, this is about keyboards.
Old October 16, 2012, 03:05:59 AM
Kyurem

I think I'm going to try pairing my Wedge Mobile Keyboard with the tablet that I just got. The soft leopard... I mean, keyboard's too finicky to work with. Hmm...
Old October 19, 2012, 07:34:58 AM
Mudkip

I have a wireless keyboard and I don't have any problems and I am a gamer.It is a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1 that's what it says on the back.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:37:20 PM
Administrator

I strongly prefer wired keyboards and mice, not only for the aforementioned response time, but they are a heck of a lot more reliable. Oh, and you don't need to replace the batteries in them.

However, I have a Logitech wireless keyboard with a built-in touchpad that is very convenient for a portable desktop recording center. As I barely use it and have to deal with wires each time it moves, the compact and wireless design makes it ideal.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 19, 2012 at 05:38:07 PM.