Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 23, 2013, 10:43:47 PM
Shaymin

Default Farewell THQ

I'm not sure how many of you here actually do care for this, But the publisher THQ has officially had it's assets sold and has unfortunately filed for a Chapter 11 case of Bankruptcy. A letter from the CEO to the employees states that by the 25th of January, their employment will be terminated from THQ.

What this means in a nutshell is that after the 25th of January... THQ will be no more.

The following companies have gone to the following publishers thus far:
- SEGA agreed to purchase Relic. (Company of Heroes and Dawn of War)
- Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition, (Saints Row) and the Metro series.
- Crytek agreed to purchase the Homefront series.
- Ubisoft agreed to purchase THQ Montreal HQ and the South Park game series. (Namely Stick of Truth.)
- Take-Two reported to be purchasing the WWE line of games and the "Evolve" Project
- Vigil Games(Darksiders) still has no buying and will be included with the Chapter 11 case until a buyer is found.

The current known in development games have the following fate to them:
- Company of Heroes 2 goes to SEGA, but no signs if changes will be made on it.
- Metro: Last Light and Saints Row 4 goes to Koch Media, parent company of Deep Silver, publishers of Dead Island.
- South Park: Stick of Truth goes to Ubisoft.
- Homefront 2: will be made by Crytek.

THQ has been known to publish many of those TV/Movie themed "Shovel ware" games. But it has been known to also publish some very high rated games.
It pains me to see this publisher go away. Not only because many of my favourites were published by THQ, but it's also pretty rare to see a whole publisher dissolve. Truly will be missed, and I hope some others will share my feelings for them.

Source
Letter to the Employees
Old January 23, 2013, 11:18:32 PM
Administrator

I won't say it's a huge loss, as they're at least passing the baton for the important game series. They were a good company, though. I still think Ubisoft takes the cake in the shovelware department.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:22:29 PM

Seeing as how I play WWE video games, this...intrigues me. I'm not as disappointed as you with THQ's demise, since I play only one series of games published by them. It will be interesting to see though how future games are developed by all these new companies.

I'm probably the only guy on this forum who enjoys professional wrestling.

Last edited by Cyrus; January 23, 2013 at 11:24:13 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:44:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Seeing as how I play WWE video games
My advice: don't touch any of the Smackdown vs. Raw PSP titles, particularly 2006.

I can't find the original video (the one shown in the corner), so this will have to do.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:52:18 AM
Kyurem

I suppose it's time for me to revisit the THQ games I have in my Steam library now. I wonder what will be the fate of Vigil... Man, I like Darksiders.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:15:51 AM
Giratina

My friend was actually rather excited to hear that Crytek has taken over development for Homefront. He was most excited about knowing that Homefront 2 will be using CryEngie 3 (which is what the Crysis series uses), so you can expect Homefront 2 to be on future GPU benchmarks.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:21:13 AM
Haxorus

I loved THQ. I really did. I noticed a lot of people who play video games didn't like them. I guess they didn't have very good customer service or something. I dunno, but their products have always fascinated me.
I grew up with them, so it'll be hard for me to see them disintegrate so swiftly. Their older work may not have been very good, despite me saying I grew up with them, but their newer work was fantastic. However it's a good thing they're giving their most prized franchises to other publishers.

Last edited by alternateshadow300; January 24, 2013 at 10:25:45 AM. Reason: Meant publishers, not developers
Old January 24, 2013, 11:36:56 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
- South Park: Stick of Truth goes to Ubisoft.
Well, there goes all the hope and anticipation I had for that game.
I kid, I'm sure Ubisoft can make this game great. After all, they've had success with other fantastic games based on popular TV shows and movies, like Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Avatar, and Beowulf.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:15:55 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
I'm probably the only guy on this forum who enjoys professional wrestling.
That is not professional wrestling at all... That's fake lol.

Anyways, I hope Saints Row will still turn out good with it's new company.. I love Saints Row, sometimes more than GTA (not graphic wise)
Old January 25, 2013, 08:40:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
That is not professional wrestling at all... That's fake lol.

Anyways, I hope Saints Row will still turn out good with it's new company.. I love Saints Row, sometimes more than GTA (not graphic wise)
I've known that it's fake for at least 6 years. :l It's still enjoyable to me.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:59:00 AM
Giratina

What other games does Take Two do? This is the first time I heard of 'em.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:23:32 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Chances are SR will be the same. THQ didn't develop it, they just published it. Volition developed the previous SR games, and they're still working on SR4. So don't worry.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:27:11 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternateshadow300 View Post
Chances are SR will be the same. THQ didn't develop it, they just published it. Volition developed the previous SR games, and they're still working on SR4. So don't worry.
That applies with most all of the rights that were sold. Most of the developers owned by THQ were sold off along with the IPs the Devs owned (I know the Homefront series is one exception because Kaos Studios, the devs to Homefront, no longer exist so Crytek UK is developing Homefront 2). I did hear there was some legal issues with the South Park game that was sold. From what I can remember, I believe it had to do with the South Park game's developer saying they were not owned by THQ and couldn't be sold off. I don't feel like searching up the details though.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:38:47 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Some of the bigger ones include Serious Sam, Grand Theft Auto and Duke Nukem. One of the games I played when I was younger that they did was Darkstone, a rogue-like RPG that introduced the aspect of your character aging as time passed.

I knew this would be the fate of THQ when there was a THQ bundle in a past Humble Bundle.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:48:00 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Some of the bigger ones include Serious Sam, Grand Theft Auto and Duke Nukem. One of the games I played when I was younger that they did was Darkstone, a rogue-like RPG that introduced the aspect of your character aging as time passed.

I knew this would be the fate of THQ when there was a THQ bundle in a past Humble Bundle.
Oh they made GTA and Duke Nukem?! Huh, well this shouldn't be too bad at all then

Last edited by Quadcentruo; January 26, 2013 at 03:43:45 AM. Reason: Two bad what?
Old January 26, 2013, 03:47:49 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Along with Serious Sam, Duke Nukem, and GTA, they've also worked on the Bioshock series, Bully, the Civilization series, L.A. Noire, MLB NBA NHL 2K series, Red Dead series, Borderlands series, and Max Payne series. They've worked on more, but these were the most stand-out to me.

Seems like Take Two and Rockstar get along quite well.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; January 26, 2013 at 03:48:17 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:46:45 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Along with Serious Sam, Duke Nukem, and GTA, they've also worked on the Bioshock series, Bully, the Civilization series, L.A. Noire, MLB NBA NHL 2K series, Red Dead series, Borderlands series, and Max Payne series. They've worked on more, but these were the most stand-out to me.

Seems like Take Two and Rockstar get along quite well.
OH GEEZ! they work so many of the good sports games, RED DEAD, CIV REVS, BORDERLANDS and BIOSHOCK! Omg, maybe I am just oblivious because I play so many of these games but have never seen Take Two xD
Old January 26, 2013, 09:01:47 AM
Servine

Volition was sold to Koch Media? Hopefully they'll revive the FreeSpace series, but I doubt it.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:26:34 PM
Haxorus

Aww man. I love(d) THQ. They always made/published games I enjoy(ed). I remember games from my earlier childhood like Spongebob: Revenge of The Flying Dutchman and Scooby Doo: Night of 100 Frights, and they produced one of my current favorite series, Darksiders. I hope someone purchases Vigil.