Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 30, 2013, 09:59:29 AM
Kyurem

Default Sometimes the 3DS does amazing stuff to someone's perception, huh?

I Am Stereoblind, But the 3DS Lets Me See the World as Others See It (Republished from Burning North)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kokoris
As silly as it may seem to get an existential epiphany out of a $200 plastic gadget, the apparent solidity of the tiny simulacra on that screen made them seem almost more "real" than the world around me, which looked suddenly flat by comparison. It didn't matter that they had three-digit polygon counts and textures that must have topped out at 512x512. I had never before perceived things as having volume, only a sort of surface area in terms of how much of my vision they took up. It was intoxicating. It was a glimpse into something that I immediately realized was part of everyone else's normal experience. This is how other people see the world all the time. There's nothing magical about the perception of depth.
It's a bit interesting to think about vision and stuff related to it, and sometimes, being able to perceive depth, even just depth in virtual reality, can be eye-opening to someone if they have never experienced it properly before in life.

(I keep thinking that this might belong elsewhere...)

Last edited by Twiggy; May 1, 2013 at 07:06:38 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:20:06 PM
Administrator

If that's the kind of reaction gotten out of 3DS, I've been hearing some amazing things about the Oculus Rift. For those who don't know, it's a virtual reality piece of headgear, similar in concept to the Virtual Boy and similar in design to various virtual reality concepts shown in movies, as well as that conceptual "Nintendo On" that some folks thought the Revolution (Wii) was going to be.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:42:04 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
If that's the kind of reaction gotten out of 3DS, I've been hearing some amazing things about the Oculus Rift. For those who don't know, it's a virtual reality piece of headgear, similar in concept to the Virtual Boy and similar in design to various virtual reality concepts shown in movies, as well as that conceptual "Nintendo On" that some folks thought the Revolution (Wii) was going to be.
Not to mention that the Oculus Rift supposedly gives minor amounts of physical feedback so it feels like you truly are in the game.
It's the reason why Valve put the command cl_first_person_uses_world_model in the Source Engine (this video should sum up what it does and should entertain you a bit), but this isn't the place to discuss the Rift.