Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 18, 2013, 01:06:28 AM
Keldeo

Default PlayStation 4, specs and more...

Alright first and most importantly the specs
--------------------------------------------------
|Specs|
---------
CPU: Low Power consumtion eight core x86-64 "Jaguar
GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next generation Radeon-based Graphics engine
Memory: 8GB GDDR5 unified RAM
Storage: Had Disk Drive (size TBA)
Optical Drive: BD 6cCAV/DVD 8xCAV (read only)
Input/output: USB 3.0, AUX
Communication: Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
A/V: HDMI, Analog-AV out, Digital output (optical)

Controller: I will find pictures to look at

--------------------------------
|Quick bit about the console|
--------------------------------
It's going to be the most social console (shudder) allowing you quick access to Facebook, along with allowing your friends to play your game remotely for you (you know for the difficult parts. (Why?)

The PS4 will be more open to developers and we will see free to play being a big part for this system.

Cloud and streaming services will make a big play on this console, along with an outreach to indie game developers to get them onboard already.

The ability to pause and move through the other features, gameplay, online surfing and such.

---------
|Games|
---------
(Discriptions to be added later)

Indie:
Counterspy (working tittle)
Doki-Doki Universe (working tittle)
Blacklight:Retribution
Primal Carnage: Gensis
Hohokum
The Witness

Regular Games:
Destiney (developed by Bungie)
Knack
Driveclub
In the Zone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information found in the GameInformer Magazine issue 242 June2013
(which I got today so tell me how its the June issue)
[I'll be adding more information from the magazine as the week progresses Stay tuned]
Old May 18, 2013, 07:06:27 AM
Giratina

The specs on this thing look ridiculous. I think they're really going a bit over-the-top trying to future-proof the PS4. When will a games console EVER need 8GB RAM? Not only that, it's GDDR5, stuff you only ever see in GPUs. The PS3 performs well enough with only 256MB!

I guess Sony want the PS4 to be able to multitask the hell out of its competitors. Some features on it seem pretty nice, but they don't interest me as a gamer and I dread to imagine the price of this.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:32:48 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
The specs on this thing look ridiculous. I think they're really going a bit over-the-top trying to future-proof the PS4. When will a games console EVER need 8GB RAM? Not only that, it's GDDR5, stuff you only ever see in GPUs.
If I remember correctly, there's a big problem with having GDDR5 in the RAM, especially in the PS4. There was an article on Tom's Hardware talking about the specs and they said something along the lines of the RAM has Graphics memory, which is a poor choice because it'll make the CPU calculate things slower because the memory is meant more for rendering graphics rather than calculating processes.

Also, the PS4 seems to be more like a computer in a console with these specs and features (you know, ability to connect to SSNs in an instant? I can do that on my computer while playing a game easily).

Aaaaand here's a picture of the controller:
Because images    

That little screen in the middle, from what I heard, is a touch-screen and allows you to connect to facebook in an instant... so it's pretty much a facebook button. The start and select buttons are shifted to the upper right and left parts of the center section respectively, which I think would be a bit awkward to press because of where it's located. There also seems to be a microphone and speaker on the front of the controller. Everything else is relatively the same with just a sleeker look.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:16:46 PM
Administrator

The specs look a little unbalanced, but there isn't much to say there. They remind me of a computer. At least they've stepped up the network to support 802.11n.

So...what's Sony gonna do when Facebook is barely used by gamers, and they've moved on to whatever the next big site will be? Maybe that's why they called it "share" instead of sticking a Facebook logo on it, so they can easily add some features to make PSN similar to Nintendo Network?

The part about allowing your friends to play your games...there goes any value in trophies. You and I know very well that people are just going to cheat by asking for help on forums and getting pros to play their games in exchange for in-game items/currency or real currency.

(I still personally find social integration to be very annoying when playing an engrossing single player game, as I've seen both on Xbox 360 and Steam. At least you can turn that stuff off by default.)
Old May 18, 2013, 01:09:14 PM
Rayquaza

^ If there's one thing I can't stand it's the use of Facebook in video games.

I hate having to constantly connect to the internet whenever I start my game making the loading process longer then it should be.
I hate the constant reminder and message to tell me if I want to share or not because I honestly could not give more of a crap.
I don't care about others achievements unless it's something really special.

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 18, 2013 at 01:09:33 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
Keldeo

We finally got so teaser on the hardware for the ps4, video can be found here.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/playsta...unveil-6408582
Old May 25, 2013, 01:01:25 PM
Regigigas

Gah, it bothers me that everything has to be able to do things with the internet in order to get sales. I know they have to make consoles like that to sell, but sometimes I wish they'd make a... I dunno, a VIDEO GAME console? Y'know, just for video games? T.T

Anyways, the technology is all high-tech and stuff. I really have no idea what most of that stuff is, lol.

Last edited by Sub-zero; May 25, 2013 at 01:01:50 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 02:15:24 AM
Administrator

It's a few days old and some of you may already know, but it is confirmed that the PS4 will allow playing used games without additional fees:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ock-used-games
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...yoshida-on-ps4

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 27, 2013 at 01:43:03 AM.