Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 23, 2010, 09:36:40 PM
Volcarona

Default What do you think should win game of the year?

For, me I guess it would a tie of Goldeneye 007, Sonic Colors, Kirby's Epic Yarn, or Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. I would say Super Mario Galaxy 2, but the game it's so short it's kinda dissapointing. Don't get me wrong, I love SMG2.(being a hardcore Mario fan and all) Anyways, what do you think deserves GOTY?
Old November 24, 2010, 03:13:41 AM
Giratina

I already know Fallout New Vegas is getting GOTY.
Old November 24, 2010, 07:18:25 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario227 View Post
For, me I guess it would a tie of Goldeneye 007

Don't get me wrong, GoldenEye's a great FPS, but I don't think it qualifies for a GotY. Although the single player campaign is extensively redone and much more satisfying, the online mode is too heavily borrowed from Activision's CoD games and other FPS games on the market do a better job at providing an online experience.

Sonic Colors

It's been released too late in the year to earn a GotY award.,

Kirby's Epic Yarn

"Again, as with Sonic Colors, it's not gonna have enough accolades to win a GotY. It IS a Kirby platformer, but the last platformer to win GotY was SMG.,

or Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

Do your research. TvC originally began life as a Japanese arcade game, made in 08, which was later ported to the Wii within the same year. Also, if it were to be included into polls, it should be known that the localized version is watered down from the Japanese version, Cross Generation of Heroes.

I would say Super Mario Galaxy 2, but the game it's so short it's kinda dissapointing.

>implying that getting 242 stars is "so short"

Just because you were able to 100% a game within a few days doesn't mean it's a short game. It just means you're really dedicated. Exhibit A- Metroid Other M. I beat it 100% within 8: 54:30 (hours/min/sec) and that was about three days after it was released.

Don't get me wrong, I love SMG2.(being a hardcore Mario fan and all) Anyways, what do you think deserves GOTY?

GotY by which gaming review outlet? SMG2 will definitely win GotY by most Nintendo reviewers (i.e. Nintendo Power, granted Other M, Epic Yarn and HGSS don't contest it heavily), while games like Reach will probably occupy the slots for most other factions.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; November 24, 2010 at 07:19:03 AM.
Old November 24, 2010, 07:51:43 AM
Volcarona

If Black and White was already relesed I think that would win.

But I think SMG2 should win it. I haven't played it yet, but I've played SMG and I know SMG2's going to be 2x better when I play it. That or HGSS.

Last edited by LucarioMario; November 24, 2010 at 07:52:01 AM.
Old November 24, 2010, 08:03:44 AM
Giratina

I say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is perhaps the biggest game qualified to win the Game of the Year title. It's beautifully designed, greatly renewed from its predecessor and has a very extensive amount of gameplay. Since all reviews gave it a positive feedback, it will most likely get the title for 2010.

Last edited by Shadow; November 24, 2010 at 08:04:45 AM.
Old November 24, 2010, 10:22:01 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
I say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is perhaps the biggest game qualified to win the Game of the Year title. It's beautifully designed, greatly renewed from its predecessor and has a very extensive amount of gameplay. Since all reviews gave it a positive feedback, it will most likely get the title for 2010.
^

Lite, you've got some good points. I think SMG2 will probably end up winning. It is perfection after all. Anyways, your points are good enough to see how SMG2 will win. If SMG won GOTY 3 years ago. Then, I think SMG2 should win this.
Old November 25, 2010, 02:39:56 PM
Giratina

I think Dead Rising 2 will win it because it is like Dead Rising 1 minus all the flaws. Smarter AI, the ability to combine weapons, better weapons, nice humor, nice story, lot of replay-ability. It is a very well-rounded game.

I hope Black Ops doesn't win because it really has no reason to, but unfortunately, everyone in my school seems to be going "OMG BLACK OPZ IZ TEH BEST GAME EVAR!!1!" and that is also how a lot of reviewers are as well.
Old November 25, 2010, 06:17:32 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
I think Dead Rising 2 will win it because it is like Dead Rising 1 minus all the flaws. Smarter AI, the ability to combine weapons, better weapons, nice humor, nice story, lot of replay-ability. It is a very well-rounded game.

I hope Black Ops doesn't win because it really has no reason to, but unfortunately, everyone in my school seems to be going "OMG BLACK OPZ IZ TEH BEST GAME EVAR!!1!" and that is also how a lot of reviewers are as well.
I don't even get how that game's addicting in the first place. Wow! You shoot people and get some worthless kill streak! Big whoop.

I'm telling you, they should really consider banning CoD in the US like they banned Pokemon from Sadurai Arabia (I believe one of the reasons was for "Possessing the minds of children." Hmm... Let's see how many kids are CoD addicts, shall we?).

Last edited by LucarioMario; November 25, 2010 at 06:17:54 PM.
Old November 26, 2010, 01:56:38 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's the case in my school, too. Pretty much all the students think it is the best game ever, but even with all this hubbub, I doubt it will be named the Game of the Year. After all, many people, including some reviewers and avid fans, said that the lag is absolutely disastrous. When compared to some other, highly qualified game like Super Mario Galaxy, the flaw will have an impact on the choice (or at least I believe so).

Last edited by Shadow; November 26, 2010 at 01:59:04 AM.
Old November 26, 2010, 02:26:52 AM
Giratina

Quote:
I don't think a COD game has ever gotten GOTY since the first one, so we're ok.
Old November 26, 2010, 02:33:07 AM
Rayquaza

I'm totally gonna go with Super Mario Galaxy 2 which has already received reception better then the last one which won quite a few simular awards.

I'm also willing to give Lite cookie now for not saying Other M.
Old November 26, 2010, 06:17:40 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
I don't think a COD game has ever gotten GOTY since the first one, so we're ok.
According to my friend, CoD 4 won game of the year in '07. But that isn't really saying much because there weren't a lot of good games in that year.

On in on-topic note, I still standby Dead Rising 2. It's a shame that so little people I know actually play it.
Old November 26, 2010, 01:28:39 PM
Giratina

If Valve would get off their lazy donkeys for once and finish Half Life 2 Episode 3 then that would be GOTY.
Old November 26, 2010, 10:04:17 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I'm totally gonna go with Super Mario Galaxy 2 which has already received reception better then the last one which won quite a few simular awards.

I'm also willing to give Lite cookie now for not saying Other M.
I DID say Other M, just not directly. Besides, in practicality, Other M didn't bring anything new to the gaming table (New and unique to the Metroid series, but not to gaming as a whole) so unless the world's gaming review boards are made of people exactly like me, Other M won't win any GotYs.
Old November 27, 2010, 03:30:54 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucarioMario View Post
If Black and White was already relesed I think that would win.
I would find that hard to believe. GOTY means it would get a 9.5 to 10 range. Such as Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, or even Halo Reach. Pokemon at least ranges around 8.5 to 9. (seeing on reviews) Therefore, making it impossible to even come close to GOTY.
Old November 27, 2010, 03:51:29 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario227 View Post
I would find that hard to believe. GOTY means it would get a 9.5 to 10 range. Such as Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, or even Halo Reach. Pokemon at least ranges around 8.5 to 9. (seeing on reviews) Therefore, making it impossible to even come close to GOTY.
What I have noticed about games and their scores is their scores are generally based on hype. Most of the high scoring games have a big hype about them. My theory is, reviewers are pressured by the public. If a game with a lot of hype really sucks, reviewers might rate it generously. Same goes on the opposite end - a game with low hype, but is quite nice, will be rated harsher. (But this is just a theory)

Hmm...
My thoughts    
I know I'm a bit off-topic here, but I find it quite necessary. Throughout the past few CoD releases, they have been at least nominated for GotY, but all of them were beat out by a better game (In MW2's case, it was InFamous (I think)). What I noticed about this year was, there wasn't a lot of big/awesome games. I fear that seeing as there aren't as many good games this year, a game that clearly doesn't deserve it will win it *COUGHblackopsCOUGH*.

I can't think of a ton of good games. As for the ones I CAN think of, they look like this - SMG2, Fable III, Dead Rising 2, KH:BbS... not a lot, right? If I remember correctly, the first two games had a lot of hype. I have yet to play SMG2, but for those who read my review of Fable III, you would know I find it to be fun. Dead Rising 2 didn't get as much hype as those two games, and KH:BBS... well... it is absolutely shunned by people around me.

Thinking it over, I can't really think of a game with a deserved 9.5 or higher.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 27, 2010 at 03:52:02 PM. Reason: Derp
Old November 27, 2010, 06:13:50 PM
Kyurem

Unfortunately, I just know a game like SMG2 or Epic Mickey or one of those games is gonna win. Not that I have anything against those games. I was never interested in Galaxy, and all the OMG IT'S SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 just pissed me off. I wasn't interested in Epic Mickey either, but this time I was just like "Oh **** the hype has started already."

But honestly, I can't find a game that's good enough for a GotY. There just is no 'perfect game', especially with the newer market (I swear, video games are getting worse as the consoles get better). There are a few older games that I think deserved it, Super Mario World for example, but these newer games just aren't good enough.

But I'm getting off-topic here. The point is, I have no opinion. The games aren't particularly good, and the best ones, in my opinion, are just about equal.

That's also why I look in NP's Playback every month. =P