Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 24, 2010, 11:24:32 AM
Giratina

Default Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Review)

ZzZz- Wha-?! Ugh, I've had this game for a while now, and why haven't I reviewed it yet? Oh right, I didn't review games at that time. So better late than never!

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars started off as an arcade game in Japan a little over two years ago or so. It contains characters from certain Capcom games and whatever Tatsunoko is. You will see some familiar faces, such as Ryu from Street Fighter, Chun-Li from Street Figher II, and Alex from Street Fighter III.

While I do think they might have added one too many Street fighter characters, they added plenty more characters to even it out. Some of the characters include Megaman Volnutt from Megaman Legends, Zero from Megaman X, and they even added Frank West from Dead Rising (which I later found out they put Frank West in the game instead of Phoenix Wright ).

Now to do some actual reviewing. TvC:UAS has the basic layout of an arcade fighter game, you can select Arcade mode, Versus mode if you have a friend over, Training to perfect those difficult combos, Shop, Gallery, and even Wi-Fi if you ever feel like finding out just how good those Japanese are at arcade games.

TvC:UAS plays just like Marvel vs. Capcom - you select any two characters you want, you fight as one and the other can support you and you can switch out whenever; you have combos which you probably wont be able to pull off unless you are Japanese or have too much time on your hands; and you have super attacks that pretty much give you free hits on opponents if they hit. As expected, they usually do a good amount of damage.

I really don't know how to jump into this next point, but I'm just going to go for it. The controllers. Capcom was nice enough to allow you to use the Gamecube controller, the Wiimote alone, and the Wiimote - Nunchuk combo. Personally, I find the Wiimote - Nunchuk to be the easiest to use for people who down-right suck at arcade fighters (which I would be one of them). But if your more advanced than mashing the "B" button, then I would recommend using the Wiimote alone or even the Gamecube controller.

Now for the controls themselves. Most of the time, the controls are simple - A to jab, B to use a ranged attack. But if you know what you are doing, you can use those simple controls to pull off combos that will blow your mind. Then again, I am talking about the Wiimote - Nunchuk. Something you will notice about the controls is that they can get quite complex with some of the characters, and my tip would be, think simple.

What I've noticed from experience is that this game tends to favor Tatsunoko over Capcom. What I mean is Tatsunoko characters' attacks are more powerful and they can pull off longer combos, and some of them have cheaper attacks. That kinda made me mad, but I just decided to deal with and ram them through a crowd of zombies with Frank.

I usually don't talk about bosses (wait... I've never had to the chance to), but this boss deserves to be talked about. I'm talking about the final boss in the arcade. This boss is incredibly cheap, he/she/it never gets knocked back, he/she/it's moves usually are super powerful and are in just the right time succession to keep you down for awhile. And the boss has three phases to it, each getting progressively cheaper as the fight rages on. Also, for those who are wondering, the boss is from Okami. I wont say who the boss is, you will just have to figure it out on your own.

My final words on this game are this:
-This is a fairly good game, it's a game meant for those who are a fan of arcade fighters and wanting a good game for the Wii.
-The controls are simple enough for the newbies/people who suck at arcade fighters, yet can be complex enough for the pros/Japanese to have fun with this game.
-The final boss is cheap.

Score: Category = Arcade fighter (Like my new scoring system?)
Character selection: 7.9 of 10 - There are some familiar faces, but there are too many unfamiliar ones, especially the Tatsunoko characters.
Music: 9 of 10 - I really like the music in some of the stages, but they aren't what you would expect for a fighter game. It seems out-of-place.
Controls: 7.5 of 10 - The controls are simple, but you will notice the CPU's doing stuff that the game wont tell you in the command chart (unlike some other fighter games.)
Replayability: 9.8 of 10 - This game is fun, but unless you like every character, you are going to get bored after playing the Arcade mode and the Survival mode.

Overall Score: 8.5 of 10 - This game is fun, it's a kind of like a substitute for Marvel vs. Capcom, but it needs more familiar characters and it needs to have a complete list of commands. I would highly recommend this game to anyone who misses Marvel vs. Capcom and who owns a Wii.
Old December 25, 2010, 09:45:36 AM
Keldeo

Boss....cheap? Naaaah.
Just run away and fire random junk at it. hit and retreat hit and retreat. Ya know the giant robots right? There considered low tier because ya can do the same crap to them.

And tatsunoko is just flashier then capcom, not more combo crazy. Believe it or not, frank is the most dangerous comboer. He can take the opponents entire life bar in one combo, but his mobility will make him struggle to get there. The tatsunoko cast is all from anime, so of course there gonna be really flashy. They can't really change much about some of the capcom characters like ryu, alex and chun as they have to stick to there classic ways of attacking with hadoukens and dragon punches and what not.

Good review though. I wanna play this game again. ;~; IM COMING FOR YA FRANK!

Last edited by Sunny; December 25, 2010 at 09:45:49 AM.
Old December 25, 2010, 09:51:35 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Boss....cheap? Naaaah.
Just run away and fire random junk at it. hit and retreat hit and retreat. Ya know the giant robots right? There considered low tier because ya can do the same crap to them.
The thing about the final boss is, if you try and run away, he will either jump and hit you with his hammer (1st phase), hit you with an electric tentacle and draw you closer (2nd phase), or just grab you and drain 3/4 of your health in one super hit (final phase).

Same goes with the giant Robots, but they can get knocked back and aren't as cheap. But I don't really care about tiers because all they do is make people think differently about their favorite characters. *coughbrawlcough*
Old December 25, 2010, 09:54:14 AM
Keldeo

Naaah he ain't that bad~! I never lost to him yet. I had to play against him like soooo much though to get the new characters. ._____.

*coughwellbrawlsimbalancedashellandmetaknightsatot aljerkletsblamehimcough*

Last edited by Sunny; December 25, 2010 at 09:54:54 AM.