Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 15, 2011, 01:19:40 PM
Giratina

Default General Computer/Technology Chat

Just a little place to put little facts, things you've noticed, or anything else you want to discuss that you don't think is worth a thread.

Like just half an hour ago, I had a good scare. I was playing STALKER Call of Pripyat and it was stuttering a bit, which isn't normal at the settings I put it on (I always check BG programs beforehand and they were normal). Suddenly my computer BSOD'd. Nothing new. Reboots and GRUB loads all right the way it normally does. Choose windows and... A Disk Read Error Occured. Pres CTRL+ALT+DEL to Restart.

ZOMFG EVERYONE FREAK OUT.

Booting into Ubuntu gives 5 minutes worth of error messages, but it still works.

As I'm freaking out I remember that my 7 install disk comes with a repair thing and that works.

Hooray for anticlimaxes.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:32:12 PM
Giratina

I little while ago I figured where to place the .minecraft folder to get Minecraft working at school. I'd actually known where to place it for a while, it was just the execution that was getting me. Then I figured it out. I may have found my way to Application Data via the search function in Windows Explorer (Which bypasses permissions for some reason), but our school network is so retarded to the point where you can't have any archives (That's stuff like .zips and .jars, the last of which is required for Minecraft). After playing around for a bit, I realised that our school files were actually migrated to the computer, and all files used are stored locally on the computer until you log out, when they're migrated back to the server again. Using this, and the Search function loophole, I put the .minecraft folder in C:\Documents and Settings\07HardyJ\Application Data, and finally Minecraft worked. The best part is, it can be run from any computer in the school. 'Cept those without OpenGL. Our school computers are so crap.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
Giratina

My tech school got new computers with i3's, 4 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 Professional
Old May 2, 2011, 02:37:07 PM
Giratina

It seems as though Google never deletes your mail. I set up Evolution today, downloaded the messages, and I'm getting account confirmation emails I deleted back in 2006.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:25:54 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryvcxz View Post
It seems as though Google never deletes your mail. I set up Evolution today, downloaded the messages, and I'm getting account confirmation emails I deleted back in 2006.
Yeah, I heard somewhere that everything you do on Google (Emails, search queries, etc.) are all stored at Google and are owned by Google for a long time (12 years or something like that). Most ISPs also own many things you do online.

Last edited by Ningamer; May 2, 2011 at 03:26:29 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:58:48 PM
Giratina

I'm so glad they don't actually sift through it much then .-.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:23:32 PM
Volcarona

I've got a GMail account from 2005 and I've never deleted any of my emails in my inbox. I've got emails from 2005 in there that haven't been deleted. The only stuff they do delete is anything in your Spam box that's older than 30 days.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:39:23 AM
Giratina

Please tell me Ubuntu is the only distro with the executable bit crap.

And please tell me there is a way to bypass it.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:47:01 AM
Giratina

I've been wanting to upgrade my RAM recently (From 4GB to 8GB, the maximum my machine can handle), which should improve both performance and graphics performance (using some ATI wizardry). I doubt I'd have to get RAM sticks with heat spreaders, so I'm going to settle with these, which are DDR2 PC2-6400 like my current RAM (Heat spreaders are, like, another Ł5. What a waste. Geez). Hopefully I can get these soon unless one of the computer braniacs around here give me a valid reason why I shouldn't.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:55:56 AM
Giratina

That seems like a good set. Never heard of the company though.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:46:40 PM
Giratina

Quote:
That seems like a good set. Never heard of the company though.
I've just looked up some reviews of them and they're pretty mixed. Quite a few people complained with them causing memory errors, crashes and not-working sticks, but these were mainly used on Macs. Most of the reviews for PCs were positive, though, and you can send them back and get a refund if there's a problem with them. I think I might have a shot at them.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:51:46 PM
Giratina

MACs are proprietary and most likely will make up errors if you put in parts that aren't certified by apple.
Old May 10, 2011, 03:09:20 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
MACs are proprietary and most likely will make up errors if you put in parts that aren't certified by apple.
Hrm... That sounds like another massive computer program and part manufacturer that doesn't like the idea of allowing their end users to expand upon a device which they paid for and should therefore be allowed to modify... /./Coughmicrosoftcough././
Old May 10, 2011, 03:48:22 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
Hrm... That sounds like another massive computer program and part manufacturer that doesn't like the idea of allowing their end users to expand upon a device which they paid for and should therefore be allowed to modify... /./Coughmicrosoftcough././
/./Coughsonycough././
Old May 10, 2011, 10:45:17 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Not nearly to the degree that apple does it.
Old May 10, 2011, 01:45:01 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Not nearly to the degree that apple does it.
(he is right)
Old May 12, 2011, 04:17:25 AM
Giratina

My school needs new Net+ books

Spoiler Alert:    

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; May 16, 2011 at 10:49:09 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:53:06 PM
Haxorus

Furry, do me a favor, even if I'm not a mod anymore....

Fit that image into a spoiler tag plz. :c It expands the window beyond normal capacity. Also, it's annoying.

But is that even legal, allowing people to use that out of date tech? ;_; Makes me weep.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:54:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
LOL'd at the old browser and MS website. Then I realized that it was IE4 and not IE6 and LOL'd more. xDDD
Old May 16, 2011, 10:49:31 AM
Giratina

Quote:
But is that even legal, allowing people to use that out of date tech? ;_; Makes me weep.
I wish it was.
Old June 11, 2011, 07:15:50 AM
Giratina

Well I feel stupid. I've been using the COPY command on my DOS computer for installing unpacked programs from CDs, and going through each sub-directory and COPY'ing it again, having to make the directory on the C: drive.

Well today I learn I could just use XCOPY and that'll go through all the folders for me.
Old June 12, 2011, 12:55:10 PM
Haxorus

I lold a little.

Only a little though. I know what it feels like to save everything the way you think it should, then find NOTHING when you look where you thought you put it.