Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 15, 2011, 07:28:10 PM
Haxorus

Question Windows Media Player REFUSES to open

This is really just driving me crazy. Because of this, I keep having to use Sony Vegas as my media player, which is ANNOYING because I have to wait 20 centuries for it to boot up, then it keeps asking me if I want to open the previous file, I say no, I open the media file I want to use, I play it, it crashes 1 minute into the preview, load Vegas back up, it asks me if I want to open the previous file, I say no, I open the media file I want to use, pick up where I left off, crashes AGAIN and so forth.

I believe I use Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista (I hate Vista). When I try to boot up Windows Media Player, it just goes busy for 1 second, then stops, I wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... no matter how long I wait, it does not open. It's really starting to get on my nerves, and I'm sick of using Vegas.

If anyone knows how, I'd (you should know what I'm about to say)highly appreciate it. Thanks a lot, guys.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:49:26 AM
Kyurem

After trying to load it up, try going into the task manager, going in the processes tab, end process "wmplayer.exe" and try again.

Last edited by NismoZ; May 16, 2011 at 06:49:51 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:08:58 AM
Haxorus

It doesn't show in the task manager. It does the same thing it does when it's busy. It shows for a second, then disappears.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:25:50 AM
Haxorus

Click me! ^-^

And your problems are solved. Winamp is flawless in terms of audio media playback. It uses less mem and capacity than Windows Media Player and iTunes, it has quite literally no playback and track queue lag, and it's free. It's also extremely, extremely customizable, easily accessible, less crashy/laggy/sucky than any other media player, and quite frankly, it's flawless.

All of your playlists from WMP are importable, with step-by-step instructions on how to do so in the Help/Guidance readme, and it'll play literally any audio file you can throw at it, including FLAC and au.m0/.mp4.

This thread can be locked now.

Last edited by .name//Technomancer; May 17, 2011 at 02:26:43 AM. Reason: Over-ambitious typing lead to a typo. >___>
Old May 17, 2011, 01:34:02 PM
Haxorus

k, uhh... This program is gorgeous. Yeah, lock this thread. I don't need Windows Media Player. I removed that intro though.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:06:57 PM
Haxorus

If you hit Deviantart in the Mods and Themes section, and the Winamp official website, you can literally find hundreds of add-ons and themes for Winamp.

I use Energy Amplifier by Vlda. Cool blue and gray theme, wicked settings and equalizer display, and it's just plain awesome.

The nice part is, if you have GIMP or another ant-alias and Alpha+ enabled image-editing software, you can make your own themes. D:
Old June 29, 2011, 07:18:32 PM
Cyndaquil

So yeah about this, are you guys saying that Winamp is way better than Windows Media Player?
(WHOOPS, Totally didn't see that this was posted a month ago....sorry..)

Last edited by BuizelMaster; June 29, 2011 at 07:19:26 PM. Reason: Added apology for bumping
Old June 30, 2011, 03:50:21 AM
Haxorus

Bumping is fine when the topic is relevant. As long as you're not reviving a thread which can die. This one needs to live, seeing as it's promoting Winamp.

And yes, I am implying Winamp is superior to not only WMP, but all other media players. You have no argument.
Old June 30, 2011, 11:34:27 AM
Cyndaquil

No arguement here just asking cause I've been using Media Player Classic - Home Media and it has been much better than WMP cause that player freezes on me alot and its slow.
Old July 9, 2011, 03:41:04 PM
Regigigas

Well, I use Windows Media Player 9- not 10, 11, or 12 (if there is one), but 9. Why? It just works. Included with Windows XP SP2, and I would only use Winamp/Media Player Classic if WMP doesn't play the codec, and it usually does. If I get my actual computer back up and my music is still intact, I'll post a screencap comparing the two WMP's. My honest opinion about Winamp is that I don't care- as long as my default media player works at a desirable performance, I see no need to get an external program to do it for me. Hate on me if you want :/