Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction > Fan Fiction and Literature
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 29, 2010, 01:14:36 PM
Kyurem

Default One-Shot Fanfiction Series: Video Games That Have No Plot At All

Okay, so I just thought I'd try this out. I'm making a series of one-shot fanfics based on video games that have no plot and generally don't work as a whole series (because when a game turns into a series, one of them has got to have a plot). Duck Hunt as an example. The fanfic I bring you now isn't Duck Hunt. It is...

Paperboy

I was standing outside the building for the Daily Sun newspaper. This could be the first paper route that I won't fail at, I thought. I walked inside.

"Come, have a seat!" The receptionist said, "So you want a job at the Daily Sun, eh?"

"Uh, yes, sir" I said back.

"Okay, okay, luckily we have a position open on Easy Street. You're fine with that, eh?"

"Easy Street? That sounds easy. Yeah, sure."

"Ah, but be warned, many have failed. You're route begins on Monday." He handed me a piece of paper. "This is a map of the current subscribers on Easy Street. Be sure to only deliver to them!"

"Alright, see ya round!" And with that, I walked out of the building.

When Monday came, I rode onto Easy Street on my bicycle and was looking at the map. So I just throw the newspapers onto their porch, huh? I thought. So I did. Suddenly I fell off of the sidewalk. I was trying to get back on when I hit a grate. My front wheel went in, and I fell right off my bike. Seems it's the smallest of hazards that can throw you off here. I got back on my bike, and started delivering again.

After a while, I noticed a burglar breaking into a non-subscriber's house. I tried throwing a newspaper at him, but I missed, and it went right through one of the windows. Ouch! Hey, at least it's a free newspaper. The burglar didn't seem to notice that a newspaper flew through the window right next to him, but his dog did, and it started chasing after me.

After I shook it off, I found an intersection. Crossing it shouldn't be too hard, I thought. I was wrong. I stopped before it, waiting for one of the cars to stop, but none of them did. Guess I just have to go for it. I found what looked to be a bigger gap, and went as fast as I could. I managed to cross both lanes without getting hit.

On the rest of the route, I noticed some other crazy things, such as RC cars, rolling tires, and a kid on a Big Wheel, which I barely managed to avoid. And eventually, I was done.

But then I noticed something written on the road: 'TRAINING COURSE'. Wondering what it was, I went ahead. First, I noticed targets, which I decided to throw newspapers at to practice my aim. I also noticed ramps. They were everywhere; near streams, in front of targets, and other various places. It's like the whole course was designed for paperboys. Weirdly, when I finished, there was a crowd waiting for me, like I was famous or something.

Later that day I went into the Daily Sun building. The same man was at the desk.

"So how did I do? Did I fail yet?" I said.

"Quite the opposite, actually! You did a perfect delivery today."

"Awesome. I'll keep it up tomorrow."

Tomorrow. I knew the route better, and, weirdly, all of the obstacles seemed the same. It was a bit harder, and I still fell a bit, but it was alright. Then came the training course. There were these weird red walls that appeared over the course. I hit one, and I guess my training session was over.

The rest of the week passed, and I started to know the obstacles better (unfortunately the training course got harder and harder). By the end of the week we had only lost a few subscribers, and the receptionist was happy as ever. I felt like I had done my job properly.

And so, the careers of many paperboys had come and gone at the Daily Sun, but one thing was for certain: this one was better than most others.