Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 7, 2010, 09:33:24 AM
Giratina

Default Pokémon Sprite Palette Swap Guide

Palette swapping is a form of re-coloring. It's when you take the colors of one Pokémon and put them on another. In this guide I'll show you how to do just that, using our two great friends Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
Step 1    
First thing's first: Get the two sprites that you want to palettes-swap, and open them up in MS Paint. You can find all the male front Pokémon sprites here. For this tutorial I've grabbed myself a Bulbasaur and a Squirtle. Place them close together and zoom in 8x.

Step 2    
Next up, selecting the colors. Using the dropper tool, left click on the lightest shade of the color that you want to replace; for example, I have left clicked the lightest shade of green on Bulbasaur.
Then, using the dropper tool again, right click the color that you want to replace with; for example, I have right clicked the lightest shade of blue on Squirtle.

Step 3    
Then select the eraser tool. This is your key tool to easy palette swapping. MS Paint has a nifty little feature that is: When you right click with the eraser selected, it replaces only the left-clicked color with the right-clicked one, nothing else. Using this, and the colors previously selected, right click and drag the eraser all over your first sprite, being sure to do the whole sprite. The result should look something like this:

Step 4    
Now do the same with the darker shades. Use the dropper tool to select the shade of color that is one shade below the highest. It's usually right next to the highest shade. Remember to left click the one you want to change, and right click the one you want to change it to.

Step 5    
Then you're using the eraser tool again to change the color. Just like in step 3, right click and drag your eraser over the whole sprite. Afterwards, you should get something like this:

Step 6    
Continue to finish every shade of that color. As you can see on my Bulbasaur, there's no green left on it's bulb.

Step 7    
Now that you've done all of one color, move on to the next! Some sprites only have one color (i.e. Ditto), so you won't always have to do another one. Doing the same as before, use the dropper to select the colors and the eraser to apply them.

Step 8    
If you want to, you can swap around and do the other sprite! As always, use the dropper to pick the colors and the eraser to place them. Your final product should look something like this:

Last edited by Ningamer; June 7, 2010 at 09:35:59 AM.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:48:06 AM
Administrator

Oh wow, I didn't know about that eraser thing. Definitely easier than manually going through each pixel and filling it in.

Also, YOU FORGOT TO CHANGE BULBASAUR'S EYES!

Wild CHARCARIO appeared!
Attached Images

Last edited by Yoshi648; June 7, 2010 at 10:15:03 AM.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:49:39 AM
Regigigas

You explained it so easily thanks(even though I know how to do it).
Old June 7, 2010, 09:53:13 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Also, YOU FORGOT TO CHANGE BULBASAUR'S EYES!
MRAH MRAH MRAH.
There weren't enough shades in Squirtle's eyes. I only realised his eyes were the same color as his shell after I'd made the guide. Also, if you look in the last two pictures, there's something wrong with the top of Bulbasaur's head. I'm lazy.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:41:59 AM
Giratina

How do you get the pictures from the site in step 1 to paint?
Old June 7, 2010, 11:03:01 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
How do you get the pictures from the site in step 1 to paint?
I copy them in to Paint, find one, copy it in to another Paint window, find the other, and copy that in to another Paint window.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:21:45 AM
Haxorus

That Bulbasaur looks like the overworld on Super Mario World after you beat all of the Star World levels.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:25:17 AM
Giratina

Nin, this is win. I use it to recolor after I splice.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:29:38 AM
Giratina

Thanks for the guide. I've always wondered how people swapped the colours of one Pokémon with another. I'll try to do it soon.