Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Gen VI Competitive Battling

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 31, 2013, 09:19:08 PM
Administrator

Default Overpowered Mega Evolutions

It's obvious that Speed Boost Blaziken is overpowered even without its Mega Stone, but what else becomes hax when Mega Evolved?

I can personally think of Mega Kangaskhan, and that's because I tried it out a little bit myself (but only in-game and not over Wi-Fi because its IVs were average). Its stats only boost slightly, but its Attack increases by 30. However, that's not what makes it evil. Its baby gets to perform the same attack as the parent, but at half power. This makes all of its attacks (ones that deal damage) break through Sturdy and Focus Sash. One of the moves it can learn (via TM98) is Power-Up Punch. It starts with a dismal 40 base attack power, but it has 100% accuracy and always gains one stage of Attack...per attack. That means that it gains two stages every turn. Its signature move, Dizzy Punch, has two chances (20% each) of causing confusion. And if all of that wasn't enough, it learns Outrage. (The only saving grace is it cannot hold a Lum Berry.)

Then there's Mega Mewtwo Y. Let's look at its base Special Attack with max IVs and EVs. 535. Make sure you read that right. With two Calm Minds, that can double to 1,070 and put its Special Defense at around 700, which is practically impregnable without a critical hit. With a high base speed, too, it's an intense sweeper. Special walls can fall to Psyshock. Mewtwo also starts with Aura Sphere and can learn Focus Blast too, so most dark types are out of luck. It has a weakness, however, and that's its Defense, which actually drops by 20 base points through Mega Evolution. The best counter would probably be a Sableye or Spiritomb with Foul Play.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 1, 2013 at 12:04:27 AM.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:28:42 PM
Celebi

I personally think Mega Mawile is too
Mawile comes out. Intimidate, Mega Evolves and Gets Huge Power with Base 125 and 95 Defenses. it also gets Sucker punch and Swords dance. off of a Huge Power Boosted Attack Stat. You can't take it down, and it gets a turn to set up a SD..with a Huge Power Boosted Attack stat...Sucker Punch even resisted will probably K.O a Pokemon unless it's Bulky.

Then there's the Obvious Mega Absol.
Long Story Short it gets Magic Bounce. and It can Actually use it's Ridiculous Special Move pool effectively now..and it Outspeeds Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken...Hitting them both Effectively w/ Base 150 and 115 Attack stats.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:32:59 PM
Regigigas

Did...did Garchomp really need a mega-evolution?
Seriously, it looks pretty cool, but visually it doesn't look like that much of an upgrade. Garchomp was already highly competitive in both singles and doubles in the last generation. Giving it another power-up just seems to be unnecessary.

Same applies to Tyranitar. Maybe I'm taking things too much at face value, but if a Pokemon's statistics already make it Pseudo-Legendary status (base stats add up to >=600), it really doesn't need a Mega.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:57:06 PM
Kyurem

Well gardevoir isnt as over powered than what u guys listed. Mega gengar maybe unless theres a counter to it?
Old October 31, 2013, 11:14:04 PM
Celebi

Aggron isn't overpowered, but surviving a STAB Aura Sphere from Megatwo X is something to brag about.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:53:16 AM
Charizard

Personally what's more important is to note that since there aren't that many Mega Evolutions there are extremely large tells that "yes, you will have to deal with this." And what's more is that not every Mega Evolution is foolproof. Yes, Mega Gengar is the bee's knees, but now it is weak to Ground, and so-forth. I found it very apt when explained in-game that a pokemon that can mega evolve is not always better than a pokemon than cannot.

I'm hopping aboard the Mega Manectric train for reasons I won't be telling as of yet
Old November 2, 2013, 12:07:13 PM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Well gardevoir isnt as over powered than what u guys listed. Mega gengar maybe unless theres a counter to it?
I was able to move before a Mega Gengar and one shot it witha Shadow Claw from a Lucario (not mega-evolved). So as long as you can outspeed it, you can defeat it quite easily.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:07:48 PM
Charizard

Mega Mawile. Definitely.
I mean, I love that it's incredibly useful and getting attention, but man, it's overpowered.

Appearentally, given max IV's and EV's as well as a good nature to boost attack, Mawile can have a total of 678 Attack. It's estimated her base Attack stat is 105, and thanks to the Mega Evolution, not only does she get a nice boost in Attack, Defense and Special Defense; MMawile gains the ability Huge Power. This means Attack is doubled.
This also means she is the #1 Pokemon when it comes to the Attack stat. Deoxys in Attack Form has 504.
As a Steel/Fairy type, Mawile is immune to Poison and Dragon type moves and resists Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Dark and her fellow Fairy.

Yeah, I guess having average speed isn't doing any favors.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:49:19 PM
Volcarona

Mega Scizor is the muuuuch worse Steel-type mega for sure, because of one thing.

STAB Bullet Punch. With guaranteed Technician boost. With a 150 base Attack stat. And most likely a Swords Dance beforehand to double the power of a 90-power Bullet Punch.

Since you probably have a turn while it sets up with Swords Dance to KO it, you might think you can beat it with a good attack. Too bad it has 150-100 defenses and can probably tank two good attacks. Through simulators, I believe you need at least 100-110 base defense to be able to take a single Bullet Punch, and that's only enough to get off one move. Better make it a good one...

Last edited by ThePokeMan; November 2, 2013 at 01:49:39 PM.
Old November 2, 2013, 02:10:51 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Mega Gengar has counters, but it doesn't care about counters too much. Lol.
The way i've been using mega Gengar online, is send Gengar out against something it can threaten, and activate mega evolution. Since shadow tag doesn't activate until he turns mega, most people will switch out and let mega gengar get a free attack on whatever comes in. When they switch to something that counters gengar, then you switch him out as well.

Now you have a beastly revenge killer you can send out at any time to trap pokemon it can KO.

Pretty neat stuff.

Regardless, I hope a lot of mega remain legal. It's kinda neat, because you can only have one on your team per battle, so like, everyone has a trump card.

Last edited by Sunny; November 2, 2013 at 02:11:31 PM.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:53:06 PM
Charizard

I honestly feel that MegaMewtwo X was a bit unnecessary, in addition to it being VERY unexpected on my end.

Gaining Gallade's Typing?
Shown when we clearly believed that MegaMewtwo Y was the sole Mego-Evo?
I can't exactly remember what else it has in store...

My only thing good with it is that the design looks better compared to Y's, in my opinion.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:10:25 PM
Regigigas

For Mega-Mawile, I think we may see more Dugtrio's on teams. Just a guess. Or Sand Rush Excadrill.

I agree with most, I don't understand why they gave psuedo-legandary Pokemon Megas (and a Legandary o.o), but it is what it is. Tyranitar, Garchomp, Lati-twins... Really? Also, I think Fairy has become the new sub for the Dragon type offensively. Hits everything but Steel, Poison, and Fire. 2 of those types don't really have tanks plus an immunity.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:14:47 PM
Giratina

Sand Rush Excadrill is a maybe. It's currently Uber since we don't have a Gen VI tier list yet, and not many train Ubers. But because of the weather nerf they might change their minds. Please... Excadrill is my favorite Ground type and I wanna use it freely again...

Mega Evolutions confuse me. I was told that they were to give weaker Pokemon a boost. I mostly see the most popular or powerful Pokemon given unfair boosts with few drawbacks. I just don't hope those get sent to Ubers as well, then that means I can't use freely anymore either.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:03:46 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxImpetus View Post
I personally think Mega Mawile is too
Mawile comes out. Intimidate, Mega Evolves and Gets Huge Power with Base 125 and 95 Defenses. it also gets Sucker punch and Swords dance. off of a Huge Power Boosted Attack Stat. You can't take it down, and it gets a turn to set up a SD..with a Huge Power Boosted Attack stat...Sucker Punch even resisted will probably K.O a Pokemon unless it's Bulky.
So I entered an X and Y tournament a little while ago. I dominated pretty much everyone. Until the last round. Then I got to face one of those.

It did not take long to get 6-0'd after my opponent threw that thing on the field ._.

Last edited by Dragonite; November 6, 2013 at 09:04:05 PM.
Old November 7, 2013, 08:13:40 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Sand Rush Excadrill is a maybe. It's currently Uber since we don't have a Gen VI tier list yet, and not many train Ubers. But because of the weather nerf they might change their minds. Please... Excadrill is my favorite Ground type and I wanna use it freely again...

Mega Evolutions confuse me. I was told that they were to give weaker Pokemon a boost. I mostly see the most popular or powerful Pokemon given unfair boosts with few drawbacks. I just don't hope those get sent to Ubers as well, then that means I can't use freely anymore either.
Well, considering Mega-Mawile will be Uber, then Excadrill could probably take it assuming it doesn't have Brick Break. In fact, I think any Excadrill could take it since it is faster. Heck, maybe even Sandslash could take it since Mawile's speed is so bad. I still think Dugtrio would be the best since Arena Trap will catch it and you "might" be able to take it out. Mawile does have Sucker Punch, though...