Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 12, 2010, 07:12:39 AM
Rayquaza

Default Is December 21, 2012 getting close or what?

No. This isn't a nice thread saying about whether you believe this theory or not. It is more mature.

Recently, some people started claiming that 2012 is getting closer, and they are backing up their theory by saying that the natural hazards in the world is increasing rapidly. Well, the volcano that erupted in Iceland, the earthquake in Haiti, the earthquake in Indonesia, Turkey, etc., the oil leak in the ocean, the floods... they are all serious natural hazards, and many people are getting killed.

Can this be a hint for 2012?
Old May 12, 2010, 07:17:33 AM
Shaymin

I seriously don't think 2012 being the apocalypse is fact, the Mayans(or Aztecs, or w/e) just ran out of stuff or time to make the calendar, or they came to a conclusion that 2012 was far enough so they could just end it then.

Even if all these natural disasters are extremely devastating and kinda hinting at it, I don't think it's true.(also, it annoys me when someone calls the oil spill a "natural disaster"...it wasn't, it wasn't natural, it just happened, like any other oil spill.)
Old May 12, 2010, 07:35:47 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
I seriously don't think 2012 being the apocalypse is fact, the Mayans(or Aztecs, or w/e) just ran out of stuff or time to make the calendar, or they came to a conclusion that 2012 was far enough so they could just end it then.

Even if all these natural disasters are extremely devastating and kinda hinting at it, I don't think it's true.(also, it annoys me when someone calls the oil spill a "natural disaster"...it wasn't, it wasn't natural, it just happened, like any other oil spill.)
I have heard on BBC people saying that this oil spill is the worst disaster ever happened to U.S.A! I chocked.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:16:31 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
I have heard on BBC people saying that this oil spill is the worst disaster ever happened to U.S.A! I chocked.
I know it is, it's just not "natural" like a volcano or something, it's human error. =/

I hope they clean the mess up quick, I saw yesterday that tar balls are washing up on Alabama's shores and killing fish in the New Orleans area...seafood and harboring might crash and give us another crapload to worry about on our already weak economy.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:24:02 AM
Giratina

My DS' calender goes up to 2099, and I trust my DS. The world will end in 2099, you idiots!
Old May 12, 2010, 09:04:32 AM
Giratina

Yes, global warming might be taking place.
Yes, pollution might be making life harder for us.
Yes, natural hazards might increasing very quickly around the world.
And yes, the holes in the ozone layer might be getting bigger.

But I still don't fully believe that the Earth is coming to an end, nor do I believe that 2012 will be the termination of humanity. No one can be sure as to when the world will end. Plus, we all know how scientists predicted the world will end in some years which already passed, yet nothing happened.

Last edited by Shadow; May 12, 2010 at 09:07:28 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:11:11 AM
Charizard

The future doesn't exist; it's propaganda to try to get money from you.

But seriously, there have definitely been a ton of "disasters" lately. I don't think it's related to the concept of the world ending in 2012 though. Some people may say these occurrences are random, but I honestly believe that we're destroying the Earth quicker than we realize. This is just how it is retaliating to a sudden shortage in resources. I mean, if I took everything in your room away from you one day with any permission, you'd feel horrible, right? Okay, that was a bad analogy, but we seriously need to stop consuming natural resources so quickly and be nicer to one another. I would even go as far as saying the world will end in 2012 if people don't open their eyes and stop this mindless destruction for minimal gain.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:07:41 AM
Rayquaza

NASA has done a lot of research on this and has found nothing.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:03:41 PM
Shaymin

Well, I still don't believe in 2012, but many disasters are happening and it is freaking me out a little. Its still not enough to convince me that 2012 is going to happen.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:46:38 PM
Giratina

The constant earthquakes around the globe are scaring me. It reminds me a lot of the movie. But I don't think 2012 will happen because there have been many times that the end of the world was predicted and it did not happen. But if the end of the world happens when I am alive, please let it be zombies. :3

Last edited by SK; May 12, 2010 at 02:47:35 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:14:58 PM
Shaymin

I personally think that the world will end when I acquire an actual working Iron Man suit. Won't be for a few hundred years though... Sadfaec.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:15:41 PM
Haxorus

I dont believe in 2012 for many reasons.

Since im a gamer i will continue to live my life with no worry.

But if it somehow all hell breaks lose on Earth, i will say this 1 quote(refers to Sonic 06).

'The whole city's on fire!'
Old May 12, 2010, 03:53:52 PM
Shaymin

I only think people say it's coming up fast is because their not enjoying the day.

Then again, my day is slow and boring...
Old May 12, 2010, 05:34:30 PM
Joltik

If you went out of your way and read about the Mayans there calander acts like a clock it does not end it resets there will always be some form of The End of the World theory (june 6 2006 -666) and Y2k imo its all just dumb.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:02:57 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaRaichu View Post
I dont believe in 2012 for many reasons.

Since im a gamer i will continue to live my life with no worry.

But if it somehow all hell breaks lose on Earth, i will say this 1 quote(refers to Sonic 06).

'The whole city's on fire!'
I will also say my favorite quote.

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearls Before Grumpig View Post
If you went out of your way and read about the Mayans there calander acts like a clock it does not end it resets there will always be some form of The End of the World theory (june 6 2006 -666) and Y2k imo its all just dumb.
Living through the end of the world is so fun..
Old May 12, 2010, 07:05:53 PM
Kyurem

I don't think the world will end in 2012. People saying that the calendar ends and that the world will end are wrong. That is just one calendar ending. The Mayans have other ones. Some people also believe that if there is something that is gonna happen it might be spiritual and enlight other people. It won't be meteors falling from the sky and tsunamis hitting coasts it will be spiritual and not catastrophic. Hollywood just made it up so they cn make money off of this and create a movie. Even if it is true how come it just became popular like two years ago. If it was true we would've heard about it years ago and people would have been preparing for it.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:24:39 AM
Giratina

Did you know that if the world is ending, it's in Human Nature to have as much sex as possible?
Old May 13, 2010, 12:10:35 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Did you know that if the world is ending, it's in Human Nature to have as much sex as possible?
And alcohol, and drugs. As the old quote goes, and I'm not exactly right on this: "Let us eat, drink, and be merry, for tonight we die."
Old May 13, 2010, 01:08:13 PM
Floatzel

They're having sinkholes in China if no one said. D:
I think it will end in......*drumroll*..... 2013. It is said it will end on Jesus's birthday, but I think it'll happen on my birthday. D
I truly think that the world will not end. But I think it will end in 2013. But, phh. My opinion doesn't matter.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:18:03 PM
Regigigas

Nah.
Stuff like this have been happening. Ever since the start of the earth. Natural disasters always happen and it has been happening.

Come on', they even made a fictional movie of 2012. nuff' said. But if it does happen, I'm gonna try to get laid before I die.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:42:48 PM
Zoroark

Here is something interesting, something The Bible says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bible
"For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ' and will decieve many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdon against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in variou places. All these are the beginnings of the sorrows.
Sound a lot like now, doesn't it?

Last edited by GuildmasterWigglytuff; May 13, 2010 at 02:42:59 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:44:58 PM
Giratina

GM, I was going to post that sooner or later. But, like Lo said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPun View Post
Nah.
Stuff like this have been happening. Ever since the start of the earth. Natural disasters always happen and it has been happening.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:52:02 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
There is actually a reason people are believing the Aztecs. It's supposedly because they have been able to predict certain events like when their kingdom would come crashing down, and thus people think they are right on this. I don't believe it, but it's good enough for some people.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:54:32 PM
Giratina

It's the Mayans, actually.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:32:57 PM
Haxorus

Scientists are already getting sued for causing great amounts of panic. Suck on that, atheists.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:55:18 PM
Haxorus

Just watch, their gonna make a movie called "2018" They always add 6 more years to the prediction of the "End Of The World" >_>
Old May 13, 2010, 06:11:56 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buizel456 View Post
Just watch, their gonna make a movie called "2018" They always add 6 more years to the prediction of the "End Of The World" >_>
Oh, so the last major one was 666? :u
Old May 13, 2010, 06:31:24 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
But if it does happen, I'm gonna try to get laid before I die.
TMI. Oh well, I bet you're not the only one (I am denfinetly not considering that though).

There is this girl in my class who believes VERY strongly that we are all going to die, so people laugh at her, but not me (well only to myself).

Last edited by Luxray13579; May 13, 2010 at 06:34:32 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:41:33 PM
Volcarona

I do not believe that the world will end in 2012, but it is a possibility. I just don't believe that it will. There has been several times in the past as well where there were constant back to back natural disasters going on around the world. Then it dropped and now it is increasing all over again. If the world doesn't come to an end in 2012, I bet the natural disasters either decrease or have already done so before the end of the current year. Then a decade later, things will pick up all over again and people will be saying 2022 will be the end of the world.

It is only a belief though... can't say that I am right. No one can...
Old May 13, 2010, 06:58:12 PM
Haxorus

Only when I will believe it's the End Of The World is when the sky darkens and a fire tornado appear.

Everyone on my block will run and scream "That tornado's carrying a car!"
Old May 13, 2010, 07:12:21 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaRaichu View Post
Only when I will believe it's the End Of The World is when the sky darkens and a fire tornado appear.

Everyone on my block will run and scream "That tornado's carrying a car!"
Ha!
Old May 13, 2010, 08:00:04 PM
Regigigas

Ah the Mayans. Do you believe everything the Mayans tell you?
Old May 15, 2010, 12:52:34 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxray13579 View Post
TMI. Oh well, I bet you're not the only one (I am denfinetly not considering that though).

There is this girl in my class who believes VERY strongly that we are all going to die, so people laugh at her, but not me (well only to myself).
*chuckles*

The girl probably has the 2012 mental disorder and dreams of demonic unicorns drilling their horns deeply into human flesh and destroying everything in their path.

2012 won't happen. There's a freaking fictional movie of it. And if it does, BRING IT OOOONNN
Old May 15, 2010, 12:57:41 PM
Giratina

Quote:
demonic unicorns drilling their horns deeply into human flesh and destroying everything in their path.
*Promptly books LoPun therapy*
Old May 15, 2010, 01:02:39 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
*Promptly books LoPun therapy*
I DON'T NEED IT *twitches* O_e

But fo reahl. People need to pull themselves together. I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of gullible fudgenuts jump off of bridges the day "it happens." In fact, the next day I wake up, I will be laughing my @$$ off and watch the news go like, "THE EARTH SURVIVED ANOTHER APOCALYPSE LOL!"

I bet the Mayans, or whoever brought up the idea either a.Took drugs or b.Did it to laugh at our insolence.
Old May 15, 2010, 01:09:06 PM
Giratina

2012: The best April Fools Ever. Should it happen to be true. But even if it's not, it'll be funny watching people freak!
Old May 15, 2010, 03:20:46 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
But if it does happen, I'm gonna try to get laid before I die.
I'll happily oblige to fufilling your desire.

Also, I never watched 2012(never want to watch it either), but I heard the people survive the apocalypse and they're making 2013(the movie) currently... >_>
Old May 15, 2010, 05:52:17 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Nah. But if it does happen, I'm gonna try to get laid before I die.
Couldn't have said it better. How important.

In all seriousness, it's either 1. not going to happen or 2. by the time it does, we'll have the technology to counter that and therefore making it totally obsolete.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:41:24 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
OwO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshArmy View Post
Couldn't have said it better. How important.

In all seriousness, it's either 1. not going to happen or 2. by the time it does, we'll have the technology to counter that and therefore making it totally obsolete.
*purrs and licks claw* X3
I'm sure we'll develop some kickass technology. What if the reptilians SAVE THE DAY? xU
Old May 15, 2010, 09:54:09 PM
Haxorus

Like I said at the beginning of the year, "Dawn of the 2010th year. 2 remaining."

But really, I don't think it will because the Mayans, used their calendar like a clock, and it recycles. Anyway, they are gone. If they could predict everything, then why aren't they still around?
Old May 16, 2010, 06:08:41 PM
Haxorus

Quote:

Also, I never watched 2012(never want to watch it either), but I heard the people survive the apocalypse and they're making 2013(the movie) currently... >_>
2013? Goodness gracious...

And the calendar wasn't even finished. The Mayans are just some old tribe 'er whatever that worked on a calendar, and they got wiped out before it was finished (Not really

Last edited by Buizel456; May 16, 2010 at 06:08:59 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:51:24 PM
Regigigas

I'm telling you guys they did it for the LULZ!
Old June 4, 2010, 02:37:29 AM
Haxorus

2012 is the year rainbows will come gushing out of my mouth shaped like panda bears and eats everything and everybody.
Old June 4, 2010, 03:17:58 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragiiin123 View Post
2012 is the year rainbows will come gushing out of my mouth shaped like panda bears and eats everything and everybody.
Yes. For 2012 is the year that we screw the laws of physics because we have money.
Old June 4, 2010, 05:11:10 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragiiin123 View Post
^This.
What a quote.<3 Lmfao. You are win.
Well, if 2012 does happen I'm gonna try to survive then become a satan and cause a totally supernatural apocalypse with demon sneasels from hell crawling out of puddles and open the portal to another dimension.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:43:39 PM
Shaymin

2012 is what happens when I obtain an actual Iron Man suit. (I believe I said this already, but it needs restating.)
Old June 4, 2010, 02:46:21 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
2012 is what happens when I obtain an actual Iron Man suit. (I believe I said this already, but it needs restating.)
Oh snap.
Lots of epic stuff happening in 2012.

Well um...I actually heard another stupid theory that aliens will return at May 2012.

THAT WOULD BE AWWESUM.
Specifically the egyptian aliens.
Old June 16, 2010, 01:18:38 PM
Volcarona

I believe it is in Revelation chapter 8 that something like this is written:
"Then something like a great mountain, burning with fire, was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood."
Way back when John wrote Revelation, they didn't have huge oil rigs out in the middle of the ocean. How would he have described a giant, burning thing? His use of the word "like" signals that he didn't know what it was. He would have known what a mountain was--they had those back then, but a mountain was the closest thing he knew of to describe what he was seeing. The Deep Sea Horizon sunk, and it was on fire when it did. Now, the sea isn't turning into blood because of it, but it sure does look like it is. Various undersea currents could carry the oil all over the world, causing the water to turn that reddish-brown color. However, John doesn't say that the sea became LIKE blood. He said it BECAME blood. That's my analysis of it.
I doubt 2012 is the end. Things aren't great in the world right now, but I always imagined the end times as throwing humankind into much more pain and turmoil than is going on right now. It doesn't take long for things to turn bad, though. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for humanity being wiped out, I'm skeptical. Humans are up there with cockroaches on nature's "stuff I can't get rid of no matter how hard I try" list.
Old June 20, 2010, 07:13:53 AM
Kyurem

2012 doesn't seem very plausible. Besides, many people have predicted the end of the world and they've all been wrong! (Or will be, as some are still ahead of us). It's probably Mayan mumbo-jumbo, no biggie.

If it does happen, the Mighty Tsutaaja is on the first spaceship to...wherever!
Old June 20, 2010, 07:14:25 AM
Zoroark

I say it won't happen, but if it does;
I will be a really unhappy person if I didn't beat Phelp's swimming record and Catch 'Em All and become a Mangaka b/c if I die in 2012 I will bring hell to 'God/Heaven/Satan/Hell' even those I say those don't exist b/c I'm not religious.
Old August 5, 2010, 06:27:15 PM
Haxorus

I don't really think 2012 is the end, the only thing messing around with the Earth, is no other than us, our car's, buses, trains, the "Green soup" in the Western and Eastern garbage patch (search this you'll be amazed of where your stink'n trash goes you'll be amazed folk's) moving on....Ah! oil spill's, pollution from industries...yeah, you get it. We are bringing all this crap to ourselves from ourselves.....so no I don't think 2012 will happen, I think the world will just get all crappy, I'm not saying there is NO end, for me I know there will be an end according to my religion , but everyone else has there own point of view some religiously and some not.

Last edited by Turtwig; August 5, 2010 at 06:30:20 PM. Reason: spelling error (1)
Old August 15, 2010, 08:52:59 PM
Volcarona

Even if 2012 ended our world, another billion years later life would reform somewhere.

If you've ever heard of the drunken mans walk theory, you'd kind of understand it. If its possible to happen rarely over time, it will happen eventually. Like finding a shiny pokemon.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:54:34 PM
Celebi

The 2012 theory is a misunderstanding. Just because the Mayan calendar ends at 2012 doesn't mean the world will. People tend to think this because they predicted a lot of stuff that ended up coming true, like the discovery of Venus. The theory of 2010 come around because of the calendar's end... but the calendar is a cycle.

We should be more worried about this meteor that may hit the Earth in 2029. =/
Old September 4, 2010, 06:05:18 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Henge View Post

It has been confirmed that Nebula is fake.
Old September 4, 2010, 06:59:12 AM
Celebi

Quote:
I still believe in that. If people can believe in a silly God, I can certainly believe in a big rock smashing the Earth into bits.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:11:03 AM
Giratina

I think the 2012 scare is just messing with us and making us pay more attention to "signs of the apocolypse". It'll all pass over once 2013 comes up.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:14:23 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I still believe in that. If people can believe in a silly God, I can certainly believe in a big rock smashing the Earth into bits.
I don't understand the reason behind your belief though. What I mean is that to have such a belief about Nebula, there must be some facts about it. But NASA provided proofs that there is no such a thing. It might come later, but for the current decades, it is very far from happening.
Old September 4, 2010, 02:32:47 PM
Celebi

Quote:
I don't understand the reason behind your belief though. What I mean is that to have such a belief about Nebula, there must be some facts about it. But NASA provided proofs that there is no such a thing. It might come later, but for the current decades, it is very far from happening.
That's not what I heard.

BTW: Belief = Assent of the mind; persuasion, creed, opinion. As in, it is my opinion that we may be hit my a meteor in 2029. People tend to slang up that word a lot.
Old September 4, 2010, 03:07:08 PM
Giratina

What nebula are we talking about? I haven't heard this theory before.
Old September 4, 2010, 04:20:08 PM
Celebi

Click here for more info. There you go. Read all about it. =P

BTW, Spirit, unless I'm mistaken, this NASA report confirmed what I'm talking about.
Old September 5, 2010, 03:32:19 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Click here for more info. There you go. Read all about it. =P

BTW, Spirit, unless I'm mistaken, this NASA report confirmed what I'm talking about.
I am not really sure of the date this article has been submitted, but last year, Shadow provided us with news from NASA that Nebula is nothing.
Old September 5, 2010, 04:15:57 AM
Giratina

That article was also from NASA, and I'm fairly certain they would have edited the article to notify to everyone that it was wrong.

If you could provide the link shadow gave, that would be great.
Old September 5, 2010, 04:59:51 AM
Giratina

I think you guys mean Niburu, not Nebula.
Anyways, I found a handful of articles regarding this matter:

Nibiru and doomsday Q & A. (I think this is the one I posted earlier somewhere on the forums)
'Mayan 2012 apocalypse theory' not true, NASA says.
More popular questions about the 2012 theory.

Last edited by Shadow; September 5, 2010 at 05:01:33 AM.
Old September 5, 2010, 08:43:59 AM
Celebi

Yeah... These are referring to 2012... I'm talking about 2029.
Old September 5, 2010, 08:50:05 AM
Giratina

But this thread is about 2012, not 2029, right?
The links I posted were not meant to prove you wrong; they're just a proof that the 2012 theory is definitely not true, thus referring to the original topic.

Last edited by Shadow; September 5, 2010 at 08:55:00 AM.
Old September 5, 2010, 09:07:38 AM
Celebi

Quote:
Quote:
You need to look back on this. Spirit quoted my post and wrote his post. We are talking about 2029, since the debate topic about 2012 is dead. (It's not really a debate, IMO. He just posted a yes/no question.)
Old September 5, 2010, 09:11:08 AM
Giratina

The topic here is 2012. If you all want to start a 2029 debate, please make a new thread.
Old September 5, 2010, 09:28:51 AM
Celebi

The topic is dead. All anyone can do is tell their own conclusion on how the "dooms day" theory is fake. It's all spam to me. =/ Besides, it was never set up as debate. "Is 2012 getting close or what?" Where's the debate? This is an opinion thread. Anyway, Spirit of Time (someone of higher rank than you, Jared) was fine with this. His thread was getting some well-needed attention. =P

But I'll leave and let this thread die if you want me to.
Old November 23, 2010, 10:24:23 AM
Zoroark

We've seen it many times already in current times, quite actually more than in the past. It's mostly in the field of IT. Software operating with double-digit years that can't function correctly past the year 1999, 32bit integer time in many of today's programs which wrap around to the 20th century at some point in 2035, and IPv4 addresses which are running out because there's more computers online than can be assigned individual IPs.

The 2012 apocalypse is yet another example of overflow/exhaustion. A system that wasn't designed to go that far into the future. It has a limit in how many days it can count, and at some point in 2012 it will reach its limit. What happens then? Well what happens when your clocks go past 23:59? They revert back to 0:00. Sure, the day is incremented, while in the mayan calendar there is nothing to increment. But that's life!

I suppose anyone is free to adhere to the ever-so-appealing theory of ancient civilizations having coded apocalypse warnings for us. But leaving the mayan calendar aside, such kinds predictions have happened countless times in the past, wether they were inspired by the bible, nostradamus or some other old source. I have yet to see one such prediction be convincing enough, and I have the strongest of doubts that 2012 will be the one.

On the topic of natural disasters, the exact same was said about the year 2000. I remember the strong hype, and how the increase in these disasters was believed to pave the way for something cataclysmic. With more human settlements across the globe, better monitoring and more media coverage of the disasters, I have no doubt that the number of reports is going to increase, as is the number of victims. Yet percentage-wise, I don't see more of humanity being affected now than back then, even if individual numbers are up. The climate is also undergoing some changes due to global warming, which is also being debated to what extent it is man-caused and how much of it is part of the earth's natural cycle.

Historically speaking, most serious cataclysmic events or disasters that man has been around to witness have happened in years when nobody expected them, not years hinted by ancient texts. I don't see this trend changing.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:08:41 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searinox View Post
We've seen it many times already in current times, quite actually more than in the past. It's mostly in the field of IT. Software operating with double-digit years that can't function correctly past the year 1999, 32bit integer time in many of today's programs which wrap around to the 20th century at some point in 2035, and IPv4 addresses which are running out because there's more computers online than can be assigned individual IPs.

The 2012 apocalypse is yet another example of overflow/exhaustion. A system that wasn't designed to go that far into the future. It has a limit in how many days it can count, and at some point in 2012 it will reach its limit. What happens then? Well what happens when your clocks go past 23:59? They revert back to 0:00. Sure, the day is incremented, while in the mayan calendar there is nothing to increment. But that's life!

I suppose anyone is free to adhere to the ever-so-appealing theory of ancient civilizations having coded apocalypse warnings for us. But leaving the mayan calendar aside, such kinds predictions have happened countless times in the past, wether they were inspired by the bible, nostradamus or some other old source. I have yet to see one such prediction be convincing enough, and I have the strongest of doubts that 2012 will be the one.

On the topic of natural disasters, the exact same was said about the year 2000. I remember the strong hype, and how the increase in these disasters was believed to pave the way for something cataclysmic. With more human settlements across the globe, better monitoring and more media coverage of the disasters, I have no doubt that the number of reports is going to increase, as is the number of victims. Yet percentage-wise, I don't see more of humanity being affected now than back then, even if individual numbers are up. The climate is also undergoing some changes due to global warming, which is also being debated to what extent it is man-caused and how much of it is part of the earth's natural cycle.

Historically speaking, most serious cataclysmic events or disasters that man has been around to witness have happened in years when nobody expected them, not years hinted by ancient texts. I don't see this trend changing.
I agree fully. People tend to over react when some guy is in the middle of times square yelling "WE ALL DIE ON 2012!!" (A perfect example is Y2K) when one person hears it, they contact 20+ people about it then they tell 20+ people until the government hears it, does some research on Wikipedia (Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea how the government finds classified information. I'm just using Wikipedia as an example) and tell FOX 13 news about it. then 100000+ people watch the report and suddenly it becomes a world fact that the world will end on 2012. Y2K (to my understanding) followed a similar pattern but did planes fall out of the sky? Perhaps into The Twin Towers a year later (Rest in peace to all who died) but not at that exact moment.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:14:52 PM
Volcarona

For about a month in 2008, I was throughly convinced that we were all going to die in 2012. I've abandoned that belief now, seeing as how the end of the world has been discussed about and "predicted" since the dawn of time.

Although I'm quite skeptical about the 2012 apocalypse now, I honestly wouldn't mind if we all die in 2012. I'm not emo or anything, but if you think about it, the main aspect of death we fear is not death itself, but the loss it brings with it. Never seeing your friends and family again, never getting to play video games again, never getting the chance to live in that billion dollar mansion on top of a hill in Hollywood, stuff like that.

It may sound selfish, but I would be more relieved to hear that everything I knew would cease to exist all at once, as opposed to me dying only.

(I'm a little drowzy now, good luck making sense of that last sentence)
Old April 3, 2011, 10:24:48 PM
Servine

Honestly, with the whole Mayans ending the calender thing, the Mayans died out did they not? After all maybe they didn't have a chance to finish the calender.

Either way I'm sure the world won't end like it should have on June 6th, 2006 or Y2K happened on January 1st, 2000. When the world does end, who knows, but humans certainly can't predicted it and thats my stance on the whole thing.
Old April 6, 2011, 06:56:55 PM
Haxorus

Nothing going happen next year. If something does I will save the world.
Old April 7, 2011, 12:51:35 AM
Volcarona

Little fun fact. Rapture (Christians ascending into the sky to meet Christ) is "apparently" coming on May 21st 2011. From what I hear, it was supposed to happen in 2007 as well.
Old April 7, 2011, 03:59:08 AM
Shaymin

I DON'T think that this is a clue to it, i simply think it is a part of a changing planet (not to be on the "it's-going-to-happen" side).im not sure but, dont things like this happen every year?
Old July 12, 2011, 03:47:29 PM
Magikarp

SO what if the world ends?
So what if we all die?
Ash will still be 10 and that's my consolation.
Old July 12, 2011, 05:19:37 PM
Kyurem

Hey, I survived Y2K, 6/6/2006, and The Rapture.

I'm pretty sure I can survive 2012. c;
Old July 12, 2011, 07:12:30 PM
Zoroark

I played a game of SimCity that went up to 3036. SimCity never lies. I'm not worried.
Old July 15, 2011, 05:16:41 AM
Giratina

Who the hell keeps moving this back to debate.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:58:44 PM
Administrator

Time for a massive necro-bump, as we're less than a month away.

I think I'm going to watch 2012 on New Year's Day.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:10:14 PM
Giratina

It's a shame you won't be able to celebrate neither Christmas nor your birthday.
Oh, such a beautiful movie. I can't spoil it for you, but I think I'll join you in that.

If I was allowed to skip school I would definitely love to go somewhere where there are a lot of believers so I can watch the panic unfold with a large bucket of popcorn.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:12:30 PM
Charizard

I'm gonna make a prediction.
On December 21, 2012...
I believe...    
I will make a sandwich and play some Pokemon, and nothing bad will happen to the world.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:17:56 PM

Ahh, yet another "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIEEEE!!!" doomsday theory. You know what is going to happen? Nothing. We're all going to wake up on the morning of December 22nd, 2012, to find out that all this panic was for nothing. I can bet that a large amount of people are going to feel stupid that morning.

Also, I watched the movie 2012 when it was still in the theaters. It was ridiculous.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:19:41 PM
Shaymin

On 12/21/12 I will be at school probably taking an Ancient History Test.... If we could either all day at about 730am or 12:30pm I would be much happier. I would be either in Elite Choir of Band then, so I would die happy.

My Prediction    
All the power companies will turn the power off all at the same time and freak everyone out.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:21:01 PM
Giratina

My favorite part of that movie was definitely the driving scene in Yellowstone National. It beat out the limo driving scene because HOW DO YOU HAVE SUCH SKILLS IN AN RV? My favorite monument destruction scene was probably Sistine Chapel.

Now all I need is a song to play on 12/22/12 to make everyone who believes feel stupid and my mission is complete.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:11:22 PM
Rayquaza

If the world ends according the western side's time zone, then it will be the 22nd of December in this country, which means I am not included. Good luck to you guys dying.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:31:52 PM
Volcarona

I've been trying to tell you guys, the end of the world will be caused by Adele. She sung that song about setting fire to the rain, it'll rain fire down on us all and the world will burn to a crisp. THAT is REALLY what 2012 is going to be about, obviously! And I plan to watch 2012 on January 1st as well, just like Cat. But wow, this year went by a bit too fast... does anyone else think that? .__.
2012 Used Extreme Speed!
It Was Super Effective!
Old November 29, 2012, 09:51:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Now all I need is a song to play on 12/22/12 to make everyone who believes feel stupid and my mission is complete.

How's that?
Old November 30, 2012, 03:16:40 AM
Giratina

Quote:
If the world ends according the western side's time zone, then it will be the 22nd of December in this country, which means I am not included. Good luck to you guys dying.
Haha, nope. Your section of the world was FEATURED in the movie. You cannot escape! That movie is the official guide to the apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post

How's that?
Oh, well that's a perfect song. I wonder why I didn't think of that first.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:19:50 AM
Giratina

On that day, I have a girl's quinceanera and I am supposed to dance in the court for that, and my partner is my girlfriend C: It probably won't even happen but even if it does happen, I get to party "like there's no tomorrow", and spend my last moments on Earth with her<3
Old November 30, 2012, 04:29:31 AM
Mudkip

omg guiz we all guna die
No, I shall not die on 21st December because it will be 22nd December where I am.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:36:42 AM

I won't lie, I believed in the 2012 crisis when I was younger (like when I was 13 or 14). Now though, I see it as nothing more than mumbo jumbo. I'm gonna laugh when the 22nd comes.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:15:08 AM
Rayquaza

Looking at all the sarcastic comments, it would be funny if it actually happens. Mother Nature would be laughing on the 22nd.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:33:17 AM
Landorus

I don't believe in it, personally. It's really just a misunderstanding; the Mayans didn't say the world would end, they just said their calendar ended. But if it turns out that it is true.. well, at least there won't be anyone around to say "I told you so".
Kind of a big image    
Old November 30, 2012, 09:50:53 AM
Kyurem

On that day, nothing noteworthy will happen in my life. Hmm, maybe I should read up on the Mayans to talk about them to everybody all day long.

Also, relevant    

Click image for larger version

Name:	what-if-the-world-ended-in-5105-and-weve-been-holding-the-calender-upside-down-this-whole-time%3.jpg
Views:	1487
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	4175
Old November 30, 2012, 10:06:14 AM
Mudkip

I can only imagine how high personal debt will be after December 21st...
Old November 30, 2012, 10:32:01 AM
Haxorus

I will be in a French lesson when this is meant to happen, on the last day of the school term, ew.....
Old November 30, 2012, 11:36:42 AM
Giratina

I need to remember to play this song:

On the last hour of the 21st.
Then I'll play the Song of Time at the last minute and feel like I saved the world.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:54:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikochu View Post
I can only imagine how high personal debt will be after December 21st...
Oh wow, I didn't think about that...

Hmm, if the world economy crashes that day due to excessive credit card spending, that could be why the "world ends" (like the beginning of the Great Depression), and therefore, fear would have caused something major to happen. Good job, Human Race.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:37:19 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Hmm, if the world economy crashes that day due to excessive credit card spending, that could be why the "world ends" (like the beginning of the Great Depression), and therefore, fear would have caused something major to happen. Good job, Human Race.
Huh, I never thought of it that way.

Humans certainly are interesting creatures.