Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 17, 2015, 08:59:36 AM
Administrator

Default Nintendo going mobile and code name NX platform

Nintendo held a press presentation today and news is uh...interesting...

First off Nintendo has partnered with DeNA (makers of everyone's favorite "pay to win/freemium" category of games) for mobile gaming. Nintendo already teased at this type of game with Pokemon Shuffle, but now it's official and Nintendo IPs will be coming to smartphones and tablets near you. Nintendo claims this is merely to expand their brand and they will still remain in the dedicated gaming system market.

Speaking of dedicated gaming systems, Nintendo has announced code-name NX. They haven't given any details yet (whether will be a Wii U/3DS successor or something else entirely). They did however announce a new membership service which will be compatible on all platforms plus the new mobile market.

END NEWS BEGIN RANT

Oh goodie, the one of very few companies that didn't have to sink to the "pay to win" category has made it fully official (I considered Pokemon Shuffle more of a "testing the waters" game). Other companies handling your favorite characters like Mario and Link, what could possibly go wrong? It worked out great with Philips and the CDi..... Also really, ANOTHER system already? I know product development for new game system takes a few years so best to get started but do you really need to start revealing it already? The Wii U is what 2 years old now and we just got the New 3DS. Gah

Last edited by Yoshi648; March 17, 2015 at 10:26:51 AM.
Old March 17, 2015, 09:09:53 AM
Keldeo

I was like two seconds away from clicking New Thread about this when I saw you were online doing the exact same thing :P

Firstly, I think mobile gaming is stupid, with or without IAP. I apologize to the half billion or whatever cell phone owners but if you think poking a touch screen with a power button (I say this as a huge fan of the Pokéathlon) is the same gaming experience as . . . anything else, you need to get out more. But, since it kind of contains a big non-Nintendo audience I'm glad they're doing it. We're inching closer to the 21st century here, Nintendo.

As for the new console, I don't know. I didn't think they'd give up on the Wii U so early, and since they just finished releasing the New 3DS that's what this sounds like. It's probably at least 1.5+ years away at this point but that's still not a long time and since apparently a lot of people already think Gen 8 is going to be the last console cycle I have no idea what they're doing. I have considered that this may be something completely different, though. Maybe they're starting to experiment with VR or something.

By the way, now that they've at least thought about expanding from Nintendo consoles to mobile games, has anyone else wondered if this means we'll finally get to see Mario Kart 9 on Steam or something? . . . nah, that's absurd.

Also their stock price is up about 25% today, so at least if we're not so sure about this apparently the non-gamer investors are.

Last edited by Dragonite; March 17, 2015 at 09:10:13 AM.
Old March 17, 2015, 11:39:29 AM
Administrator

Meh, I'll just gloss over the mobile crapware. I tried Pokémon Shuffle and felt incredibly dirty playing it and stopped rather quickly. Anything similar is sure to go on my ignore list with great expediency. I've already seen enough stupid city-builder Farmville clones, as I've talked about at great lengths recently.

As for the new project, it sounds like the next Nintendo handheld rather than a new console. After all, the New 3DS was just a stopgap system like the Game Boy Color and DSi.

Regarding the integration thing, I doubt that has anything to do with Steam. I think they're just saying that the service will be accessible on many platforms.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 17, 2015 at 11:40:41 AM.
Old March 17, 2015, 01:51:11 PM
Keldeo

OH MY LORD, they are finally fixing the issue of you having one Nintendo account to one system. I know most people don't have an issue with this as they either do a system move to the new one and then sale the old one.
Old March 17, 2015, 10:47:57 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
As for the new project, it sounds like the next Nintendo handheld rather than a new console. After all, the New 3DS was just a stopgap system like the Game Boy Color and DSi.
This early, you think? The DS dynasty lasted from 2004 to 2011, a good seven years, and the 3DS is barely into its fourth.