Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Walkthroughs and Let's Plays

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 11, 2010, 02:28:12 PM
Giratina

Default Stuff.

What's the difference between an LP and a Walkthrough? Seems to me like an LP has videos and/or pictures and a Walkthrough just has text.

Reason I ask is because I might do a Pokemon XD Walkthrough or something. ^_^
Old April 11, 2010, 03:26:29 PM
Administrator

A walkthrough is just showing how to play through the game, a LP is basically like a walkthrough but with your commentary as you play through it.
Old April 11, 2010, 03:29:54 PM
Giratina

Tankou.

Would you ready my XD Walkthrough/LP if I made one? :3
Old April 28, 2010, 02:08:37 PM
Regigigas

Let's Play(LP) is playing through the game while narrating.
Walkthrough is just playing the game.
Old April 30, 2010, 12:01:31 AM
Linoone

Walkthrough/Playthrough/Let's Play all mean the same thing you play the game while adding commentary/music/game music.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:30:32 PM
Floatzel

I thought an LP was a playthrough of the game with narration and no help and a walkthrough was a playthrough of the game with narration, sidebars, and the rest of the help.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:00:27 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRayquaza View Post
I thought an LP was a playthrough of the game with narration and no help and a walkthrough was a playthrough of the game with narration, sidebars, and the rest of the help.
My previous post is the right answer.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:33:10 PM
Shaymin

Time to end this thread.
The differences are subtle to vast, but there are differences.
  • Walkthrough: Just text based showing you how to beat a game 100%, like a player's guide.
  • Playthrough: Video based, with or without commentary, however, if commentary exists, it is just "Here is the sword of ages, now head west to the exit of the cave and we'll be going to the Prof next...." etc.
  • Let's Play: Text/Picture or Video based, MUST have commentary either by text or voice(however, if it's a video, not text, only voice commentary). However, the differences between Playthrough and LP commentary is that LP commentary isn't strictly about the game. LP commentary contains real life stories, asking questions to viewers, telling jokes, etc. while playthrough commentary is simply about the game.

There ya go.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:01:27 PM
Giratina

Kthx, might make a Walkthrough this summer.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:56:06 PM
Regigigas

They closely the same. But most walkthroughs would have no narration. (or at least the ones I'd find at youtube) LPs have someone talking through.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:25:07 PM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPun View Post
They closely the same. But most walkthroughs would have no narration. (or at least the ones I'd find at youtube) LPs have someone talking through.
Actually most walkthroughs have narration let's take for example -

superskarmory, chuggaconoroy, IceWaveZ, pdwinnall and lots others put narration on walkthroughs.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:49:07 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazza View Post
Actually most walkthroughs have narration let's take for example -

superskarmory, chuggaconoroy, IceWaveZ, pdwinnall and lots others put narration on walkthroughs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
  • Walkthrough: Just text based showing you how to beat a game 100%, like a player's guide.
  • Playthrough: Video based, with or without commentary, however, if commentary exists, it is just "Here is the sword of ages, now head west to the exit of the cave and we'll be going to the Prof next...." etc.
  • Let's Play: Text/Picture or Video based, MUST have commentary either by text or voice(however, if it's a video, not text, only voice commentary). However, the differences between Playthrough and LP commentary is that LP commentary isn't strictly about the game. LP commentary contains real life stories, asking questions to viewers, telling jokes, etc. while playthrough commentary is simply about the game.

There ya go.
They don't do walkthroughs, chuggaa is a LPer, i'd classify SS as a more playthrougher type, and I don't watch the others you listed.(and i'm a LPer on YT, check out my channel ;D, so I know mah st00f. )