Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 24, 2014, 02:36:02 PM
Keldeo

Default On the subject of Let's Plays in the wake of popular releases.

Couple friends and I found this video and spammed it on a certain other web site. The result was some bizarre combination of butthurt and defensive. I feel like reading some posts with intelligence so I guess I'll leave it here now.

Language warning for those listening with others around.

Spoiler Alert:    
To get the bias out of the way, yes, I do identify as someone who started doing Day 1s of Pokémon AlphaSapphire. Like, at 2 AM on Friday.

That being said, I mostly agree with what's in the video. It wasn't articulated as well as it could have been but it calls out something that I started noticing over the weekend, too. As in, some certain people, mostly larger channels, spamming uncounted dozens of uploads a day. Quality-wise alone, a lot of them were sub-par and all but had a big "I'M SELLING OUT" overlay over them. None of these channels were mentioned in the video but a couple are called out directly in the comments.

More to the point, I have in the past unsubscribed more than one channel who spammed videos after a big release - mainly Pokémon games, but others too - and given the E3 we just had I'm half expecting to do it again.

Discuss.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 24, 2014 at 03:13:30 PM. Reason: Added a language warning
Old November 24, 2014, 03:15:55 PM
Administrator

25 videos per day? Yeah, I think that's a bit crazy and spammy, and I remember back when I actually used YouTube regularly and had a bunch of subscriptions. When major games came out and the folks switched to longplays (I like that term more than Let's Play ), I had to go click a dozen Unsubscribe buttons because I didn't care to watch the game I hadn't even started yet. (To be completely honest, I don't get why anyone would want to watch someone else play a game that they are about to play through themselves.)

If you want to put up that many videos, just do a live stream, then put it up in segments to your favorite video sharing website. Heck, when SoulSilver came out I did a three-day live stream of the entire game, eschewing common sense for 15 hours each day, from the beginning of the game to the completion of Kanto.

But meh, I don't care about the YouTube community any more. It sickens me how juvenile so many people have gotten.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 24, 2014 at 05:43:47 PM. Reason: Darn grammatical errors
Old November 24, 2014, 03:22:13 PM
Keldeo

I've tried long plays and wasn't to great I might go back and try to finish the project because it's something I started on a game I absolutely love, think I have the tech that I would be able to more easily so that is part of it certainly. As for games I haven't played I don't quite get why people want to watch that before they play it, ruins the surprises on most of it and instead of sitting and enjoying it you rush because you know what will happen.

Back in my day... well not really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
But meh, I don't care about the YouTube community any more. It sickens me how juvenile so many people have gotten.
There are very few people or channels I pay attention to and I don't comment any more because well thanks google. So guess I missed how the younger generations or just ones with less manners started to take over.
Old November 24, 2014, 04:53:54 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
(To be completely honest, I don't get why anyone would want to watch someone else play a game that they are about to play through themselves.)
Eh, to me, there are some games that come out and I like playing alongside the commentator (Black 2 and White 2) or I like seeing what it looks like if I know I'm not going to get it for a long time (Galaxy 2). Games like ORAS when I decide I want to avoid as much information as I can are kind of a rarity for me.

To me, recording Day 1 is more fun for me than anything else. Talking about video games to my 3DS is oddly pacifying, random people watching is just a bonus, but evidently to some it's the other way around.

Quote:
Oh, don't get me started on how juvenile (some corners of) the community have gotten . . . *rubs hands together and grins deviously*

Don't get me wrong, though, I do think there are still some nice parts of YouTube left. (Like my friends who showed me the video and told me to spam it everywhere :^) )