Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Victory Road Network Support

Notices

Victory Road Network Support Suggestions? Errors? Comments? Questions?

Search this Thread
Old October 18, 2013, 07:59:45 PM
Administrator

Default How could Victory Road be improved?

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks this forum needs or ways that it could be improved. Is there anything you think should be added? Anything old that should be revived? Changes that should be made? Do we need a new look?

For the time being, I'm currently not interested in (re-)adding a chat, so I would like to ask not to suggest that.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 18, 2013 at 07:59:55 PM.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:04:16 PM
Giratina

DUDE IT WOULD BE SO COOL IF WE COULD GET THE CH- ...*snaps* Awww maaaaan.

I would like a revamped arcade and cool forum events. How's that VGVids thing of yours going, too?
Old October 18, 2013, 08:10:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I would like a revamped arcade and cool forum events. How's that VGVids thing of yours going, too?
I can't do a whole lot with the arcade. Freeze installed it, and I have absolutely no idea how it works. I'd need to reinstall it myself or learn a lot about it to figure that out.

What kind of cool events?

VGVids is going to likely be renamed to the Video Game Multimedia Archive or something of the sort to give it the idea of it being more of an archive for all kinds of gaming-related media and not just a YouTube clone. As for coding, it's pretty close to being done. Sadly, I'm at a standstill and lack desire to work on it...again.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:59:51 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I can't do a whole lot with the arcade. Freeze installed it, and I have absolutely no idea how it works. I'd need to reinstall it myself or learn a lot about it to figure that out.

What kind of cool events?

VGVids is going to likely be renamed to the Video Game Multimedia Archive or something of the sort to give it the idea of it being more of an archive for all kinds of gaming-related media and not just a YouTube clone. As for coding, it's pretty close to being done. Sadly, I'm at a standstill and lack desire to work on it...again.
I would say reinstall it, but it's not really that important enough.

I don't know, I'm no idea man. I'm still surprised I came up with these suggestions so fast. Things that could get a bunch of people involved, and they don't have to be that big. A tournament of some sort is the only thing I can think of for now.

The answer is simple: You require assistance.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:03:46 PM
Administrator

Well, most of our past tournament and gym league staff have left us, but we still have Ditto and Reuniclus, not to mention Yoshi and I can appoint new folks for those.

I most definitely will require assistance with getting content onto the site, but I need all kinds of other little questions answered that are probably too technical for most of the folks around here.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:15:11 PM
Volcarona

I think Victory Road could use a newer, more polished look.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:23:29 PM
Administrator

Hm, could you be more specific?
Old October 19, 2013, 02:48:05 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Hm, could you be more specific?
I believe Dark Illusionist is several years old at this point.
Old October 19, 2013, 05:55:29 AM
Administrator

True. Zoroark has lost its relevance. I may need to wait for most of the X/Y Pokémon to sink in before I settle on a new one, or pick another favorite and go with that.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:40:56 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
True. Zoroark has lost its relevance. I may need to wait for most of the X/Y Pokémon to sink in before I settle on a new one, or pick another favorite and go with that.
As long as it doesn't suddenly become GOOMY... yeah.

What do you think that represents XY the most without using any legendary Pokémon?
Old October 19, 2013, 06:49:56 AM
Haxorus

1. Encourage more Discussion - Sure since X and Y came out there has been much more discussion.... but maybe you could somehow get more people to join.

2. Revamp the Gym League - I know people keep going on about this... a lot of us are battlers here. Like last time, people could be appointed Gym Leaders- although only those who make sure to be active, so that the League suceeds. However a slight problem is that the metagame needs to be established first...

3. More Events - This dosen't have to be just restricted to Pokemon... games like Mario Kart, New Leaf (lol dead game) and whatever else people suggests could come into play here

4. Revamp forum look - Like people previous said
Old October 19, 2013, 01:51:32 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
As long as it doesn't suddenly become GOOMY... yeah.

What do you think that represents XY the most without using any legendary Pokémon?
Sylveon. It's a Fairy, it's an Eeveelution, what more could you want?
Old October 19, 2013, 09:46:30 PM
Administrator

Sylveon is currently among the top contenders, but its color scheme is pink, so it might be tricky to make the forum look nice. It might work with lots of white too, though.

The VR Gym League is currently being revamped, but we need to figure some stuff out (and get some moderators in place) before we can launch it.

I've thought about a few tournaments. Any ideas on specific games beyond Mario Kart, Pokémon, and SSB Brawl?

I can probably get folks to join pretty easily once we can establish some of the above. The newsletter would be nice to remind older members that this place still exists.
Old October 20, 2013, 04:34:53 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Sylveon is currently among the top contenders, but its color scheme is pink, so it might be tricky to make the forum look nice. It might work with lots of white too, though.

The VR Gym League is currently being revamped, but we need to figure some stuff out (and get some moderators in place) before we can launch it.

I've thought about a few tournaments. Any ideas on specific games beyond Mario Kart, Pokémon, and SSB Brawl?

I can probably get folks to join pretty easily once we can establish some of the above. The newsletter would be nice to remind older members that this place still exists.
Pink is the MANLIEST COLOR EVER! But it also has a touch of blue, don't forget.

Kid Icarus, New Leaf, you could try tournaments beyond Nintendo games but I'd have to back out from there.

Try to think of a new, crazy idea. Let it bubble up from deep inside.
Old October 20, 2013, 05:01:22 AM
Haxorus

How about an Xerneas and Yvetal scheme? ( With both of them together?)
Old October 20, 2013, 10:12:25 AM
Landorus

Quote:
Pink, White, Blue.. all could work. Too much white would be painful to look at, though. If you look closely at Sylveon, at its ears and the ends of its ribbons, there's also a sort of blueish-purple color to it; maybe something like that would work too. And if you were to go with Pink as the main color, I could kinda see this as the "accent" color (The parts that are the red color on the Dark Illusionist skin).

Or maybe, if you wanted something else but still wanted to use Sylveon, you could try one with all the Eeveelutions?

Last edited by SpikyEaredPichu96; October 20, 2013 at 10:13:01 AM.
Old October 20, 2013, 10:12:40 AM
Administrator

Ooh, those colors might be more appropriate (both Xerneas/Yveltal and the Eeveelutions idea).

I'm curious, Turt, how would we have a New Leaf tournament?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 20, 2013 at 10:13:10 AM.
Old October 20, 2013, 10:21:45 AM
Celebi

Maybe Starter Pokemon Themes?
Like Fire,would Have the 6 Fire Starter With several Different Shades of Red and Orange
And So on and So forth with Grass and Water with Shades of Green and Blue.
Old October 20, 2013, 07:33:14 PM
Administrator

Actually, I don't think we can properly launch the Gym League until January, as the Pokémon Bank won't be out until December, and some would-be leaders probably don't want to train up certain Pokémon again.
Old October 20, 2013, 07:49:31 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Ooh, those colors might be more appropriate (both Xerneas/Yveltal and the Eeveelutions idea).

I'm curious, Turt, how would we have a New Leaf tournament?
Now that... is a very good question. I was just saying the 3DS games I know of with Wifi. Hmm... I don't have much beyond the Tortimer's Island minigames (I was planning for my Mario Party Town.) Maybe some sort of rotation of those? It's a very casual game so coming up with a tournament for it would net you Crazy Thinker of the Year award.
Old October 20, 2013, 07:52:53 PM
Administrator

I see Yoshi reading this thread, so he probably has a very brilliant idea coming.

Maybe I should do some kind of poll-but-not-a-poll to find out what online multiplayer games folks have on 3DS, DS, Wii U, and Wii? Pity Sony and Microsoft are both going to have paid multiplayer soon.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 20, 2013 at 07:53:05 PM.
Old October 20, 2013, 08:03:57 PM
Giratina

Marvelous idea. For Microsoft it's always been expected from those money grubbers, but pretty sad for Sony. Not like I care about them.
While we're at it, a list of games that use the free and more stable Nintendo Network. It's pretty small.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Network_games
Old October 20, 2013, 09:17:25 PM
Administrator

But those are only games for 3DS and Wii U. What about DS and Wii, too?
Old October 21, 2013, 02:14:41 AM
Giratina

Quote:
But those are only games for 3DS and Wii U. What about DS and Wii, too?
The list for that is much larger, and Nintendo Wi-Fi connection just isn't as good as Nintendo Network. But oh well, you asked for it.

Nintendo Wii

Nintendo DS

And if we decided to try Xbox we could do a Beatles Rock Band tournament. That'd be greeaaat~
Old February 22, 2014, 02:09:49 AM
Administrator

For those who have been begging for a new layout, I am 'currently' working on one, which means I look at it whenever I get bored. Don't expect it next week or anything, but I'll release it when I feel like it.
Old March 9, 2014, 10:10:09 AM
Mudkip

I just noticed that the forums themes are very blank when it comes to artwork, and that necessarily isn't a bad thing! I would just like to see more art brought into it. Make it more detailed! I notice that each theme has just a color, no template or design. Vbulletin allows members to do a LOT with their skins and themes, so explore and mess around with it. I am hoping that I didn't come across rude, but when I look at a theme, I want to see the forums creativity. Also, everything is underlined in the themes. Removing that would make the theme look ten times better.

I can help out if it's needed ^_^

Last edited by Manaphy72; March 9, 2014 at 10:11:25 AM.
Old March 9, 2014, 12:46:49 PM
Administrator

I personally prefer simple themes that load relatively quickly. To me, if the page is over a couple hundred kilobytes (including images), there's something wrong. That's also why signatures are very limited, particularly not being allowed to use the IMG tag. It sickens me to see signatures that occupy over half of my screen or have a 5 MB animation in them.

(I'm a sucker for optimization at times. )

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 9, 2014 at 12:48:02 PM.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:01:34 PM
Volcarona

MORE BATTLES! But that's just me...
Old March 9, 2014, 01:07:32 PM
Keldeo

Some time before WiFi gets killed, would it be feasible to hold some sort of final Black/White tournament?
Old March 9, 2014, 01:24:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Some time before WiFi gets killed, would it be feasible to hold some sort of final Black/White tournament?
I definitely want to do some tournaments throughout April and May for the more popular titles (Smash Bros., Mario Kart), but Pokémon is a toughie. I wouldn't doubt that some of the interested parties have already sent their teams forward to Gen VI, and Gen V had the horrible lack of automatic leveling where you had to manually level your Pokémon all the way up to 100 for everyone to have fair battles. The best way would probably be to fire up an interest poll to see who would be willing to participate. Another silly idea is to give everyone six freshly-hatched Togepi and have Triple Battles with just Metronome.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:27:44 PM
Keldeo

That's true, I didn't think of that.

Definitely up for Mario Kart Wii if it were to happen, though I think the only time I'd have access to that game is the last week of March, over my spring break.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:36:50 PM
Administrator

I've posted a new thread with a poll. We can bring the discussion there:
http://victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=11648
Old March 9, 2014, 05:29:41 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
I personally prefer simple themes that load relatively quickly. To me, if the page is over a couple hundred kilobytes (including images), there's something wrong. That's also why signatures are very limited, particularly not being allowed to use the IMG tag. It sickens me to see signatures that occupy over half of my screen or have a 5 MB animation in them.

(I'm a sucker for optimization at times. )
I completely agree, but adding certain things won't make the forums lag. If you don't mind, could I whip up an example on another forums and show you? I'm not talking about a blowout of graphics, but some templates with design IN the color.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:34:57 PM
Administrator

I do have another theme in the works, but it needs a bit more tampering with the colors before I think it'll be ready to put up.
Old December 24, 2016, 03:05:08 PM
Keldeo

Was looking through the Archive just now and found this. Considering that there're almost twice as many generations of Pokémon now as there were when the thread was written, would anybody be up for rebooting it?

Doing it'd probably be a group effort, since I doubt I could maintain it alone.

Last edited by Dragonite; December 24, 2016 at 03:33:41 PM.
Old December 24, 2016, 03:18:13 PM
Administrator

Out of curiosity, is a link missing from your last post, are you referring to the theme I messed with before, or are you referring to this thread itself?
Old December 24, 2016, 03:33:55 PM
Keldeo

That would be me using the [i] tag instead of the [url] one. Aah.

Basically: http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Last edited by Dragonite; December 24, 2016 at 03:34:25 PM.
Old December 24, 2016, 04:37:50 PM
Administrator

I'm not much of a competitive battler, but I'd certainly be interested if someone could take the torch on that one. Maybe I could even ask if Jack would still be interested in writing those.
Old December 25, 2016, 09:25:54 AM
Kyurem

Too bad u couldnt new stuff to the main site? Like more to stuff like guides and music or something. The last game u have on there is from black and white, just an idea for wandering peeps.
Old December 25, 2016, 02:05:17 PM
Keldeo

If you mean the midi library/remixes, would be cool but it would probably be harder than music from previous generations, since the DS games stored their bgm in midi itself and the 3DS ones use something like aiff or aac or something, which are more akin to mp3 or wavs. Meaning one would have to sequence the stuff from scratch without having anything to base it off of.

If you mean just ripping out the audio from the games and posting it . . . bit of a gray area but I would still enjoy it immensely :^ )
Old December 26, 2016, 09:41:24 PM
Kyurem

I like the music from sun and moon, but no one has ripped it into mp3 format yet. I did find a site that has the music from the other games, but they havnt updated the site yet.
Old December 27, 2016, 06:45:02 PM
Administrator

The main site? Do you mean Floatzel.Net? I'm reworking that entirely, and there will be a good bit of new stuff on it. The current layout is an absolute pain to update and would require me to install Microsoft Expression Web, reverse sync it, make the changes, and sync it back.

The Sun/Moon soundtrack is available for purchase both as an imported CD from Japan and from iTunes.

I did make a complete rip (including clean-up of a few messy tracks and removal of annoying clicking sounds) of the Gold/Silver/Crystal soundtrack because a high-quality one does not exist. As there is no official soundtrack for that game, I will be posting it to Floatzel.Net.

Also, if anyone has any good article ideas for Floatzel.Net, I'd love to hear them.
Old December 30, 2016, 01:29:26 AM
Kyurem

What do u refer to articles? Im not used to helping with this sort of stuff before.
Old December 30, 2016, 02:06:35 PM
Administrator

Like, what should I write articles (long posts describing some topic) about? Likewise, would anyone like to write any articles to be posted on the site?
Old December 30, 2016, 10:19:31 PM
Kyurem

Do you think we can get some kind of weekly or monthly event? I think lately this place feels like... well, kind of like nothing's going on. Then again, me working lately might had something to do with it.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 31, 2016 at 10:31:26 PM. Reason: Split post in two
Old December 31, 2016, 10:32:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Do you think we can get some kind of weekly or monthly event? I think lately this place feels like... well, kind of like nothing's going on. Then again, me working lately might had something to do with it.
What kinds of ideas do you have?

(I split your post and moved this half into the relevant thread.)
Old January 1, 2017, 06:46:08 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
What kinds of ideas do you have?

(I split your post and moved this half into the relevant thread.)
It's... well, hard to describe.

We probably have a chicken-and-egg problem. We need more people, and more activity tends to get more people to come here and stick around, but then we also need people to even get started with activities.

Right now I don't really find much reason to browse Victory Road and post - outside of the general discussion stuff. It's pretty hard to think of something to post in a thread and keep talking...
Old January 1, 2017, 10:44:20 AM
Keldeo

I've been on a bunch of forums over the years, and that's how all of the ones that died went. Discussion perpetuates discussion, but an unfortunate thing I've noticed (especially about Pokémon/video game forums) is that after a while all that there is to talk about has been talked about - you can only ask "what's your favorite Gen [current] Pokémon" for a certain number of years before people lose interest.

The second problem is that most of us aren't as young as we used to be and time is of the essence. My working 35 hours a week is nice because they give me money for it, but on the other hand that's 35 fewer hours I have to waste on the Internet.

A temporary fix (discussion for a few weeks, at best) might be to go into the Archive and recycle old, moderately interesting conversations but that's the kind of thing a large number of people need to be on board with first. I kind of tried that idea two weeks ago and it never gained traction, though.
Old January 2, 2017, 01:28:10 PM
Administrator

Another major reason is college, especially those who live in a dorm. A lot of people flock to online forums and social networks as a source of friendship because their high school doesn't provide a great circle of friends. Once these people head out to college and spend time with similar folks in person, you'll typically see a message stating that they will try to remain active and then very little activity, followed by the eventual message during Thanksgiving or Christmas break that they apologize for the lack of activity.

And of course, as you mentioned, getting a proper job can be a real hamper on free time.

The big sites have a staff of folks to present innovative ideas every month, new themes come out once or twice a year, they have monthly tournaments and giveaways, news posters work around the clock, and holidays are no small consideration.

Holy Arceus, it's been eight and a half years since I re-launched the forum, and ten since I originally attempted it.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 2, 2017 at 01:28:19 PM.
Old January 11, 2017, 06:39:33 PM
Volcarona

Host tournaments
Old January 12, 2017, 11:21:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
Host tournaments
Sure, we can do tournaments, but I'd like some help with it. I've been especially busy in December and January so far.
Old January 17, 2017, 08:16:08 AM
Zoroark

Adding on to the conversation, a lot of Pokemon forums in particular have died out because of the rise of much larger communities, such as Reddit. Most of VRs main popularity came from a core group of like 50-60 users that came on here all the time, and it attracted attention to the website. Most of these people (especially a certain group that shall not be named) have mostly moved on or become much more busy, and the younger audience that is getting in to Pokemon would have trouble even finding this site given the large amount of Pokemon communities on the internet right now.