Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you miss loamy soil to plant berries?
Yes, the Dream World is not a suitable replacement. 3 21.43%
Yes, I do not have means to use the Dream World. 1 7.14%
Yes, but mostly for nostalgia or convenience. 4 28.57%
No, the Dream World is a suitable replacement. 2 14.29%
No, I get all the berries I need over the course of the game. 1 7.14%
No, I don't use berries. 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old October 25, 2012, 01:03:33 AM
Administrator

Default Loamy soil

I really miss the loamy soil directly being in the games rather than the Dream World. It always brought satisfaction to know you successfully grew berries and were able to harvest them. For some reason, I couldn't get into using the pots in HeartGold/SoulSilver, and I didn't really care about berries by the beginning of BW2.

Does anyone else miss the loamy soil where you could plant berries to harvest later?
Old October 25, 2012, 02:08:11 AM
Kyurem

I find myself missing the watering timing when the berries were local, because I tend to oversleep and get past the optimum timing window. Having them local is convenient, but on PDW, other people can help out.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:29:16 AM
Giratina

Well, hehe, me being a Grass type and all, I loved berry farming. Platinum was the only game for me where I felt I could do it, have fun with it, and get useful results. I think I still have over 300 Leppa Berries from all those Champion fights I was too afraid to do. I could plant and grow anything and it was just fun, especially when you went to Hearthome to get some nice Poffin Making started.

Heart Gold was pretty unmemorable. I mean, sure it was nice and convenient to have them as like a Key Item meaning they'd always be there with you so you wouldn't miss watering them, but seeing a berry on the ground sprouting is what made me remember. (Or the dots on my Pokétch App.) I would always forget the berries and they'd die. It's not like they served some distracting purpose anyway, the Pokéathlon used Apricorns.

5th Gen has to be the worst for me. It doesn't let you transfer any berries, which is stupid, and it has no soil at all nor item for planting. (Come on, I wanted my Tympole Watering Can!) The Dream World is the only place where you can actually grow them, but even that's annoying. 24 hour service doesn't really suit it well. And if other people can help you, can they also take your berries? If so, I'm never using it. I trust no one.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:06:32 AM
Celebi

Berries can only be cruely robbed fairly traded if you put them on your Share Shelf. If I'm honest, while I did enjoy planting and harvesting berries in those games, I never actually used them.

How berries are like currencies in the Dream World is slightly annoying, because that means you don't get as many to send down.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:25:11 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
Berries can only be cruelly robbed fairly traded if you put them on your Share Shelf.
Oh yeah, it's so fair. One day I put a bunch of rare berries up just to be nice. Before the hour was over they were all replaced with Orans.

F***ing Oran berries. You don't even do anything good.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:33:18 AM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor78 View Post
Oh yeah, it's so fair. One day I put a bunch of rare berries up just to be nice. Before the hour was over they were all replaced with Orans.

F***ing Oran berries. You don't even do anything good.
Fairly traded was a joke, they are cruely robbed. I put a Watmel up there once and I got a Full Heal.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:30:03 AM
Charizard

I honestly liked the use of Berry Pots. It can be frustrating at times to remember where you last placed a really important berry, especially when you were sprawling all around the regions. With the Pots, there was no rush, no hurry, and so long as you had it on registry, you were fine.

I DO wish, however, that Gen V carried it over for those who were unlucky enough not to have proper internet access.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:51:48 AM
Giratina

I actually like the DW version of planting berries better than the soil. I could never get the timing right for watering berries in Platinum (mainly because I could never remember that I had planted berries) and never found myself using the pots in HG/SS. The berries in the DW always give you a nice amount of berries per harvest (unless they are Lum berries. Only two per full harvest).

I just wish the berries that increased stats when HP falls below 1/3rd health were able to be found in the DW.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:37:40 PM
Administrator

I think the only problem with the rare berries on the Dream World and the fair trading is that many times you don't have any other rare berries on-hand or just one of them because you only occasionally go to others' houses and don't get a huge plot. Heck, most of the time I plant berries, I try to plant ones that I need for décor.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:36:32 AM
Shaymin

Even though I can only use the Dream World every other weekend, I LOVE being able to plant berries there! Because I am the most forgetful person ever when it comes to berries, so knowing that some of my many Dream friends will come to my house and water my plants while I'm away is awesome! And what Cat said is true, I never have anything equivalently rare enough to put back on the share shelf, but I still try my best. Plus I understand that you're trying to be nice when you give away rare things on the share shelf, but if somebody takes it and leaves something underwhelming, don't forget that you put that item there in the first place... While it was fun to grow berries over the period of a few days, I always felt it was too much of a burden to remember. I believe the Dream World is a suitable replacent, because it gives you incentive to use it, and it's really a cool addition to regular gameplay, so I'm all for it!
Old October 26, 2012, 04:41:47 AM
Celebi

I don't like the amount of berries you have to spend on decor in the DW.

There's another thing I forgot to mention, it's better for me, because when I was bored, I used to constanly check my berries. Now, I have the daily restriction stopping me from screwing around them when I knew nothing was going happen.