Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 3, 2013, 04:58:51 PM
Kyurem

Default Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity General Talk

Starting March 7th, you can download a free demo of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates of Infinity on the Nintendo EShop! This demo will contain 45 minutes of game play, and dozens of specials dungeons. You can transfer your demo's process to the actual game when you purchase it.

Source: www.serebii.net

Edit by Cat: This is now a general discussion for Gates of Infinity. You can feel free to post recent happenings, thoughts, and other progress details about your playthrough of the game. Be sure to mark spoilers as appropriate.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 24, 2013 at 01:23:04 PM.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:00:43 PM
Administrator

Ooh, I definitely have to download this! I hope this isn't one of those demos that only gives you ten uses.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:15:24 PM
Giratina

Guess which Mystery Dungeon fanatic is gonna be on this demo 24/7 when it comes out? THIS ONE~! I can't wait to see how they've done this one. I still can't believe Mag (I think it was him) was right when he predicted the visual style.
Old March 9, 2013, 03:22:04 PM
Administrator

I've downloaded the demo and have a few comments on it:
  • I'm glad to see what appears to be "unlimited" storage return in the Deposit Box in the town.
  • Ahh, good old Mystery Dungeon music. Good to hear it again.
  • The demo lasts a surprisingly long time. You get to explore two dungeons, and it cuts out right before the third.
  • You can use your save file (yes, you can actually save) with the actual game. Whether or not this includes the physical version is unknown to me.
  • It definitely feels like a classic Mystery Dungeon game, just with updated graphics.
  • The field of view is a bit smaller than in the 2D games, but you can always put the map on either screen.
Old March 9, 2013, 03:58:12 PM

I played the demo earlier this morning and I guess I have a few comments. I'll put them in a spoiler:

My Thoughts of the Demo    
-I'm a bit disappointed that they took out the traditional personality quiz at the beginning to determine which Pokemon you'll be. And on top of that...you only have 5 Pokemon to choose from.
-I do like the graphics both in and outside of dungeons, that will be one of my praises of the demo.
-The plot at first seems a bit odd. To me, it seems that most of the characters I've seen already are lacking when it comes to their personalities and aspirations. Quagsire was the only character that I've seen so far who has a distinct personality.
-One last complaint before I finish this, there doesn't appear to be a hunger meter while going through dungeons. The only reason I list this as a complaint is because the hunger meter adds a challenge to exploring. Another thing I noticed is that your health bar also increases a lot quicker when you walk around compared to the past 2 Mystery Dungeon games.

Overall, nothing seemed to wow me besides the graphics. I will end up buying the game when it's released, but I don't think I'll feel as attached to it compared to PMD Time and Darkness.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:03:30 PM
Rayquaza

I already played it but I agree with Ruen it seems way to easy.

Also I'm really still annoyed by the fact they could't put in all the pokemon so I'm still unsure about buying this game.
As much as I enjoy the PMD series.

Last edited by Magmaster12; March 9, 2013 at 04:03:40 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:54:50 PM
Joltik

Honestly, what I think of the demo is this:

Spoiler Alert:    

-Disappointed on how many starter Pokemon you can choose from (in the Explorers of Time/Darkness and Sky, you get to choose from up to the Gen IV starters, Pikachu, Munchlax, and probably Riolu. So about 15 Pokemon.)
-Made it so that when you hold L in conjunction to a face button (i.e X, Y), it's a set move no matter how you look at it.
-The Touch screen map is confusing. The corners of the rooms don't look like corners (By the way if ANYONE goes "What do you mean 'Touch screen map" on me, press Start a couple of times.)
-What disappointed me the most is NO personality quiz. I tell you, out of EVERYTHING in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, I LOVED the Personality Quiz... even though I cheat the quiz to get Squirtle (i.e keep turning off and turning on the game, watching the ENTIRE intro, and redoing the Personality quiz, that lovely stuff.) Am I the only one to like the Personality quiz?
Old March 10, 2013, 05:36:33 AM
Kyurem

Even I have some opinions on the demo. Let's see...

Spoiler Alert:    
  • Loading times seem to be kept well in check on a Class 4 microSDHC adapted to the 3DS's SD card slot. Aside from the initial boot, that's it.
  • I have a feeling that the Ruby & Sapphire's legal notices font is going to stick around until the DS family hits 480p or higher. It just works.
  • No more personality quiz! It's much easier for me to just pick one and get on with it, without looking at a guide to get what I want.
  • The game is certainly pleasing to the eye, no matter the situation - battle? Map? Whatever. It works so well, even without edge-marking in place.
  • Text speed is on the slow side, though it's still not as bad as the normal speed pre Gen IV. I'd put it around Gen V normal speed.
  • Don't call me maybe. But I just met you! xD Localization is top-notch, as I've expected, and unlike the stilted dialogue of GS. It's more like recent games. I'd put it better than anything past.
  • It's rather long for a demo, though it's not EOIV long! I got around 1 hour and 15 minutes, after two dungeons and one extra.
  • I think I'm going to buy thing game digital.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:12:34 AM
Administrator

After reading the last few posts, I think I'll add a few comments:
  • The small number of selectible Pokémon and the lack of the quiz is a little disappointing. Not that I liked the quiz results most of the time, but I would've liked to see it return...except with the ability to contest the Pokémon it selects and then choose manually.
  • The text speed is a little slow, and I found no way to speed it up.
  • Holding L in combination with ANY of the four face buttons is easily one of my favorite additons. No more setting just one move.
  • On that note, I'm glad to see auto-targetting, diagonal lock, and rotation taking on their traditional buttons,
  • The removal of the hunger meter might actually make me play more of the post game, particularly those incredibly long dungeons.
  • The touch screen map begs to have more contrast.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:20:30 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
[*]The touch screen map begs to have more contrast.[/list]
I blame bilinear filtering

(Seriously, Etrian Odyssey IV opts for nearest neighbour on the bottom screen.)

(Also interesting: Possibly deliberate colour banding on move stat bars)

I've also noticed that Axew's head stops bobbing heavily while reading a sign.

Last edited by Twiggy; March 10, 2013 at 07:27:41 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:37:01 PM

I tried the option to "Discover a Magnegate" earlier today. I found a lot of circular objects in my house, but my 3DS camera didn't pick most of them up as being circles. I tried the two that worked; a cylinder-like candle and my cat's food bowl. Both of which sent me to secret/challenge dungeons. I thought this feature was pretty cool and the dungeons can be tough too.

Earlier this morning...    

The challenge dungeon I was in registered me as an Axew and my partner was Tepig. Both of us had around 60 HP at the time since we were level 12. This happened after a few floors:

Me: *sees sleeping Braviary* Ohhh, this should be fun to take down.
Notice Screen: "Braviary woke up, Braviary used Air Slash! 96 damage to Tepig! Oh no, Tepig was knocked out!"
Me: AHHH! Petrify Orb! Petrify Orb! Petrify Orb! Petrify Orb!
Notice Screen: "Braviary is unable to move!"

Yeah, save yourself the pain and don't pick fights with Braviaries. ;-;
Old March 11, 2013, 08:57:12 PM
Kyurem

I thought it was cool, i like not having hunger involved in this game as it will make more enjoying to lv up my team easier. I might the full version if i remeber too. But ya for that mangagate thing i couldnt even a penny to find a area to check out. (my tv actully worked though for finding an area)

Last edited by kakashidragon; March 11, 2013 at 08:58:50 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:56:32 PM
Giratina

I've finally played it thoroughly enough to have a few likes and dislikes on the demo.

Dislikes:
- First, the removal of the Personality Quiz. I don't feel as attached to the Pokémon I am when I choose, almost to the point where I don't want to use my real name, but that's tradition.
- When stealing from Keckleon's shop (something I've been doing for the past hour ) clones of Keckleon spawn and try to hunt you down. Running away from one overpowered psycho is simple enough, running away from 7 is torture.
- The sound effects for some moves are too similar. Tackle, Ember, and I think Water Gun all share one. And they're all not related.
- There was one Keckleon Bro in the shop. Where's the other one?

- THE GRAPHICS ARE TOO BEAUTIFUL! Like wow, I could stare at the town for ages. And the dungeons are mystical the way they keep to the tile-movement but have actual texture.
- Magnagates are way too fun to fool around with. I'm now inclined to find circles in EVERYTHING and make a Magnagate out of it
- The music is perfect. They got the feel juuuuust right for a Mystery Dungeon game~

Once I get my 3DS fixed, I can see myself on this game 24/7 after it comes out. I have to find out what happens.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:07:01 PM
Giratina

I haven't bothered to read much into it, let alone download it, but after reading some posts I think there might be an explanation for the lack of options;

The fact that this is a demo. For example, for fighting games like UFC or Street Fighter, the demos only have a select 2 or 4 characters. It can be the same for this game possibly.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:25:13 PM
Giratina

Some of that is wrong, probably because you haven't looked into it . The game was already released, there's a confirmed 5 characters to choose from. And you can save in the demo so that you may transfer your save data to the full version, so the portion that's in the demo is what you would see in the full version (aside from the THIS IS A DEMO text.)
Old March 15, 2013, 08:28:06 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Some of that is wrong, probably because you haven't looked into it . The game was already released, there's a confirmed 5 characters to choose from. And you can save in the demo so that you may transfer your save data to the full version, so the portion that's in the demo is what you would see in the full version (aside from the THIS IS A DEMO text.)
Oh. Well, that's what I get for not reading. Well, I'm not gonna get the game probably, I might not even be allowed. Eh, well I'll just look at you guys and your opinions
Old March 16, 2013, 02:23:33 AM
Haxorus

Anyone happen to know when the demo is coming out in Europe?
Old March 16, 2013, 11:30:18 PM
Charizard

Not too sure when it get released in Europe- but apparently the full European version comes out about 2 months after the full NA version release.
I'm a bit indifferent about this game. I love Mystery Dungeon, but I question some choices they made with the game, like how many Pokemon you can play as.
I've actually never tried out the demo yet ( >.> ), but they took out the personality quiz? D: Out of everything you could do, why take out that?
Old March 23, 2013, 01:06:37 PM
Administrator

GameStop says the game should be available tomorrow morning, so anyone who pre-ordered it should head out then.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:08:27 PM
Administrator

Hm, I suppose we can turn this into a general thread about recent happenings, thoughts about the game, et cetera. Be sure to label spoilers correctly.

Anybody get the full game and try it out yet? (I'm gonna pick my copy up shortly.)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 24, 2013 at 01:08:51 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:32:43 PM

I just got the game and transferred the demo data to the actual cartridge. There's DLC for this game, so when I checked it, there were a few maps available for $2.50 each, but the Poké Forest map is actually free, so I got that one.

Now it's time to continue the adventures of Oshawott and Snivy! ^^
Old March 24, 2013, 01:52:47 PM
Volcarona

I pre-ordered it, but the weather just said, "NOPE!" and I was unable to go out today. Seriously, 7 inches of snow, in LATE MARCH?!
Old March 24, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
Administrator

I'm curious, has anyone noticed any other references besides Call Me Maybe?
Old March 25, 2013, 12:35:21 PM
Administrator

Finally managed to pick it up. I shall get started with it later today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5542.JPG
Views:	928
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	4684  
Old March 25, 2013, 01:07:34 PM
Administrator

Well, uhh, has anyone yet been able to download the free DLC? I keep getting an error saying that the server is overloaded (005-4240), and occasionally an error that they're down for maintenance (009-1001). Hey, at least I can still play the game without it.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:04:31 PM
Shaymin

I REALLY want to purchase this, but I am only a few seasons away from driving. Curse my age. I will surely pick it up late today (with some convincing) or after school tomorrow (If I have it).

I so far really admire this game from YouTube videos I have seen of it.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:22:33 PM
Administrator

I was about to buy the $2 DLC pack, but when it errored out after pressing "Purchase" on the free one ("An error has occurred", 005-4040, which should only happen when you travel internationally), I decided against doing that tonight.

As for the actual game, I like how everyone in the square falls for flirts with Virizion. Oh, and Herdier is quite the Yorkie. Just check out his accent, including Scottish slang like "dinnae ken."

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 25, 2013 at 10:33:17 PM.
Old April 27, 2013, 04:12:33 AM
Kyurem

Hmm... I think this thread needs renaming, to be honest.

I just couldn't let my little buddies evolve :3 I want my cuddly Axew and Snivy, dang it, and there's no way I'd put up with something not cute enough. Oh well.

That said... speaking of DLC, I wonder what should I get, aside from the free one? I think I'm a sucker for old music
Old April 27, 2013, 06:21:45 PM
Administrator

I picked up Skills Treasury (lots of treasure boxes and evolution items), Treat Road, and Kecleon Bazaar (for the thievery trick).
Old April 27, 2013, 08:34:37 PM
Giratina

General talk, finally!

I find it hilarious how you get Team Skills from Treasure Chests. I don't remember how they did that in previous games, but it really doesn't make much sense when I think about it. *Opens chest* "POOF, YOU LEARNED A SKILL!" What?

Also, I noticed that I haven't seen a single Link Box since I first played this game. Have they taken out the linking of moves in this one? Cause I would've really loved my False Swipe + *Insert stronger move here* combo that I used extensively back in PMD2.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
Administrator

Yeah, move linking is completely absent in this game, possibly because of the Team Attack and using all four moves via the face buttons.
Old April 30, 2013, 06:23:01 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
General talk, finally!

I find it hilarious how you get Team Skills from Treasure Chests. I don't remember how they did that in previous games, but it really doesn't make much sense when I think about it. *Opens chest* "POOF, YOU LEARNED A SKILL!" What?

Also, I noticed that I haven't seen a single Link Box since I first played this game. Have they taken out the linking of moves in this one? Cause I would've really loved my False Swipe + *Insert stronger move here* combo that I used extensively back in PMD2.
I prefer the way things are handled in the game. If it were like how it was handled in the past games... sticking with only two characters, anyone?
Old April 30, 2013, 05:18:09 PM
Giratina

I don't really like sticking with just two characters all the time. I've even made it a point to make Keldeo and Simon the Digger my new main characters after the game ends. And we can't be together since Simon's Earthquake would instantly destroy Keldeo.

Speaking of new Pokémon, I need to use more than just Excadrill in Companion Mode. Maybe I could whip out Hitler the Mienshao once more. It annoys me how the censors on this game are even tighter than in Black and White, now the exclamation mark doesn't even bypass the censor.
Old April 30, 2013, 06:18:08 PM
Administrator

One of the names I wanted to use for my team was censored, and there wasn't even anything bad in it. I don't remember what I put in, though.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:32:40 AM
Kyurem

One of the things I've noticed with the game...

Besides a hard 10-character limit to names, the game also has a width-based character limit. Use too many wider characters, and you might end up one or two letters short. Hmm...
Old May 1, 2013, 05:09:28 PM
Administrator

Speaking of names, at least it doesn't have that glitch in Sky where it crashes if you evolve someone who has a ten-character name.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:34:41 PM
Giratina

I finally figured out why Elite Boutiques close on you! Apparently they're FAR TOO ELITE to stay in your LAME Paradise forever. So one day they have a big Rare Items blowout sale and close the day after. I think that's a waste of materials to just wait for that day and tear down the shop. Plus, every time you tear down the shop, cute Gurdurr looks sad. And when his cuteness is sad, I GET ANGRY. (I find it odd how Gurdurr and Quagsire are the most adorable to me.)

Strangely, I see a lot of myself in both Umbreon and Keldeo. Umbreon is cool and dark, which I am naturally. Keldeo is fun, impulsive, and pretty crazy, which means he's my kind of guy!
Old May 3, 2013, 08:37:05 AM
Kyurem

Hm...

I think I blew $20 on DLC.

Hey, at least the music is awesome, and now I have too many Axew.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:02:08 PM
Rayquaza

Okay this game is really starting to get out my nerves, first it been countless days since they have introduced a new dungeon, they seemed to have reserved these days to bring in all these stupid gimmicky features I honestly couldn't care less about. There's only so many times I can go into the same dungeon.

I would be less annoyed if you could do multiple missions in a single run but can't for some reason.

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 24, 2013 at 01:04:27 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:22:32 AM
Administrator

Hm, I guess it can be a little annoying not being able to pull two missions at once.

What stupid gimmicky features are you talking about? Paradise?
Old May 25, 2013, 04:31:39 AM
Rayquaza

Yeah pretty much all of it, the game is already pretty easy as it is, I don't all these extra features to make it easier. After all it's not like the main pokemon games give you all these gimicky features grouped up into one area they're spread out.

I mean come on they give you Virizion for your team early on, a freaking legendary before you even beat one!

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 25, 2013 at 04:33:42 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I mean come on they give you Virizion for your team early on, a freaking legendary before you even beat one!
Don't worry, though, she loses her luster when her level gets equalized with everyone else.
Old June 11, 2013, 12:24:06 PM
Volcarona

I've finally gotten up to the last part of the story in this game. This game has had so many plot twists that honestly caught me by surprise! If only the dialog didn't have to be tweaked to cater to younger audiences, this could have easily been one of the more darker Pokemon games made. I'm almost at the Final Boss... and just, wow. The difficulty sure does shoot up by at least 80% here! Dx The music so far in the game has been pretty nice, well some dungeon themes were too happy but that's semi-expected with a different composer on board for this PMD3 game. Some of the remixes such as the Boss battle theme could've used some more depth to capture the actual intense battle feel. But otherwise this OST is just as amazing as any other PMD game. Can't wait to actually beat it, hopefully!
Old July 16, 2013, 03:24:46 PM
Rayquaza

I have to admit the story for the game really is starting to grow on me, I like the fact that the player character is actually concerned with going home preventing this from becoming some terrible escapism plot like the first one.

The only thing this game plot is missing is notable characters like Grovyle, Celebi, or Dusknoir. All the characters in the game don't seem to have very compelling personalities, Verizion could have been well developed but I find her to be really dull.

Thanks to the many people I passed on Street Pass on Friday I now have 20 Reviver Seeds.

Last edited by Magmaster12; July 16, 2013 at 03:27:09 PM.