Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 23, 2009, 06:38:29 PM
Regigigas

Default Your Thoughts on Cyrus?

The Diamond/Pearl games have what is probably my favorite storyline in a Pokémon game, mostly thanks to its fairly continuous development and its villainous team, Team Galactic. Cyrus is probably one of my favorite characters to appear in a main-series game, because he's rather well characterized, through his own words and actions and those of others. He also expresses his own motivations in a way that no other character in the games yet has. However, he is also probably the most ruthless villain ever to appear in a main-series game. So I'd like to see what others think of Galactic's cruel leader.

I would also like to hear people's opinions on the 'theory' that Cyrus was, during the events of D/P, under the curse of Mespirit (which causes one to lose all emotional capacity). One of my friends brought this up, and we debated it for a while without reaching a solid conclusion. I considered his anger at losing command of Dialga/Palkia to be evidence for this not being the case, but one could also suppose that his emotional ability somehow returned after gaining possession of the Red Chain, since he showed no signs of emotion prior to that event. Does the anime shed any light on this situation? I've not yet seen any episodes with Cyrus in them.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:51:00 PM
Shaymin

Default Re: Your Thoughts on Cyrus?

Word for word, when I saw that Cyrus wanted to eliminate all emotion in the world, I was literally saying out loud: "Cyrus, you're a cold m*th*r******r." Sorry for the swears, but it's kinda true.

That Mesprit theory is kind of viable... If you can find any more evidence to back it up I'd totally believe it.
Old November 23, 2009, 08:22:08 PM
Keldeo

Cyrus is a badass~! =w=

Its been awhile since ive been through the storyline but if I remembered correctly he was even leading on his own army of grunts saying "Im going to make a better world!" or some lie like that. Giovanni ain't got nothin on him.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:39:45 PM
Administrator

In Diamond and Pearl, his plan was to destroy all life and start anew using Palkia to shape the world and Dialga to let time run in said world. Then, in Platinum, he realized he needed Giratina to create the negative version of his world.
Old November 24, 2009, 02:06:06 PM
Giratina

I'll make this short and sweet:

Cyrus makes Giovanni look like a mouse.
Old November 28, 2009, 04:48:11 PM
Volcarona

I like how he wanted a new world and all, but I thought he kind of over dominated the plot a bit. In r/b/y Giovanni and team rocket didn't directly show up in the plot nearly as much, and were more of a gang rather than a cult like Cyrus had. Cyrus was awesome, but should have been given higher leveled pokemon.

I wonder what it would be like to have a game without some kind of crazy "team" trying for some bizzare motive... and then have them come in AFTER the pokemon league with higher leveled pokemon than they would have before...
Old November 30, 2009, 05:56:49 AM
Charizard

I agree that Cyrus is the best villian/team leader in the games, that is, since Giovanni in R/B/Y and the anime...it's sad that because Team Rocket isn't set up in Hoenn or Sinnoh that we haven't see Team Rocket (the real criminal organization) since the Johto years (eps. like Lugia or Red Gyarados which ironically Giovanni wasn't even in, not to mention the only time we ever see him at all anymore is in Meowth's boss fantasies). So yes, having played through Diamond/Platinum, and following the Team Galactic storyline in the anime, Cyrus is both evil and delusional...however if I were to name the most ruthless villian in the Pokemon world, it would have be Hunter J....that being said, I am really looking forward to seeing her and Cyrus together (or at least as part of the Team Galactic climax) in the upcoming lake Pokemon episode...

Best Cyrus quote (From D/P/P): "Pity and compassion are the products of the weak and lacking human heart...you were compelled to come here by some vacuous sympathy...I will make you regret paying heed to your heart!"
Old November 30, 2009, 09:08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfInnocence
...not to mention the only time we ever see him at all anymore is in Meowth's boss fantasies
I actually quite like those parts. They were one of my favorite Team Rocket "gags" from early on and I was quite glad when I saw they were still doing it in the Sinnoh region.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:01:24 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfInnocence
...not to mention the only time we ever see him at all anymore is in Meowth's boss fantasies
I actually quite like those parts. They were one of my favorite Team Rocket "gags" from early on and I was quite glad when I saw they were still doing it in the Sinnoh region.

oh, I didn't mean there were anything wrong with them....
Old December 3, 2009, 11:24:40 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
In Diamond and Pearl, his plan was to destroy all life and start anew using Palkia to shape the world and Dialga to let time run in said world. Then, in Platinum, he realized he needed Giratina to create the negative version of his world.
In Diamond, he wanted Dialga to create his own future.
In Pearl, he wanted Palkia to re-shape the universe.
In Platinum, he wanted both of the dragons, but surprisingly, Giratina came from nowhere.

Also, regarding Cyrus, he is awesome and my favorite villain!
Old December 4, 2009, 09:07:10 AM
Giratina

Cyrus is inevitably stripped of emotions, and his character is built on a belief that the world can never be perfect with such emotions that weaken people. We can clearly see this from all his speeches, and his plan to create a new world free of such pathetic emotions.
He is one of my favourite villain characters of the Pokemon series.
Old December 4, 2009, 03:12:32 PM
Shaymin

Has anyone ever met Cyrus's grandpa? It's a pretty sad story.
Old December 4, 2009, 03:39:28 PM
Shaymin

I have and yeah I agree I fell bad for Cyrus. why didn't he have friends.
I've met the person in the desert and the people in sunnyshore who talk about Cyrus.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:33:48 AM
Giratina

[quote=The Spirit of Time]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cat333Pokémon":1ca4gmii
In Diamond, he wanted Dialga to create his own future.
In Pearl, he wanted Palkia to re-shape the universe.
In Platinum, he wanted both of the dragons, but surprisingly, Giratina came from nowhere.

Also, regarding Cyrus, he is awesome and my favorite villain![/quote:1ca4gmii]
That is true that in D/P that he wanted just one so he could achieve his goal. But in Pt, it all had to change to fit the new stroyline.
Cyrus wanted to destroy the universe and reshape it with Dialga and Palkia since he had the red chains, but the Giratina came out, ver very angry at Cyrus for messing with him as the Pokemon of dimensions. So Giratina tried his best to stop Cyrus from doing harm to the world and his world, but Giratina just opened a portal that would destroy their world if Giratina wasn't calmed down.
Old December 26, 2009, 09:50:41 AM
Servine

On the whole curse of mesprit theory, i have mixed emotions about it. Perhaps his emotions came back due to him entering the distortion world, bwcause thats when he begins to show fear/anger. Or maybe its when hes been defeated for the last time by the player. These things could have knocked him out of it.
But perhaps he had a traumatizing history that caused him to express himself with no care for other life other then himself.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:42:30 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
What would that negative world be, a world like our own, with emotion? xD
Old December 31, 2009, 03:22:05 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshykris View Post
What would that negative world be, a world like our own, with emotion? xD
Heh, probably. In that sense it's possible that he'd fail no matter what he did. On the other hand, his distortion world might be even more disturbing.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:35:55 AM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLiquid View Post
Heh, probably. In that sense it's possible that he'd fail no matter what he did. On the other hand, his distortion world might be even more disturbing.
Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that xD
Old January 1, 2010, 12:32:31 PM
Shaymin

He seemed to not have any emotions at all from the get-go. If you ask some of his relatives, he rejected human contact in its entireity as a child, instead turning to the company of machines and computers. He probably picked up his detatched personality from his childhood.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:34:56 PM
Regigigas

Personally, I think his music is terrible. He only had one hit, which is one of the most annoying songs ever. Also, his daughter has no talent.

Oh, wait, that Cyrus. Meh. He doesn't seem evil, just crazy and assured that he is right. It's still probably best not to let him destroy the world.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:23:27 PM
Joltik

He talks too much. I didn't even read his speech.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:17:35 PM
Pikachu

Cryus was built for Evil.
His detailed verdict was actually stunning when I first played Pt and Diamond,
I was actually going, "Wow, finally someone who's serious..."
But I'd say, he's a bit...eh... ^^;

I like his design, said simply.
Oh Epic Battle Music Much? Yes~ XD
Old January 15, 2010, 04:15:00 PM
Floatzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
I wonder what it would be like to have a game without some kind of crazy "team" trying for some bizzare motive...
That much has already happened. Team Magma and Aqua would have killed the world by completing their goals.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:48:22 AM
Cyndaquil

I see Cyrus as overlooking the corruption of humanity. Indeed, emotions such as greed and anger make this world look like it is destined to be destroyed. Cyrus may of intended to create a better world without spirit or emotion to "weaken" people so the goal of ultimate peace may be achieved, yet the vision of such is horrific and shows that Cyrus may also fall victim to those emotions and creating an unquenchable thirst and desire for power. Despite this, the Mesprit curse theory also works.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:05:14 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxray13579 View Post
I have and yeah I agree I fell bad for Cyrus. why didn't he have friends.
I've met the person in the desert and the people in sunnyshore who talk about Cyrus.
He must've had a rough childhood.
Old January 18, 2010, 09:05:23 AM
Regigigas

Based on the comments of the people who knew him, I suppose his childhood was marred by feelings of sadness and loneliness. Those emotions may have stopped him from rising to his potential, and as such, he may have developed a mindset that all emotions are impediments. From there, I guess sorrow compounded these feelings into obsession, and when he learned about the lake spirits, he became determined to erase the very thing that had caused him so much pain. Of course, the irony is that in his campaign against the destruction of emotions, he himself is being driven by very strong ones, which makes one wonder how anything could ever be accomplished in the world he sought to create.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:13:29 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLiquid View Post
Based on the comments of the people who knew him, I suppose his childhood was marred by feelings of sadness and loneliness. Those emotions may have stopped him from rising to his potential, and as such, he may have developed a mindset that all emotions are impediments. From there, I guess sorrow compounded these feelings into obsession, and when he learned about the lake spirits, he became determined to erase the very thing that had caused him so much pain. Of course, the irony is that in his campaign against the destruction of emotions, he himself is being driven by very strong ones, which makes one wonder how anything could ever be accomplished in the world he sought to create.
Yes, such insanities are so misguided as to bring one to their eventual downfall. In trying to rid the world of emotions, the ironically emotion-driven Cyrus breaks down in a fit of anger when the player defeats him in the Distortion World. His twisted reality of a world without emotions would've probably driven him even more insane, with a Distortion World (or opposite world) of life and emotions. Giratina had the right idea when he brought Cyrus into the Distortion World.
Old January 22, 2010, 09:20:15 AM
Volcarona

crazy old guy that needs put in a psycho ward.

I'm serious

Last edited by Flare Soru; January 22, 2010 at 09:20:32 AM.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:30:05 PM
Kyurem

Well, I've always seen his Platinum plot as being somewhat Hitlerish (for lack of a better term); he gets all these people to follow him blindly, because of the big speeches and promises he makes. In doing so, he is wiping out an (or the) entire human race.