Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

View Poll Results: When Should The Tournament Start?
January 1st 4 44.44%
January 10th 7 77.78%
January 17th 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old January 31, 2015, 08:19:31 PM
Kyurem

Yeah its kinda hard to choose sometimes to when to Mega evolve
Old January 31, 2015, 09:09:47 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
I'd think the best call for any Mega (except Garchomp) would be to Mega evolve almost asap if it's typing remains the same.
I can remember a few people leaving Kanga in its normal form in order to hit ghosts with Return via Scrappy and I myself have left Gardevoir in its normal form to take advantage of potential Trace opportunities a few times.

There's also the people who like to not go Mega until the last minute to fool their opponents into thinking they don't have the stone. That's not really my play style, though.
Old January 31, 2015, 09:32:43 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
I can remember a few people leaving Kanga in its normal form in order to hit ghosts with Return via Scrappy and I myself have left Gardevoir in its normal form to take advantage of potential Trace opportunities a few times.

There's also the people who like to not go Mega until the last minute to fool their opponents into thinking they don't have the stone. That's not really my play style, though.
Charizard Y is also one that can be tricky when it comes to deciding when to mega evolve. If you see a Tyranitar or Politied on your opponents team, it becomes a mind game on whether to mega evolve right a way or stay in your base form predicting their switch-in and mega evolving on the following turn.
Old February 1, 2015, 03:18:43 PM
Regigigas

Won my battle against Magmaster 4-4. He forfeited after I landed a lucky burn with Fire Blast. GG regardless!
Old February 1, 2015, 03:19:25 PM
Rayquaza

I had to forfeight my match with Sub-Zero 4-4

I was NOT in the mood to take down a Blissey with both of physical attackers gone.
Old February 1, 2015, 03:37:42 PM
Regigigas

Quote:

That's true. I forgot about abilities. Even so, Altaria is hard to pick. Keep Natural Cure or Mega for power? Keep weather at bay? D: So fluffy!
Old February 1, 2015, 09:01:37 PM
Volcarona

Congratulations to Sub!!! Glad to finally get this tournament moving again!
Old February 1, 2015, 09:22:22 PM
Volcarona

Bracket: http://challonge.com/jtvzl9x9
Old February 1, 2015, 09:30:18 PM
Keldeo

Sorry for derailing your thread, Matt. Eh, not really :^)

Quote:
That's true. I forgot about abilities. Even so, Altaria is hard to pick. Keep Natural Cure or Mega for power? Keep weather at bay? D: So fluffy!
If you're going full-on attacker you might as well go Mega straight off with Altaria, but if you're going for the tankiness that's a hard call. I'd assume it depends on what kind of team your opponent has, if there's a bunch of Toxic Spikes and Will-o-Wisp spammers you probably want to stay normal but if they have a bunch of physical attackers or Ice types you might as well go Mega and get the extra physical defense.

Or you could be like me and carry two Mega stones and wait until you can read your opponent's strategy, but that's better in theory than in practice since at the end of the day you're still wasting at least one item slot.

edit

Uh, Vanilla Altaria's kind of immune to Toxic Spikes under most conditions, but you get where I'm going with this.

Last edited by Dragonite; February 2, 2015 at 06:43:28 AM.
Old February 2, 2015, 06:40:11 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Sorry for derailing your thread, Matt. Eh, not really :^)

If you're going full-on attacker you might as well go Mega straight off with Altaria, but if you're going for the tankiness that's a hard call. I'd assume it depends on what kind of team your opponent has, if there's a bunch of Toxic Spikes and Will-o-Wisp spammers you probably want to stay normal but if they have a bunch of physical attackers or Ice types you might as well go Mega and get the extra physical defense.

Or you could be like me and carry two Mega stones and wait until you can read your opponent's strategy, but that's better in theory than in practice since at the end of the day you're still wasting at least one item slot.
Dragon/fairy is arguably the best typing in the game. Natural cure can be useful though to absorb status and protect some other team members.
Old February 2, 2015, 09:39:12 AM
Keldeo

"the best" type in the game depends on your play style, Dragon/Fairy's kind of useless if your opponent doesn't have any Dragons themselves or your own team is full of Steels, but being immune to one of your own types and super effective on the other is definitely very . . . interesting.

If you use your items wisely you may not even need a Mega Stone to avoid taking damage from dragon, since you could trick your opponents into thinking you do have one so it's useless using those types of moves on you, at least for a few turns. that's where the real fun of competitive Pokmon starts, imo.
Old February 2, 2015, 11:30:59 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
"the best" type in the game depends on your play style, Dragon/Fairy's kind of useless if your opponent doesn't have any Dragons themselves or your own team is full of Steels, but being immune to one of your own types and super effective on the other is definitely very . . . interesting.

If you use your items wisely you may not even need a Mega Stone to avoid taking damage from dragon, since you could trick your opponents into thinking you do have one so it's useless using those types of moves on you, at least for a few turns. that's where the real fun of competitive Pokmon starts, imo.
Dragon/Fairy is never useless. Resistances to some of the most common attacking types being water, fire, and electric with the increasing popularity of grass. Fairy sporting amazing resistances in immunity to dragon, resistance to fighting, dark, and bug which are all very spammable offensive types i.e close combat, knock off, and u-turn. Immunity to dragon is amazing because dragon is an awesome offensive type only being resisted by two other types. Do you know what offensive type is even more amazing than dragon? Fairy. Resisted by 3, all of which are hit hard by ground, nothing is immune to it so, yea. Its three weaknesses are Steel which certainly isn't a common attacking type, poison is rather uncommon, and ice which although was always revered as one of the best offensive types, is losing popularity due to the lack decent ice types and the introduction of fairies to check dragon types.
Old February 2, 2015, 11:51:39 AM
Keldeo

calm down, old man, I just finished saying it depends on the situation. Vanilla Altaria still resists fire, grass, water, bug and Ground, I never said Fairy's bad I just said there are places in Pokémon where Flying and Natural Cure could be better.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:26:36 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
calm down, old man, I just finished saying it depends on the situation. Vanilla Altaria still resists fire, grass, water, bug and Ground, I never said Fairy's bad I just said there are places in Pokémon where Flying and Natural Cure could be better.
I'm calm, I already said that natural cure could be useful; I'm just stating that Dragon/Fairy is never useless because it really is a fantastic type.
Old February 2, 2015, 04:58:04 PM
Regigigas

Whoa dudes. I didn't mean to spark a little talk there about how amazing fluffy M-Altaria is. But yes. I try to make use of it's defensive typing while still being able to hit hard enough. I don't run DD offensive Altaria like I've seen run around. Also, regular Altaria's flying typing comes in handy sometimes, too. To avoid Earthquake though the cost of weakness to Stealth Rock is a pain. It just depends. The point is that Altaria has become extremely versatile with it's Mega. The ability to take hits and check a good amount of Pokemon while being to hit hard back is no joke. I kinda wish it didn't get the attack boost but with it, it adds to the guess of what set M-Altaria will run, unlike others like Pinsir and stuff.

Edit: And that's just discussion on it's typing. Didn't even touch taking Toxic or Will o Wisps for the team. I usually carry a cleric anyways, though.

Last edited by Sub-zero; February 2, 2015 at 04:59:00 PM.
Old February 2, 2015, 08:58:54 PM
Regigigas

Forfeited to Pianomaster. Had 4 against his 5. Was not about to keep the stall going again and I had lost my only physical wall against Talonflame. Gg!
Old February 2, 2015, 09:09:31 PM
Volcarona

Congratulations to Pianomaster19!!! Also congratulations to Sub-Zero on his excellent tournament run! ONLY 3-4 BATTLES LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated Brackets: http://challonge.com/jtvzl9x9
Old February 3, 2015, 12:48:30 PM
Volcarona

Pianomaster19 is victorious against Reuniclus 4-0!!!! Congratulations to Pianomaster!

Also, congrats to Reuniclus for taking 4th place!!!!!

Bracket: http://challonge.com/jtvzl9x9
Old February 3, 2015, 07:19:37 PM
Kyurem

Pianomaster beat me 3-0. Good luck to both in the finals! I'm happy that I got 3rd.
Old February 3, 2015, 07:20:19 PM
Volcarona

Congratulations to GrasspokemonFTW on an amazing 3rd place run!!!!!

The finals have arrived!!!!!!! Between myself and Pianomaster19... Boy am I nervous!!!!!!
Old February 3, 2015, 08:17:27 PM
Volcarona

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AN EXHILARATING SERIES!!!!!!!!!!

-As I thought I was closing in on victory against Pianomaster19, he came out of nowhere and swept the rest of my team with a Talonflame.

-The second match was extremely nitty-gritty and I just barely managed to pull off the 1-0 Victory.

Congratulations to Pianomaster19 for his unbelievable run and his 2nd Place finish.

- I am very very glad to have won this awesome tournament and to be able to call myself the Champion of Victory Road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- A HUGE thanks to EVERYONE who participated in this tournament and helped it to be as epic and fun as it was. I could not have done any of it without all of you! Also a big thanks to Nytz for his amazing commentary!

-Love my Victory Road family!!!

-FINAL BRACKET: http://challonge.com/jtvzl9x9

Last edited by MattyBrollic; February 3, 2015 at 10:21:17 PM.
Old February 3, 2015, 08:43:09 PM

Dang, wish I could've watched. Both of you played very well <3
Old February 4, 2015, 10:44:34 AM
Kyurem

*Poof* Just wait till the next tournament to see who will be crown champion of VR, i'll probably battle more seriously next time But congrats to MattyBrollic! *Poof*

*Speaks thru the shadows* Maybe i can get a slight change to my signature picture, maybe say "Champion of victory road winter 2014" ?
Old February 4, 2015, 11:23:33 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
*Poof* Just wait till the next tournament to see who will be crown champion of VR, i'll probably battle more seriously next time But congrats to MattyBrollic! *Poof*

*Speaks thru the shadows* Maybe i can get a slight change to my signature picture, maybe say "Champion of victory road winter 2014" ?
Thanks

-I would change it to "Former Champion of Victory Road" because this tournament will be bi-annual so it will happen twice a year!
Old February 4, 2015, 03:05:43 PM
Kyurem

That or i'll just make a new one without "champion of VR" in it

Last edited by kakashidragon; February 4, 2015 at 03:06:16 PM.
Old February 5, 2015, 12:18:33 PM
Volcarona

I miss this tournament already I really hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Feedback would be nice! I put a lot of time and effort into running these tournaments and I'd like to have some fun, more unorthodox styled ones soon, but only if you guys would be interested because that's what matters the most to me.

Last edited by MattyBrollic; February 5, 2015 at 12:19:33 PM.
Old February 5, 2015, 07:12:15 PM

Your tournament was great! You're so awesome, MattyBrollic! I wish I could be half as good-looking and battler as you, and I'm sure that leaving my computer on for you while logged on and opened to this page was a great idea!

Last edited by Reuniclus; February 5, 2015 at 08:59:48 PM. Reason: Adding something
Old February 5, 2015, 10:00:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Your tournament was great! You're so awesome, MattyBrollic! I wish I could be half as good-looking and battler as you, and I'm sure that leaving my computer on for you while logged on and opened to this page was a great idea!
Bahaha, nice trolling, Matt.
Old February 5, 2015, 10:51:52 PM
Keldeo

No comment.
Old February 6, 2015, 04:17:43 AM
Volcarona

Hehehe :3
Old February 6, 2015, 10:22:50 AM
Kyurem

Maybe i should host the next tournament I have a good one once I figure out the ruleset.
Old February 6, 2015, 12:15:36 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Maybe i should host the next tournament I have a good one once I figure out the ruleset.
You should! I enjoy hosting them, but I have been quite disappointed in the lack of feedback I have been receiving lately. This is the biggest tournament we've had since I've been here and I just didn't feel very positive vibes or energy this time around. I'd like to take a break from hosting and just play in the next tournament.
Old February 6, 2015, 04:17:30 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
You should! I enjoy hosting them, but I have been quite disappointed in the lack of feedback I have been receiving lately. This is the biggest tournament we've had since I've been here and I just didn't feel very positive vibes or energy this time around. I'd like to take a break from hosting and just play in the next tournament.
You think u can help with doing the bracket making/management?

Last edited by kakashidragon; February 6, 2015 at 04:18:21 PM.
Old February 6, 2015, 04:19:49 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
You think u can help with during the bracket making/management?
Sure!! I can make the bracket and update it and all that stuff... But I don't want to go out of my way to get people to participate and make sure they are playing because it gets tedious.
Old February 6, 2015, 04:36:14 PM
Regigigas

Tourney went well, actually. I think the other one lasted a little over a month or something, no? Took a while, is all I remember. Talonflame is a train wrecker if you don't have a defensive Rotom or Mega-Manectric. >.> Or a rock type but, y'know, 5x weaknesses. Gg all! Next time Talonflame should be excluded since it was the star of the show. :3
Old February 6, 2015, 04:37:52 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Tourney went well, actually. I think the other one lasted a little over a month or something, no? Took a while, is all I remember. Talonflame is a train wrecker if you don't have a defensive Rotom or Mega-Manectric. >.> Or a rock type but, y'know, 5x weaknesses. Gg all! Next time Talonflame should be excluded since it was the star of the show. :3
Thanks! I beat Talonflame twice so it's beatable!
Old February 6, 2015, 04:39:21 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
Thanks! I beat Talonflame twice so it's beatable!
I usually don't have trouble with them, but this time I lacked something to scare it off. But that's how ya learn! Flying type is OP. >.>
Old February 6, 2015, 09:14:44 PM
Keldeo

There's probably a better place for this (and I think I mentioned it somewhere else but can't remember where) but can we have a gimmick tourney some day? Like, the the only move we can use is Metronome, but we can still try to build a team around it that isn't six Togepi?

Could be a fun, lighthearted thing to do over spring break or something, between the serious tournament seasons, and is actually possible now that training in ORAS is as easy as tau.
Old February 6, 2015, 09:53:17 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
There's probably a better place for this (and I think I mentioned it somewhere else but can't remember where) but can we have a gimmick tourney some day? Like, the the only move we can use is Metronome, but we can still try to build a team around it that isn't six Togepi?

Could be a fun, lighthearted thing to do over spring break or something, between the serious tournament seasons, and is actually possible now that training in ORAS is as easy as tau.
That's fun. I would be glad to partake in something like that. However, you should host it yourself if you'd really like to do it!
Old February 6, 2015, 10:49:00 PM
Kyurem

Oh yeah i forgot to say that the day we kicked this recent tournament off, greninja was banned to Ubers. But i cant see why tho, the only person i swept with it was against dragonite.
Old February 6, 2015, 10:52:00 PM
Keldeo

Yes, and let us never speak of that again.