Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Internet identity (websites, accounts)?
You show it to your parents 1 5.26%
You don't care if you parents know it 3 15.79%
You avoid your parents from finding it out 10 52.63%
Your Internet identity is critical secret from your parents 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old June 19, 2012, 10:09:24 AM
Zoroark

Default Your Parents, Internet Identity

I have registered in many websites and forums, and I also made some websites. This caused a concern because I want to keep my online identity secret from my parents my real-life friends, especially my Twitter and Facebook, in fact, my identity was found by my parents once due to a tricky sequence of events that I cannot explain.
I denied the use of my Twitter and lied about the existence of my Facebook account. To heighten my security, I put the privacy settings to max and blocked my mom from Facebook. I am also considering setting up decoy Twitter and Facebook accounts.

So do you show your parents about your website, or you try to hide everything about your online life. Did you ever get found? Do you have two Internet identities for real-life friends and online-only friends?
Old June 19, 2012, 10:40:07 AM

I try to keep my Internet life secret from my parents in general when it comes to VR and Youtube. I did not get found yet, but I know that I will eventually need to tell my parents about my life on VR in order for something to happen. As for the double identities, my online-only friends usually call me Reun, Reuniclus, or rarely David. For real-life friends, they only call me by my IRL name. I also try to avoid sharing my life on VR with the friends I have IRL; I've only told a select few so far.
Old June 19, 2012, 11:21:36 AM
Kyurem

My parents are so overprotective that the internet is the only way I can let myself loose. And if I absolutely have to interact with my family on the internet, then I have to completely isolate that account from the rest of the internet.
Old June 19, 2012, 11:53:31 AM
Shaymin

I keep them as far away from my internet life as possible. If they get any closer, I start shying away from where their getting closer.
Old June 19, 2012, 12:05:21 PM
Giratina

My internet life =/= my actual life at all. If they found out about even HALF the stuff I did on the internet, I'd be without a computer for life. :I
If they get close to my room when I'm on the computer, I shove my mouse to the "Show desktop" button and pretend I'm drawing or something.
Old June 19, 2012, 01:03:24 PM
Volcarona

In terms of internet identity, I don't think my parents would appreciate some things I do on the Internet, so I tend to try to keep it as secret as possible.
On the other end, my IRL friends really have no idea about anything that I have identity-wise, even though they always ask me.
Old June 19, 2012, 02:11:31 PM
Zoroark

my dad doesnt know about VR YT or any other sites im on
Old June 19, 2012, 08:44:28 PM
Administrator

My dad is literally standing behind my back as I'm typing this.

He does know about much of my Internet life. My mom plays ignorant, and it's annoying trying to persuade her that I don't just play games all day.
Old June 19, 2012, 09:50:37 PM
Zoroark

It's a fallacy called hasty generalization, your mom cannot conclude that you play games all day based on only a few observations of what you were doing.
Old June 22, 2012, 03:33:29 PM
Floatzel

I'm surprised at how many people don't want their parents finding out about their internet identities.

Personally, I'm terrified. My mom knows of a few of my internet identities, but not much about them. She thinks I play games.

...Although with me it's usually GIMP or Paint.

Last edited by SilverX; June 22, 2012 at 03:35:59 PM.
Old June 23, 2012, 01:53:46 AM
Rayquaza

All of my internet identities are kept away from the reach of my parents. I don't freak out about it, but I prefer keeping them away from my network life.

My Facebook account has its privacy settings on. I declined my father's and sisters' friend request, just to avoid my sisters telling my parents anything about what I do online. I simply never brought the story of Twitter out, so they don't know I have one. As for the forums, they also don't know.
Old June 23, 2012, 10:22:14 AM
Regigigas

I keep my computer on lockdown, and they know nothing of where I visit, with the exception of Xbox Live with my real-life friends. It's kind of hard to voice chat without a door, so you just learn to ignore it. My mother has trusted me enough to grant me permission to shop online at this point, so I think I've gained her trust enough, and I'm not going to violate it.

I keep Facebook away from the siblings I don't feel comfortable with. At the time I was unsure of my 'religious identity' I decided to set myself as an atheist for purely reactions. Man, long story short, that was a bad idea.

And that is why I keep my identities online with people I trust.
Old June 23, 2012, 01:06:33 PM
Zoroark

Here is another question for everyone, hope some people can benefit from the answers:
If you are using your parent's computer, how do you hide your activities from your parents. If parental controls is not set up and you can login as your parent, do you use parental controls against your parents?
Old June 23, 2012, 06:16:32 PM
Giratina

If I'm using my mom's computer, it's easy. I just open up an Incognito Page and then open another new tab in Google, as if I'm about to look something up. She falls for it all the time.
If it's another person's, the usual thing is that I'll be there for a while, so I just erase the history everyday.
Old June 23, 2012, 06:42:50 PM
Landorus

I really don't mind if my parents know about what I do on the internet. If I don't tell them, they end up yelling at me. So I've gotten used to me not caring if someone see's what I'm doing on the internet.
Old June 23, 2012, 08:00:51 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dewott8 View Post
I really don't mind if my parents know about what I do on the internet. If I don't tell them, they end up yelling at me. So I've gotten used to me not caring if someone see's what I'm doing on the internet.
I wish I could be like that... It's just I'm a lot more free and open on the internet while I'm closed and non-talkative at home. So...I created a 2nd life to escape the dull and evil of my world and have fun here, and other places.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:17:55 AM
Shaymin

It's hard to explain how my internet life and real life actually merge together. My parents know my username and about some of my buddies on the internet, but that's about it. Until you're a really close friend of mine, I tell you absolutely nothing about my internet life. I have two close friends that I actually trust with very private knowledge IRL, and they're allowed to follow me on Twitter, where my real thoughts and other things are shared. Now, my absolute best friend knows a whooooole bunch about my internet life and things. In total, I lead two different lives in 3 different places. At home, I'm quiet and prefer not to talk to my family because they hate me and my opinions. At school and online I let my crazy (and quite often offensive and difficult to get along with for certain people) personality be free. Which is how I really am... But uhm, my mom has been snooping about my online life quite often, but whatever. I couldn't care less. Heck, my dad even knew I was a moderator here at some point... But I would REEEEEEEEALLY rather they knew nothing about my online life, so they don't know much. Maybe 10%.
Old June 24, 2012, 08:31:11 AM
Giratina

I don't care if my mom knows my internet identities (YT and VR) most likely because I know she would never deliberately search for me on either site in order to see what I'm doing on the internet. Although, I'd rather not have her know what is on my YT channel (those who've seen my MMX5 videos will know I use some rather strong language).
Old June 24, 2012, 08:39:36 AM
Regigigas

I'm fine with my parents knowing about my online activity. They're aware of what my interests are in general, so none of it would be any surprise to them, and I always refrain from doing anything online that I wouldn't do in real life. They've seen me fanboy a bit over Pokemon-related videos before as well xD They're also aware I'm a moderator here, though I somewhat doubt they bother remembering the actual name of this site.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:04:56 AM

I have no problem with my parents knowing about my Youtube username. In fact, they seem to be supportive of the videos I make, and they take an interest with it on occasion. But I would never want them to know about my VR identity. The only thing they know is that I go on "gaming websites".