Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 17, 2012, 09:49:58 PM
Regigigas

Default VRIM Jeopardy!

VRIM Jeopardy! is a game that spawned from a couple late-night chat sessions where I asked video game-related questions in the popular Jeopardy! style. I made a separate room for the game so it wouldn't clog up the main chat. Eventually it got pretty popular (and by "pretty popular" I mean there was one game a night for 2 consecutive nights) and it became a semi-official "thing" of VRIM.

The rules are pretty straightforward: If you've seen Jeopardy!, you basically know how to play. However, in the fast-paced world of the chatroom, we've modified the rules a bit to ensure a fair game is had for everyone. The rules are as follows:
VRIM Jeopardy! Official Rules    
  1. There are five categories, and each has five questions, valued from 1 to 5 points. At the end is a single Final Jeopardy! question, where each contestant may risk up to the amount of points they have to participate. Contestants must have at least 1 point and must risk at least 1 point to participate, as well. Contestants are not required to participate in Final Jeopardy! if they do not wish. There are no Daily Doubles, nor is there a Double Jeopardy! round. Contestants may not lose points for incorrect answers.
  2. The host must have all questions and answers written before the beginning of the game and assigned to each category and point value.
  3. Each contestant is permitted to make only a single guess every thirty seconds by simply stating his/her response. Question phrasing is not required. If nobody provides the correct answer in that time, the host is permitted to allow a second guess for all contestants. If nobody provides the correct answer in that time, the question is dead, and nobody gets points.
  4. It is the host's decision to decide if an answer is specific enough, especially with the usage of abbreviations and partial names.
  5. If two users provide the answer at the same time (as judged by the timestamp on the post), the user with the more specific answer receives credit. If both answers are similar enough, the contestant whose answer appeared first on the host's screen receives the points.
  6. Contestants may not transfer points to or from other users, and the host may not arbitrarily distribute points not earned.
  7. It is the host's decision on allowing usage of external resources, such as search engines, other people, and books, which must be stated before the game begins. The host should avoid using questions that are hard require searching.
  8. The host reserves the right to postpone, delay, or cancel any game they are in charge of.
  9. If the host is incapable of continuing the game, he/she may transfer host duties to another user. If that user has any points, he/she is immediately disqualified from the game in progress and must be sent the list of questions and answers to receive host duties. If the list is lost, the game is forfeited.
  10. Final Jeopardy! answers must be sent via VRIM Private IM or forum PM to prevent cheating. If you are caught cheating, you will lose all current points and will be barred from game participation for 1 week.
  11. If a contestant quits the game early by stating intent to do so, he/she loses all points and is disqualified from the game.
  12. If a contestant joins the game late or rejoins later, he/she starts from 0 points at the time. To prevent losing points if they leave briefly, they may simply state "BRB," but this is not required.
  13. The winner is decided by the contestant with the most points at the end of the game. There may be more than one winner in the case of a tie.
  14. In the case of a tie, all winning contestants will be added to the future host queue.
  15. If a winner does not host a game within 30 days of winning, they will be removed from the queue.

Here's the archive of past games. The archive includes game numbers, host names, category topics, game winners, and the Final Jeopardy! question.
VRIM Jeopardy! Games Archive: Old Rules (they were basically Anything Goes)    
Game 1 (The original game, hosted by Velociraptor78) 
Categories: Mario, Candy, Forum Inside-Jokes, Pokémon Moves, British Progressive-Rock Bands
Final scores: Blueumbreon 76, TurtwigX 20, Reuniclus 0 (dropped)
Final Jeopardy Question: What is "The Godfather"?

Game 2 (Hosted by Blueumbreon, transferred to Velociraptor78)
Categories: Scott Pilgrim, VR Memes, Pokémon General, Pixar Movies, Snacks
Final Scores: NismoZ 39, ThePokeMan 21, TurtwigX 16, Soulradio 12, Velociraptor78 9 (forfeited), Reuniclus 4, Super Pichu62 0 (dropped)
Final Jeopardy Question: None due to time constraints

Game 3 (Hosted by NismoZ)
Categories: Mario, Pokémon, Cars, Board Games, Chex Mix
Final Scores: Ditto616 66, TurtwigX 45
Final Jeopardy Question: What is Law and Order: Special Victims Unit?

Game 4 (Hosted by Velociraptor78)
Categories: Indie Games, Gym Leaders, Famous People Named John, Star Wars Characters, Classic Cartoons
Final Scores: TurtwigX 50, Arceus is Epic 35, Reuniclus 7
Final Jeopardy Question: What is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

VRIM Jeopardy! Games Archive: New Rules    
Game 5 (Hosted by TurtwigX)
Categories: Poké Balls, EarthBound/Mother, Video Game Composers, Mario Power-Ups, Memes Based on Reuniclus
Final Scores: Cat333Pokémon 36, Reuniclus 22, Velociraptor78 10, Teamplasma 5, Ditto616 2
Final Jeopardy! Question: Turt couldn't think of one

Game 6 (The Revival Episode, hosted by Velociraptor78)
Categories: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World, Game Grumps, Notoriously Bad Video Games, Valve Games
Final Scores: Bluey 0, Reun 0, Nis 4 (dropped), Turt 22, Fubs 22, TPM 5, Syra 25
Final Jeopardy! Question: What is "West Side Story"?

Future Host Queue:
SyracuvatTenlii

Last edited by Velociraptor78; September 15, 2012 at 06:58:20 PM. Reason: Game 6 got FINISHED. Syra won, he can host a game of he wants.
Old July 17, 2012, 09:57:24 PM
Giratina

1- You idiot, there are FIVE categories. How could you slip up on that one?
2- You make up things on the spot.
3- You normally allow frantic posting as long as other players post after you did.
Other than that, this is quite the fun Chat Game. I'm addicted to it like Chex Mix. =w= I'm still hosting tomorrow, too.
Old July 17, 2012, 10:06:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
3- You normally allow frantic posting as long as other players post after you did.
Other than that, this is quite the fun Chat Game. I'm addicted to it like Chex Mix. =w= I'm still hosting tomorrow, too.
Fixed #1. I missed that detail when typing the rules.

As for #2 and #3, clearly you've never been an admin.
Old July 17, 2012, 10:07:47 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
1. Cat seems to have fixed that

2. Planning questions ahead of time ensures that the host won't suddenly go "Welp, I can't think of anything, better just forget about this category."

3. Frantic posting made it more difficult to keep track of scores and essentially made it into a case of "who can type the fastest". This system is more organized and frankly more fair than the original format.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; July 17, 2012 at 10:08:20 PM. Reason: Cat posted before me :V
Old July 20, 2012, 01:39:57 AM

How often do these games happen? Is there a regular schedule?
Old July 20, 2012, 02:14:02 AM
Administrator

They happen every few days, but there is no regular schedule.

I'd like to jump on the queue. I've got two categories' worth of questions so far.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:19:41 AM
Giratina

Basically, anyone who is on the queue determines which day they'll want their game, so it's really up to them, no schedules necessary. I tried to make my game as soon as possible after I won. It'd be really convenient for them to post a specific day they're hosting like here or something.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:02:38 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Basically, anyone who is on the queue determines which day they'll want their game, so it's really up to them, no schedules necessary. I tried to make my game as soon as possible after I won. It'd be really convenient for them to post a specific day they're hosting like here or something.
Yeah, it'd be great if anyone currently in the queue would announce when their game would be, preferably within a week or so of your win.
Old July 20, 2012, 03:43:12 PM
Haxorus

Just out of curiousity, if I was hosting a game...am I allowed to have a category with picture, audio, or video clues?

I doubt the answer is "yes".
Old July 20, 2012, 03:46:09 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP_NickSkyline View Post
Just out of curiousity, if I was hosting a game...am I allowed to have a category with picture, audio, or video clues?

I doubt the answer is "yes".
You mean something like embedding an image, or linking to a video, and having that be the clue?
If the image is small enough, I'd say that's alright, as long as it's not something inappropriate for the chat and it's relevant to the category. Videos I don't think would work, since some players might be on mobile phones and can't open external windows or tabs.
Old July 20, 2012, 03:59:01 PM
Giratina

Why would you play on a mobile phone if it's a speed related game? Phones are the exact opposite of speed. I think you can assume that everyone is a computer user for the game.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:01:27 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Why would you play on a mobile phone if it's a speed related game? Phones are the exact opposite of speed. I think you can assume that everyone is a computer user for the game.
Maybe some users are on holiday, but would still like to play. Is it really that big of an issue to you for people to use their phone to keep in touch with friends?
Old September 5, 2012, 05:02:46 PM
Regigigas

Oh look this hasn't been updated in a while

New episode of VRIM Jeopardy will be this Saturday, September 8, at around 9PM EST. If you're unable to get to this time, that's fine! There's maybe gonna be a lot of other games for you to attend! Maybe!
...maybe?
hopefully.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; September 7, 2012 at 07:56:17 PM. Reason: Saturday is an 8, not a 9