Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 3, 2009, 03:34:45 PM
Charizard

Default Least favorite Generation?

What's your least favorite Generation of Pokemon video games?
Old November 3, 2009, 03:39:51 PM
Charizard

Default Re: Least favorite Generation?

I actually don't like the third generation. To me, the pokemon all seemed a bit far fetched. For a bit, I was convinced that the third generation wasn't real and that it was just another Chaos Black version if you know what I mean, and checking pokemon.com never crossed my mind as I was convinced it was fake.
Old November 3, 2009, 05:05:08 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai
I actually don't like the third generation. To me, the pokemon all seemed a bit far fetched. For a bit, I was convinced that the third generation wasn't real and that it was just another Chaos Black version if you know what I mean, and checking pokemon.com never crossed my mind as I was convinced it was fake.
It kinda seems redundant to post that considering Chaos Black was a hack of FireRed, a Generation III game. (For those who want more information on Chaos Black: http://trsrockin.com/fakegames.html#chaos)
I knew Generation III was real, and I didn't like it either.
Old November 3, 2009, 06:21:52 PM
Haxorus

WARNING: I WILL GET FLAMED FOR THE FOLLOWING

I don't like the fourth generation very much. I mean, the Pokemon are... weird (with exception of a few, like everyone's favorite aqua weasel, Buizel), and the story was too complex. I mean, RBY had you beating a group of thugs, and DPP had you saving the entire universe. I just miss the days where the games were simpler. I think that there are enough games where you save the world. Pokemon doesn't need to be one of them.

/Before Flame War
Old November 3, 2009, 07:30:05 PM
Administrator

As this is a topic about generations, remember my pet peeve and a forum rule:
Remember not to state any generation as "best".

That aside, I'd say that the (will die for this) first generation was my least favorite. The latter three generations were creative with designs and naming. The first generation, at least in my opinion, tended to be a little lacking and uncreative compared to later ones, mostly in the simple names. (Muk (muck), Jynx (jinx), Onix (onyx), Electrode, Golem, Mew, and Haunter are all based on--or are--real words.) That's why I often state that it is the foundation, because you have to start somewhere.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:16:36 PM
Mudkip

Things to not like about each generation: (these are what I consider the more major problems, not minor annoyances)

Gen I:
-Glitchy, unbalanced gameplay (wtf Psychic type?)
-Mediocre graphics (even for the era)

Gen II:
-Too easy; discontinuity in the form of reduced leveling (for example, Lance's illegal Dragonites)
-Minimal level design in many Johto locations and lots of Kanto areas being made smaller and simpler from Generation I

Gen III:
-Completely broken off from previous continuity; there is no way to access the land of Hoenn in any other game and so many things were introduced that had no connection to previous elements (the legendaries aren't related to the older ones, too many new evolution families and not enough evolutions, etc)
-Too many water routes in Hoenn
-Cheesy-sounding PSGs leading to worse sound quality than the older 8-bit games (this is subjective, but I was really, really annoyed by most of the FRLG remixes)

Gen IV:
-Annoyingly slow gameplay in D/P

All in all, I'm most displeased with the third generation games. Though I think, standing alone in the games, that RSE had the best plot (the motivations for the evil teams made a little more sense, I thought), too many other things bugged me about it. For one, I had been used to the idea of there being one cycling road, one safari zone, and one Pokémon League from the way Johto and Kanto were connected in Generation II. Starting in Hoenn, it seemed like the developers were determined to clone Kanto over and over, and not only does it strain my suspension of disbelief, it makes becoming the champion in one island region not feel so special anymore because there are a bunch of other Leagues and Elite Fours elsewhere.
This still bothers me, but I was able to get over it for Generation IV and enjoy Sinnoh for what it was. And for some reason I can't explain, the Sinnoh legendaries seem cooler than the Hoenn legendaries. Even Dialga, my least favorite of the dragon trio, is cooler than Rayquaza in my eyes, which is odd because I normally really like oriental dragons.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:01:15 PM
Shaymin

I don't have a problem with any generation, or region. I don't. What I DO have a problem with is adjusting to older generations when I'm so used to the newer ones as customary... I can't even stand to play Yellow for a prolonged time because I adjust too quickly to newer controls then older ones.
Old November 6, 2009, 08:45:52 AM
Giratina

Gen 1: (
-Loads of glitches (good for me, I'm a glitchaholic)
-A lot simpler that the new stuff (Only 151 back then!)
-Gets boring after 20 playthroughs -_-

Gen 2:
-Loads of great new stuff (Pokéballs, Berries etc)
-251 Pokémon! (Best amount)
-2 whole regions!
-Great story
-Red.

Gen 3:
-Improved graphics for the GBA
-Music was bad IMO
-Too many stupid Pokemon (some were OK)
-Small

Gen 4:
-Great storyline
-Awesome graphics
-Torn World
-Gold/Silver remakes!
-Loads of new stuff!

My favourites in order:
Gen 2
Gen 4
Gen 1
Gen 3

I really hate Gen 3, it just doesn't feel like true Pokémon to me.
Old November 6, 2009, 05:02:29 PM
Cyndaquil

I least liked the fourth generation. It just didn't feel very...pokemon-y.Most of the pokemon were really weird (save a few, who doesn't love buizel? Oh, and giratina origin form. Cant forget him ), and the graphics were too 3d. As much as I like 3d games, It kinda ruins the feel of it. I think the 2d games were better. And as much as I liked the awesome story and amazing cutscenes, I think they went too far. Saving the universe? o.o thats a bit of a stretch on pokemon...
My favorite would be gen. 3. Emerald is still one of my favorate games ever.
Old November 7, 2009, 04:41:17 PM
Regigigas

4th by far. Not only did it have too many legendaries (11! Seriously, too many), but they also looked like monsters from Godzilla (Giratina = Battra larva). Gameplay = too slow. The only main problem I had with it was the legendaries. And finally the music. Why does the Elite Four and Gym Leader share the same theme? Most of the legendary battles share the same theme as well (Exclude Palkia/Dialga, Giratina, the lake Trio, and Arceus). And Giratina's theme did not have a dark feel at all like it's apperance did.

However the good sides of it- good story. The plot was very interesting and katchey. Opponents, like Cresselia and Darkrai. Platinum~ Torn World. Cyrus.

Overall, it was pretty good. It's just the one I felt less "Pokemon" in.
Old November 7, 2009, 04:48:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero
but they also looked like monsters from Godzilla (Giratina = Battra larva).
You might want to look at the credits for the 10th and 11th movies. Their cries ARE from Godzilla.
Old November 7, 2009, 04:52:00 PM
Regigigas

[quote=Cat333Pokémon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sub-zero":1tz1pxq7
but they also looked like monsters from Godzilla (Giratina = Battra larva).
You might want to look at the credits for the 10th and 11th movies. Their cries ARE from Godzilla.[/quote:1tz1pxq7]
Lol. Giratina stole Mothra's kry. XD

From the Space/time one? I don't think I heard familiar ones...
Old November 7, 2009, 04:52:54 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero
4th by far. Not only did it have too many legendaries (11! Seriously, too many), but they also looked like monsters from Godzilla (Giratina = Battra larva). Gameplay = too slow. The only main problem I had with it was the legendaries. And finally the music. Why does the Elite Four and Gym Leader share the same theme? Most of the legendary battles share the same theme as well (Exclude Palkia/Dialga, Giratina, the lake Trio, and Arceus). And Giratina's theme did not have a dark feel at all like it's apperance did.

However the good sides of it- good story. The plot was very interesting and katchey. Opponents, like Cresselia and Darkrai. Platinum~ Torn World. Cyrus.

Overall, it was pretty good. It's just the one I felt less "Pokemon" in.
Agreed that there are way too many legendaries. In gens 1, 2 and 3 there were:
The Trio (Birds, Dogs, Regis)
The 2 main legendaries (None in Gen 1, Lugia & Ho-oh, Kyogre & Groudon)
1/2 Event Legendaries (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi & Deoxys)
1 other Legendary (Mewtwo, none in Gen 2, Rayquaza)

I really liked some of the Pokémon, they were better than the Hoenn ones. I think the music was really good, it sounded awesome! And with music that good, why should you care if they re-use it!?