Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Victory Road Network Support

Notices

Victory Road Network Support Suggestions? Errors? Comments? Questions?

Search this Thread
Old October 3, 2010, 05:43:51 PM
Giratina

Default [SERIOUS] My Demotion, And Apologies

For those of you who haven't noticed, I am demoted. But you may not know for why, but I will tell you. Simply put it was for using a certain word that starts with V. Definitely not appropriate, I understand, but what I do NOT understand is why I got demoted and infraction for this when this and other words have been used in places like the Chatbox before. In fact, most of my using of this word was in /b/uizel, only a couple other times did I say it elsewhere.

Not to name names but I said it on a certain user's page and that was a bad move on my part - should have thought about it before I did it or I'd still be blue. But really, it took a week for my first post with this word in it to be even though of being bad and when 1 person saw it (did I mention it was in /b/uizel?) I end up with this.

Now, if you go to VR's main page and scroll down to see /b/uizel you will find a description. It reads, "Any form of spam goes here. Warning: this board may not be appropriate for younger users. Please put anything for older audiences on this board. POSTING HERE DOES NOT INCREMENT POST COUNT." In fact, /b/uizel is not even seen by unregistered guests of VR. Another reason why I wonder why what I said is so serious.

Now, I will be honest, I'm a bit immature. Although I have currently removed all of my foul language from the forum and I will try my best to restrain myself in the future. I apologize for what I have done and most of all I apologize to a few certain people.. I believe PMs will be sent to them soon. If anyone was offended I apologize and would like you to forgive me, after all, if I don't have any plans on leaving, there's no reason to have anger towards anyone. after all, this is the internet, and a forum based on Pokemon. Isn't this supposed to be fun?

And to close this off, I am not asking for a staff position, just apologizing, although I want to know a reason for what happened weather it be by PM or whatever. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea to post this thread, but what happens happens.. And I'm posting this. Thank you for reading.

~ SK
Old October 3, 2010, 06:16:13 PM
Keldeo

That's nice that you'll keep a hold of yourself
Old October 3, 2010, 09:30:04 PM
Administrator

I apologize as well. However, I must tell you how demotions and such are handled here.

As Victory Road is much too large for me to scan everything personally, I wait for people to report problems to me. Other staff members who know what to go after will usually take care of problems themselves. The GameFAQs message board rules are quite similar to how I am with Victory Road:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFAQs Help
If your message was deleted by a moderator, that's because another board user marked your message, and the moderator found it to be in violation of the TOU and deleted it. Messages are looked at one at a time and not compared to other messages on that same board. If your post violated the TOU, it will be deleted. If you see someone else's post that violates the TOU in the exact same way, you have the ability to mark that message for moderation as well.
We do have the moderation marking feature here. This icon above a post will lead you to a form. If someone tells me about something, I'll look at it and compare it to the rules. If it isn't appropriate for this site, I'll take action.

With demotions, I usually ask the other administrators what they think of X staff member. If I get a lot of positive remarks, then I'll be lenient. If I get a lot of negative remarks, I typically am a bit harsh.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 3, 2010 at 09:30:21 PM.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:52:59 PM
Kyurem

The word "vagina" is perfectly fine to say: we get shot out of one when we're born. The issue is the context; that is, the thread in question simply went too far. When you take something serious and make it immature, that's where we have a problem.

Here's another example:
Slightly Harsh Language Depending on Your Perspective    

The word "nigge
r
" is used throughout Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It would be perfectly reasonable, if not outright necessitated, to bring that up if we were debating the racism of the book. In contrast, saying "You Lost the Nigge
r
" is more than a little inappropriate, no?

Last edited by FreezeWarp; October 3, 2010 at 10:56:36 PM.
Old October 4, 2010, 03:42:22 AM
Celebi

@ Freeze's spoiler: I don't see it that way since the book was set in that time with saying the n-word was seemingly "okay".
Old October 4, 2010, 12:04:06 PM
Giratina

Cat, thanks.. I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
The word "vagina" is perfectly fine to say: we get shot out of one when we're born. The issue is the context; that is, the thread in question simply went too far. When you take something serious and make it immature, that's where we have a problem.

Here's another example:
Slightly Harsh Language Depending on Your Perspective    

The word "nigge
r
" is used throughout Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It would be perfectly reasonable, if not outright necessitated, to bring that up if we were debating the racism of the book. In contrast, saying "You Lost the Nigge
r
" is more than a little inappropriate, no?
Well, I see what you're saying, buy my whole problem in this is that /b/uizel's description SPECIFICALLY SAYS "Warning: this board may not be appropriate for younger users. Please put anything for older audiences on this board." Mind explaining that?

Last edited by SK; October 4, 2010 at 12:04:57 PM.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:09:57 PM
Celebi

Probably with light curse words like Hell and Damn. =/ Not taboo body parts. It was in the context you said it, too.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:19:31 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Henge View Post
Probably with light curse words like Hell and Damn. =/ Not taboo body parts. It was in the context you said it, too.
Well, I dunno, even those words are said outside /b/uizel of the forums and in the chat, probably daily. Which is why I asked my question. Cat would know the exact answer though.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:26:04 PM
Celebi

It's a personal thing. He doesn't like that word and it is offensive to some people. Like the n-word. It's generally offensive to a lot of people. It's not to me (mainly because I understand the usage and origin of the word.) And I think your question is answered by Freeze:
Quote:
Old October 4, 2010, 01:19:44 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
It's a personal thing. He doesn't like that word and it is offensive to some people. Like the n-word. It's generally offensive to a lot of people. It's not to me (mainly because I understand the usage and origin of the word.) And I think your question is answered by Freeze:

Quote:
Thank you Jebus! ...Can we stop walking around in circles now xD
Old October 4, 2010, 03:35:35 PM
Administrator

I think we're going to consider doing some serious revisions to the /b/uizel rules. The board has turned from fun spammy humor and games to lots of sexual innuendos.
Old October 4, 2010, 03:55:55 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I think we're going to consider doing some serious revisions to the /b/uizel rules. The board has turned from fun spammy humor and games to lots of sexual innuendos.
I'll give you a golden cookie if you just shut it down... But if you revise it, you still get a cookie. It's really a strange coincidence. I just asked Freeze about /b/uizel. (Great minds? Maybe.) I have to agree with you. I don't like to promote spam and the spam in /b/uizel is getting out of hand. =/
Old October 4, 2010, 04:01:40 PM
Giratina

Well, I agree, but some /b/uizel threads actually deserve to live... Although honestly it's been like that for quite a few over months, over 1/4 of a year at least. Although I'd say it's been worse.

Last edited by SK; October 4, 2010 at 04:01:56 PM.
Old October 5, 2010, 03:04:55 AM
Zoroark

If other people agree about certain threads deserving to be there, maybe we could lock the /b/uizel forum but not delete it.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:11:58 AM
Celebi

some /b/uizel threads, like the "Happy 100th Posters!" deserves to stay.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:16:02 AM
Giratina

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I feel inclined to add my stance on the topic of /b/uizel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I fully agree with this. There are many threads which are just too spammmy for /b/uizel. For example, I'm getting annoyed with all those "I clicked *insert name here*'s faec" threads, but I just can't take any action against them, as I have no good reason to do so. :/

Quote:
I'll give you a golden cookie if you just shut it down... But if you revise it, you still get a cookie. It's really a strange coincidence. I just asked Freeze about /b/uizel. (Great minds? Maybe.) I have to agree with you. I don't like to promote spam and the spam in /b/uizel is getting out of hand. =/
Shutting down /b/uizel completely might scare people away from the forums, which we definitely don't want. Also, having some 'fun' over there with slightly less restrictions is always a good change from the forums' atmosphere. But I do agree that the spam in /b/uizel has been getting out of hand, lately.

Last edited by Shadow; October 5, 2010 at 08:22:10 AM.
Old October 5, 2010, 11:08:55 AM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Shutting down /b/uizel completely might scare people away from the forums, which we definitely don't want. Also, having some 'fun' over there with slightly less restrictions is always a good change from the forums' atmosphere. But I do agree that the spam in /b/uizel has been getting out of hand, lately.
XD The first part was a joke, sir. No one wants a golden cookie. They taste horrible.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:55:43 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Eh, all the better
Pretty Bird, Pretty Bird!

Though, if we realistically closed buizel, which is in all honesty still on the table, the best threads would be moved to other forums.
Old October 5, 2010, 02:36:50 PM
Administrator

This thread has been closed as it is no longer about SK's apology. We should start a new thread for discussing /b/uizel.